Chapter 4: Jaihran and Its Misadventures

Butterfly

Chapter 4: Jaihran and Its Misadventures


 

    She slowly moved through the vines hanging down from the canopy.

    ‘This must be Jaihran.’ she thought. As she made her way through the jungle, she saw marvelous things.

    Long vines swayed in the wind as she passed giant forestry. Never in her life had she seen such big mushrooms. The patch she passed came up to her hips, and the trees towered over her like skyscrapers. The flowers were awfully big too. Small lights flew around and flickered as she passed. She stopped, as a small, glowing butterfly landed on her nose.

    “Oh! Who are you?” she asked.

    ‘Well that’s quite silly to ask a butterfly,’ she thought to herself. ‘But then again, I’m not in my own world now, am I? Perhaps they do talk.’ Fredrick bobbed around her head, and signaled for her to follow him.

    “Follow you?” He bobbed up and down in agreement. Nadia shrugged. “Well, it makes as much sense as anything else in this world.” she followed the glowing butterfly, avoiding the swaying flowers and giant buzzing insects.

    “What kind of flower is that?” asked the Tigerlily.

    “Looks like a weed to me,” said the Orchid, pulling at her skirt.

    “Oh!” Nadia exclaimed.

    “I’ll say, just look how wilted her petals are,” commented the Snapdragon, pulling at her hair.

    “Stop that!” she said, smoothing out her hair. “Why, I have never met such a rude bouquet of flowers!” she exclaimed.

    “What a temper!” exclaimed the Venus Flytrap.

    “Well what do you expect from a weed?” asked the Orchid.

    “I am not a weed, now hush before I have the inclination to pick every one of you!” the flowers went in an uproar, and began pelting seeds at her. She ran after Fredrick, glad that they were rooted into the ground.

    She jumped back a little as a spider came down in her face as she was passing through some low hanging fronds. Nadia peeked around the foliage to see Someone sitting on a giant mushroom, surrounded by a beautiful garden of exotic flowers.

    “Hey, I’m walkin’ here!” she looked down, a snail angrily trudged along as she almost stepped on him.

    “I’m so sorry, sir!” she called after him. He just mumbled under his breath and went on his way. Fredrick flew around her head, trying to get her back on track. They emerged through the thicket, and she was finally able to get a better glimpse of the figure on the mushroom.

    She sighed in relief as she saw that it was Jiyong, surrounded by floating lights and glowing butterflies.

    “Mr. Hatter!” she cried, running to him. He looked up and smiled.

    “Ah, Miss Nadia, you’ve finally come!” He jumped down from his stoop and took her in his arms. She was quite taken aback by this herself, but she was so relieved that she had found him, that she didn’t care.

    “It’s alright, Miss Nadia,” he said. “I’m with you, don’t fret any longer.”

    “I was afraid that I had lost you and would never see you again!” she said, looking up at him. “You said you wouldn’t let go!” He softly patted her head.

    “I apologize. I never meant to. I won’t lose you again. I promise.” he said, leaning forward to wipe the tears from her face. She had been so frightened when she found herself alone. Now that he was here, she felt much safer.

“What happened, Mr. Hatter?” she asked, looking about. “How did I land so far away?”

“You panicked, and my hands slipped from yours, you landed a lot farther away than I thought you would.” he said. She blushed in embarrassment. She smiled at him, as he leaned forward and ruffled her hair.

“What is she doing here?” Nadia looked about and saw a small green light that was bouncing around her head. She looked closer, and realized it was a small faerie.

“Well, hello there.” she said. The faerie blew raspberries at her.

“Hello yourself, you weed!” the faerie flew up and pulled at her hair. Jiyong was surprised at the sudden attack.

“Ow! Stop it!” she cried, trying to swat the small creature away. Other faeries came and began pulling her hair and her dress. “Ow! Mr. Hatter, please help me!” Jiyong shook himself out of his stupor and shooed the faeries away, flicking the small green one into a bush.

“Enough!” he shouted. The other faeries froze in their tracks. “I bring her to help me break the curse, and this is how you treat her? Have you no shame?” she asked. The other faeries forlornly bobbed around, apologizing in their tiny voices. “Chida!” he called. The green faerie came from the bush, her arms folded in protest. He held out his hand and let her land there.

“What did you think that you were doing?” he scolded her. “You could have seriously hurt her. You should be ashamed of yourself.”

“I thought she was a witch.” she responded, shrugging her shoulders.

“I don’t believe you,” he said. “I banish you, go back to the grotto, and don’t you ever come near Miss Nadia again.” he said. The green faerie straightened up, the other faeries whispered in hushed voices.

“But, sir, I-” he held his hand up to stop her.

“Enough! She had done nothing to harm you, and hadn’t disgraced you in any way, there was no need for that type of behavior.” he said. Chida hung her head in shame.

“But sir, if you would let me explain, I-”

“Leave. Now.” he commanded. Chida stomped her foot, and flew off into the trees. He turned back to Nadia.

“Are you hurt?” he asked, smoothing out her hair, and inspecting her face.

“No, I’m alright now.” she said, looking down at her feet and twiddling her thumbs. “Thank you, Mr. Hatter.” he smiled and took her by the hand.

“Let me show you something, Miss Nadia.” He brought her to the middle of the clearing in the garden, and took the hat off his head. His blonde hair gleamed in the sunlight, making it look as though he were wearing a halo. He held out his hat, and waited.

A small, red glowing butterfly flew into his hat, and disappeared. He swung his arm back, and a bright light flashed, and a gigantic phoenix flew out.

“Oh!” Nadia gasped as the majestic bird rose to full height. It was absolutely enormous! It’s long neck craned above the canopy, it’s bright red, orange and yellow feathers shone brightly in the sunlight. The phoenix stretched out it’s vast wings, casting shadows upon them. Giant wooden horns protruded out of it’s head, with small leaves growing on them. She stood in awe as it’s multi-colored tail stretched out onto the jungle floor.

It looked down upon her with kind yellow eyes. If she didn’t know any better, she would say that atthey phoenix was smiling at her.

“This, is Embrie.” he said, grasping onto her hand and bringing her forward. “Say hello, Miss Nadia.” she looked up at the majestic bird and stepped forward.

“Hello, how do you do?” she asked, giving a small curtsy. “My name is Nadia Im, but you may call me Nadia.” she said.

“Hello, my dear,” a female voice boomed from it’s frame. Nadia jumped a little. She didn’t quite expect her to respond, but it was Nirvana, she had seen stranger things. “So,” Embrie continued. “You are the Chosen One, are you not?”


 

END OF CHAPTER 4