09.

Crossover

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before he died, Kris was living the good life.

 

He had butlers and maids waiting on his every command. His house was about as large as his private high school. He was popular, and everyone loved him. The only thing that upset him was the way he lived his prosperous life. He partied often and neglected school. He lied and backstabbed people. He didn’t care about anyone. He was, in short, two-faced.

Until one day, he met a girl. A girl so sweet and precious, she would even bring Kris to tears. He happened to meet her at one of his many parties. Their meeting was by chance, but to Kris, it felt destined.

Eventually they fell in love. They dated for a long time. Kris felt that he would always love her, and that she would always love him. That didn’t seem to be the case.

Kris didn’t know what happened. All of a sudden she wasn’t hugging him, not kissing him back, and not talking to him. Soon enough, she left. Before doing so, she asked him a single question.

 

“You’re really ignorant, aren’t you?”

 

Kris hurt. Her words stung. But she was completely right; how many people did he hurt? How many did he lie to, betrayed? He didn’t know. Thinking back, he may have unconsciously hurt her too. Why else would she break up with him? He trampled all over people, everyone. It’s only fair he got trampled over too.

Kris decided that, since it was autumn at the time, he would turn over new leaves. He would apologize to everyone he ever hurt, starting from his parents to his ex-girlfriend. He was in his bedroom when he decided this. Firstly, he would grab a drink before he started pouring his heart out. Coincidentally, there was a fresh glass of water on his nightstand. He gulped it down and headed out the door.

 

It wasn’t water.

 

Kris collapsed onto the floor, slowly losing consciousness. It seemed like someone had drugged him and was getting rid of him for good. Kris died that fall, and his parents reluctantly funded for the funeral they didn't even attend. In fact, no one attended. He was ready to apologize, but karma had caught up with him before he was able to. “This is it,” Kris thought. “I’ve done nothing good, so now I’m going to hell.”

That wasn’t it. Kris wasn’t going to hell. He was going somewhere much worse; one of the two asylums to protect and be protected. Not dying was enough, but now he had to live with the fact that no one has yet to forgive him for all he did. His wings reminded him of that every day. They reminded him of how angry and ugly he was back then. They reminded him that he was a fiery beast; they reminded him that he was two-faced, human and dragon.

 

Kai’s voice startled Kris out of his thoughts. “Kris? You okay man?”

Kris, a grown man, was crying. He didn’t exactly look tough here. “G-Go away.”

A few minutes passed by in silence. Kris was sure Kai had left. That is, until the boy spoke again. “…To be deemed ‘special’ is no extraordinary feat…” He started. “To be ‘special’ is not having more strength, more knowledge, or more opportunities than the average person. One merely needs to have appreciation for the things God created. Water. Travel. Flame… Flight.”

Kris wasn’t sure where Kai was going with his little reiteration of God’s rules. He himself read it numerous times.

“Flight,” Kai repeated. “Kris, you were given a second life because you ‘had an appreciation for the things God created’. The one you appreciate most must be flight.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Kris retorted, hiding his face in behind his knees.

“You like your wings. You like having them.” Kai emphasized the likes rather loudly.

“I don’t.”

“Yes, you do. Why else would you be… Well, you? You, Kris, like flying. That’s why you have wings.”

“I DON’T!” Kris covered his ears, not wanting to hear what else Kai had to say about his… Wretched wings. This time it really was quiet. This time Kris was sure Kai had left. This time he was sure he would be left alone crying, and then he would be able to try and face the day again.

He was proved wrong, again. He flinched when he felt something on his left wing. Glancing behind to look, it was Kai. Again. He was touching his wing. HE was TOUCHING it.

Kris angrily flapped his wing and hit Kai across the face.

“OW!” Kai rubbed his cheek. “Dude, you have gotta stop doing that.”

Kris snubbed Kai and turned back away from him. But no matter how many times Kris slapped him, Kai couldn’t stop touching his wing.

“STOP TOUCHING ME!” Kris finally exploded.  

 

“…Y’know, these are really pretty wings.” Kai mumbled.

Kris was surprised. That was the first time someone complimented anything of him, sincerely.

“…And I’m sure Tao thinks so too.”

 

Tao.

 

His shy smile suddenly popped into Kris’s head. Just how long… How long was Tao there for him?

 

“Kai…”

Kai looked up. “Yeah?”

“…Do you think Tao would forgive me if I apologized to him?”

“I’m sure he would.”

 

 

Tao’s Sanctuary

 

 

Tao impatiently sat on the petal-covered floor cross-legged. He was trying to meditate, but he couldn’t get Kris off his mind. It was normal for Kris to get angry at Tao, but he really did it this time. Tao wouldn’t be surprised if Kris never spoke to him again.  But the least he wanted was for Kai to hurry up with the verdict. He was getting tired of waiting.

A few minutes later, he snapped. He swiftly picked up his metal stick and chucked it to the wall, successfully cutting a rose petal in half. The front door opened at that moment.

