I'll be there for you

MATO CITY

It's worried that Youngjae went home. Where was Daehyun ? Will he really have to leave ? How can he do to not go ? Who will go amongst his friends ? Maybe Yongguk would...it would be nice if Yongguk go....No! It wasn't nice. It was too dangerous, and Youngjae wouldn't go. Why would he ? Why Youngjae would be their spokesman whereas Junhong seemed to understand perfectly the creature ? Did he have some problems with Hermes ? Youngjae remembered when he had groaned after the young mage. What was going on between the two ? Did they knew each other ? And why would they fight over a mere peasant. Why him ?

He entered his house followed by his parents, that's when he noticed how his brothers and sisters were watching him. Afraid. The same way he must had been looking at the mage through all the past years. So he understood them well, and wasn't annoyed by them. Now he started to understand a bit better what Junhong must had felt his whole life...

Youngjae turned to his parents.

“Mum...are you … ?

No...no...I'm not Darling...

Dad ?

Me neither...we always had only humans in our family.

I am human too !!” Youngjae burst which made his siblings to hide behind their parents. He had always felt near his brothers and sisters, and now he felt like a stranger. He felt like a stranger in his house, with his own family.

“Yeah, yeah, of course. I mean...without...anything special...” while he explained it, his mother lowered to her other kids.

“Go to your room...we will come sleep with you for the night, so Youngjae will can sleep in our room. To be in good shape for tomorrow's departure.”

Youngjae was sure his parents were also afraid of him and wanted him to leave the house as soon as possible. They wouldn't even try to help him to stay here, and Youngjae knew at that moment that he couldn't stay with his family while they were afraid of him like this.

He lowered his gaze and it fall on his wrist, that's when he saw the amulet. He thought back to Yongguk's sister and to what Yongguk had say the day before.

“...she was meant to die, wasn't she ?”

And Junhong had nodded. Youngjae already doubted his amulets never really worked, but he had still hoped it would do something at least. He had spent too much time on it. All this for nothing. He couldn't change anything. He was perfectly aware of that and so the others were, but still they had trust him. Even Daehyun had tried to say it.

“Don't you know the use of it ?”

“I know...”

At that time Daehyun had stopped his sentence here, but Youngjae knew the end. “...but it's not working. Look what happened to Yongguk's sister.” She was only in life because Junhong had saved her. His amulet had been no use. He also, who built the amulets, got attacked

“...I've built those things for naught !!” Youngjae started to demolish his wristband but his mother jumped toward him, stopping him before he could do anything more. The young peasant rose his eyes from the shaking hands on his to the frightened eyes of his mother. Even if she was scared of him, she was still here, standing by his side.

“No Youngjae. Keep it. It will protect you...against yourself.

You don't understand ! It doesn't work !!

It does Youngjae. If you believe in it, it works because it gives people faith and remove their fear. So it works Youngjae. It works.” Youngjae was touched by his mother words, so that was the reason why everyone always complied to him, when he asked everyone to wear it. So it would reassure him. He thought he protected his friends and the kids, but the only use it did had was to reassure himself; and maybe the younger too. Youngjae hugged his mother, he ignored her shaking and he started crying in her neck. Even if she was scared, she was still his mother and a mother always knew how to reassure her kids. She stopped shaking as her own fear of her son was only making him afraid of himself. While he was still crying, someone knocked softly at their door, so only Youngjae's father heard it. He went to the door and opened it.

“Oh, you're the priest son.” Youngjae heard his father said and he stopped to cry right away to listen their conversation.

“Good evening. I want to talk to Youngjae.” The peasant boy felt his heart warming up hearing his friend's voice.

“Is it for him to receive sort of benediction before his departure ?

Sort of...” Youngjae felt like falling into an abyss, did that mean that Daehyun too wouldn't try anything to help him.

“Please, come in.

Thank you.”

The blonde boy appeared in his living and suddenly his redneck home became that beautiful, it could contest against a Palace. It was like Daehyun was purifying everything around him with his smile. He came knell next to him, to pet his head. Youngjae's mother released him a bit.

“Go in our room for you two to talk comfortably.” She proposed but Daehyun had something else in mind.

“I'd like more him to come to the Church, actually.

Oh, okay...” She watched her son, and in the glance they exchanged, they knew it was the last moment they would spend together. Daehyun stood up and left the house to wait him outside, letting him alone with his parents. Youngjae tightened his hug on his mother, during that moment his father came pet his head before going upstairs, for his son to not see his tears.

“Don't hate your father Youngjae...

I won't. I understand.

Yes. Of course you understand. You're very smart, not like us.

Don't say that.” He hugged her more when she started to cry.


 

The walk toward the Church was silent. They were walking next each other, and when they were enough far from Youngjae's house, Daehyun slipped his hand in the younger one. Youngjae watched him as he was dragging him another way than the Church one, didn't he wanted to go to the Church ?

“Let's make a wander.” Daehyun said, as to answer Youngjae's silent question.

“But, the curfew ?

I think, if we get caught, guards would understand, wouldn't they ?”

