Sleeping Like A Griffin

( ↷ camp olympus )

 

SLEEPING LIKE A GRIFFIN

 

 

“Dad, Scarlet’s mom called. She asked if we could come over for dinner,” I asked from the kitchen, my nose crinkling as I waited for my father’s reply. My father was working in his study, just across the room, as always. I admired that about my father. I held the phone near my ear, ready to reply when her my father shouted, “Sure! We’ll be there a little after seven. I have to send this to my boss or he’ll get mad. It’s past the deadline you know.” I heard my dad chuckle as I rolled my eyes, leaning on the wall, putting the phone on my ear.

“Yeah, auntie. We’ll be there, but around seven? My dad has a lot of things to do. Alright. You want me to teach Scarlet the violin? Are you sure? You know how she gets mad when she can’t master anything fast enough. Okay, okay, I’ll bring the violin. Bye, auntie!”

And with that, I put the phone back to its original place before going to the fridge and sticking my head in. I pouted when I saw that we were missing milk. I straightened up and closed the fridge, my nerves tingling. It meant I got to go out! One of my dreams. I took in a deep breath and turned around, smiling.

I walked to her dad’s study confidently, peeking in. My dad was surrounded by mountains of paperwork, him typing away on his computer, his glasses sliding down his nose before he pushed it up the bridge again. I bit my lip. This was a favour I wanted to ask ever since my dad banned me from going outside.

See, it isn’t that my dad is some psycho father who wants to keep his daughter safe and sound like Rapunzel and the witch. It’s just that he was a little overprotective, and it was getting tiring. I was diagnosed with ADHD, so it’s normal for me to crave doing things exciting and adventurous. Not wasting every day of my summer here in my house. I cleared my throat, my dad grunting in greeting.

“Yes, Caramel?”

I poked my fingers together, shuffling my feet nervously. “Uh, dad? Can I go to the grocery and buy some milk? We’re all out,” I told him, gulping after. His typing ceased and faced his swivelling chair to me. I smiled innocently. Please let him buy, please!

“You know how I feel about you going out, Caramel.”

“But dad! It’s just a few blocks away! I can make it. I promise I’ll come home after.” I nodded seriously, raising my right hand solemnly. He sighed as I waited for his reply, my palms sweating. If he agreed, this would be my first time in months going out by myself. Finally, he sighed and nodded.

“Okay, okay. Just come back in thirty minutes or I’m going to follow you, you understand?” My dad asked sternly as I jumped in glee. I was finally going out! I ran over to him, pecking him affectionately on the cheek.

“Oh thank you daddy! I’ll come back as soon as I can! Bye!”

I bounded out of his study, grabbing my jacket quickly from the rack and running outside my house, onto the lawn. It was like I was Rapunzel. I turned around in a full circle, taking in the heat of the sun and the sounds of the outside world. I smiled brightly.

“Today, I’m going to explore! Well, even if my destination is just a grocery place.” I shrugged and trudged to the sidewalk, shoving my hands in my coat pockets and walking in a steady beat. Though I loved the outside world, I must admit, it is warm. Warm enough not to wear the coat. But I know my dad would want me to wear it. It was my mom’s.

My mom.

I squinted my eyes at the grocery name right before me, my thoughts wandering again. I didn’t know who my mom was. My dad never had pictures of her, and just told me he met her at a concert. That’s it. No big love story like Romeo and Juliet or sinking ships in the Pacific like Jack and Rose. Just one concert of my dad’s favourite band.

The bells chimed as I opened the door to the small grocery store. I smiled shyly and bowed to the old lady who was working the counter. Thankfully, a few people were here. Everyone was probably sleeping in on Sundays. I hummed as I went to the dairy section, opening the transparent refrigerator and taking out a carton of milk before closing it again.

“You might want to get the colour red one.”

“AH!” I turned around to come face to face with one of my few friends, Lee Jeongmin. I glared at him playfully, knocking his forehead with the milk carton.

“Yah! Don’t scare me like that!” I scolded as Jeongmin laughed, rubbing the spot where I hit him. He ruffled my hair up as I grinned happily. I haven’t seen him in days.

“Well you look so scare-able!”

“Don’t say that, it isn’t a word. People will think you’re weird. So where have you been? I’ve been trying to reach you through your phone but you won’t pick up,” I explained, pouting as he patted my head.

