In your mind

MATO CITY

“...Amen.”

Youngjae and Daehyun didn't talk to each other through the whole week; no one nor the other thought to be wrong and waited for the other to come apologize. Daehyun had stayed at the Church helping his father while Youngjae had stayed at the kid's house as he couldn't go to work in the fields because of his hurting leg. At the end of the mess, the priest asked Youngjae to go see him, for a private talk. They waited for everyone to leave so they were alone in the Church ; alone together, and with Daehyun who was busy cleaning the organ.

“What is it ?” Youngjae asked.

“Daehyun told me you wanted to confess.”

Youngjae shot a dead glare to Daehyun who simply smirk to him, he was eavesdropping their conversation while cleaning the instrument. Through the week it only had been low blow like that one between the two kids.

“I'm not the one who needs to confess.” The peasant boy hissed still watching the blonde boy who stood up. He came to face Youngjae and look at him up and down. Their eyes scornfully toward the other in front them.

“You two...you should make peace...

I want to...when Youngjae will apologize.

I am not the one who gave away a present!

I asked you if I could do what I wanted with it!!

You could ! I didn't stop you, did I ?! But that doesn't mean it didn't hurt me !!!

It's not like I threw it away !!!!

IT IS !!!!!!

You two. If you want to argue please go outside...

No need to. Youngjae was leaving.

For once we agree on same thing!” Youngjae left angrily.

The fool ! Daehyun really didn't understand anything about what Youngjae was feeling. He waited the blonde boy the whole day at the fountain place, but never Daehyun came. Won't he apologize ? What was the meaning of the pact they did then ? Best friend to death ? More than friends ? A promise they couldn't break ? He had been the one to break it first...and why was Youngjae caring for him ? It wasn't like they were friend for the past ten years. What happened to the Youngjae who didn't care about what other thought about him ? When everyone mocked him with his countless amulets...

He was complaining how a blockhead the priest boy was to his friends. Even if they weren't really giving a to what he was saying, they were acting as if they cared, but Yongguk seemed full minded into something else. He was sitting a bit apart and Youngjae went sit next him. The elder seemed to be spacing out but he tried to ask him.

“What are you thinking about ?

...it's been a week, and the mage didn't come back...” To his great surprise Yongguk answered to his question. Youngjae watched where Yongguk was looking at, the barrel. And it was true the mage wasn't there. The peasant boy had been too busy to curse at the priest boy he hadn't notice it.

“Do you think he finally left the city ?

I don't think so...we would know it...

Maybe not...

I didn't hear anything from my father, and no one can leave the city without one of the guard being aware of it.” Youngjae startled hearing Jongup behind him. He and Himchan had followed him.

“He's a mage Jongup...he can...” Himchan said pensively.

“I have the feeling that something is wrong, and that the mage didn't left. Be on guard...you all...” The boys nodded to their worried friend. Yongguk had that sort of instinct. He liked to protect others and each time he had a wrong feeling he was always right. Like a mother who know when her child are in danger. “You stay here ?” Yongguk asked the peasant boy when they were all leaving.

“It's been a week...I know Daehyun will come find me and apologize.

Okay...see you.” Yongguk felt a bit uneasy to let Youngjae alone, but they all had to go help to the market and then go home, and even if he wanted he couldn't make Youngjae change his mind. The peasant boy could be so stubborn, it would only be a loss of time.

“Night.” Youngjae answered absentmindedly already thinking about something else. About someone else.

How many hours did he waited ? The sun was long gone and it remained only a few minutes before the curfew. Since the witch attack, everyone in the city was back in their house almost a hour before it rang. Youngjae started to stress a bit, being alone in the streets while everyone were in security in their houses. Youngjae wanted to go home but something was preventing him to. He had the feeling he had to stay here. To wait. He knew Daehyun would come. He didn't knew why nor how, but he knew the blonde boy would come.

The siren rang...but it wasn't the curfew's one.

Mato City was being attacked.

Again.

Without losing a minute, Youngjae forgot Daehyun and started running to his house which was in the same street as his friends. Damn, why was he living in the main street ? The first to be attacked, maybe that was why his house hadn't cost that much to his parents. While running Youngjae heard screams.

“FIND HIM!! FIND HIM!! KILL ANYONE WHO TRY TO GET ON OUR WAY !! WE CAN'T FAIL !! WE NEED HIM !!”

Maybe they were the attackers. They must be really big to have such noisy voices, Youngjae was sure the ones living at the other end of the city could hear them. They must be near him as it had been really noisy and deep voices. He was hiding in a little alley-way, waiting to check if the main street was safe. He saw people at their windows and then he saw his friends, they were all in Yongguk's house. They must had hide in his house as soon as they heard the siren. He had eye contact with Yongguk who told him to hurry to come to his house.

