Back

Love Across Time

Chapter 8: Back

 
Ilhoon couldn't focus during his lessons at all. His teacher was talking about some laws there were used in finding out the pressure and volume of gas, but all he could hear was Hyunsik's last sentence to him - "Thanks. You should head to your lessons now.". That's all. His voice kept ringing in his head again and again for almost two hours, making him frustrated because he was trying hard to listen to his teacher.
 
"That guy is gone now. Forever gone. So why am I still thinking about him? Forget it, Ilhoon, forget it. He's not worth it for you to sacrifice your exam grades," Ilhoon thought as he started forcing himself to copy down what's on the board in his notebook. He needed something to distract him from his thoughts and Hyunsik's voice. But that doesn't help, because he felt sadness building up in him, despite his denial for his hidden feelings for Hyunsik. It's like his connection to Hyunsik was cut off. He couldn't feel his presence anymore and tears began to form uncontrollably. 
 
The biggest question he had right now, was that he don't know why he had feelings for Hyunsik as if they had been seeing each other for years. 
 
Was it really fate that brought them together, or was it purely coincidental that they met each other?
 
Ilhoon ran out of the classroom with his teacher yelling angrily for him to come back, leaving his classmates all in shock. Sungjae and Peniel wanted to chase after him to find out what exactly happened, but couldn't because their teacher was angry. Something is definitely wrong with Ilhoon, because this guy wasn't his usual self. Both of them decided to search for him after the lessons if he didn't come back.
 
Ilhoon kept running. He don't know where he would go, but he just wanted to leave the classroom. He couldn't hear his teacher yelling at him. All he could hear was Hyunsik's last sentence. His last time hearing his voice. 
 
----------
 
Hyunsik's POV
 
"I miss you too," Hyunsik mumbled. Shortly after that, he opened his eyes, blinking due to the bright light shining on him. After his eyes got used to the light, he realized he was standing in the middle of a field, with nothing but just tall grass surrounding him. 
 
"This wasn't the last place I was at before I went to the modern era... What happened?" Hyunsik thought. There's a lot of questions that Hyunsik had for this charm that have yet been answered. He doesn't understand why this charm could even send him to the modern era. And why this charm only worked when he's in danger. These thoughts only caused Hyunsik to have a headache right now; he decided to find his way back to the capital or maybe just a nearby inn so that he could have a rest. Somehow he felt that there's more to this charm. Maybe he could figure it out later.
 
According to a merchant he met on the way to capital, his destination would take his at least a day by foot. Which means, he had to go to a nearby small village for a night and continue his journey back. Hyunsik sighed and made his way to a village that the merchant had gave him directions to.
 
The village was quiet - in fact, awfully quiet. What made Hyunsik stopped in his tracks was the broken pieces of wood lying around, and what seemed like a row of shops that had been burnt down by a big fire. Why would the merchant recommend him to go to this village? Hyunsik could only conclude, that from the ruins, it had happened just a day before he came back to this era, and that maybe the merchant had already left this village. Hyunsik decided to further investigate on this.
 
This was strange - where's everyone? Surely there would be at least one or two people here right? Some parts of the village had been destroyed very badly, but the western side of the village wasn't. So where were the villagers? Hyunsik decided to walk further down to the western side of the village, hoping to find out what happened and also, a place for him to sleep for a night.
 
"Hello! Is there anyone here?" Hyunsik shouted towards the direction of a hut that looks pretty intact, untouched by the fire.
 
Next thing he knew after he shouted was spears and different kinds of farming tools with sharp edges pointing at him, some even near his neck. Hyunsik didn't know what to do, he was shocked by it. What exactly happened to the village that the villagers become so hostile to the extent that they wanted to inflict damage on strangers? Hyunsik then raised his both hands up, indicating that he was of no harm to anyone. His sudden action caused some villagers to flinch a little, but when they realized what he was doing, they lowered down their weapons, but still grabbing hold of it in case Hyunsik decided to do something funny.
 
