The End

My Jerky Neighbor

I remember one night a while back when Daehyun and I still lived comfortably in the apartment complex together. Was that time really that long ago? Though only weeks ago, attending Sunhwa, practing violin, spending time with B.A.P all felt so distant. I wondered if those times would ever come back again... I miss things being normal.

 

 

 

 

"_____... Are you alright?"

 

I pulled my head out of my lap and glanced over to find Yongguk on the floor beside me. It was nearly two in the morning and I'd been waiting at the hospital for hours. I glanced past him to see if anybody else happened to be there. 

 

"I sent the rest of the guys home with the manager, so don't worry," he said quietly. "We're still supposed to give an interview tomorrow, so they went back to the dorm to get some sleep. Not that they could though..."

 

I looked down. "Yongguk... He's gonna be okay, right?"

 

Yongguk forced a smile and nodded. "Yeah, I'm sure he'll be fine. We're at one of the top hospitals in Seoul with some of the best doctors are performing his surgery right now. Plus, he's strong, so I'm sure he'll come out of this surgery better than ever. The only thing we'll really have to worry about now is the paparazzi finding out about all of this..." 

 

"Well, that's a relief," I felt a little bit of the burden weighing down on me evaporate, but not enough for me to feel guilt-free. "Hey Yongguk... can I tell you something?"

 

"Hm? What is it?"

 

There was something on my mind, and I felt like if I didn't tell somebody, I would go crazy. I had been mulling over whether to go through with a certain decision all night. Should I act on this or not, at this time I had finally made up my mind. I bit my lip, readying myself to let Yongguk in on what I had to do.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I entered into the room behind a stout, heavy-set nurse, heart-thumping. My tired eyes darted around the room, landing on the bedridden Daehyun. There was a IV sticking out of one of his arms, sealed with a patch of white, medical tape. A line of guaze wrapped around his chest could be seen poking out of his shirt. When the pale-faced Daehyun glanced up, his eyes softened, a small smile tugging up at his colorless lips. 

 

The surgeon had come when Yongguk and I were talking and delivered the good news. Daehyun's surgery had been a success! Luckily, the bullet hadn't ruptured anything vital, so he was never in any real danger. All that he needed now was some rest to recover.

 

The nurse excused herself silently, leaving us to ourselves. I approached Daehyun hesitantly, not even sure how to begin to apologize. All of what has happened so far has been because of me. If I had been more careful walking home and not gotten blinde-sided, I could've escaped from those goons on my own. Even if he was just trying to protect me, I felt aweful. How can he even stand to look at me right now? I couldn't understand.

 

I knelt down beside his bed and took his limp hand in mine. "Daehyun, I-"

 

"_____," he cut me off. His voice sounded faint, choppy.

 

"Yeah, what... is it?"

 

He leaned close to me and suddenly stole a kiss from my lips. My eyes turned as wide as saucers and I leapt up. 

 

He smiled up at me, his whole face lighting up. "Good, it doesn't seem like you're hurt."

 

My eyebrows knit together tightly and my mouth hung agape. "Y-yah, is that what's important right now?" I could feel my fists ball. "You nearly got killed yesterday and you're worried about me? Unbelievable."

 

He fell back into the hospital bed, his strength seeming to seep out of him. "Uh-huh... I was really worried..." 

 

It really hit me just how ghastly he looked. Skin-deep cuts speckled his jaw and neck, somber eyes gazed almost through me, his white skin lacking in color. I couldn't bear to look at him any longer, so I turned away, catching him off-guard. He tilted his head, confused.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

I felt my heart plumit at his words. How can he still worry for me like this? How can he still care about someone who was almost responsible for getting him killed? Even though, deep down, I knew it wasn't my fault, it still hurt knowing he was in this state because he had tried to help me. 

 

I quickly sputtered something out, not wanting Daehyun to see through to my thoughts. "Yongguk told me that the guys after you were caught by the police not soon after they left the school. Jiyong included."

 

Daehyun nodded unsurely, never taking his eyes off of me. "I see..."

 

Still unable to look at him, I stared at the sleek, tile floor and cleared my throat. "Daehyun... things have gotten hard for us, or mainly, you. Don't you think that this relationship has gotten... tiring?"

 

"Huh?" 

 

Takind a deep breath, I finally faced him. My confidence was already diminishing, and I could feel my knees growing weak. I had to go through with this now because I know that I'd most certainly change my mind later.

 

"Daehyun, this is getting burdensome, don't you agree? This relationship has been complicated from the beginning, and I guess I just realized it. You were shot because you were trying to protect me. How do you expect me to deal with that?"

 

"_____," he stared at me in disbelief. 

 

I continued. "Honestly, sometimes it feels like we come from two different worlds. I'm sorry, but... this is too much for me. I'm selfish. I can't stand seeing getting hurt because of me, so lets stop before I have to say good-bye to you for real."

 

His mouth fell, and nothing came out for the longest time. 

 

I took advantage of the silence and delivered the final blow. "Daehyun, lets break up. I can't see you anymore."