Thank-You

My Jerky Neighbor

Daehyun was drenched, even more so than I was. His water saturated hair appeared black as it stuck to his forehead. His mouth hung slightly agape, allowing his wonder to show through. “What are you… doing here?”

 

“I was about to ask you the same thing.”

 

“You shouldn’t have come here.” Daehyun said, pulling himself up off of the ground. Gazing, lost, over the complex’s shallow rail, the anger diminished from his face.  “I’m not in the mood to talk.”

 

“C’mon, you’ll catch a cold if you stay in the rain much longer. Let’s go back inside,” I gently prodded.

 

He kept his focus forward and hopped over the railing, landing on the miniscule strip of cement on the edge of the roof. He teetered as he paced effortlessly back and forth, his arms outstretched to help keep his balance.

 

Inhaling sharply, I rushed up to him. “Daehyun, don’t do that! You could fall!”

 

 He raised an eyebrow. “So? What does it even matter if I fall or not?”

 

Through the heavy rain, along with nightfall quietly, yet surely approaching, Daehyun stood freely above the streets of Seoul.

 

I silently panicked as I watched Daehyun carelessly stride along the edge of the balcony. The hoards of heavy rainfall pounded against his back, as if even mother nature itself was urging Daehyun over the edge. I bit my lip, trying to remain calm.

 

“Why do you even care?” he asked, not bothering to turn around to face me.

 

"Huh? Why do I care about you?" My eyebrows shot up and I scoffed in disbelief. I couldn't explain why, but I suddenly felt a bout of anger rise towards Daehyun. He sits up here all by himself in the rain because he thinks that nobody cares? Did he even know how worried I was about him? Unable to control my feelings any longer, I spout off the only thing that was on my mind. “I care because I like you!”

 

Daehyun spun around and stared at me in disbelief, not sure if he had heard me correctly.

 

“That’s right, I like you! Even though you’re a jerk and all you do is upset me, and cause me problems, I can’t help but find myself attracted to you. I’m not even sure why!” I added with a bitter laugh. “I mean… I wasn’t sure at first, but ever since our kiss, I couldn’t stop thinking about you. And worrying about you.”

 

 Leaping back over the railing to safer ground, Daehyun crept over to me. “_____, listen, I-… Hey, wait, are you... are you crying?”

 

Bringing my hands to my cheeks, I did in fact feel lines of warm water dripping down. I wasn’t sure if it was me actually crying, or just the rain. Fearing that it was the first choice, I frantically wiped them away with the sleeve of my dampened shirt.

 

A hand tightly wound around mine, pulling my arms from where they covered my face. It was Daehyun, who towered over me, his intense stare keeping me sights glued to him. His concerned eyes looked oddly beautiful though; like windows into his mind. I could just read the thousands and thousands of thoughts erupting behind his now strangely composed expression. “Do you really mean that?”

 

I nodded, making a weak smile appear on Daehyun’s face.

 

He oppened his mouth, but, saying nothing, only thought for what felt like an eternity. His eyes, staring blankly into the distance hovered over every thought in his complicated and vaguely twisted mind.

 

My mouth had run dry, the anticipation of his answer making my chest tight with worry and concern. This side of Jung Daehyun I had never known before frightened me so much. His emotions and feelings had always been intense, but this was just a whole new level.

 

Daehyun finally looked back to me. His face was oddly clear, it appearing that he had made up his mind and came to a satisfactory conclusion. "I guess, as long as one person cares."

I felt my heart leap as he slowly began to lean in towards me. I closed my eyes just as his lips grazed against mine.

 

But as quickly as our kiss began, it stopped with the rude interruption of my stomach whining loudly.

 

Daehyun pulled back, a teasing grin crossing his face. “Hungry?”

 

Come to think of it, I had hardly eaten anything all day. Still though, my stomach couldn’t have waited until after we were done kissing to growl? I felt the color rise in my cheeks and I unknowingly pouted, making Daehyun crack up even more. Taking my hand in his, he urged me back inside the complex.

 

I was slightly hesitant at his actions, and he noticed me lingering.

 

“C’mon, I think we’ve both been out here long enough. Let’s go inside. I’ll make us some food.”

 

But just as we were about to leave the dreary, yet seemingly distinct rain-soaked rooftop, Daehyun stopped me one last time.

 

 “Uhh, I just want to say thank-you, _____.”

 

“For what?”

 

“Just… for caring.”