(You Just Got) Chopped

Chef Shenanigans
✻ chapter two
(You Just Got) Chopped
 

The clock struck ten o'clock when the other chefs started coming in. The first to arrive was Baekhyun who gets dropped off by his noona on her way to work. He apologizes for his tardiness and is pushed to Kyungsoo for a formal introduction. After exchanging greetings and bows, Baekhyun runs to Luhan to whisper his comments about the new 'fresh meat.' The two glance at Kyungsoo and giggle with each other. This makes Kyungsoo five hundred times more nervous which makes him more worried about the other chefs he has to meet.

Three chefs come in ten minutes later: Sehun, Jongin, and Chanyeol. The younger two share an apartment— 'as bros' nothing else, they claim— and Chanyeol's their neighbor who drives them. The three apologize for their lateness as well and greet Kyungsoo. Sehun and Chanyeol thought he seemed nice but shy, but Jongin had a liking to the new employee.

"You have big eyes.." Jongin commented as he shook hands with Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo's eyes widen. Was he supposed to be flattered? Is that a compliment? Is he being insulted? "Um.. Thanks? I guess.." he replied.

Jongin quickly scurried over to where the other chefs were, leaving Kyungsoo isolated from them all. He sighed as this was normal for him, to be isolated and all. This happened in high school, this happened in culinary school, and it was bound to happen at his first job. He went to go through the doorway when Joonmyeon barged in with a huge glass jar.

"Alright guys, listen up!" Joonmyeon exclaimed.

The others were stilled huddled in their little clique, deep in their little whisper conversation.

"GUYS..." Joonmyeon raises his voice. Luckily, he gets Luhan's attention and he motions him to bring them all near him. The all waddle to Joonmyeon like a march of penguins.

"What?" Luhan blantly asks.

Joonmyeon places the jar on the table and smiles. "So, I think to make this kitchen more light on the ears, especially with the new chef here, we'd make a cussing jar."

"Wait, so is it like a jar where we cuss?" Sehun asks with his hand raised.

"Why is your hand even up? We aren't in high school anymore.." Jongin comments chuckling.

"It's a force of habit.." Sehun shrugs as he slowly and embarassingly brings his hand down.

Baekhyun takes this time to take the jar, unscrew the lid, and yell. " MY LIFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" He then screw the lid back on and places the jar where it was.

"What the was that for?" Luhan asks.

"It seemed necessary.." Baekhyun replied.

"Okay, what is this jar really for?" Chanyeol asks.

"Well, as I was going to say.." Joonmyeon clears his throat. "This is where you pay up everytime you curse. It's 1000 won everytime."

"WHY THE DO WE NEED THAT?" Luhan throws his hands up in the air with a fit.

"Perfect example, Luhan," Joonmyeon observes. "Now you have to pay 1000 won."

"THE HELL WITH THAT!" Luhan throws his left arm in the air as he walks away from the group.

"Hey! That's another 1000, mister!"

"Since when was 'hell' a cuss word?" Luhan grunted from a distance.

"Since now!" Joonmyeon shouts back. "You now owe the jar 2000 won!"

"Why do we even need this.." Baekhyun asks as he holds the jar up in the air looking at it intensely.

"For one, you all need to stop cussing. And we need money to save up for that trip we've been talking about.."

Luhan rushed back to where the group was and pounds his hands on the table. "YOU DON'T MEAN-"

"H A W A I I !" They all proclaim, except Kyungsoo.

", yeah!' Jongin and Sehun exclaim as they high five each other.

"Pay up," Joonmyeon says as he motions the two to put money in the jar. They sigh and agree by taking out their wallets and putting the money in the jar.

Luhan proceeds to put his debt in the jar as well. "If it's for the trip, then I'll contribute."

"Me too!" Chanyeol exclaims as he slips a coin in the jar.

"What was that for? You didn't even curse.." Baekhyun says..

"Oh," Chanyeol mouthed. "Um.. '.' There, okay, now it's good."

"But guys! There's a catch!" Joonmyeon adds. "The employee who doesn't curse the most each week gets a day off."

All of their eyes were focused on Joonmyeon. "NO WAY," they all shouted in unison, this time including Kyungsoo.

"Yup, I asked the big guy, myself. He agreed to it," Joonmyeon smiled.

"Wow, I can't believe it," Baekhyun gasps.

