Grandma's Place

voyage to another world

Jong Hyun’s P.O.V.

 

Mr. Park drove Shin Hye and me to the train station. When we arrived, he waved us goodbye and we went in the station to process our tickets and stuff. We were on our way to Shin Hye’s grandma’s place. We visited her every holiday, she was probably the only person in Shin Hye’s family whom I felt comfortable around. When we arrived at grandma’s place, she gave us each a big hug and welcomed us. Her cat and her dog also ran out of the house to greet us. It was evident that Shin Hye visited her grandma a lot as the dog held onto her cordially for a cuddle, and Shin Hye patted it affectionately.

 

“Grandma, here is some ginseng slices from mom and dad!” Shin Hye smiled as she handed her grandma a red gift box, while I felt uncomfortable hearing Shin Hye calling my mom “mom”.

 

“Oh, thank you so much Shin Hye! Please thank your parents for me!” grandma happily accepted the present.

 

Grandma cooked our favourite dishes for dinner and we chatted a lot around the dinner table.

 

Shin Hye’s P.O.V.

 

The next morning, grandma showed me around her garden as she had promised (Jong Hyun had politely declined the offer). It was autumn and the garden was filled with the vivid colours and fragrance. Looking at her beautiful garden, the image of grandma sowing seeds, weeding, pruning and watering the flowers crossed my mind. She must have done it day by day to make the garden looked as spectacular as it was now. I walked around the garden and took a good look at each type of flower, and unexpectedly, a few bizarre looking chrysanthemums caught my attention. The purple petals of this type of chrysanthemum were of different shades, and they were arranged in a sphere. The petals glittered in the sunlight, shining the same shade of purple light as the petal itself, which was fascinating to watch.

 

“This type of chrysanthemum made the best flower tea!” grandma sort of yanked me out of my fascination, “I am sunning some of its petals to make tea for you both! Although it is a bit tricky to dry these petals, you should be able to have the flower tea before you leave.”

 

Jong Hyun’s P.O.V.

 

While Shin Hye was walking around the garden, I was writing a song at the table on the veranda. Although life here was pretty boring compared to that in the city, I did appreciate the fresh morning air here as it really boosted me. While I was writing, I heard someone pulling a chair from the table. I looked up and it was grandma. I quickly stood up and pulled the chair for her. We sat together and chatted. She had a genuine interest in how I was doing. She asked about how I got on with my new family, my schooling and even my performance in the band! I was able to answer her question honestly, because she would never judge me or got upset easily. It was great to be able to tell someone how I really felt.

 

Shin Hye’s P.O.V.

 

I spent a peaceful week at grandma’s place where we three did chores, gardening, and walked the pets together. In addition, I accompanied grandma when she did her grocery shopping and watched her favourite show. I was also free from Jong Hyun’s teasing. But all good things must come to an end.

 

Today was our last day at grandma’s place, and before we leave at noon, grandma made us some flower tea with the purple chrysanthemum in her garden. She was right! The purple chrysanthemum made the best flower tea ever! It smelled as pleasant as those white chrysanthemums I saw in China, it tasted as sweet as honey and as refreshing as mint! Yum yum yum!

 

Jong Hyun’s P.O.V.

 

According to the carefully planned schedule by mom and Mr. Park, we will arrive at school at 8 pm sharp if we took the 2pm train today, arrive at Seoul (where we lived) at 6pm, take a taxi home (arrive at 6.30pm), do more packing (finish at 7pm) and have dinner (finish at 7.30pm) before we take a taxi to school. We had to go straight back to school because mom and Mr. Park were away today, and they thought it would be a good idea for us to go straight back to school and spend the night there before it starts tomorrow. Not a bad idea because all my friends would be there tonight because students whose family were outside of Seoul (e.g. my friends, they all left for their hometown the day after they practised at my place) were supposed to arrive at school at 8pm tonight to make sure that they were all there for the assembly tomorrow morning. Luckily, everything went according to the plan.