With my life

MATO CITY

Angel by wlop © deviantart

Youngjae saw Daehyun rolling in his sleep... rolling on /him/ and he couldn't do anything about it. He couldn't even scream, oxygen was missing in his lungs as the tiny's huge friend was crushing him, Youngjae felt like a mountain was falling on him. It was a miracle his body wasn't in crumb already. He thought his moment had come when suddenly a light came from his hands and the second after Daehyun was flying in the air to go crash against the wall.

The tiny peasant boy blinked watching his friend and then watching his hands, what was that light? Did it meant he was a magic creature too, like his parents had thought ? Looking at his hands it looked perfectly normal, like any other human hands. A weird groan was coming from Daehyun, and Youngjae felt cold sweat run down his spine as he turned his gaze toward his friend leaning at the wall's feet, face toward the ground. It was the same fear he had felt when he had entered the tower that night.

“Daehyun !!” he finally managed to scream, getting the attention of his friend.

“Ohh.... Youngjae ?” Daehyun's voice sounded far yet he was only few feet from him, maybe it was only because he was sleeping seconds ago. The priest boy rose his head to look toward where Youngjae's voice had came from, “wh.. what happened ?

I don't know... you were crushing me and-

WHAT ?!” Youngjae hadn't the time to finish, Daehyun cut him mid-sentence, his strength quickly back and the sleepiness away, he jumped toward Youngjae, knelling beside the bed to check on his friend. He did remember Youngjae leaving with Junhong though... “When did you come back? Why didn't you woke me up?” he asked after assuring his friend was healthy. The better he had could because it wasn't simple with a size like his. Maybe it would have been easier to check on an ant. “Oh! Youngjae I am so sorry! I don't deserve you....

No. It's me who don't deserve you...” Youngjae smiled faintly, raising his arm to rest his hand on Daehyun's -ten time bigger then himself- hand next him.

“You're only hurt by staying with me.

I am because I don't stay by your side... but I understood well. I'll always stay by your side.” Youngjae promised. After all, if he hadn't left Daehyun's pocket when he had been with the elf, he wouldn't had been caught by that cat. If he hadn't left with Junhong, he would have fall asleep with him, and Daehyun being aware of Youngjae's presence would have been more careful.

Daehyun's huge smile appeared in front Youngjae which was quite a creepy thing to see from his tiny point of view. The priest boy carefully took Youngjae in his hand before leaning back in the bed where he had been minutes ago. He rested Youngjae on the pillow and the tiny boy snuggled closer to Daehyun, with the warmth emanating from his friend's body, the peasant boy didn't needed any blanket, and they went back to sleep like this.


 

The day after, the two friends were awake by the young mage bursting in their room. After passing days and nights on it, and now he had had the permission to take a look at the dwarfs' huge library, he had found a way to give back Youngjae his normal size.

Daehyun was the first to jump on Youngjae to hug him tightly, a thing he hadn't been able to do because of obvious reasons. For the priest boy it had been like he hadn't see the other for a long long time, “I missed hugging you …

Not me …” Daehyun pulled away from his friend, shocked, only to discover a smirk all over Youngjae's face, “because I could hug you as much as I wanted!” He laughed pulling back Daehyun into a hug.

Meanie...”

After Daehyun, it was all the others' turn to hug Youngjae, almost all the magic creatures and humans were waiting in line for their turn. Yongguk enjoyed everybody was busy with the peasant boy to go to Junhong, and to the young mage's surprise, he hugged him too. Junhong blinked at Yongguk's face when he pulled away, “wh-

Thank you.” Yongguk simply said before leaning forward and rest a kiss on the younger boy's cheek. Putting his two hands on his burning cheeks, Junhong watched his elder walking back to the group surrounding Youngjae. Red was his new skin color, and watching Yongguk's back, someone came stand in front it so the mage was forced to meet Jongup's glare. He quickly watched away and from the corner of his eyes, he saw the guard boy making his way toward him, a not so pleased look on his face. He knew exactly what the other would say to him, so Junhong pretended someone was calling him and he ran away to go hide somewhere to be alone with his thoughts, pleasing himself in thinking that Yongguk would have the same feelings for him. He knew he hurt himself by thinking like that, but he couldn't help it. He had accepted his fate since a long time, and dreaming a bit wouldn't kill anyone.


 

John had insisted for them to stay at the Dwarfs' residency until Youngjae got his size back, now nothing was preventing them to further their quest. The following day, they exited the Dwarfs' mountain, some of them had decided to join them. Each day, they met new people, new friends who joined, who also had heard about that war going on, but mostly to join the peasant boy's sides. It was weird that wanting to stop a war they had to take part of it, but they hadn't really a choice. They fought back, or they died. At least it was what they thought, it was what they wanted to believe in.

After a day of walking, they stopped for the night next a lake. The mood at the camp wasn't as joyful as when they were with the jovial Dwarfs, they finally could feel it, the moment they feared was approaching. The moment of the battle was near.

