Project

The First Few Notes

Seungah's POV

 

 

Kekeke. I'm a really good matchmaker, aren't I?

 

Maybe I've read too many fanfic about a guy saving a girl from harm or whatever, but I've been trying to help my two idiot best friends realize their feelings for each other. I've been giving them time together so that they can get to know each other better, with my random lame excuses. And yes, I sent those guys over to hara- I mean, annoy Hyeri. I told them not to get too aggressive, because although Henry's skinny and doesn't work out, he can still throw a punch.

 

I think my plan worked well. During second period, when Henry and I had a class together, I looked over to him and he was deep in thought. His brows were drawn and he looked a little like a lost puppy. And, in history class when I saw Hyeri, it was like she didn't notice me at all. She just kept looking out the window. At one point, when she thought no one was looking, she shook her head and hit hear hands against her cheeks. At lunch, they act normally, as if they don't feel anything for each other but friendship. Aish, now they're going to make me confused.

"Seungah!" I snapped out of my daze.

"Yeah?"

"Why are you looking at us like that?" Henry said. I hadn't realized that I had been staring at them with my eyebrows drawn and my head tilted.

I kept quiet because I was thinking of a legitimate reason, which Hyeri took as unwillingness to respond.

"Is this about... Sungha?" I kept quiet. I would simply let them accept this excuse, even though it wasn't true.

"This is a conversation for another time, Hyeri." To be honest, I wasn't willing to discuss this with them, especially not in front of all these people in the lunchroom. I wasn't ready yet. So they simply changed the subject, and this time, I joined them.

 

 

Neither of them has talked to me about it. I suppose it's because they're both still figuring it out themselves, so they're a bit confused. Well, I hope they sort it out soon. I want to hear the juicy details. 

What's more, during voice lessons, they didn't even talk to each other! (Okay, maybe we were supposed to be listening to the teacher's lecture but still.)

 

After dismissal, we decided we'd go our separate ways, since Jinyoung oppa and I had agreed to meet up for the project.

 

 

"Okay, I have an idea." Jinyoung arrived and sat down next to me on the piano bench.

"Oppa, you're late." As usual.

"Mianhe, Seungah. I had to do some stuff for my teacher."

"So, what's this idea? And I thought we already started composing? Don't tell me we have to scrap everything."

"No, no, we can keep that part, it only lasts for a few seconds anyway. Here," he laid the sheet music on the piano, filled with what we had written last week.

"I was thinking, to set us apart from all the other projects, we could..." He paused for suspense.

 

I waited for him to continue.

"Play four-handed piano with two people!" He said with a ta-dah of his hands.

 

Whaaaaat?

"Oppa, composing a song with just one person playing is hard enough. How do we do it for two?" I was a bit confused.

"Tch, don't worry. Your musical genius oppa is here." He smiled.

 

"Okay, I think I've got something. Can you play what we've already got so far, but two octaves higher?" I moved over to the right to reach the higher octave and make space for Jinyoung oppa to sit on the left.

As I started to play the song, Jinyoung played something else an octave lower than the usual key. Amazingly, it worked! Although it was a different tune, it was still part of the song, seemingly melting into the original melody so that it sounded more like one singular piece instead of two separate similar-sounding ones. It was complicated, yet beautiful.

 

This was music.

 

I started getting into the melody, and we ended up the song without meaning to. As I hit the last note, I turned and smiled at Jinyoung oppa. He smiled back.

"I hope you remember what you did. I didn't write it down." Jinyoung oppa said.

I nodded and got some blank sheet music and started writing down my part of the piece while Jinyoung wrote his.

"Since we finished early, we have more time to practice."

"Do we make lyrics, oppa?"

Jinyoung looked to the ceiling and thought for a while.

 

 

"Leave that to me." He got a sheet of lined paper from his notebook and started scribbling down stuff, pausing to scratch out a word or two, or to pause and think.

"How's this?" He handed it to me to read. He sat down in front of the piano and sang what he had written so far. (text colored blue is Jinyoung's handwritten notes.)

 

Walking in the park, hand in hand                             (In this part, our four hands are very close together and we play moving up the keys at the same time)

Without saying any words, you understand             (Then our hands move down)

My heart skips several beats                                       (A few measures played staccato.)

I tremble from my fingers to my feet

 

I want to spend all my time by your side

When you're here, I hear music inside

It's like angels are singing when I see you                 (We look at each other)

I wonder if you hear them too

 

 

"Whoa this sounds great, oppa! You really are a musical genius!" I told him excitedly.

