12

Oil and Water

31... 12... 33...

 

Hyesung pressed the button on the electronic device on Eric's apartment door.

 

"Lazy bastard" Hyesung hissed with a smile for the countless times everytime he pressed that 6 digits number. The combination of number that makes everyone shook theirs head whenever heard the reason why Eric uses it for password. Because it’s all on the first row.

 

The door beeped and opened. Hyesung walked in and surprised how clean the apartment is. Never in his life he saw Eric's apartment this clean except he had a guest and when they (means he and shinhwa member) come to sleep over. He remembered clearly Eric just said his apartment is untidy.

 

“Hyesungie, are you awake?”

“Are you kidding me? It’s 10, of course I’m awake”

“hehe”

“What do you want Eric?”

“Can you go to my apartment?”

“Then what should I do there? You wanna eat breakfast toget-”

“I need a t-shirt and jeans, oh… boxer and too”

“huh?”

“Ah, I forgot I haven’t tell you. I was staying at ShinCom last night. I need to finish some papers”

“And you didn’t tell me at all yesterday?”

“I’m so sorry Sungie… Minwoo scolded me last night because I forgot to sign these papers so I went to ShinCom right after his call and I couldn’t tell you because you already sleeping”

“I get it. Have you eaten breakfast?”

“Haven’t”

“Okay don’t go anywhere. I’ll come asap”

“But I want to pee”

“*sigh*”

“Just kidding Sungie. By the way just telling you before hand, my apartment is untidy. No matter how itchy your hands and eyes to tidying up, please ignore the mess”

“Why? You hiding something from me?”

“No Syungie, I just want to see your pretty face faster”

“Tsk cheesy. 100% you hide something from me. You have another girl? Is she pretty? Is she hot?”

“Don’t talk nonsense Jung Pilkyo!”

“Alright alright. I’ll come asap... You need toothbrush too, right?”

“Yes yes. Thank you, you are the best!!!”

“You bring your car?”

“Yes”

“hmm I see, then I’ll take taxi. I’m hanging up now”

“See you later Sungie~”

“Bye”

 

 

“So Eric asked me to come to show how clean his house. Tsk” Hyesung grumbled to himself. He looked around and found something new in Eric’s display cabinet. Curious, he walked nearer to take a closer look.

 

There he found Eric and shinhwa member old photos in frames. He reached one frame and smiled. It was an old photo of Eric, Andy, and him. Hyesung remember clearly it was taken when they were still in LA, a week after Lee Sooman seonsaengnim agreed to fly them together to Korea to be exact. Eric’s father insisted to take a picture of them to reminiscence their younger day when they became success in the future. A wide smile plastered on their lips, they looked so happy and carefree back then.

 

Hyesung put the frame back to its place and took another frame with him and Eric photo on it. ‘Vally K Festival’ singing contest, there was the first time they met and Hyesung took the first place in the contest. Eric acted like a fan and insisted to take a picture together with him as soon as Hyesung walked down with a trophy from the stage. It was taken by Eric’s friend that he didn’t even know his name until now. In the photo Hyesung looked awkward because it was really the first time he took a picture with a total stranger. And that stranger kept praising him and his trophy. After that Eric asked Hyesung’s number, which is of course Hyesung didn’t give because of two reasonable reasons, they just met and Eric is none other than a stranger. Then Eric begged, saying it was hard to find same nationality friend here, he promised Hyesung that he would introduce him with his Korean friends. Hyesung agreed and finally gave his number. Since that day, Eric bugged him everyday with sms and calls but he didn’t forget his promise to introduce him with his Korean friends. From Eric too he knew Andy.

 

Hyesung chuckled. What a past they had… Who expected they would end up in the same group for 15 years even become his lover from that simple meeting? Eric was always a big brother to him since that day. The one he looked up when he happy or sad. So, since when his feeling changed? It stills a mystery. Hyesung smiled as caresses the frame before put it back to its place.

 

“Uncle Steve?”

 

Hyesung startled when he heard a little girl called him with his English name. Is Eric really cheated on him and hide his daughter in his apartment? Hyesung turned his body and his foot hugged by a little girl. Knowing who it was, Hyesung smiled and patted the girl’s head.

 

“Ooh Katie? What are you doing here?” Hyesung asked. The little girl hugged him tightly and kissed his cheek.

 

“Uncle Steve, Katie really miss you! I miss uncle Eric too but we already talked last week so I miss you mooore than uncle Eric!” The girl shouted to his ear and refused to let go of him. Hyesung chuckled at Katie statement and kissed her cheek back before lift her up.