"Who are you? What do you want?" An old man slowly limped towards Hyunsik, scrutinizing him. 
 
"I'm a scholar. I want to find a place to rest for a night," Hyunsik replied. He didn't tell them exactly what kind of scholar he was, because right now the kingdom was in chaos due to the corrupted officials' and the scholars' conflict. The act of destroying their village might be due to the conflict.
 
"What scholar? Which side are you at?" The old man asked, bringing up his right hand and then lowering it, signaling to his fellow villagers to put away their weapons.
 
"I help the disposed Queen," Hyunsik nervously said, because there's a chance for him to get killed right after he reply him. Hopefully he didn't answer this question wrongly.
 
"Yes, we support the Queen too. Welcome to our village. It must have shocked you when you first enter our village right? Those were done by the officials because they knew we were supporting the Queen. Lots of innocent villagers died as a result, but we still firmly support the Queen, believing that one day if she's back again she would make the kingdom prosperous and safe," the old man explained while leading Hyunsik to an empty hut, "you can stay here as long as you want to, young boy. But do help the Queen as much as you can, since now you know that innocent civilians had sacrificed themselves."
 
"I will," Hyunsik bowed deeply in respect to the old man, whom he believes was the village head based on the way he spoke. He heaved a sigh of relief. A very nerve-jerking moment where his life was at risk. Luckily the villagers supported the Queen.
 
The village head bowed back, smiled and left the hut, leaving Hyunsik alone. Hyunsik was always working at the capital, helping the other scholars to reinstate the Queen, so he didn't know how horrible their conflict was, which had caused the innocent to suffer. Behind that smile of the village head had hidden so much sadness and hatred to the officials. Why drag the innocent down when it's their conflict? It makes no sense. Shouldn't the civilians have the right to do anything they wanted to do since they weren't involved in the first place? Hyunsik became frustrated. That hatred for the corrupted officials was building up in him. He became very determined to help the Queen now. All these ended with a punch on the floor, where all the anger left him, what's left was just the determination to help the Queen.
 
----------
 
Ilhoon unknowingly reached the small garden where he first met Hyunsik. He slowed down his pace, the garden gave him peace, that kind of peace he would never have with his friends. Strangely, the formation of tears stopped. Ilhoon's sadness was slowly fading away. What happened? This garden seemed to have an effect on Ilhoon, no wonder he always go to this garden if he needed some time alone. 
 
He went to the same stone lamp he leaned his back against the first time he met Hyunsik and sat down. He didn't care about his image anymore, he wasn't in the mood to anyway. Ilhoon sighed and felt a slight breeze blowing on his face. How long had he feel this? Amongst all his school work and commitments, he hadn't had the time to really sit down and enjoy this peace the garden had to offer. 
 
"That weirdo... Will you be back again? No right... Why would you come back again anyway..." Ilhoon mumbled to himself. He grabbed a twig and started playing with it, his mind still occupied with thoughts about Hyunsik.
 
"Why wouldn't I be back?" A voice came from behind.
 
"Because you have no reasons to," Ilhoon answered unconsciously.
 
"Who said I have no reasons to come back here?" The voice replied back.
 
Ilhoon dropped his twig. Wait, who did the voice belonged to? It's impossible, for Hyunsik to come back right? Yes, impossible. He spunned around, hoping to see Sungjae or Peniel, but only to find that weirdo smiling at him. Ilhoon couldn't believe his eyes. Lots of unanswered questions started piling up in his mind as he stared blankly at Hyunsik.
 
"I am back now, isn't it?" said Hyunsik.
 
----------
 
Chapter 8 done! Yes yes definitely I would let both of them meet each other again right hahaha. It's a little short though, this chapter, but my purpose for writing this chapter is to write about how Ilhoon feels when Hyunsik left him. Hope you like this story and comment~ :) (Btw I said that I would be on hiatus but then I decided to write this because I was quite free somehow O.O)