That Aphrodite Kid

( ↷ camp olympus )

 

 

that aphrodite kid

 

“Happy Birthday Chaehwa! Happy Birthday Chaehwa! Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday Chaehwa!” almost everyone in the large sang, clapping along the beat. I tried not to roll my eyes, and instead, I plastered on a fake smile as they finished their little song.

 

 

Honestly, I was getting bored of them.

 

Who would want to sit in a room, filled with strangers you don’t even know, singing ‘Happy Birthday’ to you?
 

I get that I’m already finally turning fifteen, and my birthday should be a grand one, but come on, I think I can do better than this.

 

Someone handed me a microphone as I took it willingly, giving the crowd my megawatt smile.

 

“Thank you for coming to my amazing birthday! Enjoy, have fun, and have a good night!” the crowd cheered as I winked at them. The music started almost immediately as I handed the microphone to whoever, stepping down the stage on my stilettos.

 

Of course, I was best dressed tonight. I had a black mini dress on that exposed most of my back. My fur coat clung on me as I clutched my Chanel purse tightly on one hand. I strutted through the dance floor, not even trying to weave through the people.

 

When they saw me, they parted immediately, wishing a happy birthday to me. I didn’t show any emotion as I continued walking with a controlled expression on.

 

“Happy Birthday Chaehwa! Thank you so much for inviting me! You don’t know how much it means to-“ She was silenced when I looked at her up and down. I made a disbelieving sound as I leaned on my left, putting one hand on my lip.

 

The girl was wearing the exact same thing as me, from the style of my hair to my stilettos. I curled my lip as she gulped, backing away.

 

“Honey, I suggest you turn around and strip away those clothes, because you’re not even worthy of wearing them. Move away, get out, and never try to copy me again, capish?” I told her, putting a little bit of sweetness more than bitterness in my tone.

 

What caught me by surprise was that she didn’t bow and apologize. Instead, she stared at me with slight interest, as if I did something amusing.

 

I showed a bit of curiosity, but returned back to my calm expression. I shouldn’t let my guard down to this wannaME.

 

“Didn’t you hear what I say? I told you-“

 

“Oh I heard you, Jung Chaehwa. You’ll be in for a nasty surprise later tonight.” Ms. Creepy smiled in a satisfying way before losing herself in the music. I blinked in shock at that girl.

 

Never once was I spoken back to! How dare she speak back to me?! With those clothes of hers!

 

“Ugh, people these days. They never know who to respect,” I grumbled, a couple of boys trying to comfort me. I flirted with them, but continued with my agenda for today. I didn’t like to have my party here.

 

There were too many self-centered, arrogant and vain people.

 

Which included my gorgeous self of course.

 

“Mr. Kim,” I called out lazily as I pushed the door out of my way. Mr. Kim, my chauffeur, bowed to me in greeting as I went straight into the car. Mr. Kim climbed in the driver’s seat and started the engine, starting to drive.

 

I took out a mirror and studied myself.

 

Sharp jaw line, angular nose, high but slightly full cheek bones, luscious red lips, striking, deep black as night eyes and wavy hair was my outwardly appearance. I’m very happy with the structure of my face, of course. It’s all natural, just a little bit of blush on and eyeliner here and there.

 

I didn’t like putting globs of makeup on my face. I’m already pretty.

 

I glanced randomly at my gold bracelet my dad gave me on my last birthday. For once, he gave me something I could appreciate.

 

We were wealthy, my father a fashion designer and all. As for my mom? Don’t know, and don’t care.

 

All my father got me over the years were all expensive, but I knew he just bought me stuff to make me happy. I’m quite demanding, and I expect nothing but the best.

 

I guess this is why I have little to no friends.

 

“Ms. Jung, I’m sorry to inform you, but Ms. Park will not be coming over,” Mr. Kim stated sadly as I stopped what I was doing for second.

 

What?! Why?!” I demanded, gripping on the leather beneath my fingers. This was bad news.

 

Sandara Park, or more commonly known as Dara, was my only friend. She’s the complete opposite of me, but I love her all the same. She was the one who was there when my father was too busy. She was there when no one understood me.