 

“Where is your mommy?” Hyesung asked as brought the little girl to the living room and put her on the couch.

 

“Mommy is out. I’m here with granny” Katie answered happily. Hyesung smiled at her and patted her head again.

 

“So Pilkyo, where is Eric?” Eric’s mom came out from Eric’s bedroom wearing an apron. It looks like she was the one who cleaned the house.

 

“Ohh Auntie!” Hyesung ran to her and bowed. She hugged him and kissed his cheeks.

 

“Auntie, long time no see!” Hyesung said cheerfully. Eric’s mom nodded then put her hand on Hyesung’s chin and lower it to her eyes level.

 

“Jung Pilkyo. Look how pretty you become” Eric’s mother said and that succeed made Hyesung’s cheeks slightly pinker.

 

“Auntie, you can’t say that. I’m a man. I’m supposed become handsome, not pretty” Hyesung replied with a pout. Eric’s mom chuckled.

 

“I would be jealous with your future mother in law. Having her daughter married to a pretty and gentle man like you” Eric’s mom said as pinched Hyesung’s cheek. Hyesung cheeks become redder with shyness.

 

“Auntie, don’t say something like that” Hyesung replied shyly as fanned his hot red face.

 

“So, you haven’t answered my question. Where is my son? I called to scold him but connected to mailbox” She asked. Annoyed because her son not answered her phone call.

 

“Eric is at ShinCom now. He said he needs to finish some papers and signed it. I’m here because he asked me to bring his cloths and it looks like he was in phone with me when you called him” Hyesung explained. Eric’s mom nodded then sat on the couch exhaustedly.

 

“Pilkyo-ah, you should tell him to clean his own house like you. It would be easier for me to have a son like you so I don’t have to suffering like this” Eric’s mom sighed as removed her sweat from her forehead.

 

“Auntie, you want a drink?” Hyesung asked as he sensed how tired Eric’s mom now. She nodded and Hyesung ran to the kitchen.

 

“Here, Auntie” Hyesung handed her the glass. She smiled gratefully to Hyesung and drank the water.

 

“So Pilkyo-ah, I see you already saw the frames over there. What do you think? I brought it from Eric’s room in US and put it there” Eric’s mom asked Hyesung opinion. Hyesung looked at the display cabinet direction and smiled.

 

“It looked really nice Auntie” Hyesung answered and Eric’s mom satisfied with Hyesung’s answer.

 

“How long you’ve been known Eric? Looking at that there is you on every single frame” Eric’s mom asked.

 

Hyesung thought of Vally K Festival. When it was hold? 18 or 19 years ago? He forgot. “Probably 18 years ago auntie” Hyesung answered.

 

“Aah I see. I suddenly remember when you had to sleep over at our house because it was too late. You were really like my cooking back then. You should come and dinner together with us here tonight” Eric’s mom offered him a dinner.

 

“Sure Auntie, and I still love your cooking, after my mom’s of course. You two are the best!” Hyesung said as gave her his two thumbs up. Eric’s mom chuckled.

 

“You looked like Eric now. I mean your reaction is same as him” Eric’s mom said and Hyesung just grinned.

 

“Pilkyo-ah… Since you are one of Eric’s best friends, you must already know Eric has a girlfriend, right?” Eric’s mom asked. Hyesung just stared at her. Didn’t know how to reply.

 

“Uncle Eric has a girlfriend? I always thought uncle Eric and uncle Steve are… an item” Katie interrupted. Hyesung’s face became hot at this little girl statement.

 

“Katie dear, what are you talking about? Go play with gomdorie” Eric’s mom said to her grandchild.

 

“But granny… Katie miss uncle Steve so much” Katie refused to go and hugged Hyesung’s arm tightly. Hyesung smiled and caressed Katie’s hair.

 

“Katie, play with gomdorie. He must be missing you as well” Hyesung tried to persuaded Katie. He didn’t know how to answer Eric’s mother now but Eric’s mom right. A little girl shouldn’t hear this kind of conversation.

 

“But Katie miss uncle Steve more than gomdorie. Can Katie play with you?” Katie pouted as showing her best aegyo to Hyesung. Hyesung can’t resist it but when he turned to Eric’s mom direction. He gulped.

 

“Katie, uncle Steve promise will buy you something and play with you tonight. Now play with gomdorie first” Hyesung said as pinched her cheeks. Katie pouted even more but she stood up and walked away from the living room.

