chapter twenty-one

today, tomorrow

Wooyoung is still recovering but with Nichkhun back in town again, it’s too easy to fall back into their familiar routine. Even though summer is too hot and humid for Wooyoung’s liking, Nichkhun’s presence makes it more bearable for Wooyoung to stand the heat. At least with Nichkhun around, the days don’t seem as lonely and dull as they were before.

It’s another lazy day for the pair, with no intention to do anything else aside from eating ice creams in front of the fan while watching television together. Since they’ve let most of the windows in the house opened for the breeze to enter, Wooyoung can hear distant murmurs of voices coming from outside. Summer break has started and the neighborhood is noticeably more alive and noisier with kids of all ages coming out to play.

“Ughh, so hot,” Wooyoung complains. His fruity popsicle is long gone and Wooyoung’s craving for more coolness again, but he’s too lazy to do anything about it. Even with the heat, Wooyoung leans on Nichkhun and the said guy doesn’t seem to mind. “Nichkhun, it’s so hot.”

“I’m sorry you can’t handle how hot I am,” Nichkhun replies in a teasing tone. Wooyoung snorts and hits Nichkhun lightly. “It’s really hot though,” Nichkhun agrees. It’s always hard to adapt to the heat after getting used to months of chilly weather. Nichkhun brings the fan closer and adjusts it to blow on Wooyoung’s side more. “Do you want to go outside and get fresh air?”

Wooyoung’s hesitant, but he is contemplating. Rather than be stuck in this house that feels nothing less like a sauna, it’s probably better to go out and get fresh air and look for something cold to drink no matter how lazy he is to move around right now. “Okay, but can we get a huge glass of cold bubble tea later?”

“Of course,” Nichkhun smiles as he helps Wooyoung get up. Wooyoung doesn’t feel like changing so he stays in his dark shorts and white tee.

Wooyoung resists the urge to whine when they’re outside and greeted by the eager, warm sun, but Nichkhun notices this so he drags Wooyoung into a clothing store and buys them a hat each. Wooyoung beams because the hats are of the same design but with different colors— black and blue for Wooyoung and black and red for Nichkhun himself.

“Couple hats!” Wooyoung cheers when they walked out of the store together. He fixes the hat onto his head and wears it around proudly. Wooyoung feels Nichkhun snaking his arm around his shoulders.

“It’s too easy to make you smile,” Nichkhun says. “Are you that happy?”

“Yes!” Wooyoung admits. “Now let the girl see and make her know where she stands.”

“What girl?” Nichkhun blinks in confusion.

“The girl at the bubble tea place! Remember?” Nichkhun shakes his head. “She has her eyes on you, I swear!”

Nichkhun laughs as he remembers something. “What. You still remember that? That was a long time ago, Wooyoung.”

“Of course I remember! I cannot accept people looking at you like that,” Wooyoung huffs, folding his arms on his chest.

“Even your jealousy is cute,” Nichkhun chuckles. He reaches his hand up and pinches Wooyoung’s nose.

“Do you find everything about me cute?”

“Mmm,” Nichkhun hums, nodding his head, his eyes smiling along with the grin on his face. Wooyoung pouts.

“I don’t want to be cute.”

“See, you don’t even have to try to be cute. You just naturally are.”

“Stop it.” Wooyoung covers his nose when Nichkhun pinches it again.

“Can’t. You’re too irresistible.” Wooyoung doesn’t say anything back, but he didn’t have to since they’ve arrived at the bubble tea place. Wooyoung looks around and doesn’t know if he should be relieved or disappointed when he doesn’t see the girl from before. Well, at least she won’t be checking Nichkhun out again. But he was ecstatic to show Nichkhun off to her…

“Whatever,” Wooyoung mutters to himself and rolls his eyes. “Khun, I want the melon flavor,” Wooyoung smiles widely, grabbing Nichkhun’s hand and swinging their interlocked fingers. As if he needed to use aegyo to get the drink he wanted, because Nichkhun will give him anything without a second thought, Wooyoung knows that. Wooyoung’s heart feels warm at that realization and only tightens his grip on Nichkhun’s hand. Wooyoung feels him squeezing back as Nichkhun orders two large glasses of melon flavored bubble tea.

