Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Crazy, Stupid Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dara was busy packing her things, just her essentials since she had sent most of her things ahead to her new address in Boston. A month ago she received her acceptance letter for her application for a Master’s program for Human Development and Psychology.

She didn’t expect to be accepted she only followed Seung Hyun’s suggestion to apply since she’s got good credentials anyway. He told her that it wouldn’t hurt if she tried and true enough after a few weeks after she submitted her application she got a phone interview and video call interview. Her admission letter and documents came after.

Seung hyun has been nothing but supportive. He was planning to move back to New York and eventually move in with her in Boston. He was about to tell his family of his decision. That was the plan until he received his Military draft notice. That was part of the reason why he returned to Korea to begin with. He was sent to the US since he was 19 and his early 20s were spent there too. Now that he’s in his late 20’s he’s bound to get drafted. Since his return he was expecting the draft letter to arrive. He completely forgot about it when he got busy with work and because he met Dara and suddenly his priorities in life changed. It became his sole purpose in life to make Sandara Park happy.

Seung Hyun didn’t know how to tell her. She was excited to fly to the US together but his notice came only a few weeks before their trip. If the notice came before meeting Dara it would have been so much easier for him. Now he just wants to run away with her instead.

“A penny for your thoughts?” she said as she sat next to him.

Seung Hyun just made a deep sigh. He encouraged Dara to get her masters and he was hoping he can go with her. “I don’t know how to tell you this but I can’t go to the US with you.”

“Why what happened?” Dara looked at him with concern.

“My Military notice just arrived. I know we already made plans but it’s all screwed up again,” Seung Hyun muttered.

Dara could see the defeated look on Seung Hyun’s face. They already made arrangements. They will see each other every weekend. She would visit New York or he will come visit her in Boston. They were sort of planning to live in Boston together. He just hasn’t told his family yet but with the military draft notice they have no choice but to be a part for the duration of his service.

Dara hugged him and patted his back. “It’s okay. I can wait. I know it’s not going to be easy but we’ll get through this even if we’ll be apart. I will wait for you and before you know it your 22 months in the military would be over,” she reassured him.

“I will focus on school but I will send you as many letters as I can too,” Dara said. “Our relationship is going to be filled with old school love letters being exchanged back and forth. But I think I can send you emails as well. I will have to figure out the guidelines for that.”

“I’m glad you’re looking at it in a positive light. I promise I will only have your picture in my dorm cabinet. No girl group members, no actresses or TV personalities, just you,” he proclaimed.

This made Dara laugh.

“That’s very reassuring,” she muttered as she hugged him tighter. “When will you enter the military?” she asked him.

“Next week. I can’t even send you off to the airport,” he replied, his frustration obvious in his tone.

“Then I will be with you when you enter the military camp,” she declared. “They could have waited for you to fully recover from your injuries.”

“My last trip to the hospital showed I’m all healed now. I didn’t get any major injuries after all,” he remarked while he held her in his arms. “I’m more worried about being apart from you for 22 months. That’s a very long time,” he commented.

“I can take care of myself. And I will come visit during my break,” she reassured him. “I don’t mind flying back to Korea to see you.”

“I know we just started dating, and all of a sudden I’ll be away from you for a long time,” he muttered.

“Trust me I’ll wait for you. Plus I’ll be busy with school so I have enough distractions while I wait patiently for you. I will still miss you but at least school work will preoccupy me,” she said.

“I don’t know what I will do without you,” he said, “even if it’s just 22 month," every time he repeats those words the more they feel the gravity of their time apart.

“I know what we should do,” Dara exclaimed as she tried to break the sad mood. “Choi Seung Hyun-shi, can you please go on a date with me?” She declared. She grabbed his hand and pulled him up. They decided to meet in the officetel lobby.

After 15 minutes Dara and Seung Hyun met in the lobby. They were dressed in comfy clothes enough to keep them warm while they go on their date. They decided to ride the bus. They first went to Lotte World and enjoyed the indoor theme park.

Like a bunch of teenagers on their first date they rode different rides together from the carousel, to the indoor roller coaster and bump cars. They took pictures together as if trying to make as much memories together.

They went to Myeongdong for some shopping. They visited many health and beauty shops as well as big brand shops and they also tried all the food they could eat from just about every food stall they passed. They spent the rest of the night in each other’s arms in the balcony of Seung Hyun’s room. They watched the city lights fade and promised to spend the rest of their days together before his enlistment.

~A week later at the Nonsan Training Center

Seunghyun ran his hand over his new buzzed haircut. Initially he had Dara cut his hair but after she finished they both agreed that they needed a professional to fix his hair.

The Choi clan was all there to send him off. Taeyang his friend was also enlisting the same time. They are hoping to be included in the same group.

Dara was accompanied by her cousin Bom and her brother Chanyeol. Dara was doing her best holding back her tears. She and Tabi were just getting started with their relationship and life decided to throw them yet another curve ball.

When Seung Hyun finally reached her she found herself wrapped in his embrace.

“Write to me whenever you can,” he said then kissed the top of her head.

“Stay healthy and be safe always,” she muttered. “I will write to you every day.”

“All new recruits please enter the gates,” a loud announcement blasted from the speakers hanging outside the camp walls.

Seung hyun held Dara a minute longer then kissed her for the last time before letting her go. “Take care and have a safe trip. I’ll be counting the days until we see each other again,” he muttered.

Taeyang went to join Seung hyun and both headed towards the gate.

Dara held on to Bom and cried in her arms.

“Noona, hyung will be alright,” Chanyeol tried to reassure his sister.

 

~12 months later~

 

Dear Tabi,

I’m going to keep this email short because I have tons of paper work but I can’t possibly skip sending you an email. I’ve already gone to half off the places in your recommendation list. I imagine the younger you going to those places with classmates and friends. I know that one day we will visit those places together. I will send another email later when I have free time.

Lots of Love,

Dara

 

She smiled after reading her email then she hit the send button.

“Finished your morning ritual of sending your boyfriend an email,” the server said as she handed Dara her order.

“Yes I’ve been very busy lately and I can only have free time in the morning before class,” she replied.

“He must really be charmingly special to have such a pretty girl like you wrapped around his fingers,” the server commented.

“Seung hyun is quite the sweetheart.” Dara said. She can’t help but smile as the thought of him filled her head. She misses him dearly. It’s already been twelve months and despite her being busy with school she can’t help but still long for him every day.

Seung hyun gave her a list of places to visit and she’s been going through his list and visiting his recommended places every free weekend. She would take photos and she has started putting together a collection of the photos she has taken.

“I’m heading to class now,” Dara said as she gathered her things.

It was still early and she usually enjoys a quiet walk to her class. She would often meet some classmates along the way. Almost more than half of her class are younger than her whilst some are her age or older. She has also gotten used to random guys approaching her and asking for her number but she’s already perfected her way against their advances.

She did make some friends in class since they were the only Koreans there.

“Dara-noona,” a group of tall boys called out in unison.

“Yedera, annyeong!” she greeted them. The boys run up to her. Their tall height made it more obvious that she’s petite.

“Let me carry your books,” Kang Seungyoon a boy with kissable lips said as he scooped the books from her.

“I will carry your bag for you,” Song Mino said taking her bag as he stood next to her. It’s hard not to notice their group as they walk the school grounds. All 4 boys do part time modelling on their free time.

“Noona, did you finish your research paper? Let me know if you need help so I can study with you,” offered the fairest flower boy in the group, Kim Jin woo as he linked arms with her.

“I’m the one asking for help with doing the research, let me join,” chimed the playful Lee Seu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter