Now Hired

Life of an Intern

I smile as I finish pulling on my comfortable jacket and smile slightly at the image of me in a mirror.

q8rSOdUUq33JCNic10qxluEgsJ0Zefm21QxxWZnE

I move around my bag and check out my outfit surprised I’m being so laid back after so long of being around my publisher.

It’s surprising to know that I’m still living in Seoul after 6 years. I went from a regular scholarship student in a private school in New York City to one in Seoul. I stayed in Seoul because even though most people I could not stand I still stayed because truthfully what did I have to go back to in the states.

I have always loved the shows that are floating around Seoul and that as well where they do kpop shows in English for fans all around the world. I want to work on one even though I’m not some famous singer or actor I want people to know of different cultures and Korean just happens to be one that I’ve lived most of my life part of.

I sigh shaking my head not wanting to draw myself off track. I need to be at the studio in half an hour to go through my interview to be an intern in the same studio as the GURUPOP Show. I’m excited about that maybe I can meet Daniel Chae from Dalmatian. I’m a big fan of Dalmatian and when I got a call from the guy in charge of GURUPOP and heard that they needed an intern I became ecstatic.

Still as I walk to the building, my interview is scheduled during a showing, which I’m perfectly fine with. I’ll give up one day of watching it if I can get the chance of working on the set.  I make it into the building sighing in relief when I’m past the crowd of random people surprised that there’s even any here usually this part of buildings are almost deserted. I make it into the building and smile at the person sitting behind the front desk. I pull out my schedule card and identification.

“Hello I have a meeting with,” I look at the card, “Mr. Kim.”

“Name,” the person says sounding bored and tired with his life.

“Rachel Lee,” before he can say identification I hand him my schedule card and identification.

He looks everything over everything then sends me up.

I sit in front of another secretary for another ten minutes or so until they tell me that Mr. Kim is ready to see me.

I walk into his office and explain everything in person that’s on my resume.

“Look we’re looking for someone who’s good with languages and you fit the bill. It says that you grew up in the states and you even wrote that you visit friends and family once a year. I think you are the one we will hire to be the intern. I hope you make it far in this business.”

He stands up and I follow his action and shake his hand.

“Thank you,” I say as I let go of his hand.

“Well I’ll show you where you’ll work lucky for you they are filming GURUPOP right this moment so you’ll get to see what you’ll see about every Wednesday.”

I nod my head as I follow Mr. Kim out of his office and into the recording studio.

“The original intern had found a different job so we wanted to replace her. Can I ask you that if they ask for something that the old intern would do cn you do it. Just for you’ll see during this show’s shooting you’ll know what you’ll do.”

I nod my head and sit down in a chair in the front of the area. Before they start filming, Mr. Kim calls over Daniel and San E over.

“Daniel San E this is the new intern Rachel Lee.”

I bow to them slightly and forget that where I am and say in perfect English, “Please take care of me while  I work here.”

Daniel smiles at me answer in English, “You speak perfect English.”

“I hope I do I lived in America until six years ago because my father’s job.”

“Are you in school?”

“I’m a third year university student, but I already have a degree in entertainment and photography.”

“Ahh what do you plan to do?”

“Be a scriptwriter or well there’s so much that I want to do that deals with entertainment.”

I look at my watch and sigh, “Isn’t it almost time for you guys to do your show streaming?”

A stagehand on the set calls, “Five minutes before filming.”

I watch the entire show and laugh a little as I read the comments on my phone during the streaming of their show.

When they ask for something Mr. Kim slowly elbows me and I walk onto the stage and hand them what they needed.

I sat back down and a few comments after that irk me.

I start to mumble about stupid people and Mr. Kim sits there reading the comments like its an everyday thing.

When they finish up I sigh in relief since I didn’t’ think I was going to stay here very long and I have to leave to go see my mother.

I stand up and lean down to pick up my bag.

When I straighten up and head to leave I run into someone.

I look up to see Daniel Chae who looked surprised himself.

“I’m sorry I should have looked where I was going.”

“Its alright my fault.”

I nod my head and smile at him, “I guess I’ll see you guys next week.”

“Oh so you really are going to be our new helper.”

I nod my head as I start walking away from the studio.

I walk into the bathroom and silently celebrate that I got the job that I wanted even if I’m starting at the bottom.

I straighten everything out and walk out of the bathroom and to the elevators.

I push the down button so I can go to the lobby and leave.

I feel see someone’s shadow next to me and I look up to see a small group of the studio crew.

I sigh pulling on my hat on my head and my heavy jacket. I wonder if I should wait to put on my mask.

The elevator doors open and we get on the elevator.

We hear someone yell to keep the doors open so I push the button for them to open the doors from behind some tall guy.

San E and Daniel get on the elevator, which surprises me a bit, but I simply shrug it off and wait for the elevator to reach the first floor.

San E looks at Daniel and asks, “What do you think of the new intern?”

“I think she has promise in her future.”

I’m surprised by what Daniel had just said about me.

“What do you mean by that?”

“I saw her resume when we had that small break when I talked to Mr. Kim she has a lot of schooling under her belt. She knows a few languages besides Korean and English. Plus do you know that poet that publishes in important magazines and newspapers?”

San E nods his head, “Yeah, what of him?”

“You mean her. The poet is Rachel.”

“Why would she want to work as low as an intern for the studio?”

Daniel shrugs his shoulders.

In my head I’m doing a little dance and jumping up and down that they think so highly of my poems I publish that I’ll still  be publishing.