When they finished installing the camp, a light appeared from the sky, and a girl with white wings appeared. She landed on the ground gracefully. Being the prince, Himchan walked to her, bowing first.

“I am Him-

I know who you are, Himchan prince of Mato.” She cut him with a gentle yet firm voice before she smiled softly at him. Taking his hand, she was about to kiss it before Himchan actually put a knee on the ground and was the first to kiss her hand.

“What bring an angel to us? Does God has a message to convey to us?”

The angel smile faded away and she looked sad, really sad. Her eyes started watering and Himchan understood it wasn't a good news she was bringing to them. “You'll lose, Himchan.” The prince refused to listen, shaking his head, he stood up in front the ange and hold her gently by her shoulders.

“No. It can't be possible. If we believe in, if we have faith and courage, and fight with all our heart, we-

You'll die. All of you.

What shall we do then? Go back from where we came as if nothing was happening?”

The angel girl didn't answered right away, before she looked around and when she met Youngjae's eyes, she looked even sadder than before. Her heart hurting too much, she couldn't watch him more longer. Her gaze scanning the crowd, she finally found the one she wanted to see. She was here for that. Meeting Junhong's eyes, she smiled softly.

“I came to warn you. Don't have too much faith in the upcoming battle. But God hadn't let you down, he's testing you. God will always help the ones that prove their fidelity to him.” It's at that moment she broke the eye contact she had with the young mage to watch the prince again. Hoping the young warlock would have got the message. “Do not doubt about God. Keep having faith in him, always. And he will help you. Go to the battle with a valiant heart. Do what you think is the better thing to do. This is the message God wanted to give you.” Smiling a last time to the crowd, she cupped Himchan's face, flying a few centimeters above the ground so she could reach his forehead to rest a kiss on it. “Don't worry my prince, your guardian angel is keeping a close eye on you” she whispered against his skin so only him could hear her. She kept flying, still her hands on the prince's face so he was looking up to her. The angel flied up from where she came from, her hands reached toward Himchan.

While everybody was talking about what just happened, Yongguk who was standing next Junhong, and who had well seen that it was the young mage the angel had watched while talking, slipped the younger's hand in his. Turning his face to look at him, he squeezed Junhong's hand to give him courage, “you heard her? Don't doubt anymore. Do what you have to do Junhong...

But...

I'm with you Junhong. I won't let you down, and I'll be by your side when it'll happen.” If someone had told Yongguk he would allow such a thing months ago, he would have never believe it. Yongguk wanted to protect everybody, and he was ready to give his life in exchange of one of his friend's one. But now he knew, now he had saw in the young mage's mind the scenery. He had saw it happening and didn't know how he could be so sure about it, but he knew it was the right thing to do even if it broke his heart to think this way. Maybe God had heard them in their prier, when they kept asking if Junhong had really to do that. They just got their answer … from the angel.


 

Hearing they would lose the battle even before it started, some wanted to leave already, not ready to risk their life for a battle they knew they wouldn't won, which meant they would die if not fighting back. What was the use in going in such battles? God himself had already decided of the battle's issue. They weren't enough magic creatures, and what humans could do against other magic creatures ? The prince did a small speech allowing the ones who wanted to leave, to do it right now, they weren't that far from the Dwarfs' domain and as they were now friends, the Dwarfs would help the humans to go back to Mato. He didn't want to force anyone, yet he couldn't help but to feel sad about it.

Moving away from the group discussing, he sat around the fireplace with Yongguk and Junhong who had stayed in their corner since the start. Himchan smiled a bit watching them, he had knew about Junhong's weakness for his best friend, he had always tried for the two to get along and was happy that they finally did. Bad times really helped people to get near to each other, it helped them to ignore their differences and to accept any kind of help, from whoever it came. Youngjae and Daehyun came joined them and they all stayed in silence watching the fire dancing on the dead wood it was eating.


 

“RAAAAAAAAH!! THAT SILENCE IS TOO MUCH !!” Youngjae burst suddenly, kicking the pebble, he was playing with since earlier, in the fire.

“Then say something.” Daehyun commented, unimpressed, looking as lifeless as the whole camp at the moment.

“There's … something … I always wanted to know …” the peasant boy said shyly, his eyes slowly moving from his annoying friend to the young mage.

“I don't even know what happened.” Junhong who had heard Youngjae's thoughts sighed. “After all this time I started to believe it was me who did it. Who burnt my house … and … my mother …

I heard the story from my father …” Himchan commented and they all watched him. “Do you want to know?” he asked watching the young warlock who nodded, and they were all glued to his lips, drinking his words. “It happens that your mother had hidden powers. She didn't want to acknowledge it as she wanted to be normal, but mostly to be accepted from everyone. So, of course you were born with magic, you're like her. But it's only at that moment that your father learned about it. He discovered who she really was … and he ended his days … not because of you, nor because your mother had magic, but because his whole life had only been a big lie, from the moment he fallen in love until you, and he couldn't live with it. He couldn't live with the doubt he had been controlled during all this time. Of course your mother hadn't use any sortilege on him, but for him, the doubt was still here as he had no way to check the veracity of it by himself. She had lied about who she was, so she could also lie about that too if he asked her. As she rejected her powers, she rejected the fault on you, because you had magic, because you had disturbed her perfect life. In her angriness she burnt your house. We don't know who, but someone saved you from the flames at that time.” Himchan smiled to Junhong, “I think you have a guardian angel.”

