Chapter 4

Book 1 Rose

Jang Mi went back from her hometown where she spent her school break. Hyun Seung did not allow her to go with him and his friends to Ulsan. But he had the guts to ask her to run some errands for him since he could not go back to his hometown due to work. He found a good paying job in Seoul right after his graduation.

 

Jang Mi stood at the door of a two-story house. Wow, is he really this rich to rent a big apartment?, she thought. She rang the door bell of the house. A voice she could not recognize answered and after a few minutes, she was greeted by a man in black A-shirt and a loose gray sweatpants. He was looking down at her, his hair was still wet and messy, perhaps he just finished his shower. 

Gi Kwang...The first and last time she met him was about 2 months ago, before the school break. She wanted to say "Hi", but words would not come out from . She was just staring at him. "Why did I forget that they shared the same apartment?", she scolded herself mentally. She suddenly went cold, she was not sure if it was because of the night breeze or the man in front of him.

Gi Kwang knew who she was, of course, but he pretended otherwise. He placed his right hand at the door frame, slightly bent down and put his face inches away from her and turned his head sideways as if he was trying to recall something. "Have we met before?", he said while eyeing her.

 

Jang Mi's face turned really hot while his hands and feet turned very cold when he put his face so close to hers he could almost feel his breath. She stepped back before she answered, "A...I'm looking for Jang Hyun Seung." Gi Kwang stepped back as well as he clapped his hands and said "Ah, Jang Mi, right?" Jang Mi answered hurriedly, "Ne".

 

"Don't tell me you forgot about me?", he said while pouting. He looked really cute doing that. He looked like a 5 year old kid.

 

"A-anieyeo. I just forgot you live in the same apartment."

 

"I see, I'd be really sad if you forgot about me. Come in, come in. It's cold outside.", he said as he held her by the arm and led her inside the house. 

 

"Sorry for troubling you at this hour, Gi Kwang-sshi. You probably are about to sleep. I just have something to give Oppa, some important papers he asked me to get from their house", she said as she sat on the couch.

 

"Mwo?", asked Gi Kwang. His tone increased a little. Jang Mi suddenly got scared because of the sudden change in his tone, he must probably be really tired. "Uhm, I.. I was supposed to give him some impor...", she said while stuttering.

 

Gi Kwang cut her off, "Anie, anie! I meant, what did you call me?"

 

"Ne?", she did not understand.

 

"How should you call me again? I thought I told you before.", he explained. Jang Mi just stared at him. She did not know how to respond. "Oppa reul. OPPA. I told you before to call me OPPA.", he said in a very serious manner.

 

Jang Mi burst out laughing. His serious face when he said that was beyond funny. It was as if he was giving business tips.

 

"Arasseo, Oppa", she said while smiling. Gi Kwang also gave her a smile. "Hyung is not here. He's still at work. If you want you can leave the papers here and I'll give it to him. It's getting late, he will worry if he catches you here.", he said.

 

"Okay. I'll leave now. Kamsahamnida. OPPA.", she emphasized the last word. Gi Kwang gave out a chidlish laugh upon hearing it.

 

Gi Kwang followed her outside until they reached the main road where she can take a cab. She was about to say goodbye when Gi Kwang said "You know...you know..." She cut him off by saying "Mollayeo." which earned her a hearty laugh from the man. 

 

He scratched his head then he told her, "There's a tea house a few blocks away from here. They really serve delicious ricecakes. You may want to try...", she did not let him finish the sentence. She quickly told him "I'd love to." Gi Kwang smiled from ear to ear as they started their way to the tea house.

 

Jang Mi realized that Gi Kwang was not like other good-looking men who are so full of themselves. In fact, he was really down to earth, cheerful, funny and easy to get along with. She found herself enjoying his company. Probably, this is one of the reasons why Hyun Seung became friends with him. He is beyond nice. They talked about where Gi Kwang was studying, where she was studying, what course they are currently taking up, their favorite food, book and movies. It was almost near midnight when they realized the time. 

 

Gi Kwang did not allow her to go home by herself. He said something about Hyun Seung going to be mad at him if he'd allow her to go home alone at that hour. They continued talking about anything while they were on the cab. Surprisingly, they never ran out of topic. And he never failed to make her laugh. By the time the cab stopped in front of her apartment building, they were already comfortable with each other.

 

"This is my house. Thanks a lot, Oppa for bringing me home. And the rice cakes are indeed delicious.", she said while the cab was waiting for Gi Kwang. Gi Kwang scratched his head again out of habit, "I can bring you there again, if you want. Anytime. Just call me.", then he asked for her number which she happily gave.

 

Gi Kwang waved at him and shouted "Jal ja!" before he got on the cab. She waved back until the cab was nowhere in sight. Then she smiled as she bit her lower lip, her heart was pounding so fast.