When I Thought It Was Getting Better

Torn

 

Over lunch, we had devised a plan to ensure that Jihoon wasn’t actually dating Chanyeol.  Well, they devised a plan after me and Jongin had explained the situation and hastily left, Kibum claimed us not knowing made it easier for them. 

The rest of the day passed without much event.  I was torn between being happy with gaining five new, and honestly fantastic, friends, or sobbing in a corner for losing the only person I had really loved like that.  With a sigh, I continued shoving my books into my backpack, and getting ready to go home.  

I threw my backpack over my shoulder and headed off to catch the bus home.  Jongin had given me back my phone at lunch and I had to answer some questioning texts from my parents about who this Jongin was and what had he done with me.  I smiled a little at my parents concern, and walked out the front doors of the school.

A car horn directed my attention to a white mercedes convertible, with a beautiful Kibum behind the wheel.

“ Get in loser, we’re going shopping!” He yelled at me and pointed to the seat next to him, making Taemin and Jonghyun (who were in the back seat) giggle. 

I climbed in next to him and we took off.  The wind whipped my hair everywhere, but it didn’t really bother me.  When Kibum announced that he was paying, I almost automatically protested, but was shushed by Jonghyun telling my it was useless to argue.  The diva does as the diva wants, I guess. 

When we reached the mall, Kibum dragged me in by the wrist mumbling something about what store we should visit first.  Jonghyun and Tae followed along behind us laughing and joking about Kibum’s behavior.  I was his new ‘favorite’ apparently.  

I was pulled into a store that I didn’t recognize, Armani... Abercrombie... I’m not sure but it looked expensive and seeing as my family wasn’t particularly wealthy I didn’t shop in places like it.  We wandered around a little, Kibum picking things up, glancing at me, and throwing them in the basket Jonghyun was being forced to drag around carrying. 

After being thrown into a changing room, I changed into the clothes as Kibum directed and modeled for them.  About halfway through the little show Taemin disappeared.  Although I did’t like the thought of Kibum buying me a bunch of clothes, I had to admit it felt nice getting a bunch of compliments on my appearance from he and Jonghyun (and a few other people standing in line). 

Kibum took everything he liked and went to stand in line.  I assumed I was following, but I guess not seeing as Jonghyun took my to another store instead.  Sephora came into view and I jumped a little in excitement, designer clothing may not have always been available, but my mum insisted I don’t waste my time with cheap and damaging makeup.  Jonghyun noticed my change in attitude and smiled.

“ Like makeup?” he asked.

“ Yeah... I kinda always have.  My mum thought it was really weird when I was young and my dad even yelled at my for wearing it in public once, but that never stopped me.  I think I was about grade 7 when my mum caved and bought me a nice eyeliner from Urban Decay and I’ve been hooked ever since.” I admitted, giggling to myself.

“ You’re really cute when you get excited you know...” Taemin muttered into my ear, hugging me from behind. 

I squealed in surprise making both of them laugh, “ and when you’re scared.  Remind me to scare him some time Tae!” Jonghyun chuckled. 

I blushed furiously and just made my way into the store and lost myself in makeup.  It had always calmed me to wander down the isles of any makeup boutique and browse, and that’s exactly what it did now.  I felt myself become absorbed in new eye shadows colors from Two Faced and Urban Decay, new lipstick finishes from Makeup Forever and new brushes from Hello Kitty. 

“ Hi, can I help you with anything?” a pretty, blonde haired boy about Kibum’s height asked me.

“ No thanks...” I replied awkwardly, “ Actually... sorry if this is weird but I didn’t know guys could work here...” 

“ Oh haha...” He rubbed the back of his neck nervously, “ Yeah I kinda have experience with makeup and stuff and the noonas liked me... Heh it is a lot harder to get a job as a guy, but it definately is possible.  Why? You considering?” 

“ Well yeah... my mum’s always getting on me about getting a job but I’m not really the fast food restaurant type and I don’t like stacking boxes or fixing machines...” I replied with a small smile.

“ Thats what I told my dad when he tried to get me a job!” the boy exclaimed, “ I’m Himchan, by the way.” 

I shook his hand and his eyes lit up as he smiled.

“ You should work here though, I could use a guy around... the noonas are always flirting with me its kinda irritating...” his face shifted to displeasure shortly making me laugh. 

