▬ alchemy isn't to turn lies into other lies

▬ the player is a girl

███ MIN WOO'S POV

 

What's wrong with you? You just said that all of the sudden...

[ FLASHBACK »

She thinks we're dating, uh?” I asked, highly amused. But curious as well to be honest.

Looks like. She just loves to pair people up...” Lia answered. She looked embarrassed. Cute...

Hm...” I nodded “Perhaps we should think about it after all” I said with a tiny smile.

« END OF FLASHBACK ]

Seriously... We're just going together to a party, should it count as a date? Should I tell her we should considerate to call it a date? It would be so weird... It would feel like I trapped her so she would go out on a date with me. What if she doesn't mind? What if it could work?

I feel like I deserve one: after all, our first meeting was supposed to be a date and it was ruined by this Amber guy. So don't we deserve another try? I swear there was something this day... And because we decided to start off as friends after the incident, we didn't dare to do anything...

 

I sighed heavily, drawing figures on my notebook. I noticed I had been writing the key words of my thoughts... such as “date” “another try” “party” “her” “Amber guy” and... numerously, I had written “Lia”. I slapped my face. I was going crazy.

Hee Chul sat next to me: we were having this class together, I just remembered at this very moment. It meant... Tae Yeon was also there... Just thinking about her, it made me want to take my phone and ask Lia to call it a date after all. I had this urge of making sure this girl wouldn't hurt Lia.

 

Hee Chul... Last time, when you were drunk-”

Aish, do you and Kevin have always to recall this story? I'm sorry already! Aigo!” he exclaimed, throwing his pencil. I laughed.

I know that, stop being on the defensive mode, bro'” I tapped his back.

Then... what is it about?” he suspiciously asked.

You talked about a girl you liked. Saying how you should ask her out to the party and all... You shouldn't be satisfied by being a shadow or just friend... What did you do in the end?”

I told you guys about this?” Hee Chul kind of panicked and stared roughly at me.

It's okay, you didn't tell the name and I won't ask... even if I want to know, you'll have to tell me” I stuck my tongue at him.

Oh...” he looked down suddenly “She already has a date. For the party and certainly in her life now. I mean, of course they'd go out together after or are already... When you ask a girl to these parties, it's because you like her, or then you let it pass as a friendly outing.”

 

I was kind of panicked to hear that.

 

Why are you asking suddenly? It's been days since that night... Or... is it about Lia?” he smiled a bit. “It's okay, you already asked her, you shouldn't worry.”

But we are beating around the bush...”

Make it clear then. You didn't say “I'm beating around the bush” but “we”... I guess she is waiting for you to make it clear. She kind of accepted you quickly and is still shying around times to times... There's alchemy between the two of you. She even changed her plans since she knows you. Come on, do it, be a man!” he tapped once my back and if I wasn't so lost in my thoughts, I would have choked on my breath.

 

If I wasn't making a move, she still had chances to walk away accept another heart. She would think I'm not interested in her. Am I? It's pretty obvious I am, why're you so slow Min Woo?

 

--- “Lia, I've thought about it already to be honest... And maybe, we should indeed call this party a date. What do you think? I don't force you, I just think of it as a chance to fix that first date we were supposed to have. Just to give it another try. Perhaps, it could work... I don't want to make any mistake. Well, tell me honestly what do you think. – Min Woo.” ---

 

I debated shortly if I should send it or not when Hee Chul teased me and tried to get my phone.

I'LL SEND IT, it's okay!” I screamed as everyone in the class looked at us.

Whatever you two want to send, I'm personally sending the two of you out of this room! Come back when you are done. After some minutes for example. Hurry!” the teacher told us.

 

I sighed and we headed to the door. Since I couldn't really bring myself to send it, I asked Hee Chul to read it and see if there was anything that would upset her. After all, they have been friends for sometimes now, he must know. While he was checking, I went to the restroom, needing to watch my face a bit and respond to human needs, you know.

