An unexpected trip up to the East

Foxy

Eh… Eh? Eh? It’s my turn now? Um… Yunnie! Don’t leave me alone! I don’t know how to tell stories! Yunnie?? Ah, ahhaha, Hi! /sweat drops/ it’s me, JaeJae. You can call me Joongie cos Yunnie calls me that all the time and I’m nervous now and I don’t know how to go on! Yunnie!!!!!! He’s not here. Ah, that’s because he’s gone to school and I’m alone at home again. I don’t really like his school, they have fox traps and I don’t wanna get stuck in them. /Pouts/

I wonder what Yunnie does in school. Although I follow him sometimes, I don’t really like his class, and I don’t like that human girl who keeps pestering my precious Yunnie. She makes me want to put my paw around her neck and strangle her to—ah! Ahhahaha! No it’s fine! I’m just talking to myself that’s all. I want my Yunho now /Pouts again/ I can’t wait till Yunnie gets home. I miss him already. Nnngggh.

Yunho says he prefers me to stay at home because many people will get jealous over my beauty and get attracted to me. I tried looking in the shiny reflective thing called a mirror and I don’t find myself beautiful. Maybe Yunnie thinks so. I didn’t know my ears were so fluffy. Teehehehe~

I normally spend half the day lazing around in the forest behind the University near home. Sometimes I spend the day alone, sometimes Min Min joins me when he doesn’t want to go for class. He hates me to call him MinMin, he says it makes him sound childish, BUT he is! He likes to play with my tail and chase me in rounds around some random tree. Stupid MinMin.

By afternoon, I’ll be waiting at Seoul National University’s steps for my precious Yunnie. Nobody knows that it’s me because I always like to keep a ‘low profile’; I mean keep a small frame. As usual, I try to dodge all those stampeding human beings while they move like messy ill-behaved people out of a school, only Yunnie is well-behaved. Hehehe~ Oh! I spot him! Bye!!

 

-----------------------------------

Oh, oh it’s back to me. Yeah, sorry about Joongie’s narration, he’s not a people person and not a narrator, and neither am I. Anyway, after school, I usually pick Jae up literally and scoot off into the greenery of the lushes forest. He likes it there, well and so do I.

“S’up human!” Would be the usual call from the tree branch above.

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t you have any other kind of greetings other than ‘S’up’?” I asked as I continued to stroll and he leaped to my side.

“No, not really.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Well, duh, ‘what’s going down dawg’ sounds to street, and ‘how’s it going’ sounds British. ‘Howdy’ sounds, eh… cowboy-ish and—“He babbled on.

“Yeah, yeah, I get it.” I interrupted him waving my hand dismissively.

We walked the length of the forest glades in comfortable silence, occasionally watching ChangMin kick up leaves on the forest floor. I cuddled the little fox in my arms and listened to his steady breathing and cute purring as he snuggled into my arms, splaying all nine tails all over my hands. I chuckled his fur and rocking him like a baby.

It wasn’t until I neared my home that Joongie decided to wake up at the right moment. He leaped off my arms and bounded to the door excitedly like there was something awaiting us. Actually all he wanted was for me to cook for him. I at cooking but Joongie is not a picky eater so I win hands down. Turning to ChangMin, I grinned.

“Care to join us for dinner?”

“Are you kidding me? I don’t eat human food, human.”

“Oh, boo-hoo.” I retaliated. “Stop calling me by my species, Vampire!”

“But I like it. HUMAN.”

“Blood er.”

“Snot nose brat.” ChangMin hissed.

“Who’s the brat?” I asked. “In human age, you’re younger than me.”

“Not in this life Michael Jackson.” ChangMin countered, smug in his voice.

“At least I can dance, and you can’t.” I shrugged.

“You? Dance? You have two left feet!”

“MINMIN!” Joongie cried pouncing onto the Vampire again and both of them rolled on the floor. I watched both of them tussle again and groaned. Seriously this happens almost every day. ChangMin attempts to tease me, I retaliate, ChangMin teases me more and tries to throw in puns, I retaliate more, Joongie pounces. End of story.

