Break the Ice

The Only One

 

SoEun's POV

 

Ahmm what did he just say? He "has to perform"? 

Aish, I thought that he'd be better at making up excuses. It's making me feel so annoyed that I just want to reply by pointing out that it's 1 am, just what kind of performing would he be doing at this hour. Does he think I'm one of those crazy fan girls now just because I added him on Facebook? And here I am thinking that he's not as self obsessed as he seems to be. He's the one who sent me a message first for crying out loud! If he didn't want to talk to me then why would he send me a message in the first place and then make up such a pitiful excuse. 
 
AIIISSSHHH I'm so frustrated that I accidentally pushed my laptop off my bed. I picked it up aggressively and started to type out exactly what I'm thinking. 
 
"Yaaaah! Is that the best you could come up with?!  You could just tell me directly that you don't want to talk to me anymore rather than making up such a sorry lie! Oh and by the way, next time don't even send me a message! Don't treat me like one of your fan girls that will fall for anything you say or do!"
 
 I was about to press send when I thought of his smiling face from earlier flashed through my mind and the look of sincerity in his eyes as he reassured me. He must have a reason, somehow I have a gut feeling that there's some truth to what he's saying…I don't know why I'm being over sensitive and paranoid all of a sudden…Could it be I'm really turning into one of those girls?! Anneo, it couldn't be!! 
 
I erased the message I just typed out and retyped "Good luck." I pressed send before I could do something stupider then slammed my laptop shut.
 
I laid awake for several more minutes trying to untangle the questions that formed knots in my head. Why am I suddenly so intrigued with him? I know I shouldn't associate myself with people like Beom. I don't need more drama and complications in my life, I have enough as it is. 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I'm so giddy and ready to jump off my sit anytime now…2 more minutes and it's chemistry class. I couldn't sit still and I swear I'm going to burn a hole on the clock from starring.
 
Finally! The bell rang and I started to run towards the chemistry classroom. I had to remind myself to calm down and walk slower, trying to appear like my usual calm self. I don't even know why I have been looking forward to Chem  all morning…
 
I took a deep breath, and as I walked in the room, only for my breath to be taken away again as soon as I saw him sitting at our spot looking like a Greek goddess as usual though there's small circles under his eyes and he's looking a bit tired. I don't know if it's my imagination but his smile seemed to brighten even more when he saw me.
 
I walked casually to my seat and tried to appear as nonchalant as I could manage.
 
"Hey partner" he said. His body slightly facing towards me.
 
"Hey" I took my books out without even looking at him. 
 
"Ahmm, I want to apologize about being a jerk last night…look I'm not blaming you or anything about my hands but I was just really stressed out last night. Sorry if I kind of took it out on you" 
 
Wow. He doesn't fail to amaze me. I'm so touched by the fact that he realized he was kind of a jerk last night and had the decency to even apologize….some jerks may just let it pass thinking it's not a big deal, but he's different…I couldn't help but smile and I looked at him for the first time today. "I understand. So how was the performance?"
 
I could tell he was caught off guard for a moment but covered it up quickly "Good, I guess"
 
That's it? He's not going to explain anything? I sighed and just let it go. "That's good then." The teacher came in and the class started immediately.
 
"Umm, SoEun, if you're okay with it… I would like to buy you lunch to make up for being a jerk yesterday?" he whispered as the teacher starts talking about equilibrium.
 
My mind went out of focus. Did he just ask me out? I starred at him with wide eyes and he starred at me with an equally surprised gaze.
 
"Umm, just so you know..I want to go eat lunch together somewhere near by... the cafeteria food is kind of getting old for me..let's just say it's my way of apologizing for being a jerk last night and besides we're Chem buddies now so might as well get to know each other more…" he went on and looked at me hopefully. "But if you don't want to that's alright, it's just a suggestion..."
 
I can't stop the smile that I've been trying to hold in despite my surprise with this unexpected "suggestion."
 
"Sure…lunch sounds good" Why not right? We'll be spending lots of time together working on our Chemistry final project anyways... we might as well break the ice now so we can work comfortably around each other later.
 
I could tell the relief on his face. "Ok, I'll see you at lunch then."
 
"Class quiet down please!" Ms. Dunham was looking straight at us.