Chapter 10: The Final Battle

Butterfly

Chapter 10: The Final Battle

                They were speeding off, wind whipping through their hair as they headed towards Azura’s castle. “I have a question,” spoke up Nadia, shattering the silence.

                “Yes?” said Embrie.

                “The aura told me that Azura is evil that escaped. How exactly did all this come to happen?” she asked. She had been wondering this for quite some time, she was just too afraid to ask. But now, she knew more than they were letting on at first.

                Embrie sighed. “Azura was the King’s sister. The two of them were both candidates for the throne. Their father, King Abraham, gave them a test. He would give the throne to the truly righteous, the one who could communicate with the beings of Nirvana.” Nadia cocked her head.

                “But, can’t everyone, and almost, everything talk here?” she asked.

                “Yes,” answered Jiyong. “But that’s not the quite the type of communication that he meant.” He turned to her. “They needed to be trusted by all beings of Nirvana, that they would protect it, even if it meant their life.” Nadia nodded. “Azura practiced dark magic. She gave herself over to the darkness in order to gain power. In her struggle, she lost her connection to the world, and thus, the trust of the people.”

                “Mother Shiva foretold of the evil that would spread if she were to take the throne. This worried the vizier, and he told this to the King. He worried. He hoped that the people would choose wisely…”

                “And so the world picked our King. He was wonderful in all he did. Azura, cast off from the throne, was banished to Iguadan, imprisoned in a tower. Until one day…”

                “What happened?” Nadia asked.

                “She came bursting through the castle, casting shadows as she went. She went right for the King, and…and I couldn’t stop her.” Said Jiyong. He bent his head. “I was there, and there was nothing I could do. She smote him from his throne, and claimed Nirvana for herself, and the darkness.” A chill ran up Nadia’s spine.

                “After she took the throne, the king went missing. We have searched up and down throughout Nirvana, but to no avail.” Embrie explained.

                “Then as I paced through the study, I saw a note tucked away in his personal journal,” Jiyong said. “Usually, I wouldn’t snoop through the King’s things, but I thought it would help us to find him.” He looked off into the distance. “The note was for me. He told me to find the Chosen One, that I must first go to Bagehli, and find my guide, then, I would be able to find her. To find you.” He said, looking over at her. Nadia couldn’t help but blush.

                He smiled. “That’s where I found Fredrick.” He said, smiling at the glowing butterfly, which had been resting on Embrie’s head. Fredrick had been quiet for some time now. Not that he talked, but he was a lot less active than usual. Nadia smiled at him as well.

                “At least now we are on the final step of our journey,” Nadia said. Jiyong nodded.

                “Yes. Now, we can find the king, restore peace, and set my people free at last.” She smiled over at him.

                “How much longer, Embrie?” she asked. Embrie lifted her head.

                “Not much longer now,” she said. Nadia looked off. The fortress she saw before her glowed brightly, like a beacon in the night. It was made entirely of ice, with a bright blue-ish glow surrounding it. Nadia’s stomach did somersaults as they neared it.

                “Are you afraid, Nadia?” asked Jiyong, looking back at her. Nadia swallowed her fear.

                “No, nervous.” She replied. As they neared the fortress, a sheet of ice shot out in front of them. A sign upon the sign read,

 “Only the Chosen One May Pass.”

Nadia looked back at Jiyong. His eyes were full of fear. He shook his head. “Nadia, don’t do it, it’s a trap-” she grabbed him by his collar and kissed him.

                “It might be, but it’s a risk I have to take to save Nirvana.” She said, grabbing her sword. She stepped onto the bridge, and looked back at Embrie. “Protect him.” She said. Embrie nodded. Nadia took a deep breath, and turned towards her fate. “I’m ready.” She said. The bridge shot forward, throwing her from her feet and onto her bottom as it sprang back towards the fortress.

                “NADIAAAA!” cried Jiyong, as Embrie sped off, toward Bagehli. “What are you doing? She needs us, take us back!” he cried.