 

███ HEE CHUL'S POV

 

I read the text message silently and sat down on the floor next to the class' door. For some reasons, I felt overwhelmed reading this clumsy text. Certainly because I could have written one like this... For Jessica, of course. Even if she knows already I like her... or fancy her. Well. I felt really uneasy but I smiled: Lia would love it, it was sweet... just like it should suit her.

I sighed.

 

Lia-ah, you will be happy, right? Don't mess it up this time... We are all tired already about it. Aish!” I smiled again, shaking my head.

 

Min Woo came back and I sent the text message before he could complain about anything. We argued a bit after that but he ended up sitting next to me on the floor. So we talked for minutes, totally forgetting to get back to our class.

 

She didn't answer...”

She needs time to focus and calm down. She must be excited. Well, excited in a Lia way... Plus, there are times she doesn't read her texts during class so be patient.”

But it'd be weird to meet her when she didn't answer.”

 

I gave him a tap on the shoulder before getting up: people from our class were coming out of the room finally. My next class was right after when Min Woo had a one hour break, so I left him. When going away, I heard this voice... Tae Yeon's... Sorry dongsaeng, you've got to manage her by yourself...

 

███ NO ONE'S POV

 

Min Woo... I need to talk to you...”

I don't have time and you have your class to attend.” he answered briefly.

I don't care about it, it's really important Min Woo, please. About Lia-”

Tae Yeon-noona, I really don't want to talk about anything. If you want to make troubles, go and find someone else... Sorry, I'm leaving now” he bowed gently to her and was about to left when she reached his arm and pulled him so he would stay.

It's not only about her, but about this Amber...”

 

███ DONG JUN'S POV

 

I was staring at Lia during our whole class together. I did well to make sure to attend the same classes she does. Well some of them. I had troubles since the year had already started and all, but still was I attending my department's classes as well... Let's do the math: my classes and sport stuff plus her classes, minus my spare time = a really tired Dong Jun. How tiring to take care of this problem... this is also why I couldn't even bother her much, always rushing to another class.

 

I sighed, thinking about it. Why did I have to put so much efforts in this? It wasn't even my problem! I should have asked Key to do something himself. But, truth was I wanted to do it. Perhaps because it was really entertaining or just like a challenge. I wasn't sure. But I liked teasing her and seeing her reactions.

 

I was still mad though because of this Min Woo. I didn't really believe Tae Yeon would do anything efficient, but who knew? The thing I hated the most was failing: that day when I saw them both, it was bound to be a successful day, however this guy popped up and ruined everything. I glared at her, swearing she was the devil or some kind of pink panther. She suddenly turned around...

 

No way she felt my stare...” I mumbled.

 

But I then saw her smile to a friend right behind her. She looked excited. When the class was over, I rushed to where she was with her friends and heard Jessica scream “HE SAID A DATE!!!! Woah, Lia! I told you! Soon you will be going out~ Min Woo, Li-A, MinA FIGHTING!”

 

By chance, I was too tired to storm off but anger fulfilled silently, like a snake, my body. I clenched my fists and swore I would kill Ha Min Woo and Kim Tae Yeon. Her plan better had to work. She had told me about it this morning... Hmpf, still I thought I had to work on it as well, just in case she would fail... I closed my eyes, trying to calm down and hoping that spinning feeling would stop.

 

Suddenly, I felt eyes on me and opened mine. Lia and her friends were looking at me but started to walk away right after I looked back.

 

Lia, wait!” I screamed but she ignored me. I glared at her back and followed her anyway. It was like this until she was done with her secretariat matters. Now she was alone. I could see her annoyed stare whenever she would check if I was still there. And yes I was

 

She headed out of the building only to face a heavy rain. I smirked at her but I'm not sure she saw it, as deep in her thoughts as she was. I hurried to my car, started the engine without even fastening my seat belt, just to rush and stopped it right in front of her.

I opened the window.

 

Come on, don't get any sicker and get in. I'll drive you home...”

It's okay.” she said coldly.

Stubborn much, uh? You will stay here for hours if you wait for the rain to stop.”