“Where should we go after this?” Wooyoung asks.

Nichkhun wipes the sweat on the side of Wooyoung’s head before answering. “Let’s go to the park?”

“Okay. I hope there’s a shady place where we can sit and rest.”

“While enjoying the summer breeze? Yes please.”

“Sounds like a very Nichkhun-like thing to do, yes.”

Nichkhun chuckles a yes back at him. Nichkhun pays for the drinks and they both leave the place together hand in hand, uncaring of all the curious and judging eyes on them.

As they’re walking to get to the park, they passed by a tattoo parlor and Wooyoung remember his list. He takes a brief look at the parlor and turns his head back around at Nichkhun.

“I realized I haven’t thought of what tattoo I’m getting.”

“Hmm?” Nichkhun blinks and shifts his train of sight to the source of Wooyoung’s topic conversation. “Tattoo? You’re really getting it?”

“Yes. I don’t see why not?”

Nichkhun frowns lightly. “Have you even told your parents about it yet?”

“No…But hey, what they don’t know won’t hurt them?”

“What?” Nichkhun widens his eyes in disbelief, a look of disapproval in them. “You’re gonna have to ask for their permission first if you’re getting a tattoo.”

“Why?” Wooyoung asks, almost whining. “I’m 21. I’m old enough to decide on these kinds of things on my own.”

“Tell your hyung at least?”

It’s Wooyoung’s turn to widen his eyes this time. “Are you crazy? He will scold me and tell my parents to ground me for months and then we won’t be able to go anywhere anymore. Do you want that?”

“Doesn’t sound bad. We’ll find things to do at your house.”

“Ughh. You’re no fun. I’m going to get the tattoo without telling you.”

“Hey, what happened to always sharing stuff with each other?”

“Putting it on hold for now,” Wooyoung says smugly.

There’s a lot of people in the park, mostly families enjoying their leisure time together. Kids are seen running around the place, playing kites with their older family members and even playing with water to cool themselves from the heat. Wooyoung and Nichkhun walk further into the park and spot a huge, shady tree away from the crowd but near to the manmade lake. Nichkhun takes a seat first and leans against the tree bark, and then pats the space in between his legs as an invitation for Wooyoung to sit there. Wooyoung does so, leaning his back comfortably on Nichkhun’s chest.

“Nichkhun,” Wooyoung calls out after a few moments of comfortable silence. Nichkhun hums in response. “It’s still hot,” Wooyoung says, using his free hand to flap and make cool air with his shirt and pressing the cold plastic glass onto his cheek.

“It is still kinda hot,” Nichkhun agrees easily. He takes off his hat and fans Wooyoung with it. “But it’s good to be out.”

“I guess.”

“Wooyoung-ah?”

Wooyoung doesn’t respond the first time, but when Nichkhun shakes him lightly to get his attention the second time, Wooyoung tilts his head up slightly to look at Nichkhun as he slurps on his drink. “What?”

“Let’s not hide anything from each other, okay?” Nichkhun suggests softly, wrapping his arm around Wooyoung’s waist.

“Is this about the tattoo thingy?” Wooyoung asks knowingly. He was only joking about not telling Nichkhun, but didn’t think Nichkhun would take it seriously, didn’t think it would awake the feeling of insecurity in him. Wooyoung takes Nichkhun’s hand in his and squeezes it gently. “Of course I’ll tell you. Did you really think I have the guts to go there and have them tattooed my skin all alone?”

“I just wanted to make sure…”

“Silly Khunnie,” Wooyoung smiles. He absentmindedly plays with Nichkhun’s fingers and watches the other people playing around the park from afar. Feeling the cold silver band on Nichkhun’s ring finger, Wooyoung automatically reaches out for his that he hung on his necklace. Since he’s lost a lot of weight, the ring doesn’t fit on his skinny fingers anymore.

Thinking about the rings, Wooyoung suddenly remembers something. “You won’t hide anything from me?”

“Nope.”

Wooyoung sighs deeply and quietly asks “Are you engaged?” Nichkhun immediately holds on Wooyoung tighter. Wooyoung takes a deep breath in and braces himself for whatever’s about to come. It’s their first time ever to openly talk about this since they’ve been avoiding this topic for as much as they can before.

