Too Much Snooping

The Only One

 

Hi readers! I'm soooo sorry it took Unni half a year to update! It's now summer break so I'll try my best to update more often. Enjoy:)

P.S Dongseng kept her promise to bug me until I update! Thanks for your perseverance dongseng:))

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

So Eun’s POV

The more I learn about Beom, the more he peeks my interest. I tried to pry for more details but he’s very resistant to let any more info out. He remains a puzzle I couldn’t complete. It’s been a long day, and I’m kind of beat...but somehow, I want it to drag on forever.  But like every good thing, it must come to an end.

“Well. this is it.” I said, the dismay embarrassingly evident, as we stopped in front of my apartment building.

“It seems nice, well, go safely.”

“See you tomorrow Beom.” I wanted to call him oppa once again, but I shouldn’t get used to it.

I’m still contemplating about everything that happened today as I watch him hurry off into the distance. I have a strong feeling he’s hiding something, like he is ashamed. Despite trying to convince myself that it’s none of my business, curiosity won me over. Just when his footsteps start to fade, I followed him.

Once again, I found myself standing in front of that same lounge. Deep inside, I guess I knew the reason why he’s here…confirmation is all I need. I entered the lounge and it reeked with the smell of alcohol and sweat. I overheard a group of women in their early twenties excitedly talk about a guy named Tazz. He will be performing next and by what I heard, he’s very good looking, plays the piano really well, and can even sing and dance. I smiled in the darkness.

I pulled out my phone and typed “Good Luck Oppa” and sent it to Beom.

The announcer welcomed the next performer. As expected, Beom aka Tazz is standing on the stage. It was like seeing him in a different light. I watched him get lost in the beat of the music, his body moves and sway freely as he sang an upbeat song with an irresistible voice. It was over in flash and it out. I saw him frantically looking around as soon as the light came back on. I walked over to where he’s standing.

“Tazz?”

He turned around looking like he just saw a ghost. “What are you doing here?”

“Am I not allowed to go to a lounge?”

He frowned. “You know what I mean. I didn’t want anyone to know I work here. Not anyone. Especially not you.”

I don’t understand why not. It’s not like it’s something he should be ashamed of…but then he must have his reasons. I didn’t want to argue and I thought I ought to give him a break from my prying.

“Look…I don’t understand why this is such a big deal to you, but I’m not gonna ask anymore. I could care less what you do for a living, it doesn’t make me see you any different.”

“It’s not that…it’s just…” He trailed off. “Never mind.” It seems he wanted to tell me more, but decided not to in the end. He doesn’t need to.

I smiled “I understand. I really enjoyed your performance.”

He smirked and said “Thanks. Come on let’s get out of here.”

Just like that, he took my hand and dragged me out of there. He looks really mad that his brows are almost touching. We kept walking in silence, his anger emanating from his body.

“You know as much as I don’t appreciate you following me here, I hate the fact that you walked alone in dark. What if along the way some guys took an interest in you? Who knows what would have happened then? What if you got in an accident huh? Do you know how dangerous it is to roam around this late at night?” he said fiercely, almost shouting.

Despite his anger, I can’t help but smile. He’s concern about me. “Beom, I’m alright. I’m safe and sound. See? If it makes you feel any better, I promise I won’t do it again”

“Promise me two things. First do not go to the lounge ever again. Second, you’re not gonna roam around alone at night again.”

“Hey it’s not fair to keep me from being entertained. I really enjoyed your performance and I would like to see that again sometime!”

“Promise me.” He insisted.

“You act like an over protective boyfriend.” I said it jokingly but he stopped in his tracks, dumbfounded.

“Aside from not wanting anyone to see me at work, if something happens to you, I would have a heck lot of work load in chemistry due to a lack of partner and ummm that won’t be nice…I mean, of course I care for you because you’re my chem buddy…” He stumbles with his own words, looking embarrassed.

I can’t help but laugh “Hey I was just kidding! Fine, I promise okay! Happy?”

“Happy.” And gave me that killer smile.

He insisted to bring me home first so we took the bus and he walked me in front of my apartment again.

“Here we are. Good night So Eun.”

“Good night Beom.” There was an awkward silence as we stand there awkwardly facing each other.

“Ummm..okay I’m gonna get going then.”

“Okay, be careful.”

He walked away and I stood still, watching him. After just a few steps, he turned to face me “Please don’t follow me this time.” He teased.

I laughed and waved him off. For his sake, I let him watch me walk inside my building.

I went straight to my room and lay on my bed awake for hours…thinking about Beom.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Such a bore.” Beom passed me a note in a torn peace of paper while we’re sitting in chem class. Ms. Dunham keeps going on and on about organic chemistry while I can barely keep myself from staring at the man beside me.

“It’s alright…not as entertaining as your dance moves, that for sure.” I wrote back and passed it back to him without turning my head.

“You’re funny.” Sarcasm radiates even in his writing.

The bell rang. Finally it’s lunch time.

“I believe I still owe you lunch?” It took me a while to realize he’s taking about our disrupted lunch date yesterday..well it wasn’t a date really, just going out for lunch.

“Are you sure you’re not going to run off to some lounge this time?”

He laughed. “I promise. Let’s go partner?”

I grabbed my backpack and said “Let’s go then.”

We went to a diner not far away from school. We talked and laughed while walking and it’s amazing how much more comfortable we are with each other now.

“Order anything you want. My treat.”

“Very well then. I’ll make sure I’ll satisfy my tummy to the fullest.” I answered.

We ordered and talked more as we eat and talk with our mouths full. It’s like I’m a totally different person when I’m with Beom. I’m not sure if I really am different around him or I if it’s my true self that shows when I’m with him. Whatever it is, I’m happy.

“So, have you ever had a boyfriend? Or do you have one right now?” He asked as he poke on his steak, looking down. Wow a sudden transition from our convo about when we first learned to ride a bike.

I was taken aback from his bold question, but my thoughts were suddenly flooded of memories with Jong Suk oppa. He asked about a boyfriend so why am I thinking of Kim Jong Suk? He was the best friend I ever had but he never saw me as more than a little sister. I guess it’s the closest thing I had to a “relationship.” I pushed the thoughts aside....besides, it’s been years since Jong Suk oppa’s family immigrated to Japan, no point of bringing up the past now.

“Ya! So Eun-shi?” Beom’s said softly. I haven’t realized I’ve been staring off into the distance lost in my own thoughts. I snapped back to the present.

“Mianhe…Amm where were we? Oh right, a boyfriend. No, I don’t have one and I never had one. Why do you ask?” For some reason I couldn’t look at Beom straight in the eyes.

“You know I find that hard to believe. You’re pretty, smart, kind and all these wonderful things and no guy ever swept you off your feet.” Ya Beom. Easy for you to say! Only if you know the effect you have on me. And by the way, he didn't aswer my question.

I blushed. I wonder if he means it or he’s just teasing me. I risked a glance up at him and he’s intently looking at me with that crooked smile of his.

“Shut up! Believe whatever you want then!” I laughed trying to mask my embarrassment. I took big gulp of my apple juice and said “Come on, let’s get back to school!”

I stood up quickly, still unable to look at Beom. He’s still sitting and I can see from the corners of my eye that he’s not looking at me either.

With the faintest of voice, I’m not sure if he meant for me to hear it, he whispered “I believe you. It just seems too good to be true.”