Jongup who was missing appeared at that moment, he approached them and came stand in front Himchan.

“If you came to mock me...” Himchan stopped himself watching amazed Jongup putting a knee on the ground, in front him. “What are you-

I wanted you to know that I always respected you from the bottom of my heart.

Wh-

I will give my life to protect yours, my lord.

Jongup … this is not funny!!”

The guard boy rose his eyes to watch the prince in his, and it showed it well. Jongup was never lying. Mocking, yes. But never using a lie.

“I will protect you with my own life in the upcoming batter.

No, Jongup. I don't want you to do that. I don't need a bodyguard.” Had he heard what the angel had told him? Or maybe it was what he was thinking about earlier, people getting nearer in difficult times. He felt so happy that Jongup was finally talking to him almost normally, but yet, he couldn't felt the joy to its extend because of the events going on. It was a weird mix, between relief and fear. Fear because it meant that the war was really happening, the times were hard, they needed to stick together, and it was scaring.

“I'm much more than a simply bodyguard …” Jongup stood up and cupped Himchan's face with his two hands on each side of it, “I'm your friend” and he approached his face to Himchan's one to rest his forehead on the other's one. He closed his eyes and whispered, “my beautiful lord.”

Himchan was a loss of words which was a first, he blushed a crimson red as he had never before. Jongup released him and went sit next Junhong very relaxed as if what just happened was perfectly normal, whereas the whole band was watching him, their mouth dropped to the ground. All … except for Junhong. As Himchan had knew about the mage's crush, Junhong, him, had knew about Jongup's one.

 

When Himchan recovered his mind from the shock, he saw Yongguk knelling in front him. “NOT YOU TOO !!” he burst and all the creatures and humans came to knell next and behind Yongguk, even Junhong, Jongup, Daehyun and Youngjae joined him.

“We need you to stay alive, if things turn badly …

Nothing will turn bad !” Himchan was in his prince stubborn attitude at the moment, refusing to hear more bad things after what the angel told them earlier in the evening. But Yongguk remained calm, he had always knew how to deal with Himchan after all.

“ … if things turn not the way we want it to, I want you to fly away with your bird-horse.

Pegasus.

My lord …

Pegasus !

Promise me.. no, us that you will fly away with Pegasus when I'll order you to.

I don't have orders to receive from anybody.”

Yongguk glared to his stubborn friend, yet at the moment, it was also to his prince that he was talking, he couldn't react the same way he would with anyone else. “Himchan.” He called the other firmly by his name, hoping it would make him back to his reason.

“And even less from the blacksmith's son, peasant!” Himchan burst. It hadn't been directed toward him, but Youngjae felt hurt hearing the other talking like that, remembering him that he was nothing. Yongguk stood up and grabbed the prince by his collar, “HIMCHAN!!” he shook him, this time, putting the other's ideas back in place by the strength of his arms. They all witnessed the two fought, not knowing how to react as it was the first time for the two friends to come to fists.

“Yongguk …

Please … Himchan … promise me …” finally it was his best friend's tears in his eyes that convinced the prince who nodded and hugged Yongguk.

 

 

The angel's warning, Junhong's true story, Jongup's confession, Yongguk and Himchan's quarrel, plus the insult the prince had said using his social position, with all this in mind, Youngjae couldn't sleep. He was sad and scared and felt even more lonely than he ever felt: trying to emptying his mind he made his way toward the lake. Never before he had noticed how outcast he had been from his own band of nearest friends. They all had a thing with each other while Youngjae had simply been … the peasant friend. Lost in his thoughts, he felt a hand in his and turning to see who it was, he met the only one who had always really cared only about him. Yes, Youngjae had found his own best friend.

Smiling silently to each other, they kept walking until they stopped to sit at the lake's edge, Daehyun passed his am in Youngjae's back, pulling him nearer to him, the peasant rested his head on his priest friend, they watched the moon's reflect in the water.

“Don't be scared Youngjae.

Easier to say than to do, right?

You have nothing to be scared about.

Yeah … of course. We're about to take part in a war we're sure we'll lose and we'll die, but nothing to worry about …” Youngjae scoffed with his usual sarcastic tone.

“I won't let you die.” Daehyun simply smiled, it wasn't the moment to start a stupid quarrel about what word he had used and they watched each other in their eyes. Leaning his face toward Youngjae's, the two of them closed their eyes as their lips brushed against each other's.

3259 words.