Ji yong's birthday

Ice Cream Sundae

 

I stared at the pile of white carnations on the table, there were a total ninety nine of these guys.

 
Honestly, in my opinion, if you really want to blow your girlfriend's socks off with flowers, one is seriously enough. You don't want them rotting in her room do you?
 
And also, if you want to present as a symbol of love, shouldn't roses be more appropriate? I mean, who gives carnations?
 
Okay I know I shouldn't judge people but my mother is the owner of a flower shop and every single day she's receiving tons of ridiculous orders.
 
Mum is sick, no joke. Straight down with fever and a burning throat. And I need to help her because I love her to bits, she's doing whatever she can.
 
Once again, I curse my dad. I have no idea whatsoever what he looks like or anything. The only thing I know is that he left my mum when I was just three months old and left the weight of the entire world on her shoulders.
 
Oh and I still have homework. Mountains of it. One look at my table tells anyone that I can be working till midnight.
 
Working till midnight? The thought sickens me Okay I decided, I'm gonna finish my homework now, and sort out these carnations for this lovesick guy.
 
As soon as I settled down on my study table, I noticed that the date tomorrow is marked with a huge red circle. I brought my calendar for a closer look. 
 
"18th August: Ji Yong's birthday"
 
Am I really a bad person? That the gods up there must hate me so much that they curse me with three major tasks all due today?
 
Number one, I have to attack all my homework
 
Number two, I have to sort of carnations for a love sick guy
 
Number three, I need to prepare a present for JI YONG, who apparently, is turning twenty one tomorrow.
 
Alright, I don't care. I have to finish everything by today. 
 
I charged through every single question with my blue ballpoint pen and killed all my math questions. And three (I'm pretty impressive right?) English essays plus a science proposal. Everything under two hours.
 
And I don't know how the heck did I did it, but I finished t and wrapping the flowers up in thirty minutes flat. 
 
So after checking on mum (and reassuring her that I have properly completed the order) I went store to store to search for a perfect present for Ji Yong.
 
I was beginning to feel like Dora-the-explorer, who went round the world searching for absolutely nothing, when I saw this fancy gift store located right at the back of the mall.
 
And as soon as I went in, a beautiful oval memory chain (you know those kind where it pops open and inside holds a photo) caught my eyes.
 
"Um miss, I want to take a look at this." I asked the snobby salesgirl. 
 
She practically ed it into my hands. "It's the last one we have in the shop."
 
"Really?"
 
"Yeah...limited edition and all that." She said lazily while picking at her nails.
 
I almost fainted when I asked for the price. But since its his birthday, I took it. Hey don't look at me like that, you don't turn twenty one everyday do you?
 
Anyway, after I left the mall, I went to Ji Yong's house (where luckily, Ji yong is  out) and discussed it with Ji Yong's mum. We planned it okay, since Ji Yong don't really like anything too big.
 
Look out Mr Ji!
 
 
---------------------------------------------
 
 
No one's POV
 
Ji Yong woke up as normal. He was feeling very special but he don't know why. Nevertheless, he set out to school. 
 
Having little friends who cared (He prefers to study by himself), no one wished him his birthday, so he never remembered.
 
He listened carefully, took notes, and answered questions in class. He ate lunch with a few acqiuntances and after a few more classes, he headed home.
 
Its kind of impossible for anyone to forget his own birthday but Ji Yong, who is determined to study hard and make his parents happy, didn't really care.
 
Upon reaching his front door, Ji Yong pulled out his key and inserted it in. 
 
He swung open the door to reveal complete darkness.
 
"Uhh..mum I'm back!" He called.
 
Immediately, the lights flickered back on and his gaze met his whole family, along with Chaerin and her mum.
 
The jubilant crowd broke into a birthday song while Ji Yong himself stood dumbfounded. He still havent move when the song came to an end.
 
"Today is my birthday?....What how come?" 
 
Chaerin, who is donning a pretty outfit, rolled her eyes. "It's eighteenth of August Ji, haven't you wrote dates or anything in school today?"
 
Ji Yong was speechless.
 
"Anyway, I baked you a cake." Chaerin gestured to the delectable strawberry cake on the table. The whole familys' eyes were on Ji Yong, waiting for his response.
 
"Thank you." Ji Yong simply said. You can't blame him when he's naturally awkward at saying thanks.
 
Everyone moved to the dining table. Where Ji Yong toasted with a glass of wine and everyone enjoyed the cake.
 
It was a perfect night.
 
"Oh and Ji Yong, I bought you something." Chaerin said with a grin. She fished out a little red box and opened it. Carefully, she took out the chain and leaned over to put it on Ji Yong.
 
"A little something from me to you." She grinned.
 
But Chaerin got the biggest shock in her life when she saw actual tears in Ji Yong's eye.
 
"Oppa what's wrong?" She asks, instantly worried.
 
"Chaerin...I...I want to tell-...never mind." He closed his mouth and shook his head." 
 
Something was definitely wrong. But Chaerin couldn't ask anymore when all their parents came over.
 
But that worrying feeling is sickening her. She looked back at Ji Yong and she felt something tug at her heart.
 
She needs to find out.