“Not yet.” Nichkhun’s voice is equally just as quiet. “They’ve pushed the plan to a different date.”

That means it’s still on, Wooyoung thinks to himself. Despite feeling sad and a little heartbroken, Wooyoung manages a smile. “Tell me what kind of person she is.”

“What?”

“Come on, tell me,” Wooyoung smiles again. Fortunately, Nichkhun’s hold on him prevents him from trembling. It will never not hurt having Nichkhun talk about someone else, having these thoughts of Nichkhun ending up with someone else and be all happy without Wooyoung, but since Wooyoung will have to let Nichkhun go to someone else someday, he might as well get to know what kind of person she is— whether she’s a good person or not, and make sure she’ll bring nothing but happiness and joy into Nichkhun’s life. “What’s her name?” Wooyoung tries again when Nichkhun doesn’t answer his question.

“Uhh. Her name is Rachel,” Nichkhun answers with hesitance.

“Rachel’s a pretty name.”

“Wooyoung…”

“Is she nice?” Wooyoung ignores Nichkhun’s silent plea. “Is she pretty? I bet she’s pretty. How does she look like? Wait, wait, let me do the guessing. Tall, slim figure? Mmm, big doe eyes? Long wavy brown hair? Luscious—”

“Wooyoung.”

“—lips? She must come from a wealthy family as well, huh? Talented in all different areas? Does she play the piano too? Fluent in four or five languages? Very good cook—”

Nichkhun shuts Wooyoung up from his rambling by pressing his lips onto Wooyoung’s. Wooyoung is taken aback but finds himself responding to the kiss, his hand a desperate hold against Nichkhun’s cheek. Slowly, Wooyoung feels himself calming down, the movement of Nichkhun’s lips against his easing all the worries and tension away. When Nichkhun finally pulls away, Wooyoung flushes red remembering they’re in a public place. Nichkhun just kissed him in a public place.

“Khun,” Wooyoung says sternly— disapproving, reprimanding but at the same time, not really. Nichkhun presses his nose on Wooyoung’s temple, his mouth lightly brushing against Wooyoung’s cheek when Wooyoung refuses to meet his gaze, face still burning from embarrassment.

“Silly Wooyoungie,” Nichkhun playfully mocks and Wooyoung feels Nichkhun smiling. Wooyoung pouts. “Rachel is exactly what you described of her. She’s— perfect.” Wooyoung feels his heart sinking down along with him when he slumps more onto Nichkhun. “I just don’t think she’s the one for me,” Nichkhun whispers, as if he’s telling his secret to Wooyoung. “I just want to be with you. You’re the only one I want.”

Something inside of Wooyoung stirs, sending the feelings bubbling up his throat and out in the form of silent laughter, his shoulders lightly shaking along. “For how long are you going to want me?”

“Eternally?”

“Sweet talker. You know I don’t have an eternal to offer to you. Someday, you’re going to have to accept that,” Wooyoung says, gently patting his hand on Nichkhun’s cheek. “Although the idea of seeing you better off with someone else hurts me right now, someday, I’m going to have to accept that as well— that it’s more important to see you live your life happily more than anything because it will hurt me even more to see you all sad and broken.”

Nichkhun sighs heavily and presses a kiss on Wooyoung’s shoulder. “You’re going to be okay.”

“So are you,” Wooyoung emphasizes.

“Hey, maybe we’ll both be okay.”

Wooyoung smiles, more into comforting Nichkhun’s thoughts than assuring him. “Yeah,” he says, both of their gazes now focused on the dark but calm water of the lake, lost in their own thoughts.

Yeah, maybe we’ll be okay.

+

Or maybe not, Wooyoung decides, when he wakes up one morning and feels unusual painful throbbing in his chest.

+

That day, Nichkhun comes to fetch Wooyoung in the morning. In fact, it’s still so early in the morning when Nichkhun wakes Wooyoung up and forces him to get a quick shower. With his eyes still half-closed, Wooyoung lets Nichkhun drags him into the bathroom.

“What are we doing? I’m so sleepy,” Wooyoung whines. “It’s still so early in the morning, Khun.”

“Early? It’s half past ten. It’s not early anymore.”

