A New Genius Kid?

voyage to another world

 

Jong Hyun’s P.O.V.

 

Shin Hye and I sat at the same table with Mr. Park opposite us. My physics teacher Mr. Kim and our year level coordinator Mr. Na were there to keep us company. You may be wondering what is going on here. Well, long story short -- neither Shin Hye nor me could fake our intellectual capacity in our last physics test, and now we are both in trouble.

 

~Flashback~

Author’s P.O.V.

 

“Hi Mr. Kim.” Mr. Na, the year 11 coordinator greeted Mr. Kim. After Mr. Kim greeted him back, Mr. Na cleared his throat and started the real conversation: “I heard that Lee Jong Hyun in your class got the year level top score in this physics test.”

 

“Yes, he did…”

 

“And what does he usually get? 70%? 60%?”

 

“Uh huh…”

 

“Then tell me, how could a student with such a grade last term suddenly become a top student after the break? Could he be cheating?”

 

“Well, I have spoken to him about his grade, and told him to tell me the truth when he’s ready to…”

 

“And did he?”

 

“No…”

 

“Then I think we need some parental involvement!”

 

When Mr. Kim asked Ms. Song, Jong Hyun’s homeroom teacher for his parents’ contact detail, Ms. Song reluctantly gave him Mr. Park’s number: “Please don’t let his mother know about this… She has had a tough life…”

~End of Flashback~

 

Shin Hye’s P.O.V.

 

I kept my head down with my hand clenching my trousers tight. My chest is tight and I was drenched with sweat. My head was spinning and I was feeling sick. I felt that the whole world had turned its back on me – my classmates and my teacher treated me as if I cheated in the test, my dad would probably be really disappointed about my grade, and Jong Hyun is probably going to kill me for making him look like a cheater. Oh my gosh! What should I do?

 

After dad had sit down and made himself comfy, he turned to Jong Hyun: “Hey Shinnie… I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t do very well in the test…” he said as he placed his hand on Jong Hyun’s arm: “But don’t be discouraged, I’m sure you can do really well in the next test.” I was touched by my dad’s understanding words. How I wish I was the true recipient of those words!

 

“And Jong Hyun,” dad turned to me, “was it true that you cheated in the test?”

 

Oh, great! How am I going to answer this? I could probably save the day and conceal the bizarre soul exchange if I said yes. But then I would have to purposefully do my second best on all my academic subjects for who-knows-how-long, and I don’t want to! My dad used to tell me that if I don’t use my skills to the best of my ability, they will diminish and I will lose them. I don’t want this to happen!

 

After what it seemed like a life-long dilemma, I shook my head at my dad’s question.

 

“Jong Hyun, look at me and answer my question.” said dad firmly, but I could sense tenderness in his voice. My parents always asked me to look at them in the eyes when they wanted to know whether I was being honest. And they read me like an open book every time I looked at them in the eyes.

 

Therefore, I complied with dad and shook my head once again.

 

“Okay, then I believe in you.” said dad after he gazed at me for a few seconds. Then he turned to Mr. Kim: “I don’t think he cheated, sir.”

 

“Mr. Park…” said Mr. Na before Mr. Kim could say anything, “how can you believe a child so easily, given that the grade was unbelievably good?”

 

Dad was looking uncomfortable but he managed to smile at Mr. Na: “Well, I believe that eyes don’t lie. And if you still have any doubt, you could give Jong Hyun a re-test.” Then he paused for a while: “Sorry for saying this, but I really don’t like it when cheating is the first thing you thought about after Jong Hyun has gotten a good grade, I mean, he has a lot of potential, and he can do exceptionally well if he works on it.”

 

Jong Hyun’s P.O.V.

 

Mr. Park’s words touched me and somehow enlightened me. For the first time I heard someone said that I had potential and can do exceptionally well (Uh… I won’t be too surprise if I receive the same comment for my musical talent.). It was amazing to hear that Mr. Park actually believes in my ability. As Mr. Park headed out of the room, I followed him instinctively.

 

“Hey wait, dad…”

 

Mr. Park turned around.

 

“Exactly what kind of potential did you see in Jong Hyun?”

 

“Apart from being a good musician, I don’t know exactly what other talent he has, he needs to discover those talents himself.” Mr. Park smiled and headed out of the school.

 

“Hey wait!” I halt him again.

 

“Yes, Shinnie?”

 

“Uh… You won’t tell his mom what happened, right?”

 

“Of course I won’t! Not all things are good to share, beside he didn’t do anything wrong!” Mr. Park’s smile did not waver.

 

“Thanks dad!” I gave him a 90 degree bow, “I’m sure what you’ve just said would mean a lot to Jong Hyun!”

 

“Oh, that’s good to hear!” said Mr. Park, sounding a little amused, “Anything else, Shinnie?”

 

“Umm… No, that’s it…”

 

“Okay, then… Hwaiting for your next test!!!” said Mr. Park as he did a big Hwaiting sign at me with a big smile on his face, and I felt myself smiling and doing the same.

 

As I watched him leave, all the hatred and grudges I held against him were gone. I started to be happy for my mom, for finding someone who would never hurt her like my dad and her ex-boyfriend had, and I’m grateful for his faith in my ability too!:

 

Author's note:

Aloha! My readers and subbies! Despite the relatively lack of drama in this chapter, I felt touched after I have written this chapter (and ponder on its plot), because it somehow shows me the way God loves each one of us -- that He loves us dearly even when we are hating Him, that He loves us dearly even when we are not living up to His expectation, and that He sees our potential when we could see none in ourselves! In fact, I really admire this quote from a church community service program that I went to, this is pretty much how it goes -- "The kingdom of God is like trashed cans -- the world might see us as garbage, but God sees our worth and value." Hope you all have a great day! God loves you and so do I! <3