                “No, she must do this alone. It is her destiny. We shall wait for her in Bagehli. Once she has slain Azura, all shall be as it should be, and she will restore Nirvana back to its former glory. Everything will be alright, just trust her.” Jiyong sat back. He remembered when he had asked Nadia to trust him. For now, he must do the same.

*****

                Nadia stood in front of the imposing fortress. The ice was thick; a light frost covered its smooth exterior. Despite it being light, and beautiful, she could feel the darkness pulling at her. “Come, Chosen One. Let us see if you are truly worthy of your title.” A gentle voice echoed as the giant doors creaked open.

                Nadia bravely stepped through. The inside was cold, and unforgiving. The ceiling hung with icicles, which threatened to fall at any moment. She kept her sword drawn. “Do you really believe that puny sword will defeat me?” the voice asked. “I am an all-powerful witch.” Nadia smirked.

                “Funny, that’s what Isolde said before I turned her to stone” the voice waivered.

                “But you didn’t kill her did you?” it asked. “Her soul was still alive, wasn’t it?” it asked. Nadia nodded.

                “Before I went back and figured out how to vanquish her. Now, anything is possible.” The voice laughed at her, like tinkling bells.

                “Then she was weaker than I thought. That’s what happens when you spend your time hunting jewels instead of honing your magic.” It cooed.

                “Then you are more powerful?” said Nadia.

                “Of course. It is I who imprisoned the King in his current form, it is I who was able to keep him from speaking, and it was I who was able to control the darkness.” Nadia’s eyes widened. She had come to a sudden realization.

                “Fredrick.” Fredrick was the only being she had met that couldn’t speak, and had led Jiyong to her, he had helped all along.

                “The butterfly, that insipid little insect. He got what he deserved. I should have been queen from the beginning!” she cried. Nadia looked around, where was she?

                “You didn’t fulfill the challenge, why do you think some of the creatures didn’t trust you?” she asked. Azura’s laugh rang out through the halls.
                “They were afraid of my power. The darkness gave it to me. With it, I can do all!” she said.

                “And without it? What would you be able to do then?” asked Nadia. “And even if the darkness gave you power, it didn’t give you the one thing you needed: the peoples’ trust, and that is your downfall.” An angry wind kicked up.

                “How dare you, a mere mortal challenge me?” hail began to rain down from the ceiling. A bright light flashed, sharp jagged cuts of ice swirled around an imposing figure. A woman’s body formed. She rose high, her head forming and ice blue snake-like strands sliding down her body as purple cat like eyes opened and stared down upon her.

Her white robes billowed as she took a step forward, causing the fortress to rumble, and several of the icicles to come bearing down upon them. Nadia dodged them, rolling away and steadying herself with the sword as she narrowly escaped.

“You are but a mere human, not of this world. Isolde’s death is merely a hiccup in my path. Nirvana will be mine.” She said, venom dripping sweetly from her voice. Nadia glared up at the witch.

“You will never take Nirvana, and you will never be the true ruler, the people would never accept you.” Azura flashed her a wicked smile.

“Do you really think that I care about silly traditions? I have the power to do anything!” she cried. “I could destroy the little jewel boy with the flick of my pinky, or flatten you like a bug with the snap of my fingers,” she said, holding her hand at the ready. “Do you really wish to battle me?” Nadia held her sword at the ready.

“I won’t let you destroy this world. And if you hurt one hair on Jiyong’s head, I’ll take yours off!” she said, brandishing her weapon. Azura howled with laughter.

“Do you really love that little thing? He’s not even human!” she cried, beside herself with laughter. “What a ludicrous idea!” an evil smile spread across her lips.

“What a lovely ribbon, she said, plucking the ribbon from Nadia’s hair. Her hair flew into her face, as Azura admired it. “It would make a lovely chain for the jewel boy’s heart. Perhaps I shall wear it as I take the throne.” She said.

