Knights, Horses, and a Bear

Parallel Paths

 

A bright white light surrounds me before fading and I’m standing in a patch of grass right outside the castle; which is absolutely huge and while it’s made out of gray stone, it’s polished so that it gleams in the sunlight. Looking around there seems to be an exquisite garden further back behind the castle and a stable to the left, along with a river somewhere near by; I can hear a trickle of running water, but the actual stream is out of my realm of sight. After observing my surroundings I glance at myself and realize that I’m semi-transparent, yet somehow I’m not shocked by this fact.

 

“Ziggy can you take me on a horse ride?”

 

Looking forward I notice a little boy, probably eight or nine a few feet in front of me, who is glowing the exact caramel color that I do. Glancing at Ziggy I presume, he looks to be maybe fifteen or sixteen and he’s has an emerald green color around him.

 

“I don’t think so Sein, but I’ll take you to the stables if you want” Ziggy replies.

 

They start walking in the direction of the stables and since I haven’t figured out what’s happening/how this works I end up following them.

 

Sein who I presume is me, runs about picking up leaves and twirling twigs giggling until he falls which then makes Ziggy, who I presume is Woohyun laugh.

The walk is taking longer then I expected, but maybe I’m just more out of shape then I thought. They eventually fall into a comfortable silence with Sein walking slightly in front of Ziggy which gives me time to take notice of their clothes.

Sein is wearing a blue tunic with gold details on it and gold tights paired with flat brown shoes. Ziggy is dressed similarly yet his tunic is more fitted and a gray color, with no accents, matched with black pants and boots, along with a belt around his waist with a sword on his left hip.

 

Finally reaching the stables Sein runs over to a white horse.

“Ziggy~ I wanna feed Angel a carrot!!!” Sein exclaims holding onto the stall door and jumping up and down.

“I don’t have any Sein. If you wanted to feed her you should have brought carrots yourself”, Ziggy replies holding up his hands to show that they’re empty.

“Don’t worry I have some” chimes in some new guy with blond hair who’s carrying a bale of hay over his right shoulder with a bucket of carrots and water each, in his left hand and has a sunshine yellow glow encircling him. Seems Dongwoo is here too.

 

“Leon! I wanna feed Angel!” Sein screams with his arm outstretched, attempting to touch Angel.

“Need any help there Leon?” Ziggy asks but doesn’t seem to mean as he picks Sein up so that he can pet Angel.

Chuckling Leon sets everything that he’s carrying down, then picks out a carrot which he then hands to Ziggy, who then gives it to Sein. Why he doesn’t just give the carrot to Sein I don’t know but then again Dongwoo himself has always been odd.

 

I stay close to Ziggy and Sein simply observing. While Sein clearly has all his attention centered on Angel, Ziggy is completely focused on Sein. I can’t exactly place the look in his eyes but I would say it looks rather similar to the look Woohyun gives me.

As Ziggy and Sein hang out by Angel Leon turns his attention back to all the items that he carried in.

After a few minutes a dark-haired man, who to no surprise on my part is glowing a deep purple, walks in and calls for Ziggy. Leon glances up at the new guy for a brief second in which his face seems to contort in pain before it passes and he turns away, looking at Sein and Ziggy.

Gently setting Sein down and directing him over to Leon, Ziggy takes his sweet time in responding to who I presume is a different version of Hoya.

 

“How may I assist you Erix?” Ziggy asks in what seems to be an overly polite voice.

“You haven’t completely your daily training yet, have you Ziggy?” Erix replies in exactly the same way.

“I have been assisting Sein”

“That’s Lord Sein to you!” Erix says in a low and threatening tone. Then Sein walks over and proceeds to climb onto Ziggy’s back.

“I like Ziggy” Sein says, laying his head on Ziggy’s shoulder, and the glint in his eye along with Ziggy trying to stop a smirk tells me that Erix just got put in his place.

Staring at Erix I notice the hurt flit through his eyes before he says, “That doesn’t change the fact that Ziggy needs to be at the training grounds in ten minutes” then his leaves the stable in a hurry.

 

“Sein you know that wasn’t very nice” Leon reprimands as Ziggy turns around, situating Sein so that they are facing each other.

“Oh lighten up Leon” Ziggy responds while high-fiving Sein. “Anyways I seriously do have to get to training”

“But Ziggy! I want to play with you longer! We could go horse-back riding!”complains Sein as Ziggy sets him down. 

Chuckling Ziggy shakes his head while ruffling Sein’s hair. “Why don’t you give Angel another carrot?” he suggests.

As Sein runs off the smile slides off Ziggy’s face as he becomes serious.

“Don’t let Sein go riding unless someone goes with him” he firmly tells Leon.

“How is he going to saddle a horse? He can’t even get over the stall door to open it” Leon replies as if Ziggy is an idiot.

“Leon, don’t underestimate him. If I find out he went riding without supervision I will hurt you”

“No need to go that far Ziggy”

“Leon! Last time he went into the woods and came back two days later with a zillion cuts and scraps on him and a high fever! He finally just recovered a few days ago” Ziggy exclaims, exasperated.

“Okay, okay I get it, no horse riding for Sein” Leon answers.

“Good. See you and Sein later” Ziggy says before departing to go to training.

 

After Ziggy leaves, Sein occupies himself as Leon cleans out every stall.

The last stall is Angel’s and I can see Sein closely watching everything Leon is doing.

When Leon finishes Angel’s stall, instead of putting her back in her stall he decides to take a nap.

That’s when the pit of my stomach drops out. Leon/Dongwoo you idiot!!!!