 

“So Pilkyo-ah, what kind of girl that my son is dating now? He said he really serious now and believe that the person is the one but he thinks people wouldn’t agree with his relationship. What happened to her? She had a bad background or Eric just not confident yet to tell me who she is” Eric’s mom asked curiously. As much as Hyesung hated to lie, he needed to discuss with Eric first. He shouldn’t say anything for now.

 

“I’m sorry Auntie… I really want to tell you but I think it’s not my right to tell you” Hyesung answered politely. He stared his hand and not dare to look up to Eric’s mother eyes.

 

“Pilkyo-ah, just tell me. I promise I won’t tell Eric. You must have met that person at least once, right?” Eric’s mom pushed. Hyesung bit his lips and looked up. Eric’s mom looked at him still with her curious expression. Hyesung sighed softly.

 

“To tell you the truth, I know this person… I don’t know what others think about their relationship; and I can’t describe what that person looks like in others eyes. But I can assure you that Eric loves that person and vice versa. I can’t tell you any further. It’ll best if you heard it directly from Eric’s mouth. I’m sorry Auntie” Hyesung said then bowed his head again. Eric’s mother smiled and patted Hyesung’s shoulder.

 

“It’s okay Pilkyo-ah, I understand. I’m just curious because this time is different. Usually he sends me a picture of his girlfriend and bragged about his date but now he didn’t even tell me her name” Eric’s mom said. Hyesung smiled bitterly, couldn’t help to felt a little jealous with all Eric exes.

 

“I-“ Hyesung’s word interrupted by his ringing phone. Hyesung gave an apologetic look at Eric’s mom and picked up the phone.

 

“Hyesungie?”

“Oh Eric-ah”

“Where are you? What taking you so long?”

“I’m still at your house Eric-ah”

“Yah, I’ve told you. No matter how itchy your eyes and hands just ignore the mess”

“I’m not cleaning your house Eric-ah”

“Then what are you doing? You know where I put my clothes, right?”

“Of course I know. I’m not clean it because it’s already clean when I’m here”

“What are you talking about?”

“Yes, it’s already clean when I’m here”

“But… How come?”

 

Eric’s mother gave him a sign to hand her the phone. Looks like  she’s going to scold Eric. Hyesung nodded.

 

“Someone wanted to talk to you, Eric-ah”

“Who?”

 

Hyesung gave Eric’s mother his phone then gave her a sign that he would go to Eric’s bedroom. Eric’s mother nodded to him and Hyesung ran to get things that Eric needed. Hyesung took Eric’s backpack and put in Eric’s T-shirt, jeans, underwear, and a small towel. He moved to the bathroom then took Eric’s toothbrush plus toothpaste and facial foam. After he finished packed everything, Hyesung came back to the living room and found Eric’s mother grinned happily.

 

“Auntie… What happened?” Hyesung asked carefully. Eric’s mom looked up and crushed him to a brief hug.

 

“Eric just said something that made me really happy” Eric’s mom said as gave Hyesung his phone back.

 

“Aah I see” Hyesung responded and put back his phone into his jeans pocket. Although he curious what did Eric said that successfully made his angry mom became happy in a few minutes.

 

“You not gonna ask me why?” Eric’s mom asked, still grinning. Hyesung gave her his happy face and asked her why.

 

“Eric said he’s gonna take his date to dinner later. I can’t believe I finally agreed to what you said. My son is really slippery like a loach. He knew when and how to avoid my wrath and made me happy in a split seconds” Eric’s mom replied. Hyesung gulped in horror and bit his lips again.

 

“Pilkyo-ah, what should I cook for dinner? I should make it really special. Eric never invited his girlfriend to family dinner ever. Looks like he really serious this time” Eric’s mom said excitedly. Hyesung didn’t know how to react in this situation. Confused, annoyed, happy, and scared feeling mixed into one. Confused because he didn’t know how to answer Eric’s mom question. Annoyed because Eric didn’t discuss it with him (again), happy because he felt special when Eric’s mom said Eric never invited his ex-girl into a family dinner, and scared because he afraid Eric’s mother freaked out later with their shocked announcement.

 

“You still come, right?” Eric’s mom question brought him back to the reality. Hyesung smiled awkwardly. Not answered the question.

 

“You had to come Pilkyo-ah. I’ll put extra sesame seeds on the food special for you” Eric’s mom demanded. Hyesung didn’t have a choice but nodded at Eric’s mom request.

