Destruction

Parallel Paths

 

Back on the path my fear from being chased by a bear subsides and I rush back to the bubble containing the world of Sein and Ziggy but it’s now gray and show no signs of the people who I watched.

Thinking about the way Ziggy rushed to rescue Sein I feel an airiness about me and I can tell a smile is creeping onto my face. Woohyun came to protect me!

I shake my head at the sudden thought. I do not like Woohyun, he’s annoying.

 

Erasing my thoughts about the relationship Woohyun and I have, I think of everyone else who appeared.

Dongwoo and Hoya weren’t at all friends and Dongwoo actually seemed rather pained by Hoya’s presence in the stable, which is pretty weird considering how they’re such good friends in my world. I wonder what happened.

 

Myungsoo actually talked quite a bit and was flirting with Sungyeol! Extremely contradicting what happens now, where Sungyeol is usually carrying on most of the conversation himself while Myungsoo nods here and there with barely a word in edgewise.

 

Then Sungjong was a diva and didn’t seem to really care about anything. This isn’t too far-flung from how he acts today but to think that he was my hyung and didn’t do anything to stop me from riding my horse into the woods! I would have stopped him and made sure he was safe!

 

Ignoring the dissatisfaction I feel towards Sungjong being my hyung I leave my jumbled brain alone and turn to the bubbles, noticing that once again all of them have gone gray except for one, this time coming from close to what I have deemed the end of the path. I walk over to it and examine the picture that is captured inside. It’s a city that appears rather dark with all the buildings creating black silhouettes against the red backdrop of the sky.

I can’t say that I’m excited, I’m actually moderately frightened, but I don’t think I have any other option but to go in, so I stick my hand inside the bubble and dive into the super scary looking city.

 

A bright white light again surrounds me before fading and I’m standing in front of a dark brown, run-down apartment building. The doors are broken and the windows from the first three floors are all busted out. Looking down the street all the other buildings seem to be in the same state of upheaval if not worse. Luckily I have no physical body in this world either so I can’t be wounded or attacked but I’m still pretty freaked out.

I begin to panic since I don’t see any signs of life whatsoever when I see something move out of the corner of my eye.

Staying alert I see two people rush across the street and into the apartment building, just slow enough for me to notice the faint blue and red outlines shining around them.

I quickly follow them into the building and once inside I see them split, blue going left and red going right. I decide to follow the Sungyeol of this world since he’s similar to the Sungyeol I know, tall and lanky, which means he’ll be easier to follow.

Reaching the end of the hallway “Sungyeol” goes through a door and suddenly disappears. Slightly panicking, I soon realize that he’s climbing stairs.

I rush after him and after going up what seems like a zillion flights of stairs he ducks out into another hallway. Tailing close behind, we stop in front of the fourth door from the opening we came out of.

We stand there for what feels like an eternity when I notice a figure making its way to us from the opposite end of the hall.

In a few seconds I come to the conclusion that it’s “Myungsoo.”

Once he reaches us the two of them nod at each other, each pull out a key and turn towards to door with “Myungsoo” opening what appears to be a normal lock and “Sungyeol” opening the padlock, right above it. When the door opens “Sungyeol” swiftly enters and I quickly go inside after him, while “Myungsoo” locks the apartment back up.

 

Further inside “Sungyeol” silently lights a candle which allows me to discover what lies within the apartment. 
There’s a window on the back wall which is out and bordered up with no light seeping through. Then there’s a couch which is folded out into a bed and a table with papers scattered all over it set-up slightly in front of it. Above the bed is a nameplate almost like what you would see on a dorm door reading "Ryan and Collin" I wonder who's who. The kitchen is immediately to the right as we walk in and has packets of food everywhere, like someone has been hoarding it for months. To the left is a bathroom of sorts and then, after the kitchen, to the right are three closed doors, each with a nameplate on it. The furthermost left says "David and Phil", the middle reads "Kyle and Seth", with the one furthest to the right having only "Jake" written on it.
The house is relatively silent, yet now that I concentrate on it I can hear breathing, though I’m not sure whose it is.

“Sungyeol” appears to be making his way to the pull out couch when “Myungsoo” suddenly appears.

"Ryan we need to tell the others." 

"Right Collin" Ryan says as he nods and goes through the door furthest to the left while Collin goes through the middle one. 

So "Myungsoo” is Collin and "Sungyeol” is Ryan, got it.

 

The “me” and “Woohyun” of this world walk out of the door furthest to the left glowing caramel and green respectively, followed by Ryan. 

"I'm going to get Jake, so you sit down, okay David?" “I” say.
Meaning that Phil is "Woohyun" and David is "me".

I turn my attention to the middle door where out walks "Hoya" who ends up turning right back around since Collin peeks out of the doorway asking for help waking up Seth.

Seth seems just like Dongwoo, and according to the nameplate that means “Hoya” is Kyle.


Then walking out of the last door is Phil and who I assume is Jake, surrounded by a pink glow. 

I hear Seth whining about not wanting to get up before Collin exits the room following shortly by Kyle and a still drowsy Seth.

