Confusing Chunji

Gay and and Falling for a Homophobe

Chunji felt bad, what the hell had he done to L.Joe in his dream to surprise him? Chunji didn’t have a clue, not knowing what else to do, he didn’t think. He just acted on impulse, L.Joe was walking a little ahead of him and he put his hands on L.Joe’s waist, almost as if he was asking permission. L.Joe froze on the spot and slowly turned his head to see Chunji’s face quite close, but a little higher than his own. Chunji moved his arms so that they were now fully around L.Joe’s waist and he mumbled “I’m sorry for whatever I did in the dream, okay? So please don’t avoid me…I’ll be sad” L.Joe’s heart clenched and his mind raced, *this is like what he did in my dream, why aren’t I struggling? I should be afraid shouldn’t I? He’s a guy and he’s hugging me, sure he’s hugged me before but never like this…it feels…nice. What’s going on with me!?* L.Joe brought himself back to the present and found he was smiling “Chunji, its fine. There’s nothing you need to apologise for, it was just a dream and you didn’t do anything…bad” Chunji pulled L.Joe around so that they were facing one another, beaming he asked “Really?” L.Joe laughed at Chunji’s over the top happiness, “Yes, really. So don’t be sad okay? Cause otherwise I’ll be sad too” L.Joe turned around grinning and resumed walking down the footpath to their school, leaving a dazed but happy Chunji standing by himself.

 

 

Chunji jogged to catch up with his friend, walking through the school gates together he suddenly remembered something about school that he couldn’t avoid…his teacher Lee Joon. L.Joe looked over to Chunji and saw the older gulp, *oh right, what’s he gonna do when he sees teacher Joon?* L.Joe unsurely reached over and gave Chunji a pat on the back “You’ll be fine, just act like nothing’s changed. Like what he said in his letter” Chunji nodded but said nothing until they found their friends, L.Joe was thinking about Lee Joon and he could feel the mysterious twinging again, he was irritated that this feeling wouldn’t stop especially when he didn’t know what caused it. *I’ll ask one of the guys about it* (he didn’t want to ask Chunji…) L.Joe walked over to Neil who was standing by himself against the wall of the main building, “Hey Neil” he started, wondering how he should ask “Yeah, what’s up L.Joe?” the skinny boy with shaggy light brown hair gave him a cute grin, L.Joe felt a little better and was glad he chose to talk to Neil. “Uh, well I had this dream…and in this dream, this person kisses me…what do you think that means?” L.Joe prepared himself for the incoming fits of giggles that were sure to erupt from Neil any second now, but instead he heard a thoughtful hum. “Well did it feel wrong when this person kissed you?” Neil asked, head tilted in curiosity, L.Joe shook his head slowly “That’s the thing it didn’t feel wrong, it felt right. But that’s not the only thing that’s been bothering me, when I hear about people liking this person I feel this kind of twinge, what is it?”

Neil chuckled, “Well if the kiss felt right and you didn’t push them away in the dream, you have a twinging feeling when you hear about others being ‘with’ this person, then I’d say that little twinge is jealousy. You like this person…So, who’s the lucky girl?” L.Joe’s face went a prominent shade of crimson and he suddenly took a great interest in his shoes, Neil’s face lit up and said “So it’s a boy!?! Wow, Chunji turned a homophobe gay” Neil laughed “Don’t worry L.Joe, your secret’s safe with me” and Neil smirked and winked before walking away to join the rest of the group. L.Joe stood there with his mouth hanging open (and almost swallowed a fly) he liked Chunji!? No way! He was a homophobe, yeah he had been getting over his fears gradually but that didn’t justify him falling for his male friend. *It’s probably just a faze, I read somewhere that 10% of all people experience homoual feelings at some time in their lives…That’s gotta be it!* (again trying to deny anything pointing to the idea of actually becoming gay…stupid L.Joe)

