Chapter 5: The Wisdoms

Butterfly

 

Chapter 5

 

                “Chosen One?” Nadia asked. She looked over at Jiyong and back at Embrie. “Whatever do you mean?”

                “The Wisdoms have chosen you to break the curse upon our world.” Embrie explained.

                “Me? Whatever for?” she asked. The great bird shook her head, small red leaves falling from her horns.

                “I do not know,” she said. “But you may ask them yourself if you wish.” Nadia nodded.

                “I do. What do we have to do to get there?” she asked.

                “Climb upon my back,” instructed Embrie. “I shall take you to Mogebal, The Land of Solitude, where The Wisdoms reside.” Jiyong walked up to her and put his hand on her shoulder.

                “Are you ready, Miss Nadia?” he asked. She nodded. Embrie laid down and let them climb upon her back.

                “Hold on tight.” she instructed. She began to beat her wings, gusts of wind began to pull up flowers, causing them to grasp onto the each other for dear life.

                Nadia held onto Jiyong as Embrie shot through the canopy and into the sky. She loosened her grip as Embrie steadied herself and glided through the clouds. She peered over her wings. She could see mountain tops through the clouds, crashing waves, and in the distance, a dark castle.

                “What is that over there?” she asked, pointing towards the castle. Jiyong looked away.

                “The castle of the Ice Witch, Azura.” he explained. “She and her sister Isolde are dark witches.”

                “Indeed,” said Embrie. “No one goes there unless it is absolutely necessary. Iguadan is a dangerous place.”

                “Iguadan?” Nadia tilted her head.

                “Yes, Iguadan is The Land of Darkness, where demons and other dark creatures dwell.” Jiyong explained. Nadia shivered as she watched the dark clouds swirling around the castle.

                “She looked away, and saw other floating islets.

                “What are those?” she asked, Jiyong. He smiled, happy to be switching the subject.

                “A part of Ellesmir, but we won’t be going there yet.” he said. She smiled; relieved to being seeing something that wasn’t so glum.

                “Where are we going, Mr. Hatter?” Nadia asked.

                “There!” he pointed. She craned her neck, looking at a cave. At the entrance, was a mirror. They came closer and closer until, POP!

                When she opened her eyes, Nadia saw that they were speeding through a spinning tunnel. A light flashed, and everything went still.

                It was very dark. Her eyes struggled to adjust to the sudden light change.

                There was a towering cliff with a waterfall cascading into a large lake. She looked around, the forest surrounding the lake glowed, small lights scattered throughout, twinkling through the canopy. Nadia looked out into the lake, and saw a giant statue.

                It was a white marble dragon; standing next to it was a tall, proud statue of a woman dressed in strange garb.

                “Here we are, Miss Nadia.” said Jiyong, helping her to her feet. She looked back at the lake.

                “What are those?” she asked, clutching onto his jacket.

                “The Wisdoms.” Embrie answered. She lifted her wings and stepped forward. The clouds parted from the moon, shining light upon the statues. Embrie took another step forward, touching her beak to the dragon’s nose.

                The marble statues began to move. The dragon stretched out its wings, letting out a tired roar. The woman stretched her arms, her muscles tired from being so stiff.

                “Embrie,” the dragon called out. “It’s been a long time.” She nodded.

                “Indeed, Vesta, it has.” The dragon looked toward Nadia and Jiyong. “So, you brought the human.” Nadia looked over at Jiyong, as he nudged her forward. She looked up at the dragon.

                “Hello, Nadia. We’ve been waiting for you.”

                “For me?” she asked. “But why?” she asked. The woman stepped forward.

                “Pardon me. My name is Lucinda. Perhaps I could answer you.” She came face to face with Nadia and smiled.

                “You have been chosen by Fate to save us.” she explained.

                “Fate? Save you? I do not quite comprehend this.”

                “Fate has chosen you to battle Azura, the Ice Witch.” Lucinda continued. “She stole away our king and plans to take over Nirvana.”

                “I’m not familiar with politics you know, nor am I one for combat.” Lucinda smiled.

                “Dear child,” she said. “You have nothing to fear.” she said, patting her head softly. “All you need is faith in yourself. You can do all things if you believe you can. You also have one thing that Azura doesn’t,”

                “What is that?” she asked.

                “The ability to be compassionate. She cannot even feel this for her own sister, the witch, Isolde. You have the upper hand in this fight; all you need now is faith in yourself.”

                “And how, do you suppose I defeat her by faith?” Nadia asked. Vesta chuckled.

                “You must find that out on your own.” she said.

                “No offense,” Jiyong shyly piped up. “But if you know everything, why can’t you tell her how to defeat Azura directly?” Embrie and the Wisdoms laughed.

                “We may know all,” said Vesta. “But how are mortals to learn anything if we just tell them?”

                “Besides, experience is the best teacher, you know.” Lucinda winked at Nadia.

                “I suppose,” The dragon looked towards the sky, and then to Embrie.

                “It is almost time.” she said. “Hurry, before the portal closes.” Embrie nodded, and ushered Jiyong and Nadia towards her.

                “Good luck, Nadia.” The Wisdoms stood by as they mounted Embrie and sped out of the portal.

                “Where do we head from here?” asked Nadia. Jiyong turned to her.

                “We must rest. Then, we’ll head to Bagehli, The Land of Eternal Calm.” She nodded.

                “Why is it called that, Mr. Hatter?” she asked.

                “It’s just outside Ellesmir, but it’s so quiet and peaceful there.

                “According to legend,” Embrie spoke up. “It’s where souls go after their physical beings die.” Nadia became nervous.

                “A place for souls?” she asked. Jiyong patted her on the shoulder.

                “Don’t worry, Miss Nadia. It’s not as frightful as it sounds.”

                “I hope you’re right, Mr. Hatter. I hope you’re right.”

 

END OF CHAPTER 5