Outside the Heat II

Chef Shenanigans
✻ chapter seven
Outside the Heat II
 

"Baekbutt!"

"Baek to the future!"

"Baby Baek ribs!"

"Oh dear God, why me.." Baekhyun muttered as he slammed his face into the couch pillow for the hundredth time. As his friends thought of countless nicknames they could think of for him, he buried his face into the pillow thinking of ways to rid of his 'friends.'

Luhan, who was sitting next to the half-dead Baek, let out a chuckle and patted the younger one on his back. "It's okay bro, at least you don't have seven thousand names like Kris does."

Baekhyun looked up to his Chinese friend and smiled. He's pretty happy that Luhan is the only one not in on the nickname game. Luhan's a good friend, despite his smart attitude and sarcastic tone. Luhan may be a bit older than him, but they've grown pretty close. Ever since Luhan befriended Baekhyun's sister, the two boys have been with each other through thick and thin. Much like Joonmyeon and Kris' relationship, they understand each other in a way only they know.

It's a good friendship. But it's a friendship that Chanyeol and Sehun mistake for an undying secret bromance.

"Chanyeol, could you come with me to the kitchen for a sec?" Sehun asks as he stands up from the fading nickname game. "I need to get the popcorn."

"But there's plenty of popcorn here already.." Chanyeol replies as he proceeds to stuff his face with the butter-drenced snack. Sehun glares at Chanyeol as he yanks his hyung with him to the kitchen. "Dude, what the heck, we have plenty of popcorn!"

"THIS ISN'T FOR THE ING POPCORN!" Sehun whispers loudly. "This is about Baekhyun and Luhan!"

"Oh, right right." Chanyeol nodded as he remembered the whole meaning of this movie night. "Damn, maknae, look at you growing up and calling the shots."

Sehun mimicked his hyung in a higher-pitched voice as he rolled his eyes. He waved over Jongin who was a just lollygagging on the loveseat facing the kitchen. Jongin nods and subtly walks towards the other two as Baekhyun and Luhan grow into a heated discussion on the pros and cons of square plates for the restaurant.

"What's the plan, stan?" Jongin whispers as he finds the two crouched down behind the sink counter.

"..I told you the plan, Jongin.. You were supposed to bring the stuff, remember?" Chanyeol asks as he suddenly regrets being involved in this. Why is he always stuck with the maknaes?

"Oh, right right right.." Jongin says as he gets a flashlight from his pocket and a pair of pliers from another. "I'll cut off the circuits for the apartment and scare the out of Baekhyun."

"Or Luhan. Or both. Whichever one is afraid of the dark.." Chanyeol adds.

"I'm pretty sure it's Luhan.. Sehun made a post when he went to the bathroom about how Luhan runs like a deer out of the supply room when he turns the lights off."

Chanyeol glares at Sehun as the maknae shrugs. "You guys won't let me blog in the kitchen, so I had to blog somewhere!"

"Alright, alright. Let's just get this over with," Chanyeol rubs his forehead as he truly reconsiders the people he chooses to make plans with.

The three nod as they proceeded with their plan.

"Wait wait!" Jongin whispered loudly as he flailed his arms in the air watching the other two crawl back. "We need to join our hands together like they do with sports teams.."

"Oh my gosh, why.." Chanyeol whined as he stacked his hand ontop of Sehun's who agreed with Jongin's plan.

"And.. one..two..three..Kris is gay!" Jongin shouted as he lifted all of their hands up and ran back to Baekhyun and Luhan.

The other two followed Jongin as they approached Baekhyun and Luhan who are now talking about what Yixing would look like if he were a sad drunk. Jongin excuses himself from the others as he needs to buy 'more paper towels' for movie night. He closes the door and snickers to himself. Little do Sehun and Chanyeol know that he plans to cut off the electricity to the apartment and scare, if not, humiliate Chanyeol and Sehun. Jongin was already a step ahead and wired in a sound system into their apartment while Sehun was buying food with Chanyeol. He may seem like a lazy , but Jongin was a tech savy machine.

Jongin made his way to the lobby of the apartment rooms and walked towards the staircase that led to the basement on the left.

"Oh, hey Jongin!" an oh so familar voice spoke from behind him. No, Jongin must be dreaming it can't be who he thinks it is.

"Oh, yeah, forgot to tell you, Kyungsoo, I live directly below Chanyeol, who's right next to Jongin and Sehun," Minseok commented as he entered the scene.

Jongin gulped and turned around to see Kyungsoo and Minseok standing right next to each other. "How do you two–"

"Weird, right?" Kyungsoo laughed as he walked towards Jongin. I had no idea we were all under the same roof."

