Outside the Heat III

Chef Shenanigans
✻ chapter eight
Outside the Heat III
 

Now, like the other boys, Jongdae stayed up late and woke up very early. It's a poor life choice, but he just chose to accept his way of life. And like most people, he wants to enjoy the little amount of sleep he has. Meaning he doesn't want to be woken up at all. Especially at 3am by a scared little boy by the name of Luhan.

"It is ing 3am, unless your house is on fire, I'm going to hang up on you in three seconds," Jongdae murmured into his cell phone rubbing his eyes. 

"LOST POWER! I CAN'T SEE A THING!" Luhan on the other side sobbed.

"Can't you just use your phone as a source of light?" 

"Not for long! It's going to die soon!"

"Well what the do you want me to do about it? I'm twenty minutes away from you!"

"Actually make that thirty minutes," Luhan corrected. "I'm in Sehun and Jongin's apartment."

"I thought movie night was supposed to end at midnight?"

"Well newsflash, Mr.Cook: NO POWER, NO MOVIE. NO POWER, CANNOT GET OUT OF APARTMENT."

"Okay, calm down calm down, you little Beijing duck," Jongdae rolled over and massaged his forehead. "Is anybody with you right now?"

"Yeah, Chanyeol is right next to me.."

"...Wait a minu-"

"I'M NOT CUDDLING WITH HIM!" Luhan protested.

"..I didn't even ask if you were!" Jongdae snickered. "But hey, now that you mention it.."

"Just come over and help us with this!"

"What's the magic word?"

"P L E A S E ."

"Mmmmm.. Not the answer I was looking for?"

"What the is the magic word?"

"Call me 'Mr.Chef.'"

"Oh, hell no. I'd rather--"

"So how's cuddling with Chanyeol?" Jongdae interrupted. A slight smirk appearing on his face. Even if it was 3am, he still enjoyed taunting Luhan.

"...Mr. Chef Jongdae, please, my culinary majesty, help us in our time of need."

"Very well. Your king shall help you peasants."

"You're pushing it, my lord."

"Okay, okay. I'll wake up Yixing and we'll be there as soon as we can." 

The two said goodbye and hung up. Jongdae rolled over enough to land on the floor of his bedroom. Luckily, his bed was only a few inches off of the ground. He's pretty happy that he selected the bottom bed. He stood up and stretched out his arms before turning back around to climb onto the top bunk. "C'mon, Xingxing, we gotta save the duck and the others."

"But mooooooooooooooooooooooom, I don't wanna go to school," Yixing mumbled in his sleep as he slapped Jongdae's face.

The fact that Yixing was dreaming about school and actually slapped his own 'mother' in the face really confused Jongdae. "This is going to be a long night."

 

 

✧✧♚✧✧

 

 

 

The fact that Sehun was stuck in a dark room with a man that could possibly steal the man of his dreams sickened him. What's even worse is that Sehun forgot that he's terribly afraid of the dark when he agreed to Jongin's plan. There he was sitting on the floor of his room, touching knees with Baekhyun who was right next to him who probably the calmest person in the apartment. "So do blackout's happen often?" Baekhyun asked.

"This is the first one we've had, actually," Sehun responds. He sees that Baekhyun took out his phone and mimicks him. "Do you think that Chanyeol and Luhan are okay out there?"

"I mean we could go outside and check, but I don't know where the door is and my phone's light settings are poor quality..." Sehun takes this opportunity as Baekhyun continues talking to look at the 'enemy's' phone. He notices that Baekhyun was texting a few of his text messages, most of them from Luhan. Oh, Sehun's tolerance level for Baekhyun just lowered a lot. He then notices that Baekhyun stopped talking and notices that Baekhyun can see that Sehun was eyeing the phone in front of him. "..Is there something I can help you with?" Baekhyun asks as he quickly closes his messages.

"Oh, nothing nothing.. Just-- How close are you with Luhan?" Sehun blurts out.

Baekhyun's a bit surprised as such a random question. Sehun's surprised that he actually let those words escape his mouth. "Well, I've known Luhan for a few years now because he's pretty close with my noona. Plus, y'know, we work together and all.." Sehun nods in response and mentally pictures himself push Baekhyun against the wall the dish out more information of their friendship. "Why do you ask, Sehun?"

"I just.. see that you two are close..so..yeah.." That's all the Sehun could manage out before he heard a loud knock from the enterance of their apartment. The two boys stuck in Sehun's room yelled and quickly grabbed each other out of shock. It took a while for Sehun to realize what position he was in, but he surprisingly didn't mind. Baekhyun was shorter and smaller even though he was older, but his grip was firm and protective over the younger boy. This certainly made Sehun realize that maybe Baekhyun wasn't that much of an 'enemy.'