Youngjae ran toward it. But when he was about to enter his house. A big blue halo recovered it, and all the houses around him. Youngjae hit against it and so Yongguk did from the other side. “Run.” Youngjae watched his friend amazed. Yongguk wasn't watching him but something on the street. Youngjae didn't want to turn to watch what it was. “RUN!”

Without watching what Yongguk was telling him to run away from, he started running at the opposite side. But that's when he saw it. There must been more than one. The attackers were big creatures. Which looked like very big big cat, a thousand time bigger than the one Yongguk had. The one in front him was black and his tail looked like a hundred sharp knives. The creature was watching Youngjae into his eyes and the peasant boy couldn't run away. He couldn't move any muscle of his body. He tried to walk backward but only fall on his while the creature was walking toward him.

The monster was only a few meters from him but it looked like it lasted an eternity before the creature reached him. Youngjae had had the time to watch his friends who were looking powerlessly their friend in danger. They couldn't leave their houses. Why the mage wasn't protecting him too ? He must hate him very much or he must be thinking that everyone was already in their houses. But Youngjae leaned more for the first option. Yongguk cursed at the mage ty halo, he couldn't help his friend the same way it had been for his sister. The same situation was repeating in front his eyes and he felt such a failure. He did warned his friend, why Youngjae hadn't listen to him ?! Damn that stupid kid and his stupid stubbornness!

After his friends, Youngjae watched his parents. He didn't know what he was expecting from them, it had been clear since the start. Peasant families did have many children because it was a current thing than to lose one kid or two... Of course they looked a bit sad, his brothers and sisters were crying but his parents were calmed. Was it to support his brothers and sisters ? Or was it because they really didn't care ? Youngjae wasn't sure and didn't really to think deeply about it at the moment. But within him...Youngjae knew. Because it was like this, peasants' families worked. He was still watching his parents when the creature came above him. He felt his hot breath on his face. His mother looked away. A little frown appeared on his father's poker face. Then Youngjae couldn't see his family any more as a big paw came next his head. He was now leaning beneath the creature and when he watched above him he met his fangs...approaching him.

“DON'T” Youngjae screamed. Even if he knew it was stupid, he didn't know what else to do. He had no more choice than to beg. Even if it was an animal. He had tried his best. He waited for the beast's fangs to pierce his skin. He waited. But the best wasn't moving. Slowly he opened one eye. Then another. He watched the creature in his moon like eyes. No, it was the moon that Youngjae was looking at in the beast's eye.

“You can speak our language ?”

Youngjae was too afraid to answer. Was the creature really talking to him ? First, was the creature really talking ?! “Can you understand what I'm saying ? ANSWER HUMAN!” The beast groaned sending his hot breathe and spit on Youngjae's face. Disgusted the peasant closed his eyes and mouth, but was still too much afraid to act. Even if he was scared the out of him, he knew he must answer or the creature would think he didn't understand, and who know what it would do it him then. So Youngjae nodded. Furiously.

Then the beast put his snout against his cheek as if it was greeting him. It was the first time Youngjae heard about a creature like the one in front of him, so he didn't know how he was aware of it but he knew the beast was greeting him. “I finally found you...Listen young human. We need your help.” Youngjae turned his face amazed at the beast. He couldn't believe and didn't understand what the creature could be talking about. That's when he heard the Royal guards coming, he should feel relieved but instead Youngjae felt annoyed at the guards who were interrupting his talking with the young human beneath him... Wait. Wrong. That wasn’t what he should be thinking.

This was the beast's feeling. Why Youngjae was feeling it instead of his own ? What the was actually going on ? “...please human. Tell your alpha male that we need your help...we'll come back tomorrow.” With that last sentence the creature left, running that fast it looked like it was flying. Youngjae watched stunned the beast leaving. He felt empty without it in his mind. He felt like he couldn’t think anymore.

What ? Did Youngjae had just been controlled by the beast ?

He didn't know. He didn't understand anything. It was the same thing as with Daehyun, the peasant boy couldn't think straight. Youngjae was sure the blonde boy was controlling his mind as he never left his thoughts. But what about the beast ? Youngjae felt like the beast hadn’t control his mind. Yet, what was all the things he felt ? Why did he felt nearest to the beast than he had never felt to others beings of his specie ?

...his specie...

It was like the beast hadn’t been controlling his mind, but with him in his mind. Youngjae was thinking like the beast right now. The blue light disappeared and the halo recovering the houses must had faded away. But Youngjae didn't care. The only thing he wanted right now was to run after the beast. To stay near it. And to be his for the rest of his life. He hated humans and wanted to live with the beast. The feeling of the beast’s mind in his own had been warm. As if the beast was protecting him from the world. A world he was scared of. A world where humans were reigning and exterminated magic creatures...

“Are you okay ?” Youngjae heard a soft voice, which slowly brought him back to his reason, to the reality. He wasn't afraid anymore and he felt light.

“Dae...” the peasant boy couldn't end his calling and darkness welcomed him.

2125 words