"Yeah, we actually get a break!" Kyungsoo replies.

"No, not that. Kris actually listened to Joonmyeon."

Joonmyeon let a dry laugh, which was followed by a pat on the back from Luhan.

"So from this point on, this kitchen should have minimal cussing, okay?"

All of them nod at each other in agreement. The clock read fifteen minutes 'til eleven when two more chefs walked in.

"WASSUP, KITCHEN ES!" Jongdae shouts as he enters and stands next to Luhan.

"Ew, you make it sound like they're your es.." Yixing remarks as he enters right behind.

"Pay up," Luhan punches Jongdae on the shoulder.

"The ? I don't own your any dough.." Jongdae scoffs.

Luhan points to the jar. "Everytime we get a sailor's mouth, we have to drop in 1000 won in that jar. The one who doesn't cuss the most each week gets a day off."

Yixing butts in. "WOW, DID KRIS APPROVE OF THIS?"

"Well," Joonmyeon adjusts his collar, "I came up with the idea."

"Like I said," Yixing continues, "did Kris approve of this?"

"Oh, for 's sakes, Y E S," Jongdae growns.

"Pay up," Luhan says again with a grin on his face. Jongdae gives a threatening look to Luhan as he takes out his wallet.

"So," Kyungsoo interrupts the death starring contest, "are all of the chefs here?"

"All except for Minseok and Tao," Yixing replies. "Oh, but Jongdae's here."

"HEY! I'm a chef!" Jongdae barks.

"Please show me your culinary degree," Yixing smiles as he puts his hand out awaiting the document.

Jongdae was about to open his mouth to sass back, but, alas, he shuts his mouth in defeat. "At least I remember my own name," he mutters under his breath.

"Okay, that was one time!" Yixing advocated. "It was a slow day that day, okay!"

"That's not the only thing that's slow," Luhan whispers to Kyungsoo right next to him, which made the two laugh.

Yixing eyes Luhan. "You bastard," he utters out in Chinese.

"Pay up," Joonmyeon said as he held the jar and kept lifting it above the table.

Yixing raises an eyebrow. "How did you even understand that?" he stammered as he took out his wallet.

"Because the only time you say that is when you point at someone when you're angry or something. I've caught on."

To prevent war of the worlds, Luhan takes this time to introduce Kyungsoo to Jongdae and Yixing. They say their names and bow. Kyungsoo could have sworn he's seen Jongdae from somewhere, but Jongdae assures him this is their first time meeting.

"Wait, who are the chefs that are missing?" Kyungsoo asks.

"Minseok and Tao," Chanyeol answers. "Tao's probably still in bed, since his shift starts in the evening. Minseok's probably working at S.M.E. That's a restaurant that's like.. 20 minutes away from here."

"He works.. two chef jobs?" Kyungsoo asks. He's shocked, impressed, and also jealous at how someone can have two chef jobs when he was lucky enough to find one.

"Yeah. They pay him better over there, but I guess he loves us since he keeps coming back."

"Awww, baozi.." Luhan cooes as he slings his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder. Kyungsoo came to the conclusion that everyone in this kitchen is a fan of skinship. Everyone except him. "The kitchen isn't the same without him.."

"Did you just call him a steamed bun?" Kyungsoo asks.

Luhan nods and smiles. "It's because his face is so cheeky and you just wanna go like.." Luhan takes Kyungsoo's cheeks and rubs them between his hands. Kyungsoo adds on to the conclusion that Luhan loves skinship. "Everyone reminds me of food."

"Oh, what do I remind you of?" Yixing asks enthusiastically.

"Jello."

"Is it because I'm such a great dancer?" the boy smiles as he makes a three-sixty spin with a smirk.

"No, it's because you're fun to poke at," Luhan chuckles as he pokes Yixing's cheek.

"WHAT DO I REMIND YOU OF? WHAT DO I REMIND YOU OF?" Baekhyun jumps up and down.

"Baekhyun.. you-"

"Wait, no don't say it.." Baekhyun runs away with his hands covering his ears.

"Do you know what youuuuuuuu remind me of?" Luhan yells as he follows Baekhyun around the kitchen.

"LALALALALALALALALA WHAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU?" Baekhyun yells as he quickens his pace.

"YOU REMIND ME OF-" Luhan yells louder as he continues to chase him.

