01 : A CHILDHOOD MEMORY

Fireworks of Memories

The snow that falls on the last day of December is giving the little Jieun quite a chill. It was very cold. It seems like her new sweater didn't work very well. She sits infront of the heater, with a few more sweater on her. Her whole family was gathering that night, waiting for a new beginning of the year. They were having a feast, filling their empty stomach with lots of food. Jieun has always put a like on it, gathering party, she loved meeting a distant relative. Although she hates seeing fireworks at night. That was why never once did she go outside when the clock strike 12. 

It was getting colder as night fall deeper. The moon was fading away, hiding behind the thick dark cloud. Jieun almost fell asleep as she tried to keep her eyes open. She put her hand together, rubbing it several times. Outside, the sound of trumpet could be hear clearly. It was very loud that Jieun needs to cover both her ears with her palm. Squeezing it tightly until nothing could be heard again. 

As a child, Jieun hates loud voice. She had a natural talent in music, but she hate loud voice. She only sings a calming and relaxing songs, not a rock one. She hates rock music. She always cried whenever she heard a loud voice. And that's why she hate New Year Eve, because it was painted by loud voices. The sound of trumpet, not to forget the fireworks and firecracker. She never had a chance enjoying them, because of their loud voices. 

A boy, who seems to be a year older than her suddenly sat next to her. Rubbing his hand and putting them to his cold cheek. He block the heater with his body. A wide grin of excitment on his face show every inch of his tooth. Some of his tooth was missing, just like Jieun's tooth. They started to come off earlier this year. The complete opposite of Jieun, the boy didn't feel ashame showing his toothless mouth. 

"Ah, it's almost 12 o'clock! I'm very excited. Don't you?" The boy clapped in a cheerfull way. He turn his gaze to Jieun. 

Jieun could only nod. Ever since she was little, she doesn't like to talk, she was rather quiet. She rarely talk to people, hiding her soft soothing voice behind her calm appearence. 

"I can't wait to see the fireworks! Let's go outside and see some of them!" Again, the boy laugh cheerfully. 

Jieun shook her head couple of time, harshly. She pressed her ear harder as the boy blew his trumpet. It was very loud that Jieun's eye got teary, she was scared of the loud voice. 

"Why not? Fireworks are pretty! I loved them! Why are you covering your ears?" The boy keeps on blowing his trumpet.

"I hate loud voices! I hate the voice of trumpet, it's too loud! I hate the fireworks, it's so loud!" Jieun cry. 

"Ah.. You only need to close your ear, then you won't hear anything." The boy grin.

"No, I could still hear the voice even under my pillow." Jieun shook her head as she wiped away her tears.

Their little innocent and cute conversation continues, as the boy keep on persuading Jieun. Jieun kept on shaking her head, everytime the boy asked her to see the fireworks. Sometimes her eye got teary as she became scared. The loud voice of fireworks that has started outside could be hear clearly from inside the house.

"Well, who wants to play firecrackers?" Jieun's dad offer with lots of firecracker in his hand.

"I do! I do!" the boy shout in excitment, while Jieun kept quiet.

"Jieunnie~ Why don't you play with us?" the boy asked. Jieun replied him by crying.

The boy ran to Jieun's mom, who seems to be busy, cooking at the kitchen.

"Auntie, Jieunnie is crying. She doesn't want to go outside and play!"

Her mom bend, patting the boy back. She smiled. "Just go outside, I will try to persuade her, dear."

As always, her mom is the nicest person in the world. She persuaded Jieun to go outside and play the firecracker. It doesn't took much time before Jieun finally agree, as long as her mom is accompanying her.

The boy broke into a grin, as soon as he saw Jieun coming out from the house. He grab her hand, and they ran outside, playing the firecracker. Jieun was scared at first, because everything seems so loud. But it was very much fun that she forgot about the loud voice. They laugh and ran around, as the night fall deeper.

The clock strike 12, a beginning of a new year. Fireworks started to burst, up to the sky. The loud voice it creates startled Jieun, she ran to her father and cried. It was too loud that Jieun got scared. Her father hug her and lift her up, as she close her ears with both her hand, and shut her eyes closed.

"Jieunnie~, don't be scared. Look! They're so pretty." The boy persuaded as he pointed up to the sky.

Jieun shook her head again, but finally gave up and flutter it open. A glimpse of light appear inside her brown orbs. She was fascinated by the fireworks. They're so pretty, painting the sky, just like a flower. The colors it creates was very beautiful that Jieun falls in love to it immediately.

"Appa, it's so pretty!" Jieun pointed to the sky.

"Do you like it?" the boy asked.

"I love it! It's so pretty." Jieun said, although the loud voice keeps on scaring her, she simply loves the fireworks.


 

That was the day Jieun fell in love with fireworks. From that day onwards, she would waited for New Year Eve to come, simply to see the fireworks painting the sky. It was a childhood memory that she could never forgot. Although she had forgotten who the boy was, she still remember his face. As she grow up, her fear of loud voices fades away.

The memory she created under those fireworks has always been the best. Especially her childhood memory. If she could ever turn back the time, she would need to thank the boy. Because of him, she fell in love with fireworks. And because of those fireworks, she fell in love. To another fireworks maniac, Jang Woo Young.

And this is the story, of their memories, under the fireworks.

 

A/N

How is it? I hope it's  good enough. I had quite a hard time writing this story. Hope you enjoy it! Comments and suscribe! Thank You.