Chapter 4

The Tale of a Drowning Bunny

 

 

Sunggyu’s POV

 

We are on our way to Dongwoo’s house. Woohyun stirs occasionally. The truth is I’m shocked. Shocked with everything happened earlier. True, I barely know him but judging from his personality I know he’s a good kid. From the first time I met him, he gives me this unusual feeling. Don’t misunderstand me, it’s a good feeling. Somehow I feel like I should protect him from evilness of the world. Seeing how his grandpa beat like that him makes me mad. He doesn’t deserve this.  I know I’m no good like how often Myungsoo tease me for being ignorant and cold-hearted but never ever in my life have beat someone with a PVC pipe. Not even when Myungsoo burned my CD collections or when Dongwoo accidently (?) spilled coffee on my phone THREE times.

Just now at grandpa’s house I saw someone peeking from behind a pen. He is a blonde, tall and very good-looking. I wonder what he was doing there. Did he know something about this? I got a hunch that he is the mastermind behind the chaos happened at grandpa’s house.

My trance hitches when Woohyun on my back. He mutters ‘haraboeji, sorry’ in a small voice. I can feel his grip on my shoulders tighten. Suddenly, a sob escapes from his mouth and I can feel fresh hot tears fall on my back. I stop.

 

“Hyung, why did you stop?” Myungsoo asks me. Dongwoo looks at me questionably. I turn my head slightly to the left and let go of my hands that support Woohyun, put him back on his foot. He didn’t look at us instead he is facing down with both hands on his mouth to prevent sobs from escaping. I become speechless. I never encounter something like this so I really don’t know how to handle a crying woman, let alone a big cute boy like him. I turn to Dongwoo for help. He steps forward and hauls Woohyun into his embrace. He pats Woohyun’s back softly while muttering some comforting words. That boy keeps on sobbing to the level that I swear his eyes gonna be puffier than Sungjong’s eyes after he cried. Trust me; they are damn scary to look at.

 

“Hyung, what did I do?” asks Woohyun suddenly. He gives Dongwoo a pleading gaze as if asking Dongwoo gives him an earnest answer. When Dongwoo gives no sign to answer, he continues.

“Why did haraboeji hit me? He never hit me before. Did he hate me now, hyung? What should I do? Haraboeji doesn’t want me to come home now. Where should I stay? Hyung, ottoke? Hyung, answer me… why are you being silent? Tell me hyung, tell me.” He pleads. Seeing him like that makes me remember the old me. I become mad. Or hurt? He shouldn’t be a weakling like that. Just like me before.

“No, you tell us.” I state firmly.

“Hyung!” Myungsoo gives me an unsatisfied expression. I glare at him makes him flinch.

 “Tell us what did you do till your grandpa called you a thief? Did you steal something from anyone?” Dongwoo looks at me in disbelieve. He had this what-the-heck-are-you-talking-about expression. Woohyun just fix his gaze to the grass and his sob gets louder. I walk closer to him and grab his arm. He flinches. Fear is written on his face but I pay no attention to that. All I know is, I want him to tell us the truth.

“Yah, stop it. He had enough for today.” Dongwoo stops me.

“No. If he didn’t do anything he should let us know, not taking all the beaten from his grandpa. He should stand for himself.” I reason out. My grips on Woohyun tighten.

“Hyung… h-hurt.” he stutters.

“Tell us now or I won’t let you go,” I threaten him. Suddenly I fall to the ground, my jaw hurt. I look at the man above me.

“You have no right to treat my dongsaeng like that. He might be spoiled but he’s not a thief. He is my PRECIOUS dongsaeng.” Dongwoo emphasis every word he say and pull Woohyun to his house. The latter stop him. He walks to me and kneeling beside me.

“Are you okay, hyung? I can tell you if you wanna know but please don’t fight because of me. I’m not worth it.” he helps me to stand up with Myungsoo pulls me up. Dongwoo gives me a menacing glare.

“I’m innocent, hyung. I really am. I didn’t steal anything. Yesterday before I went to the river, I stopped by Boram’s horse stable because his dad asked me to give him apples. I don’t know who tell haraboeji the lies. Dongwoo hyung, you trust me right?” he turns to Dongwoo and that dino nods while smiling.

“That Boram, is he blonde?” I ask him.

“Ne. How do you know Sunggyu hyung?” he asks me.

“I saw him peeking just now.” I tell them. Dongwoo sighs.

“I know it. That kid, aish!” he kicks a stone in annoyance.

“It’s okay hyung. I don’t want to fight with him anymore. Can we go now?” Woohyun asks. We all then walk to Dongwoo’s house. Myungsoo never leaves Woohyun’s side. That kid really likes Woohyun. I sigh. Before I could step into the house, I heard Dongwoo calls me.

