Chapter 8: The Fortress of Isolde

Butterfly

Chapter 8: To the Fortress of Isolde

                Embrie flew through smoke and dust as she dodged through volcanic ash rising from the depths of Iguadan, which were surrounding Isolde’s fortress. Nadia concentrated on the task at hand. She had never slain a being before, save for a bug or two that had gotten too close, but this was much different. She would kill another living being. This was to protect Jiyong; she would carry that burden for him, just as she carried his heart.

                Embrie turned her head back. “What should we do, Nadia?” she asked. Nadia adjusted the sword on her back.

                “We rush in, the faster we get him, the faster we can get back to our mission.” She said. Embrie nodded, and rushed in through the nearest window at full speed.

                Glass shattered and fire spewed through the opening as they forced their way into the fortress. Embrie landed with a giant THUD! onto the castle floor.

                “Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in.”

*****

                Isolde stood up and glided towards them. ‘What a scrawny little thing,’ she thought, looking at Nadia as she slid off Embrie’s back. ‘And they call this girl the ‘Chosen One’? How ridiculous.’ She gave an acidic smile as she came closer.

                “So, you are the ‘Chosen One,’ the one that has come to save Nirvana?” she said. Nadia nodded. Isolde scoffed. “What a bold little chit of a girl you are. Do you even know who I am?” she asked, gesturing to her grand edifice.

                “A crone in a crumbling heap who has nothing better to do than kidnap people and rip out their hearts as trophies,” Nadia retorted, drawing her weapon and holding it at the ready. Isolde was taken aback at her bold answer, but then smiled once more.

                “You’re brave, I’ll give you that,” she said, circling her. “But quite foolish,” she said, holding out her hand. A bolt of lightning shot out of her palm towards Nadia’s face. She blocked it with the sword, dodging her attack more by luck than by skill.

                “What’s foolish is messing with the people I care about,” she said, slowly coming forward, her sword still raised.

                “You’re not going to give up, are you?” she asked, readying another attack. “Even for something as worthless as a Yume” she smiled as Nadia’s left eye twitched. “He is nothing more than a jewelry box, a pitiful excuse for a living being. Why should he live? He has nothing to give to Nirvana, and neither did his people,” she smiled. “Other than, decoration,” she said, gesturing to her walls. Nadia looked up momentarily, and was horrified.

                Upon every inch of her castle walls were the hearts of the Yume. All different colors, Blue, yellow, green, red, pink, orange, purple, every color, every size. Everywhere. Isolde smiled. “Aren’t they lovely?” she asked, an orange heart near her. “They glow so brightly, and every once in a while,” she poked it, causing it to beat. “They come to life.” She flicked it, causing it to stutter, and stop.

                “You’re sick,” said Nadia, regaining her composure. Isolde scoffed.

                “Do you really think that you a mere human can defeat me? An all-powerful witch?” she asked. Nadia smiled shaking her head.

                “Not quite.” She gestured behind her. Isolde looked back, terror in her eyes. Embrie had her beloved griffin in her beak, and playfully tossed him aside. She looked back at Nadia, who was now just inches away from her.

                “Tell me where he is, now.” She said, nudging the sword forward. A vein in Isolde’s face began to pulse. It made her looked aged, and her face twisted in anger.

                “You think you can just barge in here and defeat me?” she asked, her hands sparking with rage. “I am an ALL POWERFUL WITCH, what part of that don’t you understand?” she said, lighting flying out of her fingertips and into the ceiling. Embrie swooped over to Nadia and shot out a wall of flames. An explosion came that threw them all back several feet. Nadia emerged from beneath Embrie’s protection and came forward.

                “It’s funny,” she said, lifting the sword to Isolde’s bosom as she lie beneath the rubble that cascaded from the explosion. “I thought this fight would be harder,” she said, moving her bangs out of her face, realizing that her cheek had been cut and now was dripping blood.

                “So what are you going to do, kill me? You look weak, like you’ve never killed anything in your entire life. How could you, a mere human, possibly defeat me?” she asked. Nadia smiled.

                “You took Jiyong, he means a lot to me, you messed with the wrong human,” she said, anger flashing in her eyes. “Die, you damned witch!” she said, raising the sword and plunging it into her chest. She heard a sickening crack! as the sword slashed its way through her sternum and into her heart. She ripped downward, slashing through her abdomen and into her innards.