Nadia was overcome with a fever. It seized her fast, her eyes rolled into the back of her head, and turned red. In a voice she couldn’t recognize as her own, she heard herself say, “Die, !” the sword slashed at her robes, blood staining the white satin. She cried out, hissing.

“Now, let the battle begin!” she cried, shooting out lightning from her hands. Nadia held up the blade. To her amazement, the blade glowed and vibrated in her grip. It was taking in her magic. Nadia swung the sword, and it shot back out, slapping her with her own medicine.

“AAAaaargh!” she cried out, holding her face. Blood seeped out of her wounds as blisters rose from her skin. “You little wench! Look what you’ve done!” she raised her hands, and the room began to shake. As she brought them down, and back up, icicles shot out of the floor. Nadia ran and dodged through the spears of ice.

She cried out as one fell from the ceiling, piercing her arm. “Aaaahhh!” blood oozed out of her arm. She felt the warm liquid trickle down her skin. She tightly gripped the sword in her other hand. It vibrated. She could hear the aura begging her to be let out. She then did the unthinkable.

Nadia ripped out her arm from the icicle binding her to the floor. She heard the bone split as she rose from the floor. She set the sword against her arm, willing it to heal. There, upon her arm, was left a small scratch.

“Why! Are! You! Not Dying!” she cried, with every word she shot out beams of fire. Nadia dipped and ducked, holding out the sword and shooting back with fiery vengeance.

“Because I actually have something, and someone,” she said, smiling to herself. “Worth fighting for.” She steadied her sword. ‘If you will it, smite her now! She must be destroyed so that Nirvana may return to order!’ the sword answered with a tornado of the aura swirling outward. The power of the sword reverberated in her chest. She could feel her bones rattling. She was thrown back as a blast of energy ripped through Azura. Blood and tissue spattered onto the spiked floor. Azura wasn’t going out without a fight.

“Darkness, creatures of the night! Come to me! Aid me in destroying this wretched human that threatens our way of life!” she cried. A tiny green light fluttered in. Nadia recognized it as the little sprite that pulled her hair in Jaihran. Her face contorted into an evil grin, spiked teeth lining . Her body too contorted, until she had formed into a colossal, black cloud, and suddenly rushed toward her. She could hear it calling for her.

Nadia,’ it whispered. ‘Join me, join us. I can give you insurmountable power! You could rule by our side! Come to me!’

“NEVER!” she cried, lifting the sword, she felt a rush of power and adrenaline. With a bright golden light, she slashed through the darkness. An awful cry let out.

YOU LIED!’ the darkness cried out. ‘YOU HAVE LET THE SACRIFICE SLAY ME! I SHALL TAKE YOUR SOUL IN ITS PLACE!’ Nadia slowly backed away, carefully crawling backwards, taking care of the jagged icicles marking the floor.

“No! No, you can still take her! There is still time!” she cried out. She was on the floor in a crumpled heap, frail and broken.

No!’ it cried. ‘I cannot live now that she has stolen my aura away!’ and with that, the darkness swallowed her up, leaving nothing, but a scrap of satin. It then closed in on itself, causing a massive implosion. The castle shook and quaked as it fell in. she quickly grabbed the satin, and ran for her life.

She ran through the fortress, hoping to find a mirror that she could pass through.  She turned up a passageway, looking into various rooms. She ran into a bathroom and touched a mirror. Damn. It wasn’t a portal.

‘If I were a witch,’ she thought, ‘where would I keep a portal?’ she asked. She ran down the hall and stopped. She turned around bolted for the stairs. She stopped as she realized that the stairs were crumbling. She took her ribbon, which she had tied around her wrist, and secured it to the railing. She tucked the sword under her free arm, and swung down, making sure she was careful to avoid falling debris.

She tumbled to the floor, scraping her knees and arms. She rushed through the doors beneath the stairs, pushing them open.