“What?” I ask him.

“Sorry for earlier. I just can’t stand when people hurt him. His brother left him in my care so I can’t tolerate it when people deliberately hurt him. You know what I mean,” he says.

“It’s okay. I understand. Your punch is… quite hurt. Must be working out these days huh,” I playfully push him.

“Now you know.” We both laugh.

 

End of POV

 

“Woo-hyung, where do I sleep,” Woohyun shouts from the living room. He is sitting on the sofa with Myungsoo, munching on popcorn that he forces Myungsoo to buy for him. He should be thankful to his cute face or he’ll starve for the rest of the night because Myungsoo NEVER went out even if I asked him to but food for me. FYI, he IS that lazy.

“You can sleep in the guest room. Myungsoo and Sunggyu can sleep in the other room.”

“Can I sleep with Myungie?” Dongwoo who comes out from the kitchen relent to that puppy eyes the brunet’s gives, paying no attention to that.

“Hyung, I’m talking to youuuuuu,” Woohyun pouts.

“You can’t disturb him Hyunnie. He has to go back to Seoul tomorrow so he needs a good rest.”

“But…”

“No is a no.”

“It’s okay hyung. He can sleep with me. I don’t mind.” Myungsoo interrupts.

“I’ll pray for your soul tonight,” Dongwoo put on a dramatic expression, sighing deeply while clutching to his chest.

“Hyung, I’ve seen that a lot from you.” Woohyun sneer. Both Sunggyu and Myungsoo laugh at Woohyun’s remark. TV must have taught him a lot.

 

That night, Myungsoo wakes up due to hiccups he heard. He tosses his head at Woohyun who sleeps beside him. He wanna know Woohyun’s feeling so he pretend to be asleep.

“Haraboeji… d-don’t you love me anymore? /sobs/ I don’t have anyone but you. Now if you throw me away, who’s gonna love me? Dongwoo hyung can’t love me forever. Myungie can’t play with me forever. Sunggyu hyung won’t stay here forever. Only you, haraboeji. Only you. I didn’t steal anything. Haraboeji once told me stealing is a crime so I’m holding to the words. I don’t wanna go to jail. I don’t want to leave haraboeji alone but why didn’t haraboeji believes me? You said you trusted me but you lie. Haraboeji lie to me. H-haraboeji… Hyunnie is h-hurt. Haraboeji hit me. Haraboeji d-don’t love m-me anymore…” he starts choking on his words. Besides him, Myungsoo already wet with tears. He wants to comfort Woohyun but he knows the latter needs some times alone. Just now before they sleep Woohyun seems to be normal. He acts cheerfully like he used to be and jokes a lot. Who knows what’s there in his little head. He must have reaches his limit. Little did they know, both the elders heard everything Woohyun said.  They are just coming back from Woohyun’s grandpa’s house to explain everything and to get his things from the house. Woohyun is going to live with Dongwoo now.

 

Flashback

 

“Haraboeji, what happened earlier…” Dongwoo starts.

“I know,” grandpa cut him. “But I’ve got no choice. He has to leave or people will take advantage from his kindness.”

“But that’s not the way to make him leave. You are just hurting him.” Dongwoo reasoned out.

“What choice do I have? He had to hate me or he’ll never leave,” Woohyun’s grandpa retorts.

“At least give him some good memories before he leaves.”

“What do you mean, Dongwoo?”

“I got an offer from a company in Seoul to work with them. I’ll be leaving in the next two days. Since this thing happened, I was thinking of bringing Woohyun with me. Is that okay with you, haraboeji?”

After a long silence, Woohyun’s grandpa nodded.

“Ne, take him with you. He’ll be sad without you. Don’t worry I’ll manage everything from here. About school, I’ll meet the principal tomorrow. I entrust him to you Dongwoo. You too Sunggyu. Take a good care of my Woohyun.”

 

Flashback ends

--2 days later--

 

Dongwoo and Sunggyu are done preparing their stuff. They are waiting for Woohyun to finish up packing. They broke the news to Woohyun yesterday and that boy was throwing fits saying he want to stay with his grandpa. Dongwoo had a hard time convincing Woohyun, resulting a sulky Woohyun for a whole day. Before they leave, they went to meet Woohyun’s grandpa and the old man’s eyes revolving with tears but still he refuses to let Woohyun know the truth. He wants a bright future for his grandson. Sunggyu pity on Woohyun because he knows the feeling of being unwanted and lack of love but he can do nothing about it. He just hopes for Woohyun to be strong though he knows that boy is vulnerable inside.

 

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

sorry for the late update..happy reading ^^