9 days to go!

Countdown to Valentine's Day

Dong Hae's anxiousness grew at each passing minute. He knew he was running late, and even though the reported weather was a negative six degrees, beads of sweat ran along his face. The growing crowd wasn't helpful either. Dong Hae noted the fact that he was in the wrong place in the wrong time. Valentines was just around the corner, and when I say just around the corner, I mean nine days to go. He took no time to wipe his sweat and just ran towards one of the shops he meant to go to. He sighed a sigh of relief before grabbing his black and white, checkered handkerchief. He eagerly wiped his face before proceeding to the counter.

 

"Good morning, ma'am. I would just like to inquire for a bouquet?" he greeted politely with a charming smile and the woman gladly took a clipboard, placing it on the table and a pen for him to use in signing.

 

"Please just sign there for the details," the woman says and Dong Hae obliges and hands the clipboard back once he was done.

 

"Alright, just wait a moment, sir," she smiles sweetly. Dong Hae wonders what was taking her so long inside. He was getting impatient and checked his watch repeatedly for the time. He was going to be late and yet the woman still hasn't returned.

 

"Alright, here is the bouquet you ordered," she says handing the bouquet over. That will be 20,000 won."

 

Dong Hae's eyes widen, "Ma'am, I requested for the flowers to be delivered over by February 14. It's too early, isn't it going to wither?"

 

The woman smiles apologetically, her wrinkles showing, "Sorry, sir, the store will be temporary closed until the 20th. We have no choice but to give the flowers to you today. If you don't want, is it alright if you look for another store?"

 

Dong Hae knew he had no choice, he had no idea on how to take care of flowers, so he decided to let go of the one he just ordered and decided to go back to work immediately before his boss could complain.

 

The drive back to work was tiring due to heavy traffic. He immediately thought of leaving his car behind, but he knew better than to waste his million dollar car in the middle of the highway. He checked his phone to check with his boss, but his phone battery was dead and he left his wire to try to charge it. He cursed under his breath and just focused his eyes on the road.

 

He looks at his car radio and thought of playing a song to at least occupy him on the ride, and so he did. An hour later, he finally got to work and pretty much received a scolding.

 

"I'm so sorry, sir. My car got stuck in a traffic jam," he apologized repeatedly, but Mr. Hwang, his boss didn't take any of his excuses reasonable.

 

He spent more time than he could imagine just working to please his boss the following day. He never noticed how only two to three were left inside the office when he shut his computer down and checked the time. It was almost midnight and he could only curse under his breath again. He knew he wasn't going to wake up early the next day and this meant another tardy for him.

 

His assistant entered the room, "Sir, are you all done?" and Dong Hae nods. His assistant seems to be the only one who can calm him down in such situations. He's developed a good relationship with her.

 

"Please just ask the janitor to clean this mess. I just-I'm too stressed to even fix the scattered paperwork," Dong Hae requests and his assistant nods as if to say, 'Sure sir.'

 

Dong Hae quickly drives out of the office through his car. His car was extremely expensive, but he never really bought it. It was a gift given to him by his boss. Mr. Hwang had always been the best to treat Dong Hae and he treated Dong Hae like his son. Mr. Hwang was extremely rich and single even at his old age, so he found Dong Hae as his child and treated him like his own, gave him a great job, a great car and a great house.

 

But, Dong Hae starts to hate his car now that the car stopped in the middle of the road. He tries to twist the keys of his car, but it just won't budge. He checks his gas tank and surprise! E! He ran out of gas without noticing.

 

"What the he-!" he screams before grabbing his phone and speed dialed his assistant, "Bae Joo Hyun! Please check my car out! It ran out of gas in the middle of the road! I'm going to take the taxi home, just-just do something about my car!"

 

"Just text me your exact location and I'll do the rest, boss," she says and Dong Hae agrees before dropping the call.

 

Dong Hae gets out of his car before kicking its tire. Great thing he wasn't stuck in the highway or he would have been caught by the patrol. He texted his exact location to his assistant before running out to hail a cab. A cab arrived immediately before him and he entered.

 

"Where are you headed, sir?" the taxi driver asks.

 

He reads the driver's nametag, Kim Junmyeon before telling him an address. He wasn't too sure of what address he gave, he was just sure he gave one. He grabs his phone after it lights up to reveal a text message sent by none other than his assistant.

 

'Your car has been towed and will be taken care of, sir! Nothing to worry!' it says and Dong Hae smiles. Oh, Joo Hyun, what am I going to do without you.

 

The taxi stopped at a certain point and Dong Hae pays the amount he needed to pay. The taxi driver thanks him with a pretty charming smile before Dong Hae says, "You could be a model you know? You're pretty goodlooking."

 

The driver thanks him before Dong Hae steps out of the cab and it dashes away, slowly becoming a dot and into nothing in Dong Hae's view. He suddenly notices how his environment feels different, how everything feels different. He turns his head and his jaws drop to the ground at what he sees.