“Aww, did my girlfriend miss me?”

“No, my dog missed you.”

“You don’t have a dog.”

“Exactly.” I rolled my eyes as Jeongmin pouted. I poked his pout, narrowing my eyes.

“Why are you here anyway?” I asked him lightly, glancing at him sideways as I strode over to the sweets section, finding for some chocolate I could munch on later at home. Jeongmin’s expression turned serious.

“I wanted to speak to you. I know you might call me weird and crazy-“

“Which you are most of the time.”

“But I’m serious. You are not a normal human being. You’re a demigod, Caramel.”

As soon as the words left his mouth, I dropped the Twix bar I was studying, my eyes widening in the distance. In my mind, I saw a girl. A girl who had a long gown that had a plunging neckline, but it looked absolutely amazing on her. She was surrounded by plants and animals, a harp by her side as she effortlessly strummed it, creating sounds that came from the heavens. It created-

“Harmony,” I whispered, both surprised and shocked.

“Oh, I shouldn’t have told her if I were you, sonny,” I heard the ahjumma voice from far away. I turned around quickly, Jeongmin too, looking at the old lady who was cleaning the counter. She chuckled and raised her eyes.

This time, they were bright red.

“You demigods never learn, do you?” She hissed, baring her teeth. My eyes bulged even wider when she looked up and opened wider, her body slowly dissolving and a griffin materializing in no time.

“What in Jupiter’s name-“

“It’s Zeus! And duck!” Jeongmin tackled me to the ground just as the griffin screeched, letting out a ball of fire from it’s mouth. If my eyes weren’t already big, it already grew bigger. I stood up in a half-crouch, Jeongmin too. But this time, he wasn’t unarmed. He held two daggers that looked even more dangerous in his hands.

“Whoa! Where did you get those knives?!”

“These are daggers, lady. And the kitchen department ran out of it so I had to go back to camp to get some. Come on! Before the griffin terrorizes the people!” Jeongmin shouted as the griffin gave a might roar, making a hole at the entrance, breaking into the streets. I stood stock still. At the back of my head, someone was shouting for me to move, but my rational mind disagreed.

“J-Jeongmin, I think we should let the cops take over,” I whimpered, feeling helpless and small. I hated the feeling, but I went here to buy milk, not to fight a griffin. Jeongmin looked at me as if I was the crazy one.

“Are you mad?! That griffin won’t stop till everything and everyone in his path is trampled! It cannot be killed with guns, Caramel! Only with Celestial Bronze and probably some other magical metals! If you won’t come, fine. Just know, whoever Greek mother you have, she is not happy seeing you sitting out on a fight.” With those hurtful words stinging in Caramel’s heart, Jeongmin ran towards the debris, jumping over the rocks and shouting profanities at the griffin which was already a while away.

I tried to think. Why couldn’t I fight? Why couldn’t Ithink straight?

And of course, a god answered my prayers.

“You know, Jeongmin is right. Though he is the son of that blasted Aphrodite, he ran to fight, such trait only found in few brave Aphrodite children.”

I whirled around to find the voice. And indeed, there was someone there. He was dressed in summer clothes. Bermuda shorts, a buttoned up Hawaiian patterned shirt and slippers. He had a slightly tanned skin and a handsome face with matching sandy blonde hair. He was leaning on the refrigerator of milk.

I never saw anyone weirder than Jeongmin, till now.

“W-What?”

“And, he’s also right about your mother. She wouldn’t want you to sit there and let an Aphrodite child take the honour,” he commented, shrugging and studying his nails. Caramel pointed her carton of milk towards him.

“Look here, summer boy – man – whatever! I came here to buy a carton milk , and I will leave with a carton of milk in my hand and not look back!” I shouted bravely. I felt brave and courageous at that moment when the summer man laughed.

“Was that a threat? Or a statement? Child of Harmonia, I know you’re all into harmony and stuff, but the only way to restore peace is if you are there. Your mere presence can calm everyone down. And if you can use your voice right, then better.” The summer man shrugged as I tilted my head in confusion.

“Is this some kind of sick joke?!” I screamed, nearly losing my sanity. The summer man looked down and blinked before looking back up. I had to take a step back. He had golden eyes.

