Mr. President

My Favorite Mistake

 

Woohyun had spent most of his early teens causing havoc. He played too much and too hard. Eventually, all his fooling around came crashing down on him. Woohyun couldn't face the consequences of his actions. He hated himself for being a coward, but he was too afraid to face reality. Woohyun left everything behind to start new. His family provided him with a small apartment and monthly allowance. In return Woohyun had to stay out of trouble and finish school.

 

Wake up, eat breakfast, get ready, go to school, come home, eat dinner, sleep. This was Woohyun's routine. A routine he's been doing for the past year since he moved to Seoul. Boring as it was, that's how he wanted it, quiet and predictable. Sometimes he would pick up part time jobs, not for the money, but just to kill time and his boredom. He didn't want to cause any more trouble.

 

Woohyun's apartment was small and barely had any furniture but he didn't care. It had the basic conveniences he needed. The one thing that was missing from the apartment were personal items. No pictures, no albums, nothing to show who Woohyun was. Pictures were terrible reminders for him. He didn't want to be reminded about how much of a awful person he was or how he had disappointed the people he cared most. To Woohyun, his past was something worth forgetting.

 

The sun was shining through Woohyun's window. He tossed and turned under his blanket trying to go back to sleep but it was too late. He cursed under his breath and pulled himself out of bed. He place rice in the rice cooker and headed to the shower. Clean and dressed, Woohyun walked back to the kitchen and prepared some side dishes to go with his rice. The rice should had already been done but when he checked on it, Woohyun realized that he hadn't press the cook button hard enough to get it started. He swore at himself and made to sure press the button properly. He sat on the kitchen counter picking at his side dishes while waiting for the rice to cook. Woohyun was getting impatient. He looked down at his watch and jumped off the counter. Now he was running late. Woohyun bolted out of his apartment and ran to the bus stop. He barely made it. He took a seat at the very back of the bus and put on his headphones. Several students from his school also took this bus and he didn't want to have to talk to anyone. Woohyun starred out the window, he was lost in his own world.

 

Walking through school, students were all gathered with their group of friends. Girls linking arms as they walked through the hall. Guys fooling around, play fighting with another. Woohyun was the only one who didn't have a group or a even a single friend. Woohyun wasn't a loser but he wasn't popular either. Other students have tried to be friends with him but he kept his distance. He was friendly to his fellow classmates but that was the extent of it. He couldn't bring himself to get close to anyone. Not anymore.

 

Woohyun entered class 2-4. He took his seat by the window and laid his head down. He decided to take a little nap, since he didn't feel like he got enough sleep from that night. He still had another 15 minutes before the class would start. The classroom was calm until the school kingkas entered. They were made up of three of the schools bad boys, Sunggyu, Myungsoo, and Sungyeol. Dangerously handsome and feared by the student body. They had the good looks but with a bad reputation. Still, girls fawned over them, while the boys envied them.

 

Woohyun woke from his nap when he felt someone kick his desk. He turned his head to look at who had cut his nap short. He found himself surrounded by the kingkas.

“Ya, Woohyun. Give us some money.” Sungyeol demanded.

Sungyeol was the voice of the group. He always spoke for the others. While Myungsoo was the muscle and the leader, Sunggyu, was the brains.

Woohyun let out a soft sigh, “I really don't have any.”

Sungyeol didn't believe the seated man. “Oh I'm sure you have something.”

Woohyun didn't want to be bothered. He stood up and began to put his hands in his pocket. He was about to pull out the contents of his pocket when he was interrupted.

“Alright class, everyone take your seat.”

Their teacher walked in and all the students quickly shuffled around the room to get to their seat.

“Saved by the teacher” Sungyeol chimed. “We'll continue this next time.”

The three kingkas took their seat in the back of the classroom and Woohyun sat down and laid his head back on his desk.

“With the start of a new semester, we have a lot of thing to get done today.” Mr. Park began. “I'm passing out two set of papers you need to fill out. The first is your study plan.”

The whole class groaned as they passed the papers around.

“The second is your career goal.” Mr. Park continued. “You all have until the end of the week to complete both forms.”

Mr Park was leaning on his desk, waiting till all the students received their papers. When he saw the last students getting their papers he started to speak once again.

“The next order of business will be to elect a new class president and vice president. Any one want to give their nomination?”

A student in the front raised his hand. “Teacher, I'd like to remain as vice president.”

“Ok, Sungjong has put in his nomination for vice president .... Anyone else?”

Students looked around the classroom silently. It seemed that no one wanted to take on the extra responsibilities.

Mr. Park broke the silence. “Umm, Dongwoo would you like to remain as president as well?”

Dongwoo scratched his head. “I'm sorry Mr. Park but I need to concentrate on my extra curricular activities this semester.... Ummm... I nominate Nam Woohyun.”

Woohyun perked up when heard his name. He looked at Dongwoo, who gave him a nervous smile.

“Wh-wh-what? I'm not qualified to be president.” Woohyun objected.

“Mr. Park, Woohyun is in the top five of the class, I'm sure he would be a good president.” Dongwoo added.

Woohyun gazed over at Dongwoo dumbfounded. Though it might have seemed like Woohyun was a slacker, he was actually one of the smartest students, not only in his class, but also in their whole grade.

Mr. Park nodded. “Ok.... Anyone else?”

The class remained quiet.

“Well since there no more nominations, lets finalize it with a vote. All in favor of having Lee Syungjong as Vice President raise your hands... all oppose?... Now all in favor of have Nam Woohyun as President?... all oppose?” The teacher counted the hands that were raised.

Woohyun wanted to protest but the class had made up their mind. He sat back on his seat defeated.

“Congratulations President Nam and Vice President Lee. I hope the two of you lead our class well... Since this has been taken care of lets get started with our lesson.”

Mr. Park took out a marker and started to write on the white board. He started his lecture while the students did their best to keep up in their notes.

Woohyun sighed and laid his head on his desk once more. So much for not bringing attention to myself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  Finally the first chapter... I tried serveral time to fix the beginnning but it still came out bad.  I do apologize.  Hopefully I'll get better as the story progresses.

Thank you Rhodesia, Evangelynne, Bndlesspssblities, Sammieyong, Baekhyunie, MuchLove, Grimada, Koyaka for subscribing :)