The Birthday Party

The Way We Are

 

 

Dara’s eyes were scanning on her reflection in the mirror. She looked stunning with her light turquoise dress, combined with a pair of white peep toe shoes. Her dark brown hair was unraveled simply, but a small silver hairclip could give a sweet touch.

“There you go, dear!” Bom seemed satisfied with her own ‘work’. Doing the make up on Dara’s face and choosing a good pair of shoes are some of Bom’s efforts to make her friend became the eye-catcher of tonight’s party.

“Gosh, I even can fall in love with myself.” Dara sighed, then she gave Bom a big hug. “Thank you so much, Bommie!”

“Anytime.” Bom patted Dara’s shoulder, “Hey, you know what? I bet that Dongwook won’t divert his sight when he met you. He talked to you yesterday, right? I believe that’s a good start!”

Dara’s face became nervous, “I’m not really sure... Maybe there will be a lot of pretty girls, I’m just nothing... And this is the first time I’m coming to a kind of event like this, I don’t really know what to do...”

 “Now listen to me.” Bom patted Dara’s shoulder, “You just have to be confident and don’t be nervous. If you look hesitate and awkward, no one will place their eyes on you. Believe me!”

Dara nodded. “I think I’ll do my best, then.”

“Good!”

“Ah, wait! I have to send a selca for Jiyong.”

Then she captured a photo of herself, using a peace sign and sticking out her tongue. She immediately sent it to Jiyong’s e-mail.

“It’s so bad that he can’t go with us... He shouldn’t miss my amazing tranformation.” Dara chuckled, and Bom blurted out into a laugh.

 

 Jiyong parked his car in front of Tiffany’s house, then he walked out with Youngbae and Seunghyun. The crib looked crowded and a loud music was played from inside.

“Wow, she must be coming from a super rich family.” Seunghyun commented after observing the house. “See that large fountain? I’m sure I can buy a new apartment only by selling that fountain.”

“Don’t be exaggerating, Seunghyun. Let’s go inside now.” Youngbae said.

“Wait, I’ve got a mail.” Jiyong felt his cell phone vibrated, then he checked the latest mail that was sent from Dara. He chuckled when he saw the girl posed with a dork style, but wearing a party dress and make ups. He knew she captured herself before she left to the party. Then he read the caption.

 

Poor Jiyongie can’t see my amazing transformation tonight... Even if I were a boy, I would fall for myself kkkk~ ^^; Wish me luck for my first time banging in the club *i got that term from Bommie & i think it’s cool* and have a good Friday night :3

 

So, this is her appearance for the party? She looks good, by the way.

“Who is it, bro?” Youngbae asked. “From your girlfriend?”

“Nothing.” Jiyong put down his cell phone with a smile. “Now, let me explain how we do the party. All we need to do is just observing what Dara is doing there. You guys can go anywhere you want, but don’t tell anyone that you’re coming with me. I’ll just sit and watch from the distance, and try as possible as I can, to be invisible.”

“Actually, what’s your purpose on doing this?” Seunghyun twitched his eyebrows. “You don’t need to worry about Dara, she will do it fine. She’s not your 5 years old daughter.”

“Just do what I’ve instructed and don’t forget to keep your eyes on her. All night long.” Jiyong firmly finished his sentence then walked entering the place, followed by Youngbae and Seunghyun’s shrugs.

 

“Did you guys see her coming?” Jiyong asked.

“Nope.” Youngbae gave him a glass of drink. Seunghyun waved his hand, telling that he also didn’t.

After meeting the birthday girl, Tiffany, and some of his friends, Jiyong decided to sit down on the corner and watching around if Dara was already coming or not. He let his friends to roam around the place and they had to inform him anything about her via cell phone.

“Hi, Jiyong!”

Oh, what the hell.

 

JIYONG’S POV

“Hi, Jiyong!”

I turned back then faced the girl who just called my name, “Hey, Jessica.”

“You’re coming,” Jessica, the girl with 175 cm height—I very know that’s because of her super-high stilettos—came closer to me. “I thought that you won’t.”

“Yeah,” I replied her shortly. Why did this girl have to appear? I don’t want to sound creepy, but her texts these days are getting scarier. She repeatedly asked me to go out with her. I’ve refused her with tons of reasons, but she seems never getting tired.

“Are you alone?” her voice sounded so gross, like she wanted to me.

“Errr... no, actually. Oh, wait, I think someone texts me.” I excused myself to the restroom, then I quickly make a call to Seunghyun.

“See the blonde-hair girl wearing purple mini-dress?” I blurted out without saying hello-or-whatever.

“You mean Jessica Jung? Wow, she looks stunning.”

“That’s it. Now, go there and ask her to chat, drink, dance, whatever, just bring her far FAR away from me!”

Seunghyun laughed, “How can you waste an amazing female like her? Sometimes I don’t understand your way of thinking, bro.” then he hung up the call. But a minute later, I’m not sure that Seunghyun can do the ‘order’ well. So I peeked from the restroom door.

Aha, I saw the girl with Seunghyun already. He pulled her to the dance floor and it seemed like pissing her off. Ahahahahahahaha. You did your job really well, Seunghyun.

Now, it’s time to continue my unaccomplished mission (I feel like I’m in an action movie).

BBZZZZTTT

I picked up the call from Youngbae, my another spy agent (?). “What?”

“See the entrance? That’s your girl coming to the club.”

Without responding Youngbae’s voice, my eyes catched... a “butterfly” that just entered the room. A wide smile was etched on her face. She roamed her sight to the whole people in the venue. Wearing a light-blue dress, high heels, a little bit messy brown hair, she looked so... perfectly gorgeous. So damn gorgeous that I couldn’t even shift my eyes away from her figure.

I felt like my heart skipped a beat.