                An evil smile played across Isolde’s lips in her dying moments. “I put a spell upon this castle you know, pitiful human.” She whispered. “You have half an hour’s time to find your beloved Jiyong, or he will turn to dust, hurry now, or it will be too late!” she laughed as she turned to stone. Nadia looked at Embrie. She nodded down to the cellar, which was off to the left of her throne.

                “If I know anything about witches, it’s that their predictable and either keep them in the highest or lowest parts of the castle. I’ll fly up to the highest turret, and you go down there. I’ll call to you if I’m the one to find him.” Nadia nodded and ran down the stairs.

*****

                Nadia ran down the stairs, tripping and scraping her knees on the stone. Warm blood ran down her legs and into her boots as she blindly searched through the cellar. She slapped her forehead as she realized that she was carrying a glowing sword. She took out the sword from behind her and used it to guide her way down the steps.

                She made her way through the damp cellar, twisting and turning through the stone labyrinth, covered in years of cobwebs and dust. She shuddered as she saw the remains of what looked like one of her last victims. She gasped as she saw another corpse.

                Its eyes were sunken in, dim and glazed over. There was a giant hole in its left shoulder, gaping into its ribcage. Her stomach turned as she realized that the lung was inflating and deflating. She examined it a bit closer, and dropped to her knees.

                Jiyong. She ran to him, taking his face in her hands. His hair felt as if it was made of straw, and she could feel every bone in his face and chest. He slowly moved his mouth, trying to make words, but nothing came out but choked gasps. His clothes were deeply faded and tattered beyond recognition. She gripped his hands. They were bony and frail, like they’d fall apart any moment.

                “Jiyong! Jiyong, can you hear me?” she asked, tears running down her face. He silently moved his lips, weakly nodding. “Oh Jiyong, what has she done to you?” she asked, looking him up and down. He weakly reached for her hand. She raised her hand to his. He brought it to the gaping hole in his chest. She felt a weight release from her chest, and travel down her arm. She saw a soft purple glow emanating from her hand, and pulsating.

                gaped open in awe as she saw his skin migrate towards its other half and seam itself back together. His face filled and became rosey as his hair gained its natural sheen. He gasped and flew forward, his heart sinking back into his own chest. His clothes were back to their bright colors. He stood up, taking her hands into his own.

                “Nadia,” he breathed, catching his breath.

                “Yes, Jiyong.”

                “You’re here, does that mean…?” Nadia nodded, running her fingers through his blonde locks.

                “Yes, she’s gone, and she’ll never come after you again.” He smiled.

                “You are the ‘Chosen One,’ then!” he exclaimed excitedly as he grabbed her shoulders. She smiled up at him.

                “I suppose so,” she said. “But I don’t get it, of course I was nervous and all, but this battle seemed, too easy, like it was some sort of test.” He nodded solemnly.

                “Let’s talk about it later, we need to go find Embrie and get going. We need to save Nirvana, remember?” he asked. Nadia nodded.

                “You’re right, let’s go.” She said. They ran through the labyrinth and made their way back upstairs. “Wait!” she said, pulling back on his arm. “What about them,” she looked back at the hearts upon the wall. Jiyong looked at them. He seemed to be solemn, taking in the fact that these had once been his people. “There are more, back at Adonis’s cove, what should we do with them?” she asked. He turned to her.

                “Leave them here, once we reach our destination, they shall be freed. Don’t fret, dear Nadia, they shall be free.” He said, squeezing her hand and leading her out of the castle through the rubble. He let out a whistle, and with a haze of fire, Embrie landed in front of them.

                “Good to see you’re in one piece, Mr. Hatter.” She said, her eyes twinkling.

                “No thanks to Nadia,” he said, winking at her.

                “You’re hat good sir,” Embrie reached behind her neck and tossed it down to him. He caught it in his hand and placed it upon his head.

                “Well, now that we have everything, where to Embrie?” he asked, taking Nadia by the hand and taking their places upon her back.

                “To Ellesmir and the Royal Court. There is a fortune teller there that shall help us figure out what to do next. We may have defeated Isolde with ease, but we may not fare so well with our next enemy.” She said. He nodded.

                “Then we’re off!” he cried, holding onto his hand as Nadia held her arms around his waist as they flew off from Iguadan and into the light.

END OF CHAPTER 8