The room was a grand ode to…well, herself. Painted portraits of her hung upon the walls and were set aside, as well as several mirrors hung about. ‘To admire herself, no doubt.’ Nadia thought to herself.

She pressed her hand to several mirrors. All were just plain mirrors. ‘Strange,’ she thought. ‘I assumed that all mirrors were portals.’ She said, placing her hand on yet another mirror. Unable to find a portal. She stomped her foot. “Where in the bloody hell could it be?” she asked aloud, sighing to the ceiling. Her face fell into a grimace as she looked up, to a mirrored ceiling. She wondered how she was going to make her way up there.

She looked around, and found some chairs. Swiping the portraits and such off the table, she pushed it to the center of the room as she felt the fortress fall around her. ‘If I want to make it out of here alive to restore Nirvana, I must make haste!’ she thought, as she took the few chairs that were set about, and began stacking them to the ceiling.

Nadia stood upon the topmost chair, reaching, her fingers pointed in desperation towards the ceiling. If only she were just a few inches taller. Her fingers grazed the mirrors surface, causing it to ripple.

Oh, marvelous!’ she thought to herself. “Now, if I can just reach it,” she said, standing upon her tip-toes. She her hand in, hoping it would catch hold. She finally gave one last good jump, and was through the mirror.

I do hope this takes me to where I need to go,’ she thought, as she was through the tunnel, and into the light.

*****

Jiyong wrung his hat in his hands. What was taking Nadia so long? Fredrick fluttered about his head. He too was in a tizzy. Embrie looked off into the distance. He was right. It seemed as though she might be having trouble.

Jiyong cocked his head. “What is it, Jiyong?” Embrie asked. He turned about, squinting into the sky.

“I hear, a sort of whistling sound.” He said. Embrie lifted her head and listened intently. She too heard the noise.

“What the devil could that be?” she asked, looking into the sky. Jiyong’s eyes widened as he realized what it was, or rather, who.

“Nadia!” he cried, grabbing onto Embrie’s neck, and swinging himself upon her back. They sped towards her as she fell to the ground. A foot above the ground, she landed in Jiyong’s arms.

“Oh my heavens! Thank goodness, I thought that I was done for!” she cried, holding him tightly. He smiled at her.

“Nadia! Thank goodness you are safe! We were so worried about you!” he cried, holding her close to him.

He was, mostly. I knew you would come out on top,” Embrie said, lowering her wings so that they could disembark.

“So, are you ready?” he asked. She smiled at him. “I am.”

“Then let us be off to the Temple.” She said. Embrie nodded.

“It is located to the east, hidden amongst the trees. Do not worry, it is not far off.” She explained. Nadia nodded, taking Jiyong’s hand.

As they fell behind Embrie, letting her lead the way, she leaned over and whispered into his ear, “While I was in there, she threatened to hurt you. And, I believe I became rather cross. I lost control of myself at that point. I don’t remember coming to until I ripped my arm from a fallen icicle and healed myself with the sword.” She explained. “To be honest, I didn’t know I could even do that.” He smiled and blushed.

“Is that so?” he asked. “You were worried about me?” he asked. She leaned over and quickly gave him a kiss upon his cheek.

“Of course.” She said, blushing a deep crimson. “I care a lot for you, Jiyong.” 

“I…care for you as well, Nadia.” His cheeks flushed with color at his admission. Embrie cleared . They both looked up.

“I believe we’re here.” She said, pointing them to it. It was a small building. It rather looked like a shabby ranch house. She looked at Jiyong, who shrugged his shoulders. Fredrick, on the other hand, was bobbing up and down, ready to get going.

“As you wish, Fredrick.” Nadia said, nodding the others forward. “Alright, let’s go.”