"..You mean you live here too?" Jongin asked as his heartbeat beat went from an adagio to an allegro.

"I do! Wow, it's a small world after all.. Anyway, what are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm just going to..check my laudry in the basement. We're having a movie night in the apartment tonight."

"Yet another social gathering you all don't invite me too," Minseok dramatically sighs as he slowly walks up the staircase Jongin was about to go down.

"How 'bout I accompany you downstairs?" Kyungsoo says as he looked down the dark basement staircase. "Seems a bit sketchy for someone to go by themselves.."

"Woe is me, a poor steamed bun who's got no company." Minseok groans loudly as he begins marching up the next set of stairs. 

"You're welcome to join us!" Jongin shouts from below. He's responded by a giddy 'okay, sure' from Minseok as Kyungsoo and Jongin hear quick steps scurry up to the fourth floor.

Now Jongin and Kyungsoo, who still had two bags of groceries for Minseok in hand, were together in the staircase.

Just the two of them.

 

 

✧✧♚✧✧

 

 

"So if Sehun was a gangster, his name would be Yo Sehun."

"And if he's on a rowing team, he would be Row Sehun."

"OH MY GOD. BAEKHYUN, I GET IT NOW, JUST STOP." Sehun suddenly regretted starting that nickname game with Baekhyun's name.

"No, revenge is a dish best served cold." Baekhyun chuckles as he is finally able to have fun with this game.

"Y'know, they say revenge is also sweet. So wouldn't that make revenge...ice cream?" Luhan adds onto the discussion. They all sit there quietly and think about that for a moment. They all nod in unison at Luhan's 'amazing discovery.'

As Jongin left for his little 'adventure,' Chanyeol and Sehun's plan commenced. Chanyeol sat next to Luhan and Baekhyun next to Sehun. They sat next to their 'enemy' as planned.

"So wait," Baekhyun interrupts as he puts his arms in the air. "What are we even watching tonight?"

"..Well, I just bought a new DVD from the ones on the coffee table, but I don't know where it is. I think it's somewhere in my bedroom," Sehun dryly laughed as he scratched the back of his neck.

"Oh, why don't we look in there?" Baekhyun suggested as he got up from the couch. Before Sehun could even decline the offer, Baekhyun grabbed the maknae's wrist and proceeded to the bedroom, leaving Chanyeol and Luhan sitting next to each other. Together. Alone.

 

Oh this situation was beyond awkward. Well, for Chanyeol, at least. He's known Luhan ever since they started working at the Douze Bistro. They've had small talks before, but they've never had an actual conversation where they did more than just ask how they were or how the weather was like. Nope, this would be the first.

Luckily, a familar little bun rang the door bell just in time.

 

 

✧✧♚✧✧

 

 

"So this is what the basement looks like," Kyungsoo said in awe as he followed Jongin still holding the grocery bags. They just reached the bottom of the staircase as Kyungsoo looked down the narrow but brightly lit hallway. "Well this is different. Usually, the basement is the darkest part of a building."

"Yeah, well, this isn't your typical building," Jongin replied as he searched for the utility closet. He kept muttering 'OT12, OT12' to constantly remind himself of the room number.

"Um.. we aren't here to get your laundry now, are we?" Kyungsoo asked as he saw Jongin enter the room with a set of pliers in his hand.

"Well.. no. I need to come here to..fix the lighting in our apartment."

"Oh, is something wrong? I could help! My dad taught me a thing or too when I was younger.."

"No no no, it's fine. Really. I just need to snip this.." Jongin kept quiet as he concentrated on cutting the circuit off. Once the red wire was clipped, he smiled, ran out of the room and back up to the lobby leaving Kyungsoo behind.

"...Kyungsoo," he said to himself, "you always fall for the weird ones.." he sighed as he trudged upstairs with his plastic bagged ingredients that were probably going to be ruined when he got upstairs.

 

"Hey, you didn't need to sprint off like that.." Kyungsoo firmly scolded Jongin.

"Sorry, sorry. I wanted to make it up in time to hear if–"

"HOLY WE LOST POWER!"

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
✻ author's note

Who's back? Ally's back! It's been three months, but I'm finally back. I'd like to formally apologize for my hiatus. School just stressed me out to no extent and I really had to time or inspiration to write during that time. But now that school's coming to an end, I can update more! ;u;

So this is a continuation of the "Outside the Heat" side story. Hope yall don't mind and enjoy! Thank you for sticking with me! Comments, subs, and feedback is always appreciated!