Everyone makes their way over to the bed/couch with, starting from the left, Collin, David, and Phil sitting on the half closer to the wall with Kyle and Seth sitting in the middle against the headboard, while Jake sits across from Phil and Ryan stays standing.
At this point several more candles have been lit and I can finally make out the fact that they are all dressed in black with black hair and have the same tattoo on the left side of their neck; an infinity symbol. It seems like they’re in a gang or something.


Suddenly Ryan clears he throat, gaining everyone's attention. "We need to split up" he says seriously, shifting his gaze from one person to another.

Collin nods, probably already aware of what Ryan was going to say. 
I see Phil tense, his hands curling into fists, yet he doesn't object.
David is focused on Phil, and slowly uncurls his fists, sliding his hand so that Phil and his fingers are interlaced. 
Seth, who is sitting between Kyle's legs slumps against Kyle's chest, while Kyle buries his head in Seth's hair and tightens his arms around Seth's waist. 
Jake starts crying hysterically, falling forward into the bed sheet. 

"Are you sure about this Ryan?" Phil questions.

Instead Collin answers, "With seven of us living together we're too noticeable. If we split up we'll have a better chance of survival."

"But we've been fine up until now!" Jake screams hoarsely. 

"That's only been on pure luck" Collin coldly says

At this point I can tell Ryan is blinking back tears even though he's the one who brought it up and Seth and Kyle have grabbed Jake sheltering him between their bodies.

"If you two are absolutely positive that we must split up then tonight will be our last night here,  we'll divide the supplies then tomorrow each of us will go our separate ways when night falls" Phil states staring intently at Collin and Ryan. 

Ryan nods, "They'll be here in two days time so that's perfect" 

I hear a collective gasp. 


"What are you taking about? How do you know that they are coming?" David shouts.

Now all eyes are on Ryan and Collin, who has moved to be by Ryan's side. 

"We saw them and they are definitely coming, or at least close to here, if not here exactly" Collin explains.

Everyone seems to accept the reasoning, though I'm pretty lost. 

Jake is the first to recover from the news and with tear-stained cheeks he gets up and hugs everyone before quietly entering his room and shutting the door behind him. 
Kyle and Seth follow suit, both silently crying as they give out their goodbye hugs then escape to their room.
Next is David, who simply stands and stares at Ryan and Collin before turning to leave, yet he cracks and whips around  running the few steps over to the pair ,hugging them both at the same time before detaching himself and running to hide in his room. 
Phil sighs as he gets up, not even bothering to glance at Ryan and Collin; instead he heads into the kitchen and starts sorting through the food making three piles.

With everyone gone Ryan finally lets he tears fall and Collin quickly wraps his arms around him, whispering gently that it'll be okay. 

Curious as to what Phil is doing I go into the kitchen and watch him divide the food until he finishes, noticing that the middle pile is slightly bigger than the other two. 
Once he's done sorting he grabs seven back packs; all black. The first pile gets stored into two different packs which he then sets at the end of the pull out bed, where Ryan and Collin are currently asleep, snuggling into each other. 
Going back to the piles he divides the middle and slightly larger one equally between three back packs. He them takes the bags over to Kyle and Seth's room, silently placing them right inside the door. 
The door is open just enough for me to see a double bed in which Jake is laying in the middle with Kyle and Seth on either side of him, all three sleeping.

Returning to the final pile in the kitchen, Phil splits it like the first pile, between two different sacks. He then puts a bag over each shoulder and enters David and his room. 
Following him in, both of us notice that David is still awake, silently sitting in the middle of the double bed. "Why didn't you go to sleep?" Phil questions tiredly as he climbs into David's waiting arms. 
"I had to make sure that you were going to be okay" David replies yawning. Phil chuckles before mumbling "stupid" and falling asleep. David soon does the same and even though I doubt that I need sleep, I somehow end up passed out on the end of the bed.

Yet I wake back up all too soon as I hear a siren going off.
Bolting off the bed I realize that the bed sheets are gone with the mattress torn to shreds. Why would they do that?

I rush out into the living room to be greeted with everyone snapping on their bags and putting black on their cheeks. 
"Hopefully we'll meet again in another life" Phil says somberly. Everyone nods and looking around I take in the fact that everything has been cleared out and what remains has been destroyed as well, so that it looks like no one has lived in the apartment for quite some time. 

Hugging on last time everyone heads out into the hallway. Ryan and Collin leave first heading to the left and giving a two salute before disappearing through the door that leads to the stairs, as silent as always. 
Next David, who had been clutching Phil's hand tightly, let's go and slips down the hallway to the right, waving as he goes. Kyle, Seth, and Jake go next, heading to the right a bit before turning left leading to what I assume is another staircase. 
Finally, Phil double checks his bag, before heading to the right, the same direction David went. 
Trailing him, we end up going down a couple flights of stairs when after turning a corner, David is there, apparently waiting. 
I see a light smile flit across Phil's face before he jumps into David's arms. 
"I'll always wait for you since as long as we're together we can do anything" David says before giving Phil a chaste kiss.

 

With that everything starts to fade leaving me with the image of Phil and David smiling at each other as I end up back on the lake, in the middle of the path, right where I started.