*****

They stepped into the house, and were taken aback at the scale of the inside. It was huge. The ceiling betrayed the outside roof, stretching hundreds of feet into the air. The entire inside glowed a sapphire blue, and crystal chandeliers dripped from their golden chains strung about like constellations upon the ceiling. Ahead of them, crystal columns stood tall against the back wall, as if to accentuate the rock, about three to four feet tall, standing before it. She looked over at Jiyong. He nodded to her.

Nadia’s heart beat in . She was about to set the world right, just as Mother Shiva said she should. But, the aura had said that everyone would leave. Did that mean, Jiyong too? She approached the boulder, and took a deep breath. She could feel the aura pulsing through the sword. She had to do it now.

She raised the sword, and recited the incantation. “Sun and Moon,” she the sword into the stone.

Dark and light.” the sword glowed and vibrated, shaking her entire being.

Bring back the balance,” the stone began to glow, and she could hear the crystals begin to hum.

And restore what is right.” A quick burst of light and wind, almost her upon her knees. She could hear the whispers,

“Thank you, dear warrior.” “We are free!” “Thank you!” “Thank you for our freedom!” the voices swirled around her like a vortex. She fell to her side, as the aura of the Yume flew through the air, and swirled up to the ceiling, dissipating, into eternal calm.

She heard footsteps rushing forward, her head was turned. Someone called her name. It was so far off though. Her vision was hazy, as she went in and out of consciousness.

*****

Nadia’s eyes fluttered open. She sat up, her heart aflutter. “Jiyong!” she cried, looking about. The room was bright, sunlight glimmering through the window. She could see trees gently swaying in the wind just outside. The room was quite spacious, with plush furniture and silken tapestries upon the wall.

She shot out of bed, looking about the room. “Jiyong? Jiyong, where are you?” she asked. A knock came to the door, and a stately man walked into her room. He was a tall, stout man. He was bald, with sparkling green eyes, and a charming smile.

“Miss Nadia, we meet, person to person, at last.” He said, his voice warm and gentle. He came forward, extending his hand. She took it and greeted him politely.

“Hello, good sir. Would you mind telling me where I am? And where is the hatter, Jiyong?” she asked. The man smiled warmly.

“My dear, you are in the castle of Ellesmir, and the hatter is downstairs with Embrie. After you released the aura of the ___, the world came together again, and you were so overtaken by the power, that you were thrown back and fainted.” He explained.

“Oh,” she replied. She was embarrassed that such a thing had happened as she saved the world, a trivial thought. He smiled.

“As for who I am,” he continued, bowing deeply. “My name is Fredrick, King of Nirvana.” dropped open in awe. “I must thank you, not only for saving me, but for saving my kingdom, my world.” He said. She bowed, feeling rather foolish for speaking to him so loosely.

“Oh, you’re welcome, your highness! Excuse my manners, I had no idea!” she exclaimed. Fredrick gave a hearty laugh.

“Oh, Miss Nadia, you are rather funny. Don’t worry yourself with such trivial things as titles. ‘Fredrick’ will do just fine, thank you very much.” She smiled sheepishly. He held out his hand for her to take. “Now, why don’t we find the hatter? I’m sure you must have much to talk about.” She nodded, following him out of the room.

*****

Nadia’s eyes lit up as she saw Jiyong standing outside the castle, speaking to Embrie. He turned, and smiled. They ran into each other’s arms, and Nadia boldly kissed him. His cheeks flushed as Embrie and Fredrick looked away.

“You are quite bold, Miss Nadia,” he said, nervously running his fingers through his hair. She smiled.

“Well, Jiyong! Why the formality? Especially after all we’ve been through?” she asked, chiding him. He smiled.

“Of course, Nadia.” He said purposely. He took her hand. “I need to speak with you in private, would you follow me, please?” he asked. She nodded. He took her down the steps, and into the Imperial Inquiry. They dodged the stars, and made their way into a hallway off to the left.

Nadia sighed in awe as she saw five mirrors, with creatures and various beings coming to and fro. “This is amazing!” she said. “But, once I bound everything together again, why are the mirrors still in use?” she asked.