“Mystical creatures of the forest!” I cried out and both gave me an odd look.

“You sound like Summoner instead of an assassin ninja. “ChangMin commented in between chuckles.

“Urghh.” I groaned.

Joongie decided to head ChangMin which started round two, on the floor.

“Yah! Hyung!” ChangMin exclaimed, rough housing.

“Ah--!” JaeJoong whine when the Vampire pulled his fox ears. He pulled back except it was ChangMin’s hair.

“You started it first—“

“You teased Yunnie!”

“Joongie!” I cried making the Gumiho turn in response to his name being called; he tilted his head, with ChangMin’s fingers still wrapped around his bushy tail. “Paw.”

The fox pouted as he’s natural reaction was to put his hand in mine like a good puppy. I smirked with satisfaction while he pouted his best pout. ChangMin shook his head and brushed his pants when he noticed a glow in the bushes in a distance. Deciding he would check it out, he left me and Joongie to catch up with him.

“ChangMin?” I called out as I neared the boy. “Cha-“

“Shhh!” He hissed putting a finger to my lip. “I see something.”

“I see it too but I don’t think it’s dangerous.” I commented, still he pushed forward until both of us hear a silent little murmuring coming closer and closer. The light too became brighter when a lantern like creature floated randomly into out vicinity. It looked bamboo like, long tongue, one eye lazy mouth opened, a silly grin hanging on its lips. It noticed us, and giggled with its low rounded voice before floating away like nothing happened.

“Well that was awkward.” I commented. “I’ve never seen a Chochinobake before in my life.”

“You don’t see them often.” ChangMin commented.

“Shiny!” Joongie commented, and I realized he’d grabbed onto the lantern demon’s head staring at it intently with interest.

“Joongie! Put that down!” I exclaimed.

“But—“He whined while the animated lantern wiggled in his hands trying to break free. In so doing, it flicked its long tongue lapping at Jae’s hands. The fox yapped at the cool, wet feel before releasing it. Turning around, it stuck out its tongue (as if its tongue wasn’t long enough) to taunt the gumiho making Joongie scrunch his nose.

“You see that’s what you get.” I admonished. Then I turned to the Chochinobake. “Shoo!” I shoved it away.

ChangMin chuckled while he watched me reprimand the Gumiho.

“Anyway.” He prompted.

“Eh?”

“Haven’t you heard?” He asked.

“About?”

“There was this strange anomaly that occurred around the east of DaeGu.”

I stared at him for a while wondering what he was trying to drive at.

“What kind?”

“You haven’t heard? The men there keep complaining of non-existent hickeys on their necks. They claim they are hickeys but they look like bite marks.” He explained his chin rather thoughtfully.

“What, like that of a Vampire?” I asked.

“Like a vampire.” He corrected. “But funny thing is, the men are only the targets of these attacks and they keep losing blood each day. Strangely they babble on about some beautiful woman who would roam around the area but none of them know who she is or what she is.”

“Vampire?” I repeated.

“ you, Jung, Vampires prey on anyone. Imma your blood now to make it clear.” He sneered.

“Ayy—I got your point.” I apologized. “So, you want me to go there and find out what went wrong?”

“You are and Exorcist aren’t you?” He asked looking like he would have doubted me if I pressed further.

“Yeah, I am, but I can’t just take a 4hour journey to DaeGu just to check it out right? What about school?”

“Ah… My dear feeble minded human being. That’s where Joongie hyung comes in handy and there’s something called a Shikigami.” He grinned, know it all.

Joongie just stared at ChangMin as he spoke.

“You want us to go?”

“I could go with you.” He suggested.

“You?”

“What, you don’t like if I’m not by your side even in school huh?” He questioned and I swore there was just a hint of teasing behind his tone.

“Cos not! It’s just even if I can get a duplicate of myself there’s no guarantee what it will do.”

“Swell! Then it’s settled. I go with Joongie Hyung; and your clone can stay here and watch my absent .” He concluded.

