The Plain White Envelope

Gay and and Falling for a Homophobe

When the sun rose and Chunji’s alarm clock started ringing he silenced it with a satisfying hit of his fist, he was about to roll over when he found that his arm was trapped under something…and it had no intention of moving. Chunji groggily rolled back towards the centre of the bed and almost collided with a still sleeping L.Joe, Chunji’s eyes widened in shock and his breath hitched, his heart was ringing in his ears as he surveyed the younger’s sleeping face and was now fully aware that the guy he liked, was asleep in his arms. Funny how the one guy he can’t have, was the one guy he wanted *Unfair!* Chunji mentally groaned, still staring at the other boys angel like face. Chunji slowly lifted his free arm off of L.Joe and this did the exact opposite of what Chunji was going for (that didn’t mean Chunji didn’t like it) L.Joe snuggled up closer to Chunji than before and this resulted in the two meeting nose to nose. Chunji’s face was now burning even more fiercely than before and was frantically trying to maintain control of his hormones (or what his friends called; his gay instincts)

*Recap* Chunji thought *I slept in the same bed as the guy I like last night, he is still asleep in my arms right now, we are nose to nose and he doesn’t know it, it would be so easy (and amazing) to kiss him right now and god knows how much I want to but…he’s still a homophobe…and I am most definitely still gay, courtesy of the guy currently giving me an Eskimo kiss in his sleep. Well !* Eventually Chunji settled for just laying like that for a while and found himself breathing in L.Joe’s sweet scent; something like vanilla and toffee, Chunji closed his eyes for a moment but when he opened them again he was met by two dark chocolate orbs staring straight back at him, noses still touching L.Joe whispered “What time is it?” Chunji (reluctantly) lifted his head from his comfortable pillow and checked the clock “7:05am” he said and slumped back down on the pillow next to L.Joe. The younger was blushing furiously and stammered “S-Shouldn’t we get out of bed don’t you think?” Chunji smirked, “You’re still lying on my arm” L.Joe shot up in an instant, making him feel a little dizzy and mumbling an apology he began to stumble across the room, only to have the dizziness catch up with him and cause him to trip on the edge of the carpet. Chunji caught L.Joe around the waist and L.Joe could feel Chunji’s breath tickle his neck, Chunji hadn’t thought that L.Joe’s (or his own) face could go any redder, but it could…and it did.

Chunji quickly helped L.Joe stand up and let him go before things got awkward, L.Joe let out a small squeak when they opened the door…his mother was standing outside. Instead of saying anything remotely homoually related L.Joe’s mother simply smiled at Chunji and said “Thank you for being there for my Byungie, I was worried when the storm picked up last night but since his room was empty when I checked I figured he must have gone to you. I’m very grateful” and after thanking Chunji she asked “Who wants breakfast?” All three meandered down to the kitchen and Chunji helped Mrs Lee make pancakes, all the while L.joe was thinking about the night before *His hugs feel so nice and warm, maybe I should hope for more rain tonight…wait what am I thinking!?* L.Joe snapped out of his little muse and set about eating his pancakes, Chunji was sitting opposite L.joe and was using every ounce of strength he had to keep his eyes off L.joe (this proved to be very difficult)

By 7:45 the boys were walking to school and were preparing themselves to be bombarded with questions, not by the teachers, but by their friends. Surely enough, when they rounded the corner to their morning hang out spot, their four friends surrounded them and let the questions (more like accusations) fly; “Why were you both away?” “Were you together?” “Did you two do things?” “I bet you two hooked up!” Chunji finally had it and yelled “Just shut up!!!” he calmed down and then explained that L.Joe had found out about his ‘family problems’ and offered to let him stay over for a few days. The two couples stood and listened to Chunji’s explanation, surprisingly they were refraining from their usual make out sessions and Chunji was impressed, Ricky really had come through…at the price of those stupid bets.

Chunji and L.Joe finally escaped the interrogation and went to their lockers, Chunji had quite forgotten about his admirers and was almost as shocked as L.Joe when twice the usual amount of confessions and love letters spilled from his locker. There had to be around one hundred or so, there was one however, that caught Chunji’s eye, a plain white envelope with no decorations or writing on it anywhere. It was unlike any Chunji had ever received before and he made a mental note to read it as soon as he got home, he was curious about what contents that plain envelope held, maybe it was someone who hadn’t written one before. Chunji carefully stacked all the letters in the back corner of his locker with the plain one on top and then he and L.Joe grabbed their things for singing and music.