Wooyoung grumbles and feels more awake when Nichkhun pushes a toothbrush into Wooyoung’s mouth. “Such a morning person.”

“Do you really want to spend the day sleeping in?” Nichkhun asks. Wooyoung thinks about it and feels like it isn’t such a bad of an idea. They could be cuddling in bed doing nothing and just enjoying each other’s presence. Wooyoung stares at Nichkhun through the reflection of the mirror, and then spits into the sink and cleanses his mouth.

“Mmm…I mean…why not? We can just cuddle in bed and sleep and do nothing.”

Nichkhun shakes his head in mock disappointment. “So lazy.”

“What?” Wooyoung exclaims, unable to accept Nichkhun’s accusation. “Excuse me, I was just trying to spend quality time with you.”

“By sleeping?”

Cuddling in bed,” Wooyoung corrects him.

“That’s your idea of spending quality time?”

Wooyoung pouts and pushes Nichkhun out of the bathroom before closing the door. “Sounds like a good plan to me,” he mutters, but Nichkhun must have heard him anyway because Wooyoung hears him say “We can cuddle later, but right now, I have something to show you first” through the door with a smile in his voice.

“Whatever,” Wooyoung replies grumpily. Not getting enough sleep and having to wake up so early (according to Wooyoung) in the morning easily ruins his mood. It’s not that he’s mad at Nichkhun or anything. It’s just he’s feeling a bit sulky that he won’t get to get some more sleep, or cuddle in bed with Nichkhun anytime soon. But at least he’ll still be spending some time with Nichkhun again today, so he just has to it up and get it over with.

Wooyoung strips off his clothes and gets into the shower. He lets the warm water run down his body and feels the grumpiness slowly ebbing away. Wooyoung sighs quietly and allows his body and mind to relax again. Just when the sleepiness is approaching again, Wooyoung jolts awake when Nichkhun opens the door and barges in with Wooyoung’s towel in his hand.

“Hurry up!”

“Yahh!” They shout at the same time. Wooyoung quickly pulls the shower curtain close but Nichkhun pulls it open again just as quick. “Yahhhhhh!” Wooyoung grabs the shower head and aims it at Nichkhun as he covers his body using the shower curtain. Nichkhun actually squeaks and jumps, trying to avoid the water as much as he can.

“Hey, hey, hey!”

“Get out!”

“Okay, okay!” Nichkhun surrenders. He hangs the towel and walks out, closing the door shut. “I didn’t see anything.” Wooyoung hears him say. Wooyoung closes his eyes, bites his lower lip and clenches his hand into a fist to hold in his embarrassment. “Not anything I haven’t seen before anyway.”

“Nichkhun Horvejkul!!”

Nichkhun’s amused laugh fills the air.

 

 


After eating a simple brunch, a series of childish silent treatments and pouting later, both of them finally leave the house. They’re walking side by side, but Wooyoung’s still upset(read: embarrassed) at what happened earlier on so he doesn’t let Nichkhun hold his hand. When Nichkhun tries again for the nth time, Wooyoung quickly pulls his hand away and hides it from Nichkhun’s reach.

“Aww come on. Are you still angry? Hmm? Hmm?” Nichkhun prods annoyingly.

“Huh,” Wooyoung looks away but Nichkhun’s not one to give up, apparently. He moves to the other side of Wooyoung to face him again. “Hi,” he tries.

“Go away,” Wooyoung says. Of course he doesn’t mean it though. He’s just suddenly curious as to what Nichkhun is going to do to get an apology from him.

“Okay, I’ll go back to Thailand.”

Wooyoung widens his eyes in disbelief. “Nichkhun!”

“Just kidding,” Nichkhun chuckles, but it turns into a yelp when Wooyoung pinches him on his arm before walking away in a quick pace. Wooyoung ignores Nichkhun when he hears Nichkhun calling for him. “Okay, okay. That wasn’t funny. I’m sorry.”

“It wasn’t! You’re a bad joker.”

“Hey, that’s not true. I made you laugh when I told you that Chile and gangster joke. Do you remember?”

Of course Wooyoung does and thinking about it again almost made him laugh but he manages to hold it in with the clearing of his throat. “Don’t make me laugh, I’m angry at you!” he says even though at this point, both of them know he’s not.