 

“What should I cook… Hmm, Pilkyo, do you know what she like? I asked Eric but Eric said just cook what I usually cook because his date would like whatever I cook” Eric’s mom asked again. Hyesung gripped at Eric’s backpack tightly.

 

“J- just… Just cook whatever Auntie… Like I said, you are an excellent cook. Hi- his… his date would like what you cook” Hyesung said, stuttered.

 

“Why you stuttering like that, Pilkyo-ah?” Eric’s mom asked. Hyesung gave her a gesture that he’s fine. Eric’s mom took his hands and making him sat down on the couch with her.

 

“I heard from your mom that you got a lover too” Eric’s mom asked. Hyesung nodded slowly.

 

“How does she look like? You always said you like a cute and aegyo overflowing girl. You got that kind of girl?” Eric’s mom asked again.

 

“Ermm… You can say that” Hyesung answered shortly. Obviously kinda uncomfortable with these questions. But Eric’s mom didn’t know and keep asked him questions.

 

“Can I see her face? I’m sorry Pilkyo-ah, but I was really curious and took a look at your phone’s gallery. Where you hide your girlfriend photos? I can’t find anything except tons of Eric’s photos and your selca with the kids. Won’t your girlfriend would be jealous if she found out no her photos in your phone? Are you in a kind of game with Eric? I found a lot of your candid pictures on Eric’s phone too” Eric’s mother asked. Hyesung smiled shyly. He did take some picture of Eric secretly in his phone but he didn’t know Eric did that too. Hyesung nodded at her. Eric’s mom smiled understanding.

 

“Ah, I forgot Eric said I shouldn’t keep you here for long because he needs to take a bath and eat breakfast. So… see you later Pilkyo-ah” Eric’s mom stood up and Hyesung followed her. Hyesung gave her a brief hug.

 

“Auntie, I’m going to see Katie for awhile. You should resting before continue cooking for dinner” Hyesung said.

 

“Aah, you right Pilkyo. I’ll take a nap now” Eric’s mom said and walked to Eric’s bedroom. Hyesung walked approached Katie who patted gomdorie’s head.

 

“Katie~~” Hyesung called Katie. Katie turned her head and smiled when he saw Hyesung walked closer to her as put her hand on her lips, signing Hyesung that he should quiet because gomdorie is sleeping.

 

“You having fun playing with gomdorie?” Hyesung asked as lifted her to his embrace. Katie nodded.

 

“Katie, uncle Steve need to give this to uncle Eric. So I need to go now” Hyesung said as pointed to the backpack on his back.

 

“What’s inside?” Katie asked cutely.

 

“Uncle Eric’s clothes. Now, Katie should be a good girl and helping granny cooking later” Hyesung told her. Being a good girl, Katie nodded abruptly.

 

“Uncle Steve going to meet uncle Eric, right?” Katie asked. Hyesung nodded at the girl.

 

“Can uncle Steve send this to uncle Eric?” Katie asked then gave Hyesung peck on his lips three times.

 

“Okay, I’ll tell uncle Eric that you gave a kiss to him” Hyesung said as pinched Katie’s chubby cheek.

 

“No! No! Uncle Steve should give uncle Eric kisses too. Three times! Exactly the same like I did to uncle Steve!” Katie insisted. Hyesung looked at Katie confusedly.

 

“You mean, uncle Steve had to give uncle Eric three time kisses and say it is from Katie?” Hyesung asked then blushed a bit when he realized what he just said.

 

“Yes yes! Three times uncle Steve. Three times!” Katie said again excitedly.

 

“Impossible. Katie… uncle Steve and uncle Eric-”

“I’ll ask uncle Eric later to check you delivered my kisses or not. If uncle Steve didn’t, Katie would mad at uncle Steve!” Katie interrupted Hyesung and pouted hard with puffy cheeks.

 

Hyesung let out a sigh then poked Katie cheeks. “Okay, uncle Steve will send your kisses to uncle Eric. I promise. But, don’t ask him in front of others. You can ask him only when he’s alone. Promise?” Hyesung asked as gave Katie his pinky finger. Katie accepted Hyesung’s pinky finger. “Promise” Katie answered.

 

“Uncle Steve had to go now. See you later Katie” Hyesung pecked Katie’s cheeks and put her down from his embrace.

 

“Bye bye uncle Steve~ Don’t forget, three kisses!” Katie said as gave her three fingers. Hyesung patted Katie’s hair.

“I get it. Thrice, right? Uncle Steve really going now” Hyesung waved at her and Katie waved back at him. Hyesung walked to the doorway and closed the door before he leaving to ShinCom building.