Matter Settled

My Jerky Neighbor

Jiyong advanced towards Daehyun, his teeth gritted and temper flaring. His personality had drastically changed. I squealed, my hands darting over my mouth when he lunged at Daehyun. Both guys came crashing down onto the floor. Jiyong senselessly swung punch after punch at his victim, who only managed to evade a few.

 

That's when I dove into the gym, making a break for the opposite wall. Luckily, in the mess of a brawl going on, and with Jiyong's croonies currently distracted, I had gone unnoticed. Flying against the gym wall, I stole a few glances at the fight before me. Jiyong was on top of Daehyun, still attacking him with no sign of stopping, yet Daehyun wasn't fighting back. With his arms out in front of him, it looked like he was only trying to protect himself. I bit my lip. Fight back Daehyun, come on, don't let him hurt you like this.

 

I spun back around and began searching the chipped, plaster wall. My eyes rested on what I had been looking for; the gymnasium's electricity box. It was tucked away on the other side of the wall, just out of sight if not looking for it.

 

"Yah!" somebody screamed.

 

My eyes grew in horror, I tensed up, but didn't dare turn around.

 

"Yah, yah, yah! How'd she get in here? Somebody grab her!"

 

Loud footsteps clambered across the gym towards me, which kicked my adrenaline into overdrive. I ran to the electrical box and tore it open. It looked so old, but I prayed, with every ounce of my being, that it still worked. I frantically unplugged every wire and cable that could be unplugged. No sooner had I begun, that the gym lights gave out, casting the room into pitch darkness.

 

"Daehyun, now's your chance! Run!" I screamed, narrowly missing the thug who threw out his hands in an attempt to grab me. Though I couldn't see, I split for where I remembered the gym doors to be. I desperately hoped that he was able to take this chance to escape, that he had enough strength and energy to do so.

 

I was reaching the door, but then somebody grabbed ahold of my hand. I was startled, but relieved as that person pulled me along with them out of the gym. Once the door slammed behind us, I paused and stared at the back of Daehyun's touseled platinum blonde hair. He turned slowely, his breath coming out in broken gasps.

 

Threatening shouts came from the shut door. They were coming. Daehyun's bruised face filled with panic. "C'mon," he tugged at my hand. He continued to clutch my sweaty palm as we dashed down the hallway.

 

We winded through the deteriorating school, and judging by the unrelenting shouts and heavy footsteps that only grew louder, I knew that Jiyong's gang was growing closer. I glanced behind us to see how far away they lagged. Daehyun took that as cue to dive into the nearest classroom, yanking me along with him. He didn't shut the door behind us, but instead pulled me close to him as we crouched behind it. The room had no windows, so we were able to be concealed in the darkness.

 

The gang screeched to a stop directly outside of the room. We both held our breath.

 

"Where'd they go?" Jiyong snapped. "Did you lose him?"

 

"They probably went down the stairs. That's where the entrance is."

 

"Well, split up. You guys go that way, and you go that way. I want you to find them, and bring them to me alive," Jiyong's voice grew dangerously sharp.

 

I could see through the tiny crack between the door and the wall some of the men scurrying off. Only Jiyong remained now. I was frightened that he would turn and see us huddled there, but he only sighed and left. But not before he muttered a barely audible, "Daehyun... that crazy bastard..."

 

Daehyun was finally able to relax and breath easier. He slumped down and rested his head against the back wall. But then his eyes flickered open and he looked over at me. "Are you okay?"

 

I shook my head.

 

He nodded slowely, accepting my answer. "I'm taking that you heard about my father?"

 

I didn't answer, and after awhile he cocked his and analyzed me. His grip loosened. "Sorry... that you had to find out like this. And sorry that you've been put in such danger. But don't worry, I'll protect you. You stay here, I'm going to go out there and distract them, then you run out of the school," he told me, pulling himself off the ground.

 

"No, don't go out there by yourself!" I begged. "Let's go together."

 

Daehyun shot me a look like I was crazy. He sighed. Then, he knelt down and placed a soft kiss on my lips. "Okay, let's go together. But stay close."

 

Just as we were prepared to sneak out of the classroom, Daehyun said one final thing. "Don't worry too much. Jiyong won't hurt you. If something happens and we get split up and you can't find me... just... this sounds strange, but... find Jiyong and stay glued to his side."

 

I looked up at him, but his stoic facial expression gave me nothing but more unanswered questions. 

 

***

 

"Lets make a break for the rooftop," Daehyun whispered, peeking out from behind a wall. "The doors probably blocked downstairs, and the coast is clear..."

 

I gulped and scurried along with Daehyun up the forgotton staircase. We cleared the first stairwell no problem. However, once we had reached the next level, our luck seemed to run out. 

 

An extrememly well built, shirtless man loomed around the hallway, his back to us. Daehyun froze. I, like Daehyun, had no idea what to do. Should we try to make it up the rest of the stairs? 

 

The guy turned around.

 

Daehyun grabbed ahold of my wrist and darted like the wind up the stairs.

 

"Hey! There they are!" The man screamed, sprinting after us. 

 

The sounds of his gruff voice struck terror through me, causing me to almost loose my footing on the stairs. Luckily, Daehyun caught me and yanked me up, carrying me in his arms as he bounded up the remainder of the stairs. Ear-splitting popping noises filled the air around us. Gun-shots. I quivered, burying my head in Daehyun's chest. His breathing was now audible. His legs moved so fast as he reached the next floor, the floor after that, and the floor after that, I thought they would just give out. At last, we arrived at the door leading out to the roof. 

 

Daehyun didn't waste any time busting open the door and slamming it shut behind us. We were freed from the confindes of the school, only to be thrown out into the bleak, endless night. However, a new threat opposed us now. Now we were completely stuck, trapped, with nowhere to run to. We had nothing to do but await what we've been avoiding all night. And just as soon as that hopeless thought passed through my mind, the fuming gang broke down the rooftop door, guns loaded and ready to fire in their hands.