Worries

Life of an Intern

Your POV

I drop my phone and run out to the hospital.

I get through the doors and right away I see doctors running around.

I spot Rae’s doctor and run to him, “Mr. Lee what’s going on?”

“Rae hasn’t been in her room and we were worried and now we found out she’s on the roof.”

“What?” I scream as I race past Dr. Kim.

I race up the stairs and onto the rooftop to see a girl barely holding herself up on her own.

“Rae!” I shout her name without even thinking about it.

She turns toward me and I see who defeated she looks much like she did when she told me she was dying.

q6Ey-qxDJ6AEl4OsEP4zE_Ww-pta943YNi5bgVx_

I watch as she looks at me with such dead eyes as she whispers my name, “Rae why are you acting like this?”

I slowly move towards her being careful not to spook her.

She pulls herself closer to the hospital’s edge and I stop in my steps.

She looks at me as she stands unsteadily, “It’s because you are leaving me in the shadows. You have your writing, an amazing internship, and a boyfriend now why would you need me.”

I look at her shocked it’s not because I’m dating Daniel Chae her bias from Dalmatian, but because I’m dating someone and she believes that i’m leaving her for the limelight.

“I wouldn’t do that Rae you’re my sister. Why would you think that?”

“Cause I’m sickly I’m pretty damn sure I’m going to die soon and you haven’t been visiting me.”

“It’s because I thought you hated me for dating Daniel your ultimate bias.”

She chuckles as she says, “I’m not a sasaeng fan. I’m your best friend and his fan which means I would want the best for the two of you, but if he hurts you if I’m dead or not I’ll kill him.”

I laugh even though I know she’s telling the truth and sadly I know that she’ll more than likely be to sick to do anything or she really will be dead.

I watch as she looks over the side and then looks back at me, “Would you hate me if I ever killed myself?”

I’m shocked by her question.

What the hell is this?

What has come over her?

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m tired of being like this,” she barely says, “Rachel, I’m tired of being in pain. I know I was just joking a bit before, but I can’t stand being like this. I can barely keep myself up. Lucky for me the doctors here are idiots so it wasn’t hard to get up here.”

“Rae, get away from the edge. For crying out loud we just made up,” I know I’m crying in front of her and for the first time I don’t care.

I can’t believe I’m crying infront of her I never allowed this before.

I didn’t cry in front of her when my parents died or when kids made fun of me because of that and I was adopted.

I look at her and see a slight glum smile, “See you can cry around me.”

I shake my head, “Don't you dare about killing yourself again. You’re not going to leave me here alone.”

“You won’t be alone though,” she reasons with me.

I know she’s right but, “You’re my friend Rae I’d miss you like a storm and yes I would be a bit mad are you. Rae, you’re all I have left. I know you’re in pain. I can see it in your face, but that doesn’t mean I’m okay with the fact that everytime something happens you talk about it.”

She looks at me shocked, “I don’t say that a lot.”

I walk up to her and slap her, “Yes, you do. Everytime the pain starts getting worse or your not taking your pain meds you always say something about killing yourself and a few times if I would help you.”

She reaches up and touches her cheek, “You slapped me.”

“Damn right I did! Rae did you even listen to what I said?”

She nods her head, “Yeah I did. I’m sorry that I’m such a horrible friend and sister.”

I nod my head as I look at her, “Damn right,” she looks away so I add, “but I get why you act the way you do. Still Rae when I leave here after visiting I always worry about you. You are my friend and we may not be related by blood but you have always been my sister. Rae you are the only family I have left and I don’t want to lose you.”

I stand there and soon i feel her weakly wrap her arms around me, “I will never leave you. No matter what happens we will always be together.”

I feel my body weaken itself and we fall to the ground and instead of me holding onto her her I’m in her arms as we crouch on the rooftop.

I start crying as I wrap my arms around her, “you promise that you’ll never leave me.”

She nods her head and whispers to me, “Of course we got matching tattoos remember with each other’s names.”

“I still can’t believe we did that.”

She nods her head as she sets her hand on my upper chest where I got my matching tattoos when she got sick.

My tattoo is right on my heart and her tattoo is on her ribs.

It's a design of an infinity symbol with the word sisters in it and on either side of it is a pensee and a daffodil.

Though I got her name tattooed under it and the date she was born. When she dies I’m going to add the date.

I smile as I touch where her hand is and smile at her, “Rae you know what if I ever have a daughter I’m going to name her after you.”

Her face brightens, “Really?”

I nod my head, “Yeah.”

Soon a group of doctors walk into view and Rae sighs, “I guess I have to go back to my room.”

I nod my head, “damn right you do since you gave everyone a scare.”

I sigh when she’s out of sight and I look up when i notice that there’s still someone on the roof with me.

I look up to see Daniel.

“Daniel what are you doing here?”

“I got worried since you ran out so fast you threw your phone at my head,” he chuckles  as a small sad smile appears on his lips, “Rae seems to be better.”

“She better be I gave her a talking to. It’s what i get for a sister like her.”

“Sister?”

“Yeah when my parents died her parents adopted me.”

He nods his head, “Come on I should get you home. You have work to do in the morning.”

I nod my head as he helps support my tired body against his as he leads me down to his car and back home.

How did he get up there without being noticed?

Oh well I’ll ask him tomorrow.

I lean my head against the cool glass window as he drives to my home.