“Okay, I’m sorry. I was wrong,” Nichkhun apologizes, hands glued together in front of him as he does so. “You were taking too much time in the shower.”

“You could have knocked and asked!” Wooyoung folds his arms on his chest.

“Wooyoungie~”

“What?”

“Don’t be mad. I said I was sorry!”

“Whatever.”

“If you’re not going to stop pouting, I will kiss you.”

“If I stop pouting, you will still kiss me.”

“Oh, you know me too well, Mr. Smarty pants.”

“Go away.”

“How about no?” Nichkhun winks and pulls Wooyoung closer by the waist as they continue walking to the bus stop.

“Pshh,” Wooyoung disapproves but doesn’t push Nichkhun away. He bites his lower lip to hide his smile. He knows he doesn’t have the heart to get angry or ignore Nichkhun. “Where are we going anyway?”

“My house.”

“Your house?” Wooyoung raises an eyebrow up. “What are we going to do there?” Nichkhun doesn’t answer but he gives another wink at Wooyoung. “Omo. Are you suggesting something with that?”

“You’ll see when we get there.”

Wooyoung squints his eyes at Nichkhun in suspicion. “So secretive?”

“Indeed. I’m enjoying this very much,” Nichkhun teases.

“Eii, of all places, we just had to go to your house. Not like there’s anything fun to do there,” Wooyoung mocks. Truthfully, he’s quite intrigued but he won’t let Nichkhun win just yet. Wooyoung tries to keep his curiosity in check even when they finally hopped on the bus, but Nichkhun’s secretive and teasing smile makes it all harder for him not to ask.

“Okay seriously, what are we going to do here?” Wooyoung asks again after they reached their destination. He briefly greets the security guard and wonders why he’s always on shift whenever Wooyoung’s there to visit because it is still kind of creepy to be stared and judged silently by the middle-aged man. Wooyoung wills the feeling to dissipate and enters the elevator with Nichkhun. It’s only when the doors ding closed that Nichkhun turns and answers him.

“Something you’ve been wanting to do~” Nichkhun singsongs. Wooyoung arches an eyebrow up and follows Nichkhun to his apartment lot.

“Something I’ve been wanting to do…? What’s that? You mean, we’re actually going to cuddle but just not in my bed but yours?”

Nichkhun laughs, finger swiftly pressing the code and the door clicks open. “What is with you and cuddling, Wooyoung?”

“What?” Wooyoung shrieks defensively. “Cuddles are nice, okay?” Wooyoung walks in and drops himself on the huge sofa. “Now what do you want? Would you now please show me what you wanted to show me, oh dear darling?”

“Did you just called me darling?” Nichkhun asks in amusement as he stands right in front of where Wooyoung’s sitting.

“I did.”

“Well then babe, allow me,” Nichkhun bows a little and offers his hand at Wooyoung. “To bring you upstairs.”

“Upstairs?” Wooyoung takes Nichkhun’s hand and allows Nichkhun to pull him up and walks him to the stairs. “Isn’t that where the bed is?”

Nichkhun’s shoulders shook with pleasant laughter as they pad up the stairs. “Now aren’t you the one suggesting something here?”

Wooyoung feels his cheeks heating up. “I wasn’t suggesting anything! I was asking a question, Nichkhun.”

“Right, right,” Nichkhun dismisses him, only to add in “Yes, it’s where the bed is if you want to do something on it later.”

“God, Khun, can you not make it sound so erted?”

“I meant something like cuddling and sleeping, Wooyoung. But I like where your mind wandered off to.”

Wooyoung’s cheeks burned even more. “I don’t like you anymore.”

“Aww,” Nichkhun coos. “Bet you don’t love me any less though,” he smiles and pulls Wooyoung’s arms to loop around Nichkhun’s neck as he takes backward steps that lead them into the bedroom.

“You are right and I hate it when you are right,” Wooyoung pouts, but lets Nichkhun gives him a quick peck on the lips. “Now what are we going to do?”