L.Joe looked up from his shoes only to have the first thing he saw be Chunji’s laughing face, that laugh sounded like music to his ears and that smile looked as radiant as the sun, wait what?? L.Joe couldn’t help it though, now that Neil had clarified his feelings and what that annoying twinge was, he was all the more aware of everything Chunji did. When Chunji’s hand brushed past his arm when at their lockers or when Chunji’s knee bumped his own when they sat in a circle in music. Little things like that, Chunji was doing a very convincing job of acting like he was completely oblivious of Lee Joon’s feelings and L.Joe had to remind himself that Chunji was always that friendly (and slightly flirty) with their teacher when he saw Chunji doing his usual ‘lean on the teachers desk’ routine. *Let the twinging feeling begin* L.joe thought and successfully kept a scowl from developing on his face, Chunji came back to the circle and sat down beside L.Joe again, Chunji seemed a little deflated though. L.Joe nudged Chunji’s arm “Hey, you okay?” Chunji gave a weak smile and said “It’s just hard to pretend I don’t know how he feels, but I’m determined not to let it get awkward” This time Chunji actually smiled and L.Joe felt a warm feeling well up inside of him, *Don’t blush! Don’t blush! Don’t blush!* he chanted in his head like a mantra…it didn’t work. The heat built up in L.Joe’s face before he felt it explode with colour…*Dammit!*

 

The rest of the day was going to be difficult for both boys; Chunji and L.Joe were both fighting to keep their feelings in check. So far, it wasn’t going so well and L.Joe had caught Chunji staring (he wasn’t sure why) but the only reason he caught Chunji staring was because L.Joe wanted to look at Chunji. Lunch finally arrived and the six of them trudged into the cafeteria and effectively had to wade through the ocean of fangirls and boys to get to their table at the back of the large room. When the screams of “I love you Chunji!” “Neil and Cap is the cutest couple ever!” and “ChangRick forever!” died down, the six friends began talking, Cap, Neil, Changjo and Ricky doing their best not to give into their ‘gay instincts’…

And then Ricky did it…the most awkward thing he could possibly bring up, “So how are your bets going?” Chunji and L.Joe shuffled away from each other ever so slightly and it was silent at their table until L.Joe said “You won your bet with me Ricky, I’m not homophobic anymore…” Five sets of eyes bulged and L.Joe flushed, fiddling with his food as an excuse not to look up. Ricky was grinning like the Cheshire cat and turned to Chunji “Well done Chunji, but Chunji…have you lost your bet?” Ricky smirked and Chunji merely looked at Ricky with a blank expression “Yeah, I’ve lost my bet…I didn’t kiss L.Joe. I wouldn’t kiss someone who’s uncomfortable with the idea just for a bet” Ricky’s smile grew ever wider and he said to L.Joe “Well you both lost your bets, do you want to know what your punishment is?” The two boys eyes widened, they looked at each other and then back at their devious friend. Ricky didn’t say anything for a moment until the suspense had built up over the entire table, “L.Joe, you have to kiss Chunji…”

“WHAT!?” Chunji exploded, “You’ve got to be kidding Ricky!” but Ricky just chuckled “Nope, you both lost your bets and that is your punishment” Chunji was almost whining “But that would be so awkward!” Ricky blinked his eyes in that oh so innocent way and replied “How so? You’re not a homophobe and neither is L.Joe anymore, so what’s the problem?” Chunji was about ready to get up and hit Ricky, this was going too far! “L.Joe shouldn’t have to do something he doesn’t want to” Chunji snapped and Ricky simply smiled. L.Joe couldn’t take it anymore “Oh for crying out loud who cares!?” he said loudly, all eyes on their table looking at him. “Ricky, it’s just one kiss right?” the boy opposite L.Joe nodded with a very prominent smirk on his face, Chunji spoke up “L.Joe you don’t have to, Ricky’s just being an ” the blush on his cheeks blatantly obvious now. L.Joe arched one eyebrow, “Um Chunji, it kind of sounds like you’re the one who doesn’t want to do this, am I right?” Chunji floundered for an answer but only came up with “N-No it’s not that, I just- ! What the hell am I saying!?” L.Joe sighed with a small smile *Chunji really is cute when he’s flustered*

 Chunji was still babbling and throwing accusations across the table at Ricky who was now hiding behind Changjo. L.Joe was getting fed up with the whole situation “Ugh screw it!” he said and then grabbed Chunji by the shoulders and forcing the other to face him. L.Joe put one hand behind Chunji’s neck and pulled him closer until the distance between them was gone. Chunji didn’t even have time to react before a sweet tasting pair of lips crashed into his. Chunji gave in easily and found himself kissing back, two words formed all his thoughts and confusion at once *Oh !* Chunji found himself disappointed when L.Joe pulled away, leaving him breathless and was shocked when L.Joe deadpanned “There, I did it Ricky. Happy?” Chunji felt his heart being crushed and Ricky’s response barely registered “Happy? L.Joe I am impressed!” Ricky laughed and there was a small applause from the others. *He only did it for the bet…he’ll never actually like me. He didn’t want to kiss me, otherwise he wouldn’t have cared what Ricky and the others thought…* Chunji turned to L.Joe and tapped him on the shoulder, whispering “L.Joe you shouldn’t have done that…” L.Joe hid his surprise over his own actions and shrugged “Why?” Chunji could feel tears threatening and said quietly “Because I’m gay” L.Joe stared as the older stood up and started walking away.

