A Mother's Wisdom

Torn

 

I cracked open my eyes and peered around the unfamiliar room.  It smelt oddly familiar, and some distant memory told me that I had been brought here by someone I knew, but the details were still blurry in my memory.  There was something else weird about the situation, and that was the fact that my movements were restricted by something strong around my waist. 

I struggled against it a little, and when it pulled me back into something solid and warm I realized that it was someone’s arm, and I was pulled back against someone’s chest.  The person’s breath ghosted over my neck and ear making me shutter.  Rationally speaking, I should have been terrified, but I felt unusually safe. 

“ Baekkie....” I heard the person behind me mumble, “ how are you feeling.” 

“ Fine... why?” I asked, swiveling around in his arms so I could see who I was talking to. 

I came face to face with Jongin and for a minute couldn’t comprehend why I was lying in bed with him, but then the day before came rushing back to me, and I felt myself tense in his grasp.

“ Just remembered hmm?... shhh its gonna be okay.” He comforted, holding me against him and running his long fingers through my hair. 

I sobbed quietly for god knows how long, bitterly savoring the emptiness that Channie had left in me.  There was nothing left in me, and I felt so completely hollow.  

“ Jongin-ah, I don’t think I can do this...” I admitted quietly.

“ Please... I know its hard but this way you only loose him for two weeks.  Hey maybe I’ll be able to convince Kris to make it a week and a half....” he suggested, trying his best to make it better for me.  I had to give it to him, he was a really nice guy. 

“ I don’t know if that’ll even help...” I moped, “ I honestly don’t think I can live with myself knowing I hurt him so much and that he may never forgive me.” 

“ He’ll forgive you, don’t worry.  Love does crazy things to people.” He reassured me again, patting my hair. 

“ I guess you’re right...” I muttered with a sigh, dragging myself out of his bed.  Glancing at the clock on the wall, I saw that it was almost 7:30 and figured I should get ready for school. 

“ Are you going to school?” I asked Jongin, trying to smooth out some of the wrinkles that had gathered on my uniform while I slept. 

“ I guess we probably should...” he replied, climbing out of bed and sending me downstairs to eat while he changed. 

I wandered out of his bedroom and down the creme-walled hallway to where the staircase was.  It was a nice house, nothing out of the ordinary mind you, but quaint and cozy.  The carpeted stairs led down to a small living room and I searched around a minute or two until I found the kitchen from there. 

As I entered, I smelt food cooking and heard someone humming.  I was cautious, knowing the state I was in, but entered anyway.  The woman standing in front of the burners cooking had her long, dark auburn hair tied up in a messy bun and was wearing an apron.  Her skin was slightly tanner than Jongin’s and she had a petite frame, although her voice was angelic and soothing. 

“ Just have a seat, the food will be ready soon,” she started, turning her head to face me, “ I’m Jongin’s mother, in case you’re curious.” 

“ Uhh... Thank you!” I replied, bowing and sitting at the table, still a little shocked that she knew I was there.  

After a minute or two she placed a large plate of food in front of me, a soft smile dancing on her lips, and sat across from me at the table.

“ So... When Jongin brought you in yesterday you were in pretty bad shape.  What happened, if you don’t mind me asking?” she inquired, her gentle voice soothing me and comforting me greatly. 

“ Its... I-Its a long story.” I stuttered, playing with my food a little, not quite sure how much Jongin had told her already.

“ Well I’m here to listen if you want to tell anyone.  Jongin told me that you were helping him win a bet over some girl or something...” she trailed off, seeming pretty irritated by what her son was doing for a girl. 

“ I...” I started, looking up at her briefly.  She tilted her head slightly, encouraging me to continue, “ I hurt the boy I love with all my heart yesterday and I don’t think he will ever take me back...” 

“ What did you do to hurt him so badly he will never take you back?” she asked quite incredulously.

“ I... cheated.  But it doesn’t count because its for the best in the end and it was the only way I could fix the end result.” I started, then withered away to just above a whisper, “ but I know how much it hurt him and I don’t think I will ever forgive myself for it.” 

“ You may never forgive yourself, but I can guarantee he will take you back.  Sweetie, if he was so hurt by your betrayal then he must love you quite a bit.  Believe me, love makes people crazy, but not always irrational.  If you had good reason than he will understand.” she explained, “ Now just work on forgiving yourself and you’ll be all set.  Well, Jongin’s coming so I better make sure his food is all ready.” 

She gave me a reassuring smile and went back into the kitchen to fix up Jongin’s meal.  He was really lucky to have such a wonderful mother, but it did make me wonder why exactly she was so timid.  I didn’t want to pry, so I decided not to ask. 

“ Hey Jongin.” I called lightly as he walked into the eating area and took a seat next to me. 

“ Well someone is in lighter spirits!” He commented, “ My mum talked to you didn’t she?  She has a way with comforting people...” 

“ Yeah, I love her already.  Hey, I just wanted to thank you for all of this.  Taking care of me and bringing me home with you and comforting me and all.  I mean, you didn’t have to by any means, so thanks...” I ended awkwardly. 

“ Don’t worry about it!  I kind of got you into this mess so just forget it all happened, seriously!  I like having you around, anyway.  My mum actually cooks nice food when there are people around.” He joked, smiling sweetly at his mom as she placed his food in front of him.  

I laughed with them and felt a slight weight lift off my shoulders.  And however good it felt to be lighter, I felt undeserving of it.  I still had hurt someone I loved so deeply and I didn’t deserve to be happy.


Hey y'all so I'm like super sorry I didn't update in so long, please forgive author-nim? *puppy dog eyes*  Anyway I hope you like my slightly fluffy-ish chapter featuring Jongin's mom :) 

Please COMMENT, subscribe and upvote!

~ Jocelyn xx