 

“Family matters.” And that was the end of it. I huffed and leaned back harshly, blowing the loose hair that was in my face.

 

This was ridiculous. I’m Jung Chaehwa. I always get what I want.

 

“Call her and order her to come to my house now!” I ordered, Mr. Kim fumbling for his phone. He immediately started calling Dara, but to no avail.

 

“I’m sorry Ms. Jung, but she couldn’t be reached,” Mr. Kim apologized, inclining his head forward. I growled and slammed my hands down on the chair.

 

“Speed up. I want to go home,” I mumbled, but Mr. Kim heard me. He started to speed up a little, and by no time, I was already in front of my large apartment. I got out without a word, stomping after Mr. Kim who rushed to unlock and open the door for me.

 

I sauntered past him, going immediately to the kitchen.

 

“Happy Birthday Chaehwa!” Dara greeted, smiling genuinely at me as a cake with three lit candles were on the countertop. I blinked in shock but enveloped in her in a hug.

 

“Oh my gosh Dara, when did you come?! Mr. Kim said-!”

 

“One point for me! I pranked you dear.” Dara stuck out her tongue in a playful way as I ran a hand through my bangs in exasperation and happiness.

 

“You liar. Let’s dig in, okay?” I gave her my first real smile tonight as Dara nodded excitedly, clapping her hands. I blew the candles, not even bothering to wish. I had everything I wanted. What more could I ask?

 

Well, more Louis Vuitton bags, but I’ll just request a personalized one tomorrow.

 

We both sat around the dining table, joking and talking about random things.

 

“So, when’s your dad coming home? I mean, it’s your birthday after all.” Dara asked casually, shoving a spoonful full of ice cream cake in while looking at me curiously.

 

I picked on my food, my stomach doing flip flops.

 

“He-He told me he’ll come late…I don’t know if he will though.” I bit my lip to stop myself to say more. I know I can trust Dara, but I just can’t stomach the fact that my dad wouldn’t be here beside me on my fifteenth birthday.

 

Instead, he’s in America, attending another fashion show.

 

“He’ll come Chae, I know he will,” Dara tried to comfort as I plastered a fake smile. We talked for awhile more until it already reached ten o’clock in the evening.

 

I walked Dara to the front door, her waving in goodbye. I smiled at her retreating figure before I closed the door. I yawned and stretched, reading to go under the covers and watch re-runs of Running Man.

 

I was on the first step of the stairs when I heard a knock. I sighed an rolled my eyes.

 

It was probably one of those salesladies who can’t act charming for their life.

 

Trust me, when I’m the saleslady, anything I sponsor will be sold out faster than a boy confessing to me every five minutes.

 

I walked to the door and opened it, surprised who was at the door. It was Ms. Creepy.

 

She still had the nerve to wear that dress on, and she was smiling in a creepy way.

 

“Ugh, so the copycat has come for more?” I asked in a bored tone, folding my arms over my chest. She just continued smiling in that creepy way of hers.

 

Jung Chaehwa!” She…barked.

 

I couldn’t explain how a human can bark, but her voice sounded like that. I stepped back, a bit in fear.


”The hell? You can’t go a day without saying my name twice in a row?” I snapped, glaring at her.

 

“Your charmspeak won’t work on me, child of Aphrodite. What a wonderful snack I’ll have.” Ms. Creepy stepped into the house, closing the door gently. I froze.

 

She told me that my supposedly ‘charmspeak’ won’t work on her and that I’m a child of Aphrodite.

 

Okay, she’s a definite member of the Crazy Club. And by the look on her face, she’s president.

 

“I’m the child of Jung Daehwan! Fashion designer! Okay, I don’t what the heck are you doing-“

 

“Aww, poor child. You don’t even know what’s happening, right? Soon, Camp Olympus will surrender to Gaea. We will rule the earth! And you’re not getting away with it!” She started to change shape. Her black dress ripping and her stilettos breaking. My eyes bulged as I shook in fear.

 

She was changing into a very large dog, and I’m not sticking around to see if she wanted to play fetch.

 

I bounded upstairs without a backward glance, the thud of my footsteps blocked out by her paws loud steps.