Nichkhun beams, as if just remembering what they’re really here for, and Wooyoung tries not to stare too much. “Okay, step forward,” Nichkhun pulls on Wooyoung’s hands and guides him to move forward. Wooyoung does so without complaining even though he’s questioning Nichkhun with his eyes.

His gaze quickly moves to the once empty and white wall, now painted with colorful stripes and polka dots. It’s decorated with pictures of them and Wooyoung’s sketches arranged randomly but almost filling the whole space. Wooyoung drops his jaw open in silent awe and disbelief as he approaches the wall, fingers brushing against the photos. He didn’t think they had this much memories together. He’s seen some of them before, but most of them Wooyoung didn’t really know when Nichkhun had snapped them. There’s a picture of Wooyoung concentrating on his sketches, a picture of him laughing along with his brothers, and even one of Wooyoung sleeping.

“When did you get this?” Wooyoung presses his fingers on a backside picture of him balancing on the train rail with his arms spread sideways. Ahead of him, the sun is setting in, the last bits of ray highlighting Wooyoung’s blonde hair perfectly. Without waiting for Nichkhun’s answer, he asks a different question. “Did you make this all by yourself?” Wooyoung takes a look at the pictures, carefully trying to register everything into his mind.

“Yes,” Nichkhun answers. “Wait, I’ll be back in a sec, okay?” he says, and Wooyoung feels Nichkhun pressing a kiss on his cheek but he only responds with an absentminded nod as he’s still busy trying to take everything in. Wooyoung smiles when he realizes the sketches are from his missing sketchbook.

Nichkhun comes back after a while. “Wooyoung.”

“Khun, this is amazing. I—” Wooyoung doesn’t get to finish his sentence for it is replaced by surprise seeing Nichkhun in a party hat and hands holding a cake with lighted candles. “Khun?” Wooyoung laughs breathily in confusion.

“I know it’s long overdue, and I’m still sorry I couldn’t be here for your birthday but would you forgive me and celebrate your birthday again with me?”

A huge grin makes its way onto Wooyoung’s face as he nods his head. Nichkhun grins too and starts singing a birthday song for Wooyoung. Once he’s done, he asks Wooyoung to make a wish first before allowing him to blow the candles out. Wooyoung only realizes the picnic mat laid on the floor when Nichkhun puts the cake down on it. There’s even a picnic basket ready on the mat.

“When did you—?” Wooyoung asks in amazement because he hadn’t noticed Nichkhun preparing everything. He must have been so absorbed with pictures and sketches on the wall. “What are we doing?”

“We’re having a picnic!” Nichkhun cheers. Wooyoung laughs, but takes a seat on the mat.

In the house?” The picnic mat’s facing the wall so Wooyoung can still take a look at the pictures if he wanted to.

“Yes,” Nichkhun says happily. He takes out the snacks from the picnic basket and lay them out on the mat. “It’s a pretty view, right? I’d take you to a picnic outside, but the weather . At least it’s colder here.”

Wooyoung has to agree about the view. The sunlight streams in from the huge windows from the side of the wall, brightening up parts of the wall and floor, and Wooyoung enjoys both the warm rays and cold air from the air-conditioner. Most importantly, he enjoys Nichkhun’s company.

“Thank you. It’s perfect,” Wooyoung gives a genuine smile. “You’re really trying to make up for the lost times, eh? Did you prepare all of these too?” Wooyoung points at the snacks.

“Of course,” Nichkhun says proudly. “Have a bite,” he offers the sandwich.

“It’s good,” Wooyoung nods in approval. “But can we eat the cake now?”

Nichkhun laughs and slices the cake for Wooyoung. “Better eat it now. It’s ice-cream.”

“Ice-cream cake? Wow, aren’t you the best,” Wooyoung links his arm with Nichkhun’s and leans his cheek on Nichkhun’s shoulder.

“Yeah, look,” Nichkhun shows Wooyoung the cake. “I bought this from your mom’s bakery.”

“What? Really?” Wooyoung straightens up and takes a careful look at the cake. Sure enough, it’s one of his mom’s usual cake designs. “I didn’t even notice you buying it!”

“Well, I sent Chansung to buy and put it in my fridge while we were out somewhere.”

“You’re a sneaky one.” Wooyoung opens his mouth and lets Nichkhun feeds him the cake. “Ah, this is really good,” he says and asks for more cake from Nichkhun.