Chunji lead the way into singing and gave a smile and a small wave to his favourite teacher Mr Joon, the teacher smiled back briefly before turning back to the whiteboard to finish writing the outline for the music class after. Chunji wandered over to Mr Joon’s desk and rested his elbows on the table with his chin propped in his hands, Mr Joon (or Lee Joon since he was very fond of his singing class) sat in his chair and before he could start to call roll, Chunji began talking. “Joonie” he whined “Did you miss me yesterday?” Lee Joon glanced up from the papers in his hands and looked indifferent “Why would I have missed you in the first place?” he said rather bluntly. Chunji pouted “Cause I was away!” his teacher sighed and put the class list down and gave Chunji the attention he wanted “Okay then, so why were you away?” he asked, rubbing his temples and closing his eyes for a moment as if Chunji was the main cause of his stress, Chunji grinned slyly “Shouldn’t my favourite teacher be a bit more worried when I was sick yesterday?” A flicker of concern flashed in Lee Joon’s eyes as he looked at the mug on his desk beside his laptop, it was given to him the year before on the school’s annual ‘Teachers Appreciation Day” and Chunji gave it to him, it said; “For my favourite teacher, you’re the best!” Mr Joon tried not to show his now sparked worry and said “Well since you’re here today that means you’re fine so I don’t have to worry” and Chunji stuck his tongue out and laughed, knowing that his teacher wasn’t nearly as aloof as he was making out to be and walked back over to L.Joe.

 

Chunji’s day could have been interpreted as heaven or hell. Heaven; because he got to hear L.Joe sing and rap in the first hour of his school day, then in music play the piano so well he didn’t even need to look at the keys, he had everyone swooning by the end of his beautiful ballad, both girls and guys (much to Chunji’s annoyance) Also it turns out that despite his height, L.Joe played basketball like a god, dribbling the ball, running and dodging as if it was as easy as breathing for him and finally jumping and slamming the orange ball through the hoop. This resulted in Chunji just spending the entire double period of PE staring, no playing, just staring. Science apparently didn’t faze L.Joe…but maths did. Chunji found he was only good at one thing that L.Joe wasn’t and it wasn’t even something he enjoyed. But Chunji quickly began to improve his attitude towards maths when L.Joe asked him to tutor him (Chunji of course began celebrating in his head that he now had yet another reason to spend time with crush) The hellish part of the whole thing was Chunji could hardly control himself, he was spending almost every waking moment with the homophobe that he liked. Chunji did his best to keep his imagination in check (but wasn’t always successful) and had to remind himself more than once that day that L.Joe wasn’t open to anything more than hugging (yet…hopefully)  much less in public. Chunji was beginning to wonder if it was even possible to be this infatuated after knowing someone for only a few days…apparently yes.

When the day finally ended and Chunji and L.Joe said goodbye to his friends Chunji knew he wasn’t the only one aware of the ‘goings on’ of the couples they had left behind, trying to change the subject Chunji brought up the most boring thing he could think of; homework. This conversation lasted a grand total of five minutes but it was enough to take off the tension that their friends…‘activities’ had left behind, a few minutes later after walking in comfortable silence Chunji found himself reaching out to L.Joe’s hand and slowly lacing hid fingers with the others, at first L.joe flinched but then relaxed after Chunji asked “Doe’s this still scare you?” and L.Joe gently shook his head. They made it all the way back to the mansion without letting go until they could hear Mrs Lee’s voice from upstairs, L.joe (reluctantly) let go of Chunji’s hand and sat down on the large couch facing the TV and started surfing the channels. Chunji opened his bag and was faced with a mountain of papers all different colours and sizes, but staying true to his sparked curiosity, he picked up the single plain white envelope off the stop and opened it, eager to read its contents.

 L.Joe glanced over mildly interested to see why Chunji was being so quiet, Chunji was staring at the letter in his hand, unmoving and apparently in shock. L.Joe quietly asked if he could see the letter and Chunji silently nodded and handed over the single sheet of paper. L.Joe began to read “Chanhee, I know you will never have feelings for me and even if you did it would never work out, so I’m sorry to burden you with my confession but I just wanted you to know that I like you a lot. I’ve tried to shove these feelings aside but have failed and it has been getting harder to keep them from showing when I see you every day at school. Please don’t treat me any differently than you have before after you read this, I know it will surprise you but now that you know I think I’ll have a chance to move on after harbouring these feelings for almost a year.

PS: I use the mug every day,

From: Your favourite teacher…”