“Express way. Sure, we can travel the world complete again, but if we wish to get there faster…” he said with a smile. Nadia smiled and nodded.

“I see.” He took her to the line for the mirror for Bagehli. “What are we going here for?” she asked, smiling at him, yet looking at him suspiciously. He smiled back.

“To talk.” He simply said. They shot into the portal, hands tightly clenched together, swirling through the portal into the dark calm of Bagehli.

*****

Jiyong led Nadia to the cliff, where he had given her his heart. She looked about. There were a variety of creatures here, a lot less barren than before. He stood with her over by a tall tree, lights aglow in the leaves. They watched as the clouds crashed upon each other as waves.

“It’s very peaceful here,” she said, letting a small light land upon her hand.

“Well, it is the Land of Eternal Calm, where souls go.” He said, looking at the puffs of light. She blushed, remembering their first visit. He turned to her. “Nadia.” He took her hands.

“Yes, Jiyong.”

“Do you know what must happen now?” he asked, looking into her eyes. His own eyes, were filled with sadness.

“No,” she whispered, tears welling up in her eyes. “Jiyong please, stay here, with me!” fat tears slid down her cheeks.

“Shh, Nadia. Please don’t cry. If it weren’t for you, our world would have plunged into darkness, I would have died, and my people would still be trinkets upon that witch’s wall.” He said, tightening his grip on her hands.

“That still doesn’t...I…I love you, Jiyong. Don’t leave me, please.” She begged. She felt foolish for doing so, but she couldn’t bear the thought of losing him, not again.

“It has to be done. My time here, my quest is finished.” He held her tight. “I love you Nadia, but we cannot stop this. I am not meant to stay here. I must go on.”

“If you must,” she managed through her sobs and tears. “Then I can’t stop you, obviously.” She remembered the words of the Yume, but it just seemed so unfair!

“I love you; you are a strong young woman, Nadia. Never forget me.” He said, sweetly kissing her upon her lips. She leaned in, savoring the feeling of his lips upon her own, his arms around her. As she opened her eyes, she saw a group of butterflies flew away from where Jiyong had stood just seconds before.

“I won’t ever forget you, Jiyong. Ever.” Nadia felt herself sinking into darkness. The stillness of Bagehli faded into darkness.

*****

Nadia woke with a start. She looked down into her lap. Her apple was still in her hand. It had browned in the place where she had bitten into the fruit. She looked up. She could see the city skyline, the scent of oak, pine, and apple pie filled her senses. It was warm, a soft breeze running through her hair. She looked back.

It was her old room. A large armoire off to the left, plaid curtains covered her bay window; photos lined her walls, around at the mismatched furniture sitting upon the rugged wood floor. Her fluffy white Persian cat, Donatello trotted up to her, rubbing his face upon her leg.

“It was all a dream then,” she said to herself, standing up. She tossed the apple into her trash bin, and looked into her mirror. She put her hand forward, and touched it. It was hard. All she saw was herself. No glowing light. No ripples. Just her own reflection. “Such a bittersweet dream.” She couldn’t help the few tears that fell down her cheeks.

A loud knock came from downstairs. She remembered that her parents were asleep. She rushed down the stairs as quickly and quietly as she could, and flung open the door.

A tall, blonde young man stood there, holding a shiny, red ribbon. “Excuse me, Miss?” he held out his hand. “Is this your ribbon?” he asked. “It floated down upon the street.” He blushed. “I, I saw you after school today, with a ribbon, quite like this in your hair. I thought perhaps, that it was yours?” she shyly nodded.

“By the way,” she said, when she finally managed to find words. “What is your name?” she asked. “So that I can properly thank you.” He smiled at her.

“Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong.” He said, smiling sweetly at her. Nadia blushed and returned his heartwarming smile.

“My name is Nadia Im, Kwon Jiyong; it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

THE END.