Then I realize, that gorgeous breathtaking “butterfly” was one and only Dara.

I keep thinking to myself. Is that really Dara? That freaky creature who loves to wear ripped blue jeans and oversized white t-shirts like a boy? And now she turned into a dazzling blue-dressed girl I’ve never met before. I mean, she’s totally different from the selca that she sent a moment ago. She looked stupid in that photo. Maybe photogenic isn’t a right word to describe her.

I was about to walk and say hi to her, but how babo I am, forgetting that I was in a mission to spy her secretly. So, I came back to my seat and watched her from the distance without being so obvious.

But as she walked away, I couldn’t see her clearly from my seat.

Oh, no. I need to know what she’s doing every time in here. Then I immediately took my phone.

“What is she doing now? I can’t see her clearly from here.”

“She’s congratulating Tiffany now... well, taking some photos then greeting some of her friends.” Youngbae gave the brief information. “It seems like she’s having fun.”

“Really?” I raised my eyebrows. “Just don’t keep your eyes off her.”

I waited for about 30 minutes but she didn’t show up yet. So, I stood up and walked a bit to see around, whether she was here or not. Suddenly, I almost jumped and ran back to my seat when Dara quickly approached toward the bar, because our distance was getting closer actually—maybe about 10 steps away from my seat. , I almost got caught. And she wasn’t alone, I could see Bom was with her, too.

“This is awesome!” Dara exclaimed, as she sat down at the bar.

“Told you so, girl!” Bom said. “You wanna drink something?”

She looked up at the bar, then she seemed like admiring the things around the venue. That face looked silly, she was like a 5 years old girl who just came to a new place for the first time.

Oh, my. I can imagine how her face’s gonna look like when she spills out everything that she has seen in here.

But, here it was. A guy was casually taking a seat at the bar, right beside Dara. Both of the girls were instantly turning their faces into the guy.

It seemed like the guy were noticing them—I mean, one of them. And I knew that he directly gazed at Dara then greeted her.

“Hey, we meet again!”

Wait, isn’t that... Dongwook hyung?

“Sunbae-nim!”

Huh? How could Dara already knew him?

Geez, I forgot that they had a conversation yesterday at the sport hall.

Oh, what the hell. This place suddenly turned loud musics on. I couldn’t hear any of them speaking right now! Blah. But even if my ears couldn’t hear, I still kept my eyes on them.

Dara seemed introducing Bom to hyung, and then they were having a brief conversation until Bom left the bar. From what I’ve heard, Bom said she would go to the restroom.

I thought that Dara and hyung would be deadfully awkward when they were together, but not long after Bom left, they seemed enjoying with each other. I could see them having a long conversation... Then Dongwook hyung ordered drinks for himself and Dara. They continued the chit-chat like they never ran out of topics. Sometimes she laughed, so did he. Sometimes her eyes were looking intensely at him when he talked about something, then she sometimes smiled. She looked really happy.

What’s up with this guy? Since when did he become an expert flirt that can make Dara fluttered?

I sighed heavily. I was dying to know what they were talking about. I was dying to know why Dara looked so happy being with him. I was dying to know why Dara could easily get along with Dongwook hyung, despite of her confession that she’s not able to feel comfortable with new people.

That stare... She never shows it before when she’s with me.

That smile... It looked so different with her usual smile.

That face... Hey, did I just see her blushing!?? I’m pretty sure she did!

And shortly, the DJ changed the upbeat songs into the slow ones.

“Wow, I really love this song!” Dara exclaimed, while ‘Crazier’ by Taylor Swift was played. I even laughed at her when she sang this song out loud in her room, and I remember she ever forced me to teach her the guitar chord of this song.

“Really? You like it that much?” Dongwook hyung asked. “Does that mean I can have a dance with you?”

Excuse me!?

“What?”

“I mean, I think you maybe would be glad to dance to your favorite song.”

Dancing together? Isn’t that mean there will be a lot of... skinship?

My God! Dara, that little girl, dancing and skinship-ing with a stranger!? This can’t be happened!!!

“But, you see, I’m not a good dancer. Except if you ask me to do belly dance.”

Hyung chuckled, “Of course I won’t ask you to do it here, maybe later. Don’t worry, it will be fine, you just have to follow my steps. So, shall we?”

I unconsciously bit my lips when hyung gave his right hand. No, Dara, no. Don’t dance with him, I warned you! You will only embarrass yourself if you really have to do the stupid slow dance!!!

“That’s a good idea.” Dara accepted his hand, then both of them walked toward the dance floor.

Is it just me or did I hear a thunder sound?

Not long after that, they already moved their body along the song. Just like what I thought, their position were TOO close. I ruffled my hair in disaffection. I need to do something, but what? I can’t do anything. I’m spying now, you know? I can’t suddenly show up between them and pulling Dara to stop dancing then straightly go home.

“Jiyoong~!” suddenly a hand clung onto mine. “Where have you been?”

I drew back and...

GAH. “Je... Jessica?”

“You wanna dance with me?”

“I... I thought you were with a tall guy over there?” I sounded shaking, but I hoped she wouldn’t listen.

“Leave him alone. I won’t go with a guy who stepped on my feet while dancing.” Jessica muttered. I was holding in my laughter, imagining how terrible Seunghyun’s movements that he could step on this girl’s feet. But that meant a problem, too. Because...

“Come, dance with me! The song’s good.” without answering, I was already pulled vigorously by Jessica and then, she forced me to dance with her on the dance floor with the other couples.

That night, I struggled hard on trying to step away from Dara’s place, but managing to spy her without being obvious and push Jessica’s body because she kept leaning closer to me.

Damn you, Jessica. Damn you, Dongwook hyung. And damn you, Seunghyun.

That night was the longest night ever in my life.