“KRIS?!” Tao whirled around, only to see Kai standing in the doorway. He sighed. “…Oh. It is you. What did he say?”

Kai walked in, scratching his head. “He said he was going to talk to you later. But aside that, I REALLY need to talk to you first.”

Tao itched with irritation. He had to find out what Kris was thinking. But he had to get rid of the persistent pest known as Kai first. “…What is it?”

“Have you ever heard of Lucifer?”

Kai started from the beginning, from Baekhyun’s attack to now. Tao nodded, listening intently.

“…So basically I came all the way here to warn you guys. You never know what he’s going to attack again.” Kai explained.

Tao bowed. “Thank you. I will keep watch. However, I cannot tell the other guardians about Lushifer. I cannot leave this place, so I will have to ask of you to do so.”

“It’s Lucifer. Why can’t you leave this place? I would if I were you.” Kai commented, taking in the dimness of the place.

“Lushifer,” Tao tried again. “I must stay here to preserve time.” He pointed to the grandfather clock behind him. “It cannot function without me here.”

“I see. Well, would you mind telling me where to go next?” Kai realized that Tao’s formality was rubbing off on him. “It’s Lucifer.”

“Lushifer. If you go past the city, there should be a beach… There is a guardian there.” Tao directed.

“Yeah, I got it. Thanks for your help.” Kai bowed, and Tao repeated his action.

“No, thank you.”

 

Tao watched as Kai turned to leave, and almost freaked out when Kai collapsed onto the floor. Assuring he was fine, Kai changed his mind and teleported away instead.

Once Kai was gone, Tao turned to his giant clock and closed his eyes. When is Kris is going to come and…Talk to him? The boy was anxious.  Tao opened his eyes and realized a tall figure was standing behind him. Whirling around, he saw that it was Kris. He backed away slowly. Kris looked mad.

“G-G-G-Ge…” Tao stuttered. It wasn’t often that Tao was afraid of something, but when Kris was mad… That was something to be scared of. “I-I-I’m sorry.”

Kris glared at the boy, and approached him menacingly. "You’re sorry? You’re sorry?”

Tao cowered into a corner. “Y-Yes! I-I’m sorry!” He hid his face behind his hands. He was scared that Kris might hit him, not that he hit him before, but he was just scared. Suddenly he felt something warm around him.

Blinking his eyes open, he found Kris’s head on his shoulder and his arms wrapped around his scrawny body. Not only that, but Kris’s wings were covering the two of them, as if he wanted to protect them from everything. Was Kris… Hugging him?

The older’s low voice spoke into Tao’s ear. “You’re wrong…” He whispered.

Confused, Tao tried to look up at Kris’s face. His hair covered his emotions. “G-Ge?”

"You're wrong...”Kris repeated. “ You're completely wrong. I'm the one who's sorry."

Tao held onto Kris's jacket with both hands, dropping his stick on the floor. He breathed in Kris's warm scent and felt safe. He was still confused by his words though.

 "I do not understand, ge. Why are you sorry? I should be sorry; I did not help you..."

Kris nuzzled into Tao. "I'm sorry because... I just am, okay? I'm sorry for being such an towards you. I was always unreasonable, idiotic..."

"You did nothing of the sort, Yifan."

Kris stood straight and looked at Tao's face. Ah, there it was again; Tao's shy smile. Seeing the boy in front of him smiling automatically made Kris smile too.

"So... Do you forgive me?" Kris glanced away nervously.As soon as he did, Tao's petite lips came into contact with Kris's cheek. Kris immediately faced Tao again, trying to process what just happened.

Tao let out a small laugh. "I did say you did nothing of the sort... But if it makes you feel better, then I forgive you, Yifan."

That was it. 'I forgive you.' Those were the words he wanted to hear for years. The heaviest of all weights lifted off of Kris's shoulders, causing him to laugh loudly and startle Tao.

"Didja just kiss me without asking? You can't just kiss Wu Yifan without asking!" Kris declared. Next, he swiftly pulled Tao closer with his left hand and held his chin with his right. He stole Tao's lips away in a long and passionate kiss, taking the younger by surprise.

A moment later, Kris let go of Tao and smirked. "That was my revenge! One does not simply kiss all this without permission!"

"Wh-" Tao blushed a bright red touching his violated lips, while the other idiot was prancing around happily. Tao scowled. "KRIS!!"

The older stopped in his tracks and looked at him curiously. Did he piss him off again? "W-What?"

The younger stared at the floor. "M-M-M-May I... Seek your c-consent to..."

Kris walked up to the boy. "My consent to what?"

Tao snapped. "MAY I SEEK YOUR CONSENT TO KISS YOU AGAIN?!"

Kris stood there shocked. Half because of Tao yelling, half because of what he said. Afterwards he smiled a sincere smile.

 

"My lips are reserved for Huang Zitao."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


YAAY TAORIS

Okay, so now you have Kris's backstory. There are a couple more backstories left, one from M and three from K? Something like that?

Incoming Kaisoo in the next chapter.