“Choi Caramel, daughter of Harmonia, do I look like I’m in a joking mood?” The summer man asked seriously in a deeper voice, an older voice. I shook my head quickly. He reminded me of my principal in school. Serious and scary.

“T-Tell me what to do,” I said in a small voice. The summer man nodded and blinked.

“Hold out your hand and think of your violin,” he instructed as I nodded. I dropped the carton of milk and closed my eyes, holding out my hand in front of me.

“Imagine yourself holding it right now.”

I thought hard on how the violin’s neck felt against my hands, the base situated under my chin. I thought of the sturdy bow that could make wondrous sounds.

“Open your eyes.”

I opened them and gasped. In my hand, I was clutching my brown and worn violin as my other hand clutched the bow. I was too stunned to even form a sentence.

“H-How-“

“The violin is blessed by Harmonia, a gift from her mother Aphrodite and Ares. Any child of Harmonia can use this ancient violin. It is yours for she thinks you can master it, something I doubt greatly. Prove to your mother that you are worthy of this violin. And if you are, you may claim it as yours. Goodbye, Caramel. I wish you the best of luck.” The summer man started to simmer into dust, and I found my words.

“Wait! Who are you?”

Just before he disappeared, he chuckled and said, “Let’s just say, I am drawn towards people just before a war.”

And with that, the summer man was gone.

I sighed and looked at my violin.

“I don’t know how is this going to defeat any creature, but might as well try. Oh, I have to pay for the milk!” I quickly picked up the carton of milk and headed straight to the counter.

***

“LOOK AT ME YOU UGLY BEAST! STOP EATING!” Jeongmin shouted as he tried to grab the attention of the creature that was roaring and tearing down the streets in the park, people screaming.

“I’m here! I’m here, I’m here, I’m here’,” I chanted loudly to catch Jeongmin’s attention. It worked, since he turned around and saw me running towards him with my violin and bow in one hand, and a carton of milk in the other. Jeongmin raised his eyebrows in shock.

“After everything that is happening, YOU STILL BOUGHT THAT CARTON OF MILK?!”

“Shush and stop yapping about my milk! We need to kill that thing!” I put the milk down and showed him my violin with a crazy grin on my face. Jeongmin threw his hands up in exasperation, which is dangerous since he had his two daggers in his hands.

“And what are you supposed to do with that, play a lullaby?”

“Yes, how’d you know?” I asked him quizzically as his eyes bulged. “Do you see that thing?!” Jeongmin pointed at the creature with is dagger as I nodded.

“I have eyes, so yeah.”

“And my dear friend, you also have a soul that I would still like to be kept in your body and not in the Underworld! You cannot just lull a creature like that! We need strategies, we need a battle plan, we need-“

“You to shut up. Go and take those kids to safety. They’re frozen. I’ll deal with the griffin.” For once, I sounded even braver than back at the grocery shop. Jeongmin was about to protest when I pointed at him with my violin bow.

“Now.”

“Fine, but this is on your head!” And with that, Jeongmin bounded over to the kids, hiding his daggers in his belt. I took a shaky breathe and walked calmly up to the creature that was trashing around, tearing trees apart, digging huge holes on the ground and wrecking the park. I placed the violin on my shoulder, shakily raising my bow. I remember a lullaby that my dad used to sing to me when I was younger, and thank goodness I still remembered the tune. But I never played it in my violin.

Well, it’s worth a shot.

I closed my eyes and remembered how at night time, my dad would tuck me in and sing to me. I remembered the words, the soft tone of his voice and translated it into violin language. The notes came soft and unsure, but as I progressed, the sounds became softer but stronger, flowing straight to the griffin. The creature ceased destroying, stumbling around before it fell to its knees, shutting its eyes and breathing heavily.

 I exhaled and stopped playing, staring at the griffin that was sleeping at my feet.

“Well, Camp Olympus needs someone who can make them sleep at night. Because things are not pretty right now.” I turned around to see Jeongmin’s grin on his face as I returned it.

It was an exciting and adventurous day after all.

“Okay, let’s go and explain to your dad how you need to get to Camp Olympus pronto.”


 

author's note 

I'm sorry that it took so long! Here's your teaser, Elleon_Luna! ^^

Click this link if you haven't yet! >> CLICKEU