Youngjae nodded, and they started their wander in the city, starting from the market place. Youngjae admired the city, as it was maybe the last time of his life he would see it. Usually, he would freak out thinking like this, but he felt like death was nothing when he was standing next to him. He would even welcome her, arms wide open. As long as Daehyun stood by his side. The city was really beautiful, some people couldn't sleep; surely the one who would leave. Even maybe, the ones who wouldn't leave couldn't sleep. Too many things had happened recently. Youngjae watched the little streets, the beautiful roads and magnificent paved driveways. Even if, most of the time, he had felt unsecured here, he knew it has always been better than being outside the city.

They went on all the places they were used to go, finishing by the Fountain Place. While their wander they met no one, all the kids must be sleeping now. Youngjae started to cry, watching everything around him and thinking that the image that would remain of this area was an empty place. Whereas he was used to see it, bounded with kids, filled with laughs; or even when there was no one, always the mage would be here, sitting on his barrel. Youngjae walked toward it, and sat on the barrel. Watching everything, thinking it was what Junhong had see.

“Youngjae...” the peasant boy grabbed his knees, letting out some sobs here and there. Daehyun waited for him to stop crying.

“I'm so scared Daehyun...” Youngjae finally could say out loud what he had on his heart.

“You don't want to go ?

No.” The peasant boy answered without watching up his friend. He must be watching him deceived he was that weak. Youngjae kept his eyes glued to the other legs in front him. He saw Daehyun putting his hands in his pocket and he came lean on the wall next him.

“Then don't go.

I can't.

Why ?” Youngjae watched the blonde boy next him, and he met Daehyun surprised eyes. He was really asking him as he seemed to have no idea about Youngjae's situation.

“I don't have the choice Daehyun.

You have, Youngjae. You're the only one restricting yourself, telling yourself you don't have the choice. If you want, we can go to the King together and tell him to not let you go.

Hermes wants me to go...he'll be really angry if I don't.

Hermes ?

The creature from earlier.

Did it threatened you ?

No-

How do you know it will get angry ?

I...I don't know...” Youngjae started to cry again, being with Daehyun made him break his wall. Never he had cried that much in front someone.

“...why are you forcing yourself, Jae ?” The peasant boy heard the blonde boy sighed for himself, and after, he felt the other arms around him. Youngjae plunged his face in the other stomach, before he leaned his side face on him.

“I don't want to leave you Daehyun.

I don't want either, that's why I won't.

What ? But I-

That you go or not, I'm going to stay with you.

But you have to pass the test...

I did it.” Youngjae released the other to watch him.

“You...you did it ?

I can go if I want, I succeeded the test.” Daehyun smiled softly trying to appease his friend. But it didn't have the effect wanted. Youngjae watched him shocked.

“But...you're a priest !” How could a priest succeed in the test, while peasants who spent their day working in fields hadn't ?

“And ? That doesn't mean I don't know how to defend myself...” Daehyun pouted, vexed. Youngjae found him too cute and too beautiful, like Himchan, he was that sort of people, strong inside but with a weak body.

“Don't.” Youngjae stood up to face Daehyun, his behavior changing radically.

“What ?

Don't go. I don't want you to go. It's too dangerous.

If I stay you have to stay with me.

I can't.

Why should you sacrifice your life ?

Because...it's like this. The King said so. I have to go. And the creature also-

Why are you letting others deciding for you ?”

Youngjae pushed Daehyun away.

“You don't want to understand, do you ?! I can't ! I don't have the choice ! I'm nothing ! I'm not like you ! I don't have the right to say what I really want because it's not important !” The peasant boy thought the priest one would get angry for pushing him, but instead he looked sad and hurt.

“...don't say such thing...I just want to help you...”

Youngjae lifted his hands to his eyes to rub it.

“I know...I'm sorry...I...I'm so scared.” With still his hands over his eyes, he couldn't see Daehyun's reaction, but he felt himself being pulled into a hug. He put his arms over the other shoulders to answer the hug, and he rest his head on the blonde boy's shoulder, plunging his face in Daehyun's neck.

“I'm not forcing you. If you want to go I will go with you. If you want to not go, I'll help you to escape and I will run away with you.” All their hugs that night were really short ones, as Daehyun always said things making Youngjae to watch him in his eyes to make sure he wasn't joking. “I want you to be aware that you have the choice.

We can't run away like this..

We can.” Daehyun was dead serious. Youngjae blinked a few times before his friend earnest face broke into a soft smile. “Let's walk a bit more.” Youngjae nodded, and they kept walking hand in hand. Daehyun's warm hand enveloping his cold one. Youngjae smiled for himself and blushed a little, which make him warm himself on his own. He admired Daehyun's features while he was watching the city. Then the blonde boy turned his head to him and smiled again. Youngjae looked away as if Daehyun had just been on the trajectory of his admiration of their surroundings. His heart was beating fast, he just hoped Daehyun wouldn't feel it through his hand. This strange feeling was the only thing he could feel since Daehyun had entered his house, it had blew away the panic and sadness.

They arrived in front the Church, Daehyun stopped themselves before they entered inside. “Here we are.” Youngjae watched his friend wondering. “Choice one, you enter the Church, we sleep inside and leave tomorrow. Choice two, we turn round, find a way to escape and hide for the time they're all leaving the city, then we come back here, telling we lost ourselves or like this.” Youngjae was amazed by the priest boy.

