Twisted Fingers

The Only One

 

Soeun's POV

"OMG there he goes! Doesn't that jacket look really hot on him?!" 

"Okay now, let's face it. Anything looks good on him darling, I bet he'll look even better wearing nothing at all"

          Wow. It's really hard to focus on studying when all you hear are these kind of conversations around you. Sometimes I wonder if these girls ever do anything else in their free time besides fantasizing or to be more exact, lusting over Kim Beom. After I while, it gets tiring having to to listen to these kind of conversations everyday in homeroom, the only class I have in common with Beom these past four years of high school. Might as well have a Beom class for goodness sake. Of course the girls are crazy about him and I bet almost, if not all girls in this high school would kill to date him. With that face of his, he's definitely the most popular guy in school. He doesn't have a girlfriend as far as I know, and no one really knows who he's really interested in but with guys like that you just never know. But you'd think that after four years, some girls would have learn to somehow keep their cool by now, but I think it's only getting worse. Don't get me wrong, I also think he's attractive...heck yes he's super attractive with that angelic face and killer smile! But I just feel like he's...a bit overrated i guess? 

         Like usual, the moment  he sat down down on his spot at the middle of the room, the girls were swarming like bees all around him. It's during this time when I usually steal glances of him but he never really noticed since he's always surrounded by people and too busy to notice anything else  outside his circle. We never talked to each other either. I don't see the need to, especially seeing the competition for his attention, so it's just not worth the try.

        I'm not a crazy fan of his like all these other girls and I never want to be one. I tried to be inconspicuous as much as possible and don't get too involved with these people whose world seems to revolve around him. I'm a bit unfortunate not to have any of my friends in the same homeroom so I totally feel like a looser sitting alone by the window trying to do homework.

        After 20 painful minutes, the bell finally rang indicating the end of homeroom. I gathered my stuff and tried to get out of here as fast as possible. In my hurry to get out of the class room, the long strap of my body bag got caught in the door knob and pulled the door close as I walk out. 

"Oooowww!" A sudden shriek made me halt. I turned around to see what the fuss is about and saw fingers caught between the door as someone tried to stop it from slamming shut. I pushed the door open and I was surprised to see Beom's face twisted in pain, though he still looks like a model trying to be cute for the cameras. 

"I am so sorry! Are you alright?" I said as he grabbed his wrist and flexed his fingers that were caught between the door. 

"Yeah, no worries...thanks to you I might have to stop practicing piano for a while. It'll give me a break, since this concert that's coming up is really stressing me out."

I felt like all the air has been out of my lungs. I stared at him dumbfounded as I contemplated what he just said. Our school has a really good music program, and Beom is a the best pianist. He's the piano accompanist in pretty much any kind of music concert in our school.  And lately the music students had all been busy preparing to play with a "big deal" orchestra from Europe, Beom was offered the honour to be the accompanist. The girls gossiping about this emphasized how extremely hard the pieces he had to learn are and how he practice night and day since he's so dedicated and passionate. So can you imagine how all these people would hate me when they found out I crushed the hands of their accompanist?! Not just that, his admirers will probably burn me alive because I hurt their oppa's precious fingers! My mouth must have been wide open the whole time because there's a smile playing around Beom's lips. 

He suddenly laughed "Hey relax, I'm just kidding! My hand is fine! See..." He held his hand up and opened and closed his fingers to prove he can still move them. Like I'm buying that. I raised my eyebrows at him. "Really?"

"Yes really. Now let's get to Chem, don't want to be late for the presentations." Chemistry is another class we have in common this semester. 

He started walking towards our Chemistry classroom and I stood still watching him walk away. It might have been short but that was the first conversation we ever had.  It caught me off guard how sweet his voice is. It's manly and sweet at the same time. I can't believe I never noticed that before. I guess I never really paid close attention. 

"Soeun, stop worrying and get to class. It's no big deal really." He is almost screaming across the hall, thank God most people are in their classes now. He shot me his killer smile, turned around and resumed walking towards our chemistry class. Hearing him say my name surprised me more than anything else. I didn't know he even knew I exist. I have always took him as self-obsessed who never noticed anyone around him except himself. 

For some reason, I feel like I saw a glimpse of the person behind the pretty face. Maybe....just maybe he's not as wrapped up in himself as I thought he was.