Chapter 6: Bagehli

Butterfly

Chapter 6: Bagehli

                It was sunset as they burst through the portal, and landed softly on the lush grass. Jiyong helped Nadia down from Embrie’s back. She walked forward, scanning the horizon.

                Clouds crashed upon each other like waves, changing from a creamy orange and pink to sea foam green, seeping into a midnight blue as the sun sank down.

                As stars began to dot the sky, tiny lights floated about. A soft hum buzzed in her ears as the floating lights slowly floated by.

                “What are they?” she asked, softly poking one. It felt like cotton, and shot off as she pulled away.

                 ”These are souls.” Said Embrie. Nadia shrank back a little in embarrassment.

                “Oh, really?” she asked, making a mental note not to poke any more of them. “They seem so delicate.”

                “Indeed.” Embrie lifted her head and watched them pass by. “Some of the most important parts of ourselves are the most delicate.” She explained. “Such as our souls or our hearts.” Nadia looked over at Jiyong. He was standing over by the edge, emitting a soft glow.

                “Embrie,” whispered Nadia.

                “Yes, Nadia?”

                “Why does Jiyong glow like that?” she looked over and cocked her head.

                “Did he not tell you?” she asked.

                “Tell me what?” she asked.

                “Earlier today, when the Wisdoms asked that the human step forward, did you not realize that he stood still?” Nadia slowly nodded.

                “But, if he’s not human, what is he?” she asked.

                “He is one of the purest souls ever in existence.” Explained Embrie. “The only one left of his kind.” Her eyes seemed sad as she went on. “A Yume.”

                “You mean he’s alone?” she looked over at him. “Poor Jiyong.”

                “Oh, don’t pity him my dear,” she said, bending her head down close to Nadia. “He seems much happier, now that he’s met you.” Nadia blushed.

                “Why me? What makes me so special?” she asked.

                “Go ask him yourself.” She nudged her forward. Nadia hesitated.

                “I don’t know about this, what if you’re mistaken?” she asked. “I don’t want things to get, awkward.”

                “How are you going to face a witch if you can’t even face your own feelings?” as she posed this question, he turned around.

                “Nadia!” he called, waving her over. She looked at Embrie, who nodded. She slowly walked forward, and sat down next to him.

                “Are you frightened, Nadia? He asked, turning to face her.

                “Frightened? No,” she replied. “I’m petrified. I’ve never done anything remotely close to this, to say the very least.” She smiled at him. “I can’t say I regret coming with you, though.” Jiyong blushed.

                “You don’t?” she shook her head.

                “I’m viewing a whole new world. How could I be bitter at such a rare and wonderful opportunity?” he smiled at her.

                “I’m glad you were chosen.”

                “Why?”

                “I couldn’t imagine sharing this journey with anyone else. Nor do I wish to.”

                “Oh, Mr. Hatter.” She blushed. Her heart beat faster and faster. He took her by the hand.

                “Nadia,” he turned her face toward him. “Call me Jiyong.”

                “Jiyong.” Saying his name made butterflies flutter about in her insides. She could feel blood rushing to her cheeks. Her body felt hot and went dry.

                “I want to give you something.” He said. “Something I can only give to one person, because I only have one to give.” He reached into his shirt, and pulled out what looked like a purple rock. It was about the size of a chicken egg, and was on fire, enveloped in blue flames. She backed away.

                “Give me your hand,” he instructed. Nadia hesitated. “Don’t worry, it doesn’t hurt.” She took his hand, and he brought it closer. She closed her eyes, anticipating a burning sensation, but it never came. Instead, she felt something comfortably warm. She opened her eyes. It was now resting in her hand. He brought up her other hand to cradle it. She felt it pulse softly.

                “What am I to do with it?” she asked. He smiled.

                “Keep me safe.” He moved her hands to her chest. She felt it sink into her skin, and rest inside her chest next to her heart. It began to sync with her own, beating as one.