“You're ready to even lie ?

I'm ready to do everything for you. Aren't we friends ?” Youngjae nodded still surprised. Never he had heard about friends like this, but he was glad he had Daehyun by his side. He took Daehyun's other hand in his own and faced him.

“I took my decision.” He had had time to think about it, the fresh air had helped him to make decision.

“Good, I don't want to hear you saying things like your wishes aren't important, because it's what the most important for me. Not that I don't care about others, but if you're not their priority, you're mine.” Youngjae nodded smiling to his friend, to show him he had understand well.

“I choose to leave … tomorrow.”

Without exchanging more words they understood each other only watching in their eyes. Daehyun nodded and they entered the Church.


 

They were all here. Waiting. Junhong was prying and when the two entered he turn to smile to the peasant boy. Himchan came to hug Youngjae. “I'm glad you chosen to come.” Youngjae answered his friend's hug.

“Why are you all here ?

We're here to support you of course.” Yongguk who had followed Himchan, hugged him at his turn. “We're all going. Daehyun told us he didn't want anyone to force you. He scolded us for that.” His elder chuckled.

“I reprimanded my father too.” Himchan explained.

“What ?” Youngjae barely could imagine his friend scolding the King, just because he ordered a peasant...that was really weird.

“It was really harsh, not asking you what you wanted to do. Of course, we would never force you. You were already courageous and nice enough to be our spokesman for today. I don't want to ask you more than you can and want to do.” Himchan said softly rubbing the younger cheeks. Youngjae felt glad he had such good friends.

“You still have until the departure to decide yourself.” Jongup punched softly his shoulder smiling to him. The guard boy had been the nearest to him before Daehyun arrived in his life.

That's when the priest entered the Church. “Let's all make a prayer.” He called the kids, and they all sat at the first row.


 

Lord Jesus Christ our God,

True and living Way, O Lord,

Be my companion, my guide and guardian during my trip,

Save me and protect me from harm, evil and temptation,

So that being defended by your divine power,

I can make a peaceful and crowned journey and arrive safely at my destination.

For in You

I put my trust and hope,

And I give all praise,

All honor and glory,

Now and ever and ever and ever.

Amen !

“Amen!” the six boys answered in unison after the priest.

They all stood up and Youngjae had some eye contact with Daehyun. He wanted to stay a bit more. He always needed to stay a bit more than the others. Daehyun nodded and Youngjae closed his eyes. He wished for everyone to be fine : Daehyun, Jongup, Himchan, Yongguk, his parents, the city, the convey, Hermes, all the people who were waiting for their help...Junhong. He opened slowly his eyes and felt someone watching him. He turned his face and he faced the same situation he had been when he had quarreled with Daehyun.

He watched the mage who was watching him, but this time he was less afraid. He knew he wasn't left alone with the mage. Or maybe because he knew the young boy wouldn't do any harm to him. Junhong smiled to him as if he could read his mind. Youngjae kept watching him, many questions passing through his mind. All the questions he had always wanted to ask him. But now he could, he wasn't sure any more he really wanted to know the answers.

“I'm happy you're willing to come.” Youngjae watched carefully the boy's lips, to make sure he wasn't talking in his mind, and it reassured him to see it moving normally.

“Would you have kidnap me if I had refused ?” Junhong kept smiling softly without answering. “...you not answering must mean that yes.” Youngjae watched his lap, complimenting himself he did make the right choice. He couldn't imagine what the mage would have done to him, but mostly to Daehyun if they had tried to escape.

“Don't think you're not important Youngjae.” When he heard his name, he watched him back, surprised. “You're the most important person in the World right now and for the times coming.

– Until I die ?

Even after that.” Youngjae started to panic again, Daehyun wasn't by his side anymore and hearing about his fate like this was- “I'm not saying that for you to be afraid or anything else. But as Daehyun, it upsets me you think that low of yourself...”

Youngjae couldn't refrain a little sarcastic laugh watching back the crushed paper in his hands. “So you're telling me I'm that important just to reassure me ?” As for the amulet thing...

There was a silent and Youngjae watched the young boy to see what he was up to, but no one was here. He was alone in the Church. The mage had left within a second. He stood up and went join the others in the room where they installed themselves for the night. Youngjae went lean next Daehyun and hugged him. A hug to which the blonde boy answered even if he was already asleep, his body reacting on his own to the younger one. As soon as he reached Daehyun's side, Youngjae felt all the stress flying away and he felt nice, strong, as if nothing could reach him when he was with the blonde boy. He let his glare wandering in the room, and he saw Himchan, Yongguk and Jongup leaning in the same bed, Yongguk leaning in the middle. It looked like the two younger were fighting in their dream to be the one who would be the nearest to him. Then Youngjae saw the young mage, his white face shining in the dark because of the moonlight on it. This time, even if his lips didn't move and that he could clearly hear him, Youngjae didn't panic and almost felt like it was normal to hear the younger voice in his head.

'Maybe'.

3371 words