I put out a finger and my mouth was open in the start of the sentence. I wanted to protest but it seemed like the only choice I had. I pulled out a piece of paper shaped like a human being and groaned. I hated to use Shikigamis, especially when they can be unpredictable. You don’t know what kind of collateral damage they can do when you’re not around. Heaving a sigh, I mumbled a chant and the paper poofed into an exact replica of me.

ChangMin looked at the still figure from top to toe. “Looks like you.”

My look was rather distressed as I massaged my temple. “Do as I say, nothing more nothing less, be me, act like me, walk like me, eat like me, talk like me. Basically be me.” I commanded it before facepalming.

“Awesome!”

“Two Yunnies!” Joongie commented skipping around back to the Shikigami’s and poking it.

The paper doll swatted Joongie’s hand away and the Gumiho whined.

“Well, it swats like me.” I commented.

“Great! Now let’s go!”

“Wait!” I cried. “Where do I put him?”

“Good idea.” ChangMin nodded. “School?”

“Studious me.” I joked.

“Psh, you? Studious? Hell to the no.” He answered patting me on the shoulder and smirking away.

“Moral support please!” I complained.

 

And so, just like that, we were on a train eastward bound to DaeGu which took not more than four hours and by the time we reached the train station, things started to look a little weird. The women were desperately concerned with their husband’s conditions.

They looked as though they were zombified and just sitting around. One case where I thought was the worse was when one of the men grabbed a pole and started beating himself with it. His hair was unkempt and he was drooling like something had possessed him. I cringed at the sight and began to look around.

“Sorry.” I called walking over to one of the women who were trying to get sense into her husband. “Can you tell me what happened here?”

She snapped her head up in surprise to look at me. Her eyes were blood shot and black eye rings surrounded her rims, showing that she hadn’t slept for quite a while. Her breath was in short pants and she mumbled something about ‘demon’ ‘vampire’. I shot a look to ChangMin who shrugged.

“It’s a witch I tell you!” She cried. “They take his blood and leave all these marks, now they want to take his mind!”

“Ma’am calm down.” I suggested putting my hand to her shoulder and she winced away from it.

“It’s not going to work like this.” ChangMin suggested, before he turned. “Where’s Joongie Hyung?”

“Wh-what?” I gasped not realizing that Jae was missing.

“.” ChangMin cursed.

“Joongie!” I cried.

“Over here!” I heard a familiar voice call out from behind the train.

“Joongie?” I asked turning the bend to find the Gumiho on his knees staring at a man hiding behind the metal vehicle, cowering and shivering.

“W-what are you?” He cried trying to swat the nine tailed fox away.

“Excuse me?” I asked coming beside Joongie. “Don’t worry, he won’t hurt you.” I assured.

“I don’t believe!” He screamed hands above his head, hysterical.

ChangMin clicked his tongue before shoving his hand under the metal compartment and heaving the man out with his super strength. The man screamed in unison and I shook my head at the Vampire slowly. ChangMin put him down and backed behind me.

“Can you tell me what happened here?” I asked trying my best not to spook him anymore than he already was.

“I don’t know—I don’t know!” He shivered. ChangMin hissed and he trembled even more. “Don’t kill me!”

“I won’t! He won’t!” I raised my voice more than necessary and regretted doing so. “I’m sorry.”

I was glad when he finally calmed down a little managing to look me in the eyes. They told me so much of fear and terror that had gone on in the town. He bit his lips, still trembling slightly and began to sob uncontrollably.

“It took them at night—“He whispered. “I saw it.”

“Who’s it?” I asked.

“Succubus.”

========================================================================================

 

The little Creature book 101:

Chōchinobake : A possessed chōchin lantern.(The traditional lighting equipment of Japan includes the andon) They are portrayed with "one eye, and a long tongue protruding from an open mouth.

Succubus: spirit that draws energy/blood from its male victims. (Jap version Hinoenma)

 

Hi! Yes~ Finally I was able to update this after so long again. Inspiration comes in weird places and weird times. Well don't mind me!

YunJaeMin travel to Jae's hometown 'DaeGu' where they meet with something more than out of the odinary. I'm not really a Japanese folklore writter so my Japanese mystical creatures are not so professional in nature XD!

 

 

Coments please!!

 

Love,

DragonKnightYunJae