Chapter 2

Book 1 Rose

 

Hyun Seung was left waiting at the entrance of the university. He was leaning on the wall as he watched students walked past him, scanning the area for any sign of Jang Mi. As almost a habit, he glanced at his watch as he was trying not to show any hint of annoyance. He never liked waiting, but for his troublesome friend who was always there for him, he could probably forget about it just this once. Heat and boredom do not go well together, too bad it has started to crawl into his system. Just as he was about to let out a sigh, he heard a voice. 

"Hi~yeom!" He need not look for he already knew who it was. 

 

"Where are the others? And what are you doing here outside the university?", asked Gi Kwang. 

Although Gi Kwang wrinkled his eyebrows and he pouted his lips, he still looked adorable. Hyun Seung shook his head. He sighed first before he gave Gi Kwang his answer. 

 

"I am waiting for someone. A friend." He immediately added as he saw the change in Gi Kwang's expression at the mention of the word "someone". "What about you? What the hell are you doing here? I thought we will pick you up in Gangnam.", said Hyun Seung. 

Gi Kwang pouted his lips again, "My cousin asked me to show her around. She might probably enroll for a Masters Degree here in this university."

Hyun Seung, Jun Hyung and Doojoon just graduated from college. Before they start with their working life, they decided to treat their dongsaengs (Yoseob, Gi Kwang and Dongwoon) for an out of town bonding. They were about to go to Ulsan. 

The two walked to the nearby benches as they talked about the place they were about to visit. 

While Hyun Seung was talking, Gi Kwang noticed a girl in a floral dress, her hair tied-up in a neat ponytail with a lunchbox on her hands, walking slowly towards them. Whatever Hyun Seung said, he could never remember as his thoughts drifted to some place definitely miles away from Hyun Seung. He watched as the girl's lips curved into a silly smile. He saw her placed the lunch box near the nearby bench as she warily crept at Hyun Seung's back. She put her hands on Hyun Seung's eyes.

"What the hell? What was so important that you have to ask me to wait for you for several minutes?", Hyun Seung nonchalantly said.

 

Jang Mi's hands still covering Hyun Seung's eyes. Her hands slowly slide down to her side as she pouted her lips. "Hmmp! The last time I checked, if a person covers someone's eyes, you should guess the person's name first before talking to her", Jang Mi said.

"Aissh. So childish.", Hyun Seung answered back. Gi Kwang was amazed at how fast her expression changed from mild annoyance to sheer excitement. 

 

"I heard you're going for a long trip so I brought you these bokkeumbap. Being a lazy you are, you will most probably skip breakfast. Either because you're too lazy to prepare one or you woke up really late. So I prepare this! You can share it with your friends. Remember when we were young, we would always ask Eomma to cook bokkeumbap for us before we head to the river?"   Hyun Seung just stared at her then he smirked, "Komawo. By the way, this is Gi Kwang. Gi Kwang, this is my "sister". Sorry you have to experience her terrible cooking." 

"Excuse me, I perfected preparing all the bap dishes you know- bibimbap, kimbap, bokkeumbap. Next time, I won't be making bokkeumbap for free ", she quickly retorted. Then she turned to Gi Kwang, a smile evident on her face, "Annyeonghaseyeo. I'm Jang Mi. Hyun Seung and I grew up together when we were young. I do not have any sibling so I considered him my Oppa. He was so shy so he did not have a lot of friends. To be honest, I was the only one courageous enough to make friends with him. He's a pain the ."

Gi Kwang laughed at what she said. Then he put on a smile who could melt any woman's heart. If Jang Mi was stunned, she did not show any sign. She just looked at Gi Kwang as he introduced himself.

"I'm Gi Kwang. I met Hyun Seung when we were still studying in college, we shared a room in a house we rented back then. Although until now, we still live in the same apartment so I pretty much know him really well."

For some reason, Hyun Seung did not like the idea of him at the middle of two people eyeing each other closely. He was about to puke but decided not to by snapping both from their reverie.

"Ya! The other guys are waiting. Come on! You! I could not take you home so be careful. I will send you a message once we arrive at the place. Tsk. I bet you'll die from envy once you see the place we're going." He smirked.

"Arasseo! How could you be so mean. Well then, I'll go now. You have fun", she said to Hyun Seung. Then she turned to Gi Kwang, she put on her best smile again. For some reason, the man emits the power to make the other people smile by not doing anything.

"You have fun, too. It was really nice meeting you, Gi Kwang-sshi."

Gi Kwang smiled again, his eyes smiling as well. Jang Mi hoped Gi Kwang could not see her inner side because right at that moment, her insides were swirling and dancing. He was so beautiful.

"I prefer you call me Oppa", he shyly said then he let out a childish laugh after that. He looked at her again, "It was really nice meeting you, too."

If they could only see Hyun Seung at that very moment, then they would probably have an idea of how he looked like when he is disgusted. His left cheek twitches a bit, his face looked like he was experiencing stomach distress while eating a mouthful of wasabi. If Hyun Seung has a toy hammer with him, he would toy hammer the two babos in front of him.

But he was nice enough to just say, "Let's go."

************************************************************************************

 

They arrived at the place where their van was parked, a bunch of weirdos screaming at them about how late they were.   "O jinja! We waited for you guys for like forever", said the #1 babo Yoseob.   "Ah mianhe, mianhe.", said Gi Kwang as they get on the van.   Hyun Seung seated just right beside Gi Kwang. As the van started its way to Ulsan, he looked at the gray sky outside the car window. He was awaken by the poke on his shoulder. Gi Kwang was looking at him with a smile, Hyun Seung thought it was almost similar to that of Joker's, except that it was not creepy but rather annoying.   "Soo~~~ This...uhmm. Jang Mi. Jang Mi, right? Do you guys have a thing for each other?"

Hyun Seung turned his head to the car window again, almost ignoring Gi Kwang's inquiry.

"Jang Mi is a person I really treasure. She was right when she said she was the only person kind enough to make friends with a-pain-in-the- me. If you want to know if we went out when we were younger, then NO. Nothing like that."

He turned to Gi Kwang to see his reaction. He was just nodding as if he got the right answer to a math problem. He seemed satisfied with his answer that he did not bother asking again. Gi Kwang just laid his head to the car seat's headrest and drifted off. 

He looked back at the gray sky. Jang Mi... Both of them grew up really fast. The girl in polka-dotted dress and white sweater, wavy hair lying just above her shoulders walking towards him while he was sitting quietly away from the crowd- that's the very first image of Jang Mi he met 13 years ago. 

He suddenly remembered the lunch box given to him by Jang Mi. He opened it and saw the neatly arranged bokkeumbap in the container. They were indeed perfectly made. He smiled.