"DON'T SAY IT! BUT EVEN IF YOU DID I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" Suddenly, Luhan stopped following Baekhyun and stood where he was with his face facing the floor. Baekhyun notices this and uncovers his ears. He walks up to Luhan to see if he was alright. "Um.. You alright, brah?"

"Oh, of course I'm fine!" Luhan smiles sincerly. He then looked at Baekhyun with a smirk. "I'm fine, Bacon."

Baekhyun's face at this point is blank. He sighs and walks over to the cutting board.

"Wait, Baekhyun.. what are you doing?" Chanyeol asks nervously.

"Oh... Nothing.."

Everyone, especially Luhan, began to grow nervous. Baekhyun stood in front of the cutting board and looked down at it for a moment. He looks to his left and sees a santoku knife. The boy lets out a quiet laugh and holds the knife up to observe it. At this point, everyone is about to make a run for the exit. Well, they were planning on exiting and locking the door so that Luhan couldn't get out so they could safely observe how Baekhyun would kill him. 

Baekhyun turns around and looks directly at Luhan. Luhan is literally ting his pants at this point. He knows he shouldn't run away because he knows Baekhyun WILL catch him if he does. Baekhyun walks closer and closer to Luhan. Everyone else is huddled behind the salad station as they watch the predator attack the prey. Luhan looks over Baekhyun's shoulder to see everyone and he mouths out for help. The huddled bunch of penguins look at each other and shake their heads at Luhan. The give him a 'hwaiting' sign though, which Luhan is obviously SOOO thankful for..

Luhan and Baekhyun are inches away from each other. Baekhyun has a knife behind his back. Luhan's pants are now ruined, and the only thing that's said behind the salad station is Jongin whispering, "It looks like they're going to kiss.."

Baekhyun suddenly grabs Luhan by the collar and lifts him above the ground. Everyone, including Luhan, are shocked at this action. They've never thought that Baekhyun could be that strong. Luhan is internally crying and apologizing to his mother for choosing the life as a chef. But to everyone's surprise, Baekhyun uses the knife to make a slit in Luhan's chef uniform jacket. Just like that, Luhan's back on the ground, and Baekhyun's knife is on a nearby counter. 

"Wait," Kyungsoo whispers to Joonmyeon. "Is that it?"

Joonmyeon looks at Kyungsoo and laughs a bit. "Just wait.. Five..four..three..two-"

"YOU SON OF A !" Luhan yells.

"..one." Joonmyeon says.

Baekhyun let's out a hardy laugh and smacks Luhan on the back. "That's what you get pretty boy."

"I CALL YOU ONE NAME AND YOU RUIN MY UNIFORM!" Luhan rages. "DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES TO SEW BACK A UNIFORM TOGETHER?"

"Has.. he sewed back uniforms in the past?" Kyungsoo asks. 

"This isn't the first time Baekhyun's ruined Luhan's uniform," Chanyeol comments. "This happens a lot, to be honest."

"Then why are you all acting like this hasn't happened before?" Kyungsoo mumbled as they all stood up from behind the station.

"Because he always cuts in a different place of the uniform and we like to guess which part of the uniform he'll cut each time," Yixing replies. "Plus the hiding behind the salad station spices things up."

"I can't wait to put this on my blog," Sehun mutters to himself as he whips out his cellphone.

Kyungsoo eyes over the younger boy's shoulder. "You have a blog?"

"Well, duh. Don't you?" Sehun said still focused on his phone as he rolls his eyes. "You should follow me. I'm chef-sehun on tumblr."

"While you're at it, pretty eyes, you should follow me on there too! I'm chef-jongin!" Jongin butted in as he slung his arms around the two. Kyungsoo makes a mental note and a vow to never make a blog so long as he works here. Ever.
 

 

✧✧♚✧✧

 

 

"By the way, Luhan, you owe 1000 for calling Baekhyun a 'son of a ,' Joonmyeon mentions as the chefs started getting prepared at their stations.

Luhan grunts and makes his way to the jar located near the doorway entrance to put a coin in. "Okay, I'm gonna be outside waiting for the delievery trucks and check the inventory," he announces as he makes his way out. The others wave as they continue getting prepared.

"Alright, you guys," Joonmyeon claps his hands together. He realizes that now that Luhan is out, he might be able to gain authority from teh others. "We've got a party that bought out the whole restaurant tonight, so we've got to get cooking."