“Anyway, what did you wish for?”

“If I tell you, it’s not gonna come true.”

“If you don’t tell me, who’s gonna make it come true?”

Wooyoung smiles and throws his arms around Nichkhun’s neck. “How do you make sense all the time?”

Nichkhun shrugs. “Maybe I’m quite the Mr. Smarty pants myself?”

Wooyoung laughs. “Will you play a song for me?”

“Hmm? A song? Now?” Wooyoung nods. “On the piano?” Another nod from Wooyoung. “Very well then, if that's what you want.” Nichkhun puts the plate of cake aside and stands up to approach and sit on the stool. Wooyoung eats more cake and patiently waits for Nichkhun to start. Once he hears the notes reverberating in the room, Wooyoung listens carefully and enjoys Nichkhun’s smoothing voice filling the air, singing a song in foreign language— Japanese? Nevertheless, Wooyoung enjoys it the same, appreciating the mellow melody and Nichkhun’s voice.

“As expected from the piano prodigy,” Wooyoung claps his hands. “You’re so fluent in Japanese.”

Nichkhun chuckles and calls Wooyoung over to sit with him. “Yeah. I studied Japanese. Now play me a song, too” Nichkhun says.

“Me?” Wooyoung points a finger at himself. Nichkhun nods enthusiastically. “I’m not as good as you.”

“I know it isn’t as bad as you made it out to be either. Heard from your mom you’ve been learning and playing a lot.”

Wooyoung suddenly feels nervous. It’s true he’s been practicing a lot, choosing a song to learn after much thoughts but now he’s not sure anymore. He picked the song for him to play for Nichkhun, but will Nichkhun like it? What if he doesn’t?

“I know I will,” Nichkhun brushes an assuring hand down Wooyoung’s side and lets his arm wrapped around Wooyoung’s back. Wooyoung blushes because he might have wondered his thoughts aloud.

“Well, okay,” Wooyoung gives in. “But you can’t laugh at me okay?”

“Why would I laugh at you? But if I really do, feel free to hit me.”

“You can’t take that back,” Wooyoung deadpans, fingers pressing the keys to check the notes. Wooyoung clears his throat and swallows loudly. His voice and the sound of the piano playing breaks the silence as Wooyoung starts singing.

Even if Wooyoung’s done this a lot and gotten praises from his family, it’s still his first time performing in front of Nichkhun. Wooyoung tries not to mind the intent stare from Nichkhun too much and focuses on singing instead. When he’s done, silence consumed and Wooyoung feels his heart beating fast from nervousness as he waits for Nichkhun to say something. Anything.

“This song…”

Wooyoung lifts his head up and smiles at Nichkhun unsurely. “D-Do you like it? I picked it f-for you.”

“For me?” The look in Nichkhun’s eyes is something Wooyoung has never seen before. They sparkle from unshed tears and for a second, Wooyoung panics a little.

“Why, why? Is it not good? I’m sorry, I’ll pick another song and play it for you. I’m sorry. I—”

“It’s beautiful,” Nichkhun interrupts and locks his arms around Wooyoung. Slightly dumbfounded, Wooyoung hugs Nichkhun back.

“You mean, you like it?”

“I love it. It’s amazing— you’re amazing. I’m the fortunate one. I don’t even want to imagine how it would be like if I hadn’t met you.”

“Me neither.”

“Wooyoung-ah…”

“Yes?”

“You—You’ll be okay, right?” Nichkhun sounds sad, scared and almost broken. It’s a side of Nichkhun Wooyoung has never seen before. Nichkhun was always the optimistic one, providing comfort and strength to Wooyoung and encouraging him when Wooyoung feels so low. Now, Nichkhun’s the one insecure and frightened of everything, it makes Wooyoung wants to hold Nichkhun until all his fears are gone.

“Mmm,” Wooyoung answers simply. He rubs his hand on Nichkhun’s back when he hears him sniffling.

“If you ever get a new heart, will you still love me the same?” Wooyoung frowns at Nichkhun’s question. He pulls away so he can look at Nichkhun‘s face. “Or will your love die along with your heart?”