                “What is it, which I’m holding?” She asked, Jiyong took her by the hand.

                “My heart.” Nadia blushed. She had always heard the expression, “to give someone your heart,” but she never knew that it could be done literally. “Nadia,” Jiyong said, turning her face towards his.

                “Yes, Jiyong?”

                “Will you protect me for always?”

                “Of course, forever.” She leaned her head upon his shoulder. He shyly put his arm around her as they looked upon the crashing waves of the sea of clouds.

*****

                Nadia woke up with a fright as she heard a bloodcurdling scream. She looked about, realizing that Jiyong wasn’t next to her. She shot to her feet, and sprinted towards the screaming. As she came upon it, she saw a figure writhing in pain. She ran over to them.

                It was Jiyong. He was white as a sheet, his veins bulging through his skin. He was clutching his chest, crying out like a banshee. Nadia knelt down, taking his head into her lap.

                “Jiyong, Jiyong, can you hear me?” she his hair, moving it out of his eyes. She looked around. It was pitch black, no faeries, or creatures of any kind were about. Embrie was far off; she decided to go fetch her. As began to stand up, she felt a sharp tug on her arm. She turned back, seeing that Jiyong had taken a hold of her arm.

                “Don’t leave me,” he managed to choke out.

                “Jiyong, if I don’t get help,” he put his hand up.

                “It’s nothing, I’m fine. It will pass.” He whistled, and Fredrick came flying out of a tree, fluttering around his head. “She’s near, isn’t she?” he asked. Fredrick bobbed up and down.

                “Who is ‘she’?” asked Nadia. “Is someone following you?”

                “Nadia,” he turned to her. “Hide. Protect me.” Nadia shook her head.

                “No, I don’t know what’s happening, but I’m not going to leave you. I’ll protect you by staying here, by your side.” He shook his head.

                “No,” he said sternly. “Hide” he pointed at her chest. “Protect me.” He pointed to himself. “I’ll be fine.” As she began to protest, a dark mist rolled in. Jiyong gave a sharp whistle, and Nadia was swept up in a fury of feathers.

                “Jiyong!” she cried, as Embrie took her deep within the woods.

*****

                A tall, statuesque woman floated onto the island, followed by an enormous, black griffon. She slowly approached Jiyong. Her crimson robes swayed in the breeze, her ebony hair tied back into a tight bun. She smirked as she saw him gasp for air.

                “Well, well, well,” she stepped forward, picking him up by his hair. “It seems that I’ve finally found you, Mr. Hatter.” Jiyong tried to wriggle out of her grip, but to no avail. “This time, you won’t escape me so easily.” She turned to her griffon, mounted him, throwing Jiyong over his back, and flew away.

                As the mist slowly cleared, Nadia came running through the trees, ripping her dress on the sharp branches.

                “Jiyong! Jiyong!” she cried. Embrie came flying out of the woods, blocking Nadia’s path with her wings. “Jiyong! Jiyong!” Tears of frustration ran down her cheeks as she sank to her knees. She turned to Embrie.

                “Who was that? What does she want with him?” Embrie rose, looking down upon Nadia with a grave expression.

                “Isolde.” She said, ruffling her feathers.

                “I-Isolde? Who is that, specifically?” Nadia got up, brushing the dirt from her knees, and wiping away her tears.

                “Another witch. She has been after his heart since he appeared in Ellesmir many years ago.”

                “Why is she after his heart?” she asked, clutching her chest.

                “I don’t know, Nadia.” Embrie shook her head. “I don’t know.” Fredrick fluttered about Nadia’s head, flying out to the edge of the cliff and back. She turned to Embrie.

                “We need to save him. Where is she headed?” she asked. Embrie nodded over to the darkest corner of Nirvana.

                “Iguadan.” Nadia put her hand on Embrie’s wing, looking up at her with determination and fire in her eyes.

                “Let’s go.”

END OF CHAPTER 6