 

I dashed towards my room and closed the door firmly, going to my bed and standing on top of it. I was on the verge of tears.

 

Why the heck is a large dog attacking me?! And what the hell is this Gaea thing?!

 

The door started thudding as the dog started to break in.

 

“Don’t come near me you mutt!” I shouted, trying to pour all of my anger into my voice. She told me indirectly that I can charmspeak, so I hoped it worked on animals.

 

There was silence, and I was already to accept that it was just a dream, when the door broke into half, flying somewhere to my right. The dog was two feet in front of me, growling as it bared out its large teeth.

 

It snapped and growled as it paced back and forth, probably contemplating how it could kill me. It then went to my closet of clothes.

 

“No! Not my Elle dresses!” I cried out in frustration as it ripped every clothing I had on there. It then went to my most prized collection.

 

My collection of nailpolish. I had about fifty shades of every color, and I have collected that for three years. I gulped as it knocked down the stand, nailpolish tainting my carpeted floor. I shivered in fear and anger as I watched it.

 

It went slowly over my picture of me and my dad when we were on the beach. I was ten then, carefree and with a caring and understanding father.

 

It looked at me once as I mouthed ‘no’

 

It seemed to grin as it reached over with its paw, clawing the picture frame as the glass broke. It tore the picture into shreds easily.

 

That was it.

 

No one messes with me and my father and gets away with it!

 

“YAH! That was the only picture I had that showed I was truly happy! You tore my clothing, you broke my collection, and you’re going to die! YOU’RE GOING TO JUMP OUT OF THIS APARTMENT WITHOUT COMPLAINING, YOU RUTHLESS MONSTER!” I screamed, my throat soar. It looked at me once in alarm as it dashed out of my room. After a few seconds, a howl was heard as black figure flew downward outside of my window.

 

I cam over my shock and stuck my head out the window, seeing the large dog fall and explode into gold dust in the pavement.

 

“Chaehwa?!” a familiar voice demanded as I scanned the area. There, was my father looking distressed and shocked.

 

“Oh dear,” I mumbled, knowing I was in big trouble.

 

            ~.~

 

“All your suitcases are already in the van. I contacted Chiron, and he’s outside right now. You’ll be sent to Camp Olympus safe and sound, that I can promise you,” Daehwan said in a rushed and business-like tone. I just blew the bangs off my face, huffing.

 

“Yeah. And I guess you’re not explaining how I almost got killed, right?” I asked him in a dull tone, which was new for me. I was usually using my charming tone, but today, I seemed to lose it.

 

Daehwan sighed and clapped my shoulder.

 

“I’m sorry Chaehwa, I just can’t. It’s for your safety. Chiron will explain everything to you, alright?” Daehwan asked worriedly as I nodded, just to please him. I turned around, strutting out of the house confidently, without looking back. I clambered in the van, slamming the door immediately so I won’t see my father.

 

It made me so angry that I can’t even look at him without glaring.

 

He never told me about any of this. He never told me that I attracted monsters.

 

It beat my record of the rare times my father had said things to me. The first before was him saying ‘I love you’ to me.

 

The driver – Byron, or something like that – started driving away as I propped up my legs, studying my nails.

 

“What time are we getting to Camp Fishnuts?”
 

“In three hours Chaehwa, but it’s called Camp Olympus. You’ll understand why that monster attacked you. Hopefully, all your questions will be answered there,” China-face told me in a wise tone, glancing over his shoulder and smiling at me.

 

“I have one question,”

 

“What is it, my dear?” His caring tone almost put me on the edge. Only rarely my father uses that tone with me, full of concern and worry. Tears pricked my eyes as I fought to stay calm.

 

“Why is daddy sending me away?”

 

And that was it. That was what broke my confidence, even if it’s just for a few minutes. I started sobbing, hugging myself protectively. I cried even harder, wishing none of these happened.

 

“Soon child, you’ll get your answers. Soon,” Chiron promised, his caring tone turning into a sad one as he heard my cries. 

 


 

author's note 

So, first teaser for Jung Chaehwa! I hoped you guys liked it :)

Click this link if you haven't yet! >> CLICKEU