 

 

✧✧♚✧✧

 

 

 

"No, Chanyeol! Don't leave me on this couch all alone!" Luhan whined as he lost his tall sense of warmth.

"I'm just going to get the door!" Chanyeol motions as he moves away from the couch. "I'm only twenty feet away from you." Before Chanyeol could even pass around the couch, a little Beijing duck grabs onto the back of his shirt.

"Okay, then I'm coming with you," Luhan nods as he follows Chanyeol from behind. His upper body is pressed to Chanyeol's back as if he were giving a back hug. It was obvious that Luhan had a fear of darkness that he didn't want to admit. It was also obvious that Luhan felt secure when Chanyeol comforted him on the couch. They might have been awkward together at first, but the second the lights went off, it was as if they were the best of friends. The banging on the door continued, which made Luhan grip Chanyeol's shirt even tighter. There was muffled sounds coming from the other side of the door, but the two of them couldn't quite figure out the voices.

Slowly but surely, Chanyeol looked through the peephole to find a zombie Yixing, bedhead Jongdae, snickering Jongin, and a confused Kyungsoo and Minseok.

 

 

✧✧♚✧✧

 

 

 

"Kim Jongin, I'm going to ing stab you, cut you into pieces, boil you in oil, and serve you as our main entree when we go back to work tomorrow," Luhan blurts out as all of them sat together in the living room with the lights back on. It took a while, but Jongin was exposed as the one who caused the blackout in the first place. With much scolding, cussing out, and hitting, Jongin went back down to the control room to rewire the apartment room's electric circuits.

"Technically we have work in-- five hours," Jongin said checking his watch. They all glared at him as if he had lost all rights and privileges to speak. "Okay, hey, it's not entirely my fault for this mishap! Chanyeol and Sehun were in on this too!"

"Dammit, Jongin," Chanyeol muttered under his breath. Everyone now turned their attention to Chanyeol and Sehun who were on the left and right of Jongin. Chanyeol glared at Jongin who made a tiny smile at his hyung. "I'm going to kill you," Chanyeol mouthed as he turned his attention back at the glaring crowd. "Okay, the two maknaes dragged me into this plan, to be honest."

"Hyung, you were all for this plan, don't even lie," Sehun rolled his eyes. "You were the one came up with the plan in the first place.."

"Yes, but that's only because you wanted to find a way to get closer to your 'man'," Chanyeol said raising his voice as his fingers emphasized the word 'man.'

"Only because you said that this stupid reverse psychology would work out!" Sehun barked back.

"YOU ALL ARE LOUD AS !" Jongdae yells, silencing everyone and everything in the room. "Look, it's almost 5am, we're all tired, we're all mad at each other, and we all have work tomorrow. Can we all just forgive and forget? Or at least save it for the kitchen?"

"That's probably the wisest thing you've ever said," Luhan comments as he agrees with the cook's statement. Jongdae smirks and shrugs. "What can I say, I'm in my element when someone calls me at ing 3am doing things he'd rather not admit." Luhan's face went blank as he stared down Jongdae. If that boy were to mention anything about that couch cuddling session, Jongdae would be dead within 0.2 seconds.

Kyungsoo clapped his hands together and let out a yawn. "I'm pretty tired right now, so I'm just going to head out. Nice meeting with you all again." Kyungsoo bowed and headed straight for the door.

"Wait, Kyungsoo!" Minseok yelled after him as he rushed beside him. "Here," the steamed bun handed the new recruit an apron that seemed to be embroidered with Chef Kyungsoo. "It isn't much, but we bought it and customized it for you once we knew you were going to be cooking with us," Minseok chuckled as he scratched the back of his head.

Kyungsoo couldn't help but smile at this. He looked up and saw the others laughing and joking with each other, despite the fact that they have work within a few hours. He could tell that as much as they annoy and threaten each other, they cared for one another. And Kyungsoo was really happy to be a part of this crazy and dellusional group of chefs now.

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
✻ author's note
WOW LOOK WHO'S BACK AFTER ALMOST A MONTH! /welp/ Okay I'm totally sorry about that. I never thought I would be that author that writes and barely updates. I just have a busy busy life is all OTL but hey, it's summer and hopefully I can update these stories more!
And just an fyi, there will be more 'outside the heat' series within this story. This story might get pretty lengthy, okay? I'm looking at around 30-40 chapters? Hopefully, if my summer schedule and school schedule is in my favor, you can look forward to a new chapter every week or so?
Thanks for sticking with me through it all though! Love yall!
Comments/subs/feedback is always appreciated <3