Wooyoung gives a small smile. “What kind of question is that?” His hand holds on to one of Nichkhun’s while the other one caresses Nichkhun’s cheek. “Of course I will. No matter how many hearts I get, I will still fall in love with you all over again. Every each time of it. Just like I always do.”

Nichkhun returns the smile and grabs Wooyoung’s hand on his cheek. “Okay.”

“If I don’t, you’ll make me fall in love with you again, right?” Nichkhun nods. “Good then. I don’t see the problem here. Besides, I don’t need a new heart right now.”

“Don’t jinx it,” Nichkhun frowns. Wooyoung chuckles.

“What I need right now is more cake. Did it melt?” Wooyoung stands up from the stool and hurriedly gets back to the mat. “Oh no, it melted! Khun, save the cake!”

Nichkhun laughs and takes the cake. “Alright, I’ll just put it back in the freezer.”

“Hurry, hurry!” Wooyoung urges, his hands on Nichkhun’s shoulders as he pushes him to hurry up. Nichkhun opens the freezer and carefully puts the cake back inside.

“Look at what you’ve done,” Nichkhun shows Wooyoung the cream smeared on his fingers.

“It wasn’t me,” Wooyoung blinks innocently. Shrieks and laughter erupted in the air when Nichkhun tries to wipe the cream stains on Wooyoung’s face. “I’m sorry!” Wooyoung grabs Nichkhun’s wrist and tries to prevent him from smearing the cream on his cheek. Nichkhun actually takes pity on Wooyoung and stops, the cream off his thumb and finger before washing his hands.

“We can eat the cake again in about fifteen minutes,” Nichkhun glances at the clock. He’s saying something else but Wooyoung’s past listening anymore especially when he sees the cream on Nichkhun’s lips and he can’t stop staring. When Nichkhun finally notices the cream and tries to it off, Wooyoung quickly pushes Nichkhun against the fridge, unintentionally hard that Nichkhun hits on it with a loud bang. “Wooyoung?” Nichkhun stares with widened eyes, a little shock and confused at Wooyoung’s sudden move.

“It’s mine,” he says. As soon as Wooyoung said it, the heat and embarrassment quickly rises to his face, suddenly realizing how stupid he’s being right now.

What?”

Instead of wasting time explaining it with words, Wooyoung leans forward and closes the gap between their mouths. He takes Nichkhun’s upper lip in between his, lightly tracing it with his tongue and cleaning off the cream. He does the same to Nichkhun’s lower lip before slowly pulling away. The embarrassment comes to Wooyoung again when he realized what he just did.

“Umm,” Wooyoung swallows thickly. Nichkhun still looks shocked at what Wooyoung just did, but the grin is slowly appearing on his face. “Yeah, I’m gonna wait upstairs,” Wooyoung announces, rushing back upstairs without even looking back at Nichkhun anymore. He mentally scolds himself, stomping his feet on the ground and ruffling his hair because the embarrassment is just too much for him to take. Hearing footsteps climbing the stairs, Wooyoung quickly sits down on the mat and stuffs food into his mouth.

From the corners of his eyes, Wooyoung sees Nichkhun taking a seat next to him. He’s eating now as well and neither of them say anything to break the silence. Wooyoung gasps when Nichkhun suddenly lays his head on Wooyoung’s lap.

“What are you doing?” Wooyoung asks, straightening his legs and Nichkhun finds a more comfortable position.

“This is a must thing to do during picnics.”

Wooyoung rolls his eyes but doesn’t force Nichkhun to get up. He’s thankful Nichkhun doesn’t bring up about the kiss, so he quietly eats his food and runs his fingers through Nichkhun’s hair.

“Hey Wooyoung, I think this is yours too.”

Wooyoung looks down and bursts out laughing at Nichkhun wiggling his eyebrows suggestively with a stick of pepero sticking out his mouth. “What! I’m not gonna eat that!” Nichkhun flinches from Wooyoung’s fingers pressing and tickling his sides, but Wooyoung ends up eating the pepero anyway and gives Nichkhun his pepero kiss.

a/n hello! haven't updated for a while. i'm relieved but sad at the same time to end this. only 2 chapters left. hope y'all are doing fine! thanks for commenting/subscribing/upvoting! <3