Secret Hardships

Life of an Intern

I watch as San E nods his head and I simply watch as Daniel stands there staring off to space.

“So she dropped something right?”

I look at them shocked I wanted to slip up to them and ask what I forgot but I’m more than stuck between a wall and a large group of people.

“Yeah she forgot her Ipad on the chair she was sitting on. They told me to try and find her in the lobby.”

I almost want to hit myself as I think to myself, “How can I be so stupid? I’ve never been this forgetful.”

When we reach the lobby everyone slowly makes it out of the elevator and I silently and invisibly slip out and sigh in relief to escape tight spaces with people. Those situations I hate the most.

My phone starts ringing and I sigh when I look down to see my ex boyfriend is calling me again.

“I should answer his call just this once,” I click answer, “Yes?”

“Why don’t you answer my calls?”

I move away from the elevators towards a less crowded area where Daniel could find me if he really does have my Ipad.

“I avoid your calls and you since I broke up with you. You need to get over me and move on with your life.”

“Or what you’ll send your brother after me?”

I stare at my phone surprised, “Maybe I will but my new boyfriend will do some damage to you.”

My ex laughs, “New boyfriend my . I’m the best you’ll ever get.”

“You mean an egotistical who wears more makeup than a drag queen.”

I pull the phone away from my ear as he starts cussing at me calling me cruel names that use to break me into pieces, but after I dated him for a little over two years; it is even harder to make me cry.

I simply wait for him to finish his rant and I simply say, “Look I just want you to realize that I want to be left alone. Can’t you see that I want to do that Mason. I ignore your calls or when I do talk to you I say the same thing like I will now; leave me the hell alone and get a life.”

He starts going off again and I simply pull the phone away from my ear yet I still hear him. I hear all the names he has to say about me and what he’d do if he ever got my hands on me.

I laugh a bit to myself thinking, “I guess I finally broke him.”

I see Daniel walking towards me and I simply smile at him and say to Mason, “Sorry Mason I have to do now. So please well I’m being nice delete my number and never try to contact me again.”

He reaches me and smiles, “Rachel-ssi you left this in your spot.”

I look up at him shocked, “Oh you don’t have to add ssi to my name just Rachel will be fine.”

He nods his head, “I guess I’ll see you next week. Make sure to be on time.”

I smile at Daniel and nod my head slowly, “True but I hear Dalmatian will be releasing a new CD soon so that means that Gurupop won’t won’t last much longer.”

“Well there will still be a lot of things going on for you.”

I nod my head and smile up at him, “Yes, I know I still have to write…. Ahh never mind.”

“Ahh I heard you write poetry for some papers.”

I nod my head, “Yes, I’m actually going to get a book of poetry published in a month or two so I’ll be busy with that.”

“Why become an intern for English shows then?”

I smile up at him sadly, “It’s not really something I’m ready to talk about.”

“Umm… Okay, if you say so.”

I nod and try to look happy, “Hey some San E, a few other people, and I were going to get something to eat together do you want to come with us?”

I shake my head, “I’d like that, but I have some things to do.”

“Ah… are you sure?”

I nod my head, “Yeah I’m sure thank you though.”

“I’ll walk you to the bus if you want me to.”

“No, it’s alright I got my car today so I can drive,” I bow slightly, “I had fun seeing how everything works behind stage.”

“Ahh if you say so,” he looks at the front doors, “I should go now. Make sure you’re safe.”

I smile and nod my head and watch him run off to meet with everyone else.

When he leaves, I slowly make it outside and walk to the bus stop.

I take a breath of air and wait for the bus to get to the hospital. In reaching it, I pull out my phone to see a picture of me and my best friend, Rae. I look at how she’s smiling but you can clearly see the bandages on her head.

I wipe my eyes and walk past the nurses’ station since they know I visit every day at the same time they don’t bother having me sign in anymore.

I see her personal nurse and smile, “Hey how is she today?”

GFBJjKBtHaYTYn5bm6uRNgJPvvz2IV4HN8Dx27cF

She looks over from her coffee in her hand and answers, “Same as she has been. She’s excited to hear about your first day.”

I nod and wake into Rae’s room, “Hey girl are you ready to hear about my first day.”

Rae looks away from her window to me where she slowly and weakly nods her head.

F8WPHsZ4lGktUX42xnzaeebl4aSM9pkWXuzxt8lm

“Well I think I’ll thank your nurses for moving your bed by the window.”

She nods, “You worry too much about me.”

“What you’re practically the only family I have here. Of course I’m looking out for you. So Rae what do you want to hear about first?”

“So you got the job?”

I nod my head, “Of course I did you know studying all the time even though I hated it more than anything to help you was worth it.”

“You know you don’t’ have to work as an intern just to help me with my dream. You don’t have to live mine for me. I know you like being a writer and taking pictures. That’s all you want. You want to be  giving orders and not following them. This I know what your dreams are so you can stop if you want.”

I shake my head, “Nope, Rae I want to do this. It helps fill my free time when I’m not at school or writing. Also I may be an intern but they still pay. It gives me a small amount of extra cash. Also I get to help with shows that I love. I mean I get to work with Gurupop and they  even told me I may get to help out with Pops in Seoul.”

“That’s so cool. Congrats.”

Rae tries to stand up but I catch her and make her lay back down, “Be careful. Do you want to get out of the room for a bit?”

She starts nodding her head.

“Good.”

I call for a nurse to bring a wheelchair.

When she brings the wheelchair in I help put Rae in it and I attach her IV to the chair so I can push her around.

I want Rae to have as much fun as she can before she dies.

I shake my head and wipe my tears away.

I will not think of that.

I will live my life like an intern and help her live her dream even if it’s through me.