Chapter 30

Ice Cream Sundae

wee:) can't believe we're at chapter 30 already like whuuuut O.O thanks for all those feedbacks. Me love you all.

 

 

And just like every other Sunday, I woke up at around nine-ish. I frowned a little when my neck felt uncomfortable. I reached up, only to find the 'heart plus star' necklace still danging on my neck. Silently, I vowed to never be parted from it, never.

I always hated weekends because mum needs to wake up earlier to take care of her flower shop, leaving me lonely at home. Since I spent the whole day yesterday, oh well, I decided to start on some homework. Now I know why is there no such thing as 'thank god it's Sunday'.

But as I approached my study table, one piece of pale green post-it on the wall caught my eye. I peeled it off carefully, not wanting to tear off the fragile coat paint on the wall.

   "Chae, 

          I  need  to rush off at around 11 to sewing class. Sorry, I forget to tell you that I signed up for it:) so from now on, you will need to be in charge of our flower shop every Sunday. Sorry if you have homework to do. And, there's some left over Honeysuckle which I left on the counter. Remember to wrap them before bringing them, home. I'll be back at the shop at 3. Thank you my dear, mum loves you.

    See you later, alligator <3

    Mum.

I immediately brightened up. I love helping out at the flower shop but mum always insists on doing the job herself, ranting on and on about self responsibility blah blah blah blah. Plus I do have homework due actually. But that's okay. I'm a whizzing homework machine when there's a dateline due.

Oh so now my dear mother had signed up for sewing class? Perfect. I can't sew anything without stabbing seven fingers. Ouch.

My mood of homework disappears and decides to head off the our flower shop a bit earlier. What's the harm anyway?

Mum was packing up when I pushed the elegant glass door of our shop open. It's kind of funny how our shop is prettier than our house.

"Chae!" Mum's chirpy voice sounded as soon as I stepped in. She rushed over and tossed an apron over my head. "Remember to tie your bun too, I'll get going!"

She closed the glass door, but quickly opened it again. "And also the honeysuckles!"

"Yes mum. Aren't you rushing late or something?" 

Mum glanced at the watch on her hand and flew off without a word.

I love mum to bits, but even I find her weird sometimes.

I picked up the seven honeysuckles and buried my face in them. They smelled just like sweet, wild honey that Winnie-the-Pooh loves. I carefully inserted them into a vase.

After a few minutes of waiting, no customers decide to show up. Bored, I strolled around our shop. Using my index finger to gently brush the delicate petals of the plants. Flowers always seem to make me happy for some reason.

Suddenly, the little bell that we hung at the door tinkled. A customer has arrived. I rushed over in excitement.

"Hi, may I help you?"

The customer, a middle aged woman was a bit taken aback by my eagerness. "I'll just take a look around." She said, giving a small nod.

I waited patiently. She closed her finger around a daisy and gave a delicate sniff. She repeated that with so many different flowers that my smile feels a bit rigid.

Finally, she spoke. "Sorry but what do you think is suitable for hospitalized children?" Her black eyes were filled with some sort of agony and her brows were creased into a small frown.

I'm not sure if I heard her correctly. "Hospitalized Children you say?" 

She nodded again with a weak smile. I then realized that it must be her child. Sympathy floods my heart as I led her to a dozen of golden sunflowers sitting at the third row.

"Sunflowers are a dependable source of happiness you know." I smiled. And she smiled back, sincerely this time.

"Wow, your knowledge on flowers must be quite expanded."  she carefully selected two from the vase.

"Quite." I smiled back politely.

"I would love to come back to your shop again." The woman smiled as she paid for the flowers.

I made sure to wrap the flowers up the best that I could. I handed it to her with a bright grin. "Thank you." 

Even after she left, the happiness is still lingering around my heart. See? Working in a flower shop and making people happy isn't a bad thing isn't it?

"Ling ling~" the tiny little bell tinkled again.

"Hello, anybody here?" A smooth male voice said. Somewhat familiar.

I looked up, ready to serve with a radiant smile. But hey, isn't that guy...

"Seung Ri?" I said in recognition. 

Seung Ri wore the exact same expression on my face.

"Chaerin isn't it?"

I nodded blankly.

"What are you doing here?"

Ahem, excuse me but doesn't this blue apron and buned up hair tells you that I'm in charge of this shop? No wait, the daughter of the owner. Pardon moi.

"Oh well, my mum isn't in today so I'm taking over for her."

Seung Ri's eyes grew even bigger. If they get any bigger, they'll pop out.

"The owner of this shop is your mum?!"

"Erm...well...er..yes?"

What's so surprising huh? Are we that famous?

His expression softened a bit. "Oh well, if you didn't knew," he shrugged. "My mum is your mum's best friend and they set up this shop together."

"Oh." Was all that I can say. But come to think of it, my mum really does socialize and have lots of friends huh? See, Ji Yong's mother and Seung Ri's mother are both my mum's friend.

But they set up this flower shop together? How come mum didn't mention?

Seung Ri seemed to have read my mind. "They were high school friends and they both had a strong passion for plants. So with the help and support of their parents, they opened the shop twenty seven years ago."

Twenty Seven? Wow.

"But mum had cancer and she's been hospitalized for as long as I can remember. Her dream for the success of the shop didn't falter though, so during weekends she tells me to pays the shop a visit and buy her a flower back."

"It's...amazing." 

He nodded. "Twenty seven years huh?" He smiled.

I nodded and smiled back. I could help admiring his smile at the same time. When he smiles, the sides of his eyes crinkles. It kind of makes you smile back no matter what.

I hopped of the counter (I have been siting on one while talking to Seung Ri) and walked over to a couple of Scotch Brooms.

"How about this for your mum?" 

He came over and leaned in to examine the pale yellow blooms. He was so near that my nose touched the brim of his jacket. He smells of pinewood and orange lilies, pretty special.

"I think it's pretty." He smiles again.

"They're pretty expensive though," I said apologetically. "These kind are rare."

"That's okay, I just hope my mum likes it."

I brings out two little stools and we both sat down. We chat, basically about school and grades. He got an A* for math and science, genius really.

"Oh," he snaps his fingers (which looked really professional), "Are you taken yet, for the prologue dance?" He smiles eagerly.

"Yep, I'm sorry." I smiled apologetically.

I expected his smile to disappear, or for him to complain. But his smile and the sparks in his eyes remained.

"Oh that's okay." Seung Ri dismissed with a wave of his hand. "I was just asking."

For a teeny tiny weeny little mirco second, I thought I saw a flicker of disappointment in his bright brownish pupils. I'll tell you this for nothing.

"I guess I need to go now." He said with a swift glance of his watch. 

I don't know why, but I felt disappointed "Aww...already?" 

He grins. "I'm coming back every week, remember? Are you on shift next Sunday?" 

"Well, my mum took up sowing class so I'm stuck here." I laughed.

"Ha ha, okay. Well, bye!" He waves, with his signature smile again.

I wave too. Smiling like there's no tomorrow.

And looking towards next week with a brighter aspect, of course.

 

 

So darn sorry for the late update guys:(. Anyway, how is the story so far? I keep thinking its not good enough so I'm rewriting and rewriting T T. Remember to comment & subscribe :):)