“ I’m Baekhyun, and I’ll definitely consider it.” I smiled again.

I seemed I was meeting so many nice people lately it almost made up for losing Chanyeol... almost. 

“ Who is this?” Kibum asked, coming up behind me. 

“ Kibum, this is Himchan, he’s been trying to convince me to work here.  Himchan this is my friend Kibum.” I introduced the two. 

“ Yep, I’m in charge of Baek’s looks and friends.” Kibum announced looking Himchan up and down earning a weary glance from the later, “ Don’t worry Himchan-ah, I approve.” 

“ A little over confident there Umma?” Tae and Jonghyun mocked together, “ I’m Taemin and this is Jonghyun.  We’re friends of Baekhyun and adopted children of Kibum.  I would watch out if I were you or you’ll be adopted too.” 

Himchan laughed and he, Tae and Jonghyun chatted on while Kibum was dragging me somewhere again.  We ended up in front of the Bobbi Brown section.  He plucked an eyeliner, an eye shadow set and a primer up and made me sit at one of the booths so he could do my makeup.  

He had finished applying the base and shadow when he paused and considered.  Mumbling to himself he moved my face around obviously trying to decide what to do. 

“ May I?” Himchan asked from behind him. 

Kibum nodded and handed him the pencil.  Himchan made quick work of my eyes, but afterward I almost didn’t recognize myself.  He had slightly winged it out and made it thicker on the bottom than the top.  I looked stunning. 

Himchan was standing next to me with a smug smile on his lips and his arms crossed.

“ Thanks, hyung...” I mumble more to myself then Himchan. 

“ Its my job you know.” He replied smoothly, “ Although you are a lot prettier than most of the girls that come in here and ask me to do their makeup.” 

The grimace flashed through his face briefly again, making my laugh.  He raised an eyebrow, but dismissed it soon afterwards. 

“ Ohmigod! Baekkie you look beautiful!” Taemin gushed, hugging me. “ Thank you.” he said to Himchan over my shoulder. 

Himchan just waved him off and went back to work. 

As we were leaving the store Himchan told me to remember to apply.  I nodded, of course, and for the first time in a long time I felt like I belonged and like I was wanted. 

After almost three hours of trying to make Kibum, who I was growing to call Umma, we were all tired and hungry. 

“ C’mon Umma just let us get something to eat!” Tae begged. 

“ But than we won’t be allowed in any of the stores!” Kibum replied, looking horrified.

“ But we’re starving! I’ll even buy just please!” Jonghyun tried.

“ NO! Plus none of the food in the Food Court is any good.” Kibum argued. 

“ Why don’t we take a break and go out.  There is a nice little restaurant just down the road that serves some pretty amazing soup.  We can back to shopping right after. Please Umma?” I asked, tugging on Kibum’s sleeve. 

He looked over at me and sighed, “ Fine...” 

Me, Jonghyun and Taemin all rejoiced and I lead the way out of the mall.  Well, I tried at least, until I saw Chanyeol sitting at a table near the door feeding his ‘boyfriend’ some little fruits.  With. His. Hands. 

His fingertips slightly dipped into Jihoon’s mouth each time and it made me want to throw up.  I wanted to go tear my Chanyeol away from that little bastard, but knew that it wasn’t Jihoon’s fault and, for all I knew, he was being genuine.  The tears fell from my eyes, but didn’t make it halfway down my cheeks before they were stopped by a clothed shoulder. 

Taemin had pulled me into a tight hug and was patting and running his fingers through my hair.  He softly kissed the base of my neck and murmured comforting words into my ear.  Jonghyun patted my back and Kibum coughed really loudly making Chanyeol look up from the boy in front of him.

I was let go of and looked straight at him.  I heard Kibum mumble something about water-proof eyeliner and Himchan being smart but I didn’t quite catch it.  I just held eye contact with the boy I loved and hoped to god it was hurting him as much as it was me.


HELLO SWEETIES! I hope you liked it... this one was a little longer than the others (closer to 1600 words than 1200-1300).  I hope you all like Himchan being tossed in here... I was bored okay?  Thanks so much for reading and please comment.

Please COMMENT, subscribe and upvote!

~ Jocelyn xoxo