The Library

Parallel Paths

Sunggyu's POV

 

Opening the door, I walk into the city’s library. Once inside I barely notice all the details anymore since I’ve been here so many times; the conference room to the right of the entranceway, the restrooms located right before the scanners that beep if a book is overdue or hasn’t actually been checked out, how huge the library actually is. While it is the “city” library it’s located a little past the outskirts of the city, takes up an enormous amount of land and is two stories tall. Of course there are more libraries in the city but surprisingly this is the closest to where I live and since it’s so far out not that many people come here, though I have seen a few classmates from my university. The librarian himself, Kim Myungsoo, is in a couple of my music classes. He’s a tad creepy and I always feel as though he’s staring into my very soul, but he’s nice enough, never really leaving his position behind the desk except to put books away. Also, relatively quiet except when a guy named Lee Sungyeol visits. I don’t have any classes with Sungyeol but I know he goes to my school since he’s always complaining to Myungsoo about how he didn’t see him on campus and did he skip class and blah blah blah (he sure can complain). Once he’s done bothering Myungsoo he usually heads to the humor or technology section and every so often I see him check out a play. As I pass the bookshelves labeled humor I notice no Sungyeol but the other occupant that resides there, Jang Dongwoo, a performing arts major. Typically I don’t even have to see him to know he’s there. He laughs so loud that the only way to not hear him is to be on the second floor in the opposite corner of where he’s at, or simply tune him out. Today though he’s unusually quiet, which sparks my interest until I notice that I can hear a faint snoring sound emanating from his body. That explains that. Turning, I decide to head to the music section, hoping no one is there.


Sadly a certain Nam Woohyun currently has headphones on and is jamming out, banging his head and jumping around when I get there. I wonder what the girls at school would say if they saw this, but I think that’s exactly why Woohyun comes here, because it’s doubtful that any of the crazy fangirls from school know what a library is. Glancing at the pair of vacant headphones next to him I shake my head and quickly turn so that I’m hidden behind a bookshelf since the CD Woohyun was listening to seems to have ended. It’s not that I dislike Woohyun but I find it awkward to be alone with him. I’m sort of an outcast at school. It’s not like people are disgusted with me and completely ignore me, people always want me as their partner for projects, but I don’t really have friends. This is fine with me, yet obviously not so for Woohyun. Every time I see him (we have almost all our classes together) he basically attaches himself to my side and starts carrying on a conversation in which he usually responds to himself since I just brush him off. That irks most the girls in our school but I don’t care about them so when they give me dirty looks I just stare right through them.

Putting the disaproving looks of my female peers out of my head I make my way over to the spiral staircase and end up on the second floor.

The second floor is split roughly in half with one half being a science section and the other half being dramas and plays of various genres. Also located here are five TVs equipped with VCR, DVD, and B-ray players all for visitors’ convenience since all the drama DVDs are up here, while all the other DVDs have their own assigned section on the first floor. How does that make sense? Ignoring the strange layout that I’ve grown accustomed to I make my way though the drama shelves halting right before an opening in the bookshelves where a table and some chairs are located in front of a row of windows.

I peak out to see if there’s anyone there and I can say I’m not that surprised to find a feminine looking male situated in the opening. I am surprised to see that he’s put a couch in and is lounging on it with the back of his head facing in my direction. His feet are sticking off the end of the couch clad in blue socks that perfectly match with the shirt he’s wearing.

Forcing myself not to scoff I slowly and quietly back away, passing the spiral staircase, and head for the back corner where a relatively normal staircase is located. As I start heading down the flight of stairs I seriously wonder how Sungjong got a couch onto the second floor. For one the stairs don’t seem to be wide enough and I doubt that it was brought in through the windows. However, I’m not too exceedingly shocked that the fashion major got what he wanted, he is known for being quite the diva when he wants to be.

Exiting the staircase I end up in the middle of the back wall of the first floor. Turning to the right I make my way along the wall to the corner. Once there I check to make sure no one is around, which of course no one is since all the usual visitors are situated in all their usual spots and I haven’t seen anyone new that I would have to worry about. With one last glance I tug at the top of a relatively small brown colored book on the top shelf that is barely noticeable unless one is looking for it, which triggers a small section of the bookshelf to move back and over revealing a small staircase going down. 

 

I hurry through the opening, which is just the right size for me to get through, and begin making my way down the stairs. A couple steps down I hear the bookshelf click back into place at which point the lanterns hanging above me turn on. The staircase is one flight of rather narrow steps that turns sharply to the right about five steps from the bottom. Once I round the corner I see the familiar site of a second smaller library. It's probably less then half of the floor above, but it's stuffed with books in a way that the shelves upstairs aren't. If I take a book off the shelf down here the rest of the books immediately up the space making it almost impossible to get the book back into its rightful spot. Upstairs if I pick a book off the shelf a space is left that makes all the other books on the shelf fall over. Down here all four walls are bookshelves themselves with two rows of ten bookshelves placed in the middle. The floor is carpeted in a maroon color with black swirls and the ceiling is white, with several lanterns hanging from it that give the room a cozy feeling.

Putting all other thoughts out of my mind I make my way over to the fourth bookshelf in the row of ten.
Once there I bend down to reach the third shelf up from the floor; it's in an awkward position where I can't reach it while standing or sitting on the floor.
Recognizing the familiar dark-green hard-backed book with gold lettering on spine reading "Chants and Charms for Discovering Yourself" I pull it off the shelf and turn so that my back is leaning against the bookshelf, bringing my knees up closer to my chest. It's not really a thin book but it's not huge either. I think it's around three hundred pages, but I don’t really care and quickly turn to a page near the middle titled "Soul-Searching Charm." 

I noticed this page while flipping through the book about a week ago and I keep coming back to it. I'm a bit unsure but I've decided that I'm going the perform this "charm" since it all reality while I claim that having no friends is fine by me, it’s really not and I have a passion for music but I don’t see myself going anywhere. I feel like I'm in a time slip, reliving the same routine over and over again, from my house to school to the library to my house to a school to the library and on and on. Thus I feel like this charm is just right for me, maybe it'll even give me more direction in my life or something grand like that.

I haven't actually read it yet so here goes nothing.
Skimming the page I notice a disclaimer of how not to perform this charm while pregnant, ill or in various other circumstances, along with the actual charm,


I wish to see what I can be, what my future might hold.
To explore my past and find it meaning.
To be sure of my purpose in life.
Now let me go to the room of searching where all the possibilities lie.
 

Then moving towards the bottom of the page I see an asterisk followed by "This charm is unable to be performed until one has completed the “Aura Charm” located in volume five in the “Charm Assistants” series under the past/future category."

Well I wasn't expecting that.