"Alright, now let's harmonize."

 

 

 

I let out a tired yawn. I checked the time on my phone. 6:04 PM.

"Oppa, are we finished with practice? I'm so damn tired."

Jinyoung laughed. "Need to go somewhere?"

"Nah. I just wanna get out of here." I emphasized the last part. I yawned again.

"Tell you what, for being a good dongsaeng, I'll treat you to some ice cream~"

"Yaaaaay!" I jumped up like a little kid. He chuckled and got up and gathered his things.

"Palli, palli, oppa! Ice cream~" I pulled his arm. He laughed and followed me out the door.

 


Hyeri's POV

 

Since Kyuhyun su— I mean, oppa had been treating me less coldly; I was actually kind of looking forward to working with him for our social studies project.

After voice classes, I went around to look for him. I couldn't find him in any of the regular music rooms. To be honest, we didn't actually agree to meet up after classes, but he did tell me that we were going to start after the contest. Even though he didn't get to participate, I wouldn't want to force him to exert himself, what with his injury. I heard that he still came to class today, though, so I wanted to at least ask when we would officially start working.

 

I let out a huff. I'd already looked in all the floors of the main building, and there were fewer people in the halls now since everybody was in their respective after-school clubs and activities. Seriously, how do you manage to lose a guy in a cast and crutches?? The only other place to look was...

Of course! The old school building!

I went to find the room I had found him in before. Like that day, the weather seemed nice and warm, bringing an unconscious smile to my face.

 

I finally found the room, and quickly approached the door. I was about to grab and turn the knob when I looked into the small glass pane on the door. Inside, Kyuhyun oppa was talking to a girl. I bent down a little so that I could be seen as little as possible.

Oppa looked sort of angry, and the girl was obviously upset, her shoulders heaving and her hands covering her face. Oppa then turned soft and apologetic, and the girl nodded. I wonder what they were talking about.

Then the girl turned towards me. Shoot! I quickly ducked to the right of the door and avoided getting hit by the door when the girl opened it and ran away, sobbing. Luckily, she didn't notice me. I figured this was my cue to leave quietly while I was still unnoti—

"I know you're there, Choi Hyeri."

 

Damn.

 

I crept out of my hiding place, lowering my head in shame. I was going to get a scolding from my sunbae.

Kyuhyun sighed and said, "Come inside."

Surprised, I followed. "What just happened?"

"... You don't need to know." He replied with a serious face. I simply nodded, sensing that this wasn't up for discussion.

He tried to sit down on the piano bench but struggled with his crutches, so I supported his arm and helped him sit down gently.

 

"So, did you need to say something?" He looked up.

"Oh, yeah. When do you want to start on the project? Personally, I'm alright with just starting it myself for a while."

Then I glanced at him. He looked a bit surprised. "Oh. That's why?"

"Yeah, what did you think I was going to say?"

With a dazes look on his face that was a combination of confusion, shock, and disappointment, he muttered, "Confess..."

"WHAT? Oppa, what makes you think I'd—" And then it made sense. The two of them in a quiet, solitary place... The girl who ran away crying.

"Oppa, that girl who ran away earlier… she confessed to you, right?"

No response.

"And you rejected her, right?"

"… I told you you don't need to know."

 

He looked a little sad or something, so I decided to drop the subject. "Alright."

He refused to meet me in the eyes, so I sat down beside him and looked at the wall he was facing.

"So, about the project." I said. "Maybe now's not a good time?"

"I'm sorry, Hyeri." He said quietly.

"There's no need to apologize, I understand, oppa." I gave him a sincere smile and patted his hand. "I'll just get started at home." I got up, meaning to go home.

"Do you need help in getting up, oppa?"

"No, I'm fine." He started to get up slowly. Just in case, I hovered over him. He tipped slightly but luckily I caught him by the arm. He showed a small thankful smile and said, "I can go by myself from here. I've got a driver to help me home."

I nodded but continued to walk beside him as he limped to the school gate, where a shiny silver car was waiting. The driver helped him get inside the car while I held his crutches. When he was seated comfortably in the car, I laid his crutched across his lap.

He looked up at me. "Thank you, Choi Hyeri." I simply smiled and replied, "It was nothing."

The chauffeur closed the door for him. Then I heard the neengine roar to life. As the car drove away, I waved goodbye, then started walking home.

 


 

 

BanaKyutie1030:
Annyeong lovely viewers! Please subscribe and comment, it would mean a lot. Jebal~

KEKEKEKE

eh? eeeeh? >////<