Emergency

Life of an Intern

I wake up around noon to see that my phone had exploded.

I look at them to see that it’s from a nurse at Rae’s hospital.

I hold my breathe and mumble, “This is why i don’t sleep in.”

I jump up and throw on clothes not caring about how I look.

I look in the garage and go against my better judgement and jump inside.

I sigh as I start the car and try to make my way to the hospital.

I stop at a stoplight and message Daniel that I slept until a few minutes ago.

When the light turns green I step on my gas.

Daniel’s POV

I notice that Rachel sent me a message saying she woke up awhile ago.

I sigh in relief until I get to work to see that.

It’s a little bit later until i get a message from San E saying, “Did you hear?”

“Hear what?”

“That Rachel got in a car accident this morning.”

“What?”

“Rachel got hit by some driver that didn’t notice the light changing.”

“What hospital is she in?”

He tells me and i take the car to see if she’s alright. I meet San E at the entrance and we find our way to her hospital room.

We open the door to find her fussing with a nurse telling the nurse that she’s going to be late for something.

“Rachel,” I call out to her as I walk into the room, “you need to calm down. The nurse here is just trying to do her job.”

Your POV

“I know that, but I need to get to her room, before she does something stupid.”

San E looks between us and leaves the room with the nurse.

Daniel walks over to me and brushes my hair to the side so her kisses my wrapped forehead.

“I’m surprised you woke up so soon. They made it sound horrible.”

“I’ve been in worse,” I tell him without a second thought.

He chuckles as he pulls me into a careful hug scared that I’m going to break.

“Don’t say that. I don’t want to think of something like that.”

I giggle as I feel his hair tickle my nose, “Why say something like that?”

He looks away from me and I swear I notice a pink tinge to his cheeks, “Because I think I like you.”

“Well yeah. I mean I like you too.”

“No, I mean this is a kind of like that may turn into love. You have been working with us for two months now so i’ve been thinking about this for a while now.”

I blush as I set down on his shoulder, “I’m glad that you like me, because I like you too.”

He laughs a bit as he leans over and kisses my forehead again.

I look up at him and I swear I was going to kiss him until I hear the door open again.

I look over to see Rae in her wheelchair and I swear I felt my heart become ripped out when I notice tears in her eyes.

I try to stand up but I lose my balance and daniel has to hold me up.

“Rae, please don't run from me.”

She laughs bitterly, “You know I can’t even walk anymore without help.”

“It’s a figure of speech. Look Rae, I’m trying to reason with my best friend who I have never fought with in my life.”

She shakes her head and leaves me be.

I feel tears start dripping from my eyes and Daniel pull me into a hug, but all I feel is pain and guilt.

I smile when Daniel pulls my head having me look him in the face, “What’s wrong?”

“I feel guilty for some reason. All Rae has had in the world is me. Her parents won’t even look at her since they heard the news. She’s dying and they can’t stand the look of her.”

I keep crying into his chest. Soon I feel him move and leave the room. I sigh and turn into the wall. I keep staring at the wall until my door opens again. I look over my shoulder to see Daniel walk back into the room with a cute stuffed animal and dozen roses.

I smile at him as he looks down at me and he asks, “Go out with me?”

I nod my head and give him a kiss on the lips then look down blushing.