"What's cooking, good looking," Jongin whispers to Sehun who works at the table in front of him. The two boys giggle as Sehun comments that he's going to put that on his blog as a great pick up line.

"Another good one would be, 'what's shakin' bacon?'" Sehun adds.

"DID SOMEBODY CALL ME 'BACON' AGAIN?" Baekhyun screams as he raises a knife in the air. Chanyeol lets out a small yelp and tells the shorter boy to calm down because he was only imagining things. Chanyeol then gives a death glare to Sehun and Jongin to shut up. The two zip their lips, knowing that if they do something like that again, they'd have to walk to and from work every day for the rest of their lives.

"Anyway.." Joonmyeon continues. "I was thinking for the menu this evening, we could focus on meat."

"I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO BE AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE MENU TODAY?" Sehun gasps with excitement. He was about to pull out his phone when-

"Don't you dare put that on your blog," Joonmyeon points with an angry tone.

Sehun sighs sadly and puts his phone back in his pocket. "The first thing to solving a problem is admiting you have one," Jongin whispers from across.

"So, for tonight I thought we could make a halibut ceviche* prepared by Chanyeol and a light gazpacho* from Baekhyun, Minseok, and Jongin for appetizers. A sous vien tenderloin*— COOKED MEDIUM RARE— prepared by Sehun and seared by Yixing for the main course. Also a light berry crumble* for dessert made by Tao when he comes here. Yixing, don't you dare think of over grilling the meat this time. We don't want a repeat of  the last time we tried to grill a tenderloin."

"It wasn't my fault!" Yixing protested. "The recipe said 45 minutes and I followed!"

"Actually," Jongdae chimed in, "the recipe said 35 minutes." They exchanged glares and Jongdae stuck out his tongue.

"So it was YOU who ruined that dinner!" Yixing shouted. "YOU told me to leave it for 45 minutes!"

"It's not my fault you actually listened to me," Jongdae shrugged.

"Speaking of which.. Jongdae," Joonmyeon called. "Since Minseok isn't here yet and it's Kyungsoo's first day here, you'll work with him on the gazpacho."

"What?" Jongdae protested. "I have no time for that!"

"You're not a chef, you have time," Luhan mumbled as he passed by with delievery boxes in his arms.

"Shut the up," Jongdae replied.

"PAY UP!" Joonmyeon shouted, tapping the lid of the jar. Jongdae let out a whine as he made his way to the jar. After he payed his dues, he turned around to face the kitchen full of chefs— full of people who had culinary degrees. It's not that Jongdae didn't WANT to become a chef, he really did. He had the passion and the skill, but he lacked the money. Coming from a family who disapproved of his job, he was on his own. When his friend, Yixing, heard about Jongdae spending countless hours doing stupid jobs just to get money to for culinary school, he decided to help a brother out. After speaking to Kris and arranging a job interview, Yixing got Jongdae a job at the Douze Bistro. Jongdae was eternally grateful, and always wanted a way to his friend back. Jongdae looked at Kyungsoo who was in the far back familiarizing himself with Minseok's kitchen. He chuckled a bit at how entertained the boy was at the station. Jongdae hates showing his soft side, so he shook off the good feeling and got straight to business.

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
✻ author's note

Look at me I'm updating at 3:30am while watching FoodNetwork. WHAT A LIFE. Anyway, I hope yall don't mind me writing cuss words and stuff. I know some of yall don't like it, but chefs have sailor mouths like omg. Just watch foodnetwork, you'll see.

So a few things to explain:

1) halibut ceviche - it's a halibut fillet with a drerssing that contains vinegar, lime, and various herbs. It's served in a wine glass to add fanciness.
2) gazpacho - it's a tomato based veggie soup. That covers the roles of Minseok (veggie chef) and Baekhyun (sauce chef). I decided to add Jongin because he prepares cold foods as a pantry chef. 
3) sous vien tenderloin - it's a tenderloin (a cut of loin beef ) cooked using the 'sous vien' method, which cooks the entire steak at the same temperature.
4) berry crumble - this is a dessert where the stewed fruit is topped with a crumbly mixture of butter (usually), flour, and sugar. It's actually REALLLY good.

Anything I left out and you need clarification for? Comment and ! Oops! //puts 1000 won in the jar//