“Oh, really? I'm fine, "KDJ"...” she took off her jacket and put it over her head with her hands. She was about to go under the rain like that.

STOP THAT! Are you crazy?” I went out of the car hurriedly and wait a bit, staring at her as if she was a mental defficient. “Do you want to get sick?”

I'm not the one standing under the rain and all wet!” she fought back.

 

Well she got a point. What's wrong with me, seriously? I stepped to go under the front step's shelter. I looked again at her, trying to put on a sincere stare but with the water dripping from my hair, it was hard to keep them open.

 

Listen, I don't try to annoy you. I want to say sorry and help you, that's it.” She stared at me and sighed.

I may live far away, you know...” What? It was enough to make her agree? Was she actually naive?

I know where you live, it's okay...”

WHAT?” she shouted at me. I expected this reaction so I laughed.

I'm joking, seriously, I stopped this...” She looked at me as if she wasn't buying any of this again “Come on, just get in or Kevin will get mad at you. It's for all the troubles I made...”

Okay...”

 

I smiled and went to open the door for her. She stepped in and I closed the door. When I turned around, I met Ha Min Woo's eyes. I just stared at him, trying hard not to smirk. Eventually failed and headed to driver's door and seat...

 

███ MIN WOO'S POV

 

There is something you don't know about Amber.”

Amber is Lia's friend, not mine. Why would it concern me?”

Because it concerns Lia. She is lying to you Min Woo, about this Amber.”

How so?”

It seems like everybody here thinks HE is her friend. Right?” I nodded, not showing though how annoyed I was already. “If I tell you there's something between them, you wouldn't believe me. So, what about Amber... being actually a girl.”

What?” Okay, what was that? If I remember well, at the party, he pretended to be with her. He almost kissed her in front of me. Kevin's making a scene everyday because he lives with Lia... and now, Tae Yeon was all 'it's a girl'. “Are you feeling well, Noona?”

Min Woo-ah, I feel okay. Believe me, I've known Amber for years and it's a girl.”

It would explain this strange name...” I mumbled

[ FLASHBACK »

NO! Well, they are friends… But Amber is in trouble now, I don’t get why…” Hee Chul said.
“Amber? This guy’s name is Amber?” I wondered out loud.
“Well… his mother wanted a girl… You know how Korean mothers can be…”

« END OF FLASHBACK ]

I frowned.

Lia... even Hee Chul... they wouldn't have lied to me...” I said.

Do you want to see my class pictures? When Amber had long hair? Do you want me to show you her ID? Amber is a girl of course, no matter the lies or excuses they made up.”

But why?”

I wondered why as well... And the only answers I found are these: else Lia wanted to protect Amber's preferences, and then she doesn't trust you. Or they are a couple.”

 

I started to laugh, “No, there is no way Lia is...” I trailed off.

Still she lied.”

 

At this point, Tae Yeon was right. Why? Doesn't she trust me? Or even if, did she have to tell Kevin and I Amber was a boy... I felt lost.

 

I need to go...”

Min Woo, please, don't let this player hurt your feelings. I saw how you care for her... I just don't want you to be hurt or to experience betrayal. I still remember the kindhearted boy who helped me, I still see him right in front of me. I want this person to be safe...”

 

I stared at her a bit but eventually left without even saying goodbye. I felt her following me closely until we reached the entrance of the building. There was a heavy rain. I thought about Lia and how she would get sick... I sighed.

 

Even if the condition is like that, I should make sure she stays healthy, right?” I said to myself.

She is just there if you look for her...” Tae Yeon said in a depressive tone. “Isn't this Kim Dong Jun?” she suddenly exclaimed, frowning.

 

I stared at Lia's figure disappearing in his car and at him. I didn't even react when I saw his smirk. I was just still dumbfounded. They left quick after without Lia noticing me. I pulled out my phone: no answer from her since I send my text message. Perhaps, I mistook the whole situation with Dong Jun actually. I had to talk about it with her.