Chapter 7: Iguadan

Butterfly

Chapter 7: Iguadan

Embrie watched Nadia as she paced the campsite. It had been several hours since Jiyong had been whisked off. She had to formulate a plan. She couldn’t just rush in without a plan, she was a witch, and Nadia, a simple girl with no special powers or abilities whatsoever.

“Nadia, rest. You won’t be able to think clearly if you are unable to function.” Said Embrie, hoping that she would calm down. Nadia shook her head.

“I can’t, I need to figure out how to rescue him. What could I possibly do?” she asked. She sat down upon a rock. Embrie looked about, trying to rack her brain. She was ultimately puzzled. Fredrick, however, fluttered about, trying to get their attention. Embrie finally snapped to reality, realizing how Fredrick frantically fluttered about.

“Nadia, look! I think that Fredrick is trying to tell us something!” She looked up, seeing him fluttering about, in the opposite direction where Jiyong was taken. There were dark clouds, and what seemed to be peaks beyond them.

“What’s over there, Embrie?” she asked. Embrie squinted, cocking her head in curiosity.

“Well, I…well I never.” She exclaimed. She turned to Fredrick. “How is going there supposed to help?” she asked. Fredrick fluttered in a circle, motioning towards the dark corner. She sighed.

“It’s Mt. Tunde, my birthplace. The birthplace of all great beings.” She explained. “I don’t see how that’s supposed to help us thought,” she said. Nadia shrugged.

“What do we have to lose?” she asked. Embrie nodded.

“Good point.” She lowered herself, allowing Nadia to adjust herself upon her back. “Let’s get going shall we?” Nadia nodded over to Fredrick.

“Lead the way, Fredrick! We’re counting on you!” she said. Fredrick bobbed excitedly and flew off into the direction of the peaks.

*****

The wind bit at her face as it whipped through her hair. As they approached the mountain, a heat wave washed over them, flushing Nadia’s cheeks. It was dark, lightning flashed as they landed onto the mountain. Nadia dismounted from Embrie’s back. Hot wind blew through her hair. She looked up at her.

“Where to now?” she asked. Embrie looked around. She nodded her head over to a crevice in the mountain.

“There, I believe. It has been quite some time since I’ve been here.” Nadia nodded.

“Then let’s go, the faster we find Jiyong, the better.” Embrie nodded as they set off. The crevice was a lot bigger on the inside than the outside had portrayed. Nadia had imagined going in and scaling a wall, barely able to make her way, but it was rather roomy inside. Embrie was able to fit and walk comfortably.

The walls of the cavern were bathed in deep purple stalactites. Nadia and Embrie had to duck somewhat as they approached the back of the cavern, but came out the other side unscathed.

In front of them was a giant cove, with what seemed to be an ice bridge leading to grand white doors on the other side. Embrie motioned for Nadia to go forth alone. Nadia was about to say something, but taking in the fact that Embrie was a Phoenix; a fire bird, and she was about to cross an ice bridge, she said nothing and continued alone.

The ice was freezing beneath her feet. The cold tingled from her toes into her fingertips. It was a grand bridge, adorned with ice crystals and curlicues spiraling up the columns holding up the banisters. She exited the bridge, looking back at Embrie. She nodded, signaling that she’d be waiting for her. Nadia nodded, and turned her attention to the door.

It was colossal; it towered over her, dwarfing her. It was like placing a penny next to a sycamore tree. The cold emanating from door was enough to freeze her down to her bones. She stepped forward, crossing her arms over her body, and knocked on the door.

“WHO DARES TO SEEK ME?” A female voice boomed out from behind the door. A bit shaken, Nadia straightened herself out.

“I am Nadia Im. I am seeking help to rescue the Hatter, who was taken by the witch Isolde.” There was a thunderous roar as the doors swung open. Nadia shaded her eyes as a blinding light filled the room. She looked from beneath her arm to witness a giant periwinkle blue bird gliding towards her. The bird’s eyes gleamed crimson red and its sapphire plumage graced its body, flying outward like ribbons.

“Nadia, the Chosen One. You have come at last. The Wisdoms foretold of your arrival.” She said, settling herself in front of Nadia. Nadia bowed politely.

“It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, um…”

“I am called Adonis.” She said. Nadia cocked her head. Wasn’t that a male god’s name? She didn’t dare question the majestic being, however. She simply nodded and smiled. “It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance as well, Miss Nadia.” She looked over, acknowledging Embrie, who did the same. She looked down upon her, her eyes smiling kindly.

“So, you seek Isolde. She is a powerful witch.” She said. Nadia nodded.

“I don’t care; we need to save the Hatter, Jiyong.” She nodded.

“Of course. Do you know why she wants him?” she asked. Nadia shook her head. Adonis turned her head towards the door. “Come with me,” she said. Nadia nodded, and came forward.

*****

                The inside of the room was completely made of ice. From the chandelier hanging from the ceiling, to the paintings hanging on the wall. Adonis led her into a room, letting her enter first.

                The walls were covered in precious stones, roughly the size of the heart she held inside her that was not her own. Each stone was faceted onto the wall beneath a picture.

                “W-what is this?” she asked Adonis.

                “This is what remains of Jiyong’s people.” She explained. “They were a race of kind people; their homeland was invaded by many armies, in search of the treasure there. What they found, however, were the hearts of the people. They were slain and their hearts taken as simple treasures.” Nadia stood there horrified. These people were wiped out for their hearts, for, treasure. To practically just sit there and collect dust.

                “What treasure were they seeking when they went there?” she asked.

                “The Crimson Heart. It stored a vast amount of magic, and served as a gateway to your world and ours. The armies’ true goal was to find it and dominate both worlds.” Nadia’s own heart froze in fear. World domination? Sounded like a cliché video game plot.

                “Is that what Isolde is after?” Adonis shook her head.

                “No, I’m afraid not.” She said. Nadia looked at her horrified.

                “Then what could she possibly want with him?” she asked. Adonis looked at her with sad eyes.

                “Isolde fancies herself a jewel hunter,” she explained. “All she wants,” she continued. “Is his heart to mount on her wall.” Nadia’s eyes grew wide.

                “She’s killing him for sport?!” she cried. Adonis nodded sadly. “I have to save him! Where is she?” she asked.

                “To the west of here, but it’s dangerous.” She said, moving over to a grand chest settled in the back of the room. She opened it and beckoned Nadia over. hung open in awe as she gazed upon the chest’s contents. A glowing sword with a diamond handle lie there. “Take it.”  She said. “It is for a warrior befitting of your quest.” Nadia took it out of the case, holding it in her hands. She had never wielded a weapon in her life, not that she had ever needed to. She looked up at Adonis.

                “Thank you.” She said, bowing to her. Adonis bowed her head.

                “Of course, good luck on your journey,” she said, leading her out of the room and back into the cavern. “Give my regards to Embrie, I hope you find Master Jiyong well, Miss Nadia.” She said. Nadia nodded back.

                “As do I, Adonis. As do I.” she headed back to Embrie, and stood there with the sword in her hands. “Adonis sends her regards.” Embrie nodded.

                They silently made their way back out. Embrie looked back at Nadia. Such an innocent girl taking on a big responsibility. She sighed.

                “Where to now, Nadia?” she asked.

                “To the west, we are going to save Jiyong.” She said, looking at the sword. “I won’t let him die.” She said. Embrie nodded as she bent down to let Nadia climb on her back, and fly towards the imminent danger.

END OF CHAPTER 7