 

Sein jumps at the opportunity and begins to tack-up Angel.

It takes him quite a while but he soon finishes and climbs up.

I hesitate for a second before seeing if I can also get on Angel. Luckily I am able to get on and even though it seems Angel can sense that I’m there she doesn’t do anything dangerous. We exit the stable at a brisk trot riding back past the castle in the direction of what I assume is the woods when we’re stopped by what seems to be two guards who just happen to have red and blue glows enveloping them.

 

“Hey Sein where are you going?” says the one glowing red.

“I want to go to the garden and I was too tired to walk so Leon said I could ride Angel over” Sein lies smoothly.

“What do you think Michael? Do you think Sein is telling us the truth?” the Sungyeol of this time persists.

Michael or this time’s Myungsoo just stares at Sein, before slightly smirking. Sein smiles right back as Michael’s face goes blank. “If he wants to go to the garden why not let him go Niki?” Michael replies, turning to face Niki who is currently blushing for some reason.

I can see Sein stifle a giggle before smiling. Michael nods to Sein, and off we go.

 

Surprisingly we actually end up in the garden, or more like the orchard. Sein disembarks and ties Angel to the branch of an apple tree, before starting to run through the rows of trees. Quickly following him, we run through several rows of trees before slowing down and reaching a path with shrubbery on both sides that is taller then me. Sein immediately walks in, and even though I’m a bit nervous I decide that it’s best to follow him since I have no clue how to get back to Angel.

 

Making our way through the shrub maze I take notice of what seems like a scar on the back of Sein’s neck; however, I don’t get much time to ponder over what it is as we reach a clearing that appears to be located in the middle of the maze. It’s perfectly circular in shape with three benches in the middle surrounded by various flowers that seem to have been meticulously planted.

 

“Sam! I came to visit you!” Sein suddenly shouts catching me off guard.

I twirl around, baffled since I don’t see any people around until I follow Sein with my eyes and realize that he just disappeared into a rectangle of sunflowers. Moving closer I realize that there’s only a row a sunflowers along the edges of the rectangle, making an opening in the middle that’s perfect to hide in. Squeezing my way into the hidden space so that I have a better view of what’s happening I see Sein along with a feminine looking boy who has white blond hair placing a bookmark into whatever he’s reading and he’s glowing pink. I guess everybody’s here.

 

“So you’re all healed up, huh Sein?” Sam asks.

“Yup and I even have a scar as proof of my adventure!” Sein says happily turning around and pointing to the mark that I noticed earlier.

“You should be more careful Sein” Sam remarkes worriedly, gently skimming over the white line with his index finger.

“No need to put wrinkles in that pretty face of yours Sam, I know exactly what I’m doing and I’m heading out to explore again today!” Sein exclaims as he makes his way out of the sunflower prisoin.

“I sure hope Ziggy gets to you first” Sam mumbles before nonchalantly picking his book back up.

 

What a great help you were in stopping him Sam!

Rushing after Sein I thankfully catch up to him. As we walk along I attempt to think of ways to stop him, but since I don’t have any physical presence here I have no idea what I could do. Reaching Angel we both climb up and head out, this time actually going to the woods if I’m not mistaken.

As we ride along Sein sings softly, stopping when we arrive at the woods. There’s a path and I think it’s a good sign when Sein decides to follow it; that is up until he abruptly diverges from it. I begin to panic, yet Sein stays calm, taking in the beautiful scenery.

Attempting to calm down I try to control my breathing, even though I’m have no idea if I really even need to breath.

Eventually I settle down, unfortunately it's at the same moment that Sein starts to shake, violently. That’s when I look up and see that there’s a rather intimidating bear maybe five feet away from us. Both Sein and I seem to be frozen in place, but luckily Angel seems to have kept some of her sense and slowly backs up into the opening we just emerged from. Sadly she steps on a twig that snaps with the sound echoing around use even though I know it shouldn’t.

Focusing my attention onto the bear who I know is looking straight at us I’m torn on what action to take: run away or stay put.

Sein makes the decision for me, forcing Angel to keep backing up. Once we can’t see the bear anymore we bolt out of there.

Even though I think we’re safe I glance back only to see the bear giving chase.

 

Focusing back onto what’s in front of us I realize that we’re almost out of the woods, it’s so close, when Sein unexpectedly veers to the right. What’s are you doing?!?

We keep going, with the bear still following when we reach what seems to be an obstacle course of some sort.

At this time Sein begins screaming “Ziggy! Ziggy! Ziggy~~!!!!”

He continues to do this as we cut across the course and then turn right, again heading into what can only be more woods.

I don’t understand what he’s doing or why the bear insists on chasing us but Sein starts to weave in and out of trees while the bear is running in a straight line right at us.

 

As the bear is almost close enough to touch us Ziggy appears out of nowhere on a gray horse to the left of us.

“Sein you need to let go of Angel and grab onto me” Ziggy instructs, only holding onto his horses reins with his left hand and stretching out his right arm so that if Sein jumps he’ll land perfectly in Ziggy’s lap.

“But-but Angel!” Sein replies desperately with tears threatening to spill out of his eyes.

“Sein, NOW!” Ziggy shouts in a strained and panicked voice.

Crying hard Sein lets go of Angel’s reins and jumps into Ziggy who immediately turns his horse to the left, on the verge of tears himself, hugging Sein to his body as tightly as possible.

 

With that everything starts to fade leaving me with the image of Ziggy and Sein clinging to each other as I end up back on the lake, in the middle of the path, right where I started.