L.Joe’s eyes rounded like dinner plates as he felt himself lose control of his lower jaw *Chunji’s gay!?!* L.Joe could hear the thump of his heartbeat in his ears *! I sounded so insensitive just then. Oh crap, he probably already has someone he likes…and I just kissed him! I’m such an idiot*L.Joe hung his head with a pained expression making its way onto his handsome features, *that was probably the only chance I was ever gonna have at kissing him and I blew it…Crap!* L.Joe opened his eyes and watched the blonde boy take long strides in the opposite direction, Chunji didn’t look back, L.Joe felt his heart in his throat, he had messed up his chances before he even had any… just great! L.joe let his head hit the table and Neil’s voice penetrated the air, saying out loud what L.Joe didn’t want to hear but knew was true “You should’ve told him you like him” he tutted and the others all nodded in agreement with a knowing look adorning all four faces.

Chunji felt broken, he didn’t go back to class that day, and instead he headed back to L.Joe’s house and got his stuff. Mrs Lee was surprised to see him back during school hours and saw that he looked sad “What’s wrong Chanhee dear?” Chunji had held back the tears for a good hour but now they came gushing out like a waterfall, he fell in a heap in Mrs Lee’s warm, comforting arms and when he could talk again he mumbled “I really like this person- No, I love this person. My friend had a bet with us that I wouldn’t be able to kiss the one I like…my friend was right. I couldn’t kiss my crush for a bet, it just didn’t seem right. But he said as punishment the one I like would have to kiss me, I said they didn’t have to but, they kissed me and then asked the others if they were ‘happy’ with it” Chunji sobbed, “If the person I liked really liked me then what the others thought wouldn’t have mattered right?” Mrs Lee rubbed his back and smiled at Chunji “Dear, maybe the one you like is just as confused as you. They probably just said it was for the bet to cover up how they really feel, they’re probably afraid you didn’t want to kiss them because you didn’t like them”

Chunji looked up at the middle aged woman “R-Really? You think he does?” he choked out and she looked at him kindly as Chunji realised what he said. He opened his mouth to take back what he said but she cut him off “I’m sure my Byungie cares about you just as much” Chunji’s breath hitched “H-How did you know I was talking about L.Joe?” he stammered and he earned a giggle from the lady sitting with him “He acts different with you, he hasn’t even hugged his own father in two years, but he’s hugged you I’m sure. Instead of coming to me when the storm hit he went to you, Byungie was rather depressed until he started at school with you. He smiles so much now and his laughter is real, not just an effort so I don’t worry. You’ve changed him Chanhee, for the better and he definitely thinks of you more than just a friend. Believe me Channie” she chuckled “I know my son” with that she stood up and put the last things in Chunji’s bag for him. “I’m guessing you want to go back to your own home for a while?” she asked quietly, Chunji nodded and thanked her for her help and advice. “Remember you’re always welcome here so come over whenever you like, you can stay here as long as you want” she said warmly before closing the door and Chunji started walking to that hellhole called his house.

L.Joe had gotten worried when Chunji hadn’t shown up for class after lunch, *Crap! I can’t believe I didn’t figure out he was gay. That explains all the male admirers and how he’s so comfortable around his friends. Ugh, I’m so stupid! But why didn’t he come back? I knew I shouldn’t have kissed him, if he’s gay and he didn’t like me kissing him…then there’s no way he’ll ever like me* This realisation hit L.Joe like walking into a brick wall, Chunji must have hated the fact that L.Joe had kissed him and L.Joe hated that he had fallen for Chunji. L.Joe finally noticed that someone was standing in front of his desk and they were trying to get his attention, he looked up to see a familiar silhouette; it was his teacher. Lee Joon. L.Joe stiffened in his chair and sat up straight, almost glaring at his teacher. “Do you know where Lee Chanhee is? L.Joe gulped, his throat felt dry “Uh, I think he was feeling sick and went home” Lee Joon nodded and walked away quickly but L